Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

SHOW OFF! - How Do You Mark Your Balls?

So how did you come up with your mark?

In Highschool we got a sleeve of balls and at first I got the 3s, so I stuck with them as being my favorite numbers in the box. I saw this mark on one of my range balls except it was on top of the name instead of the number. It distracted me and I shrunk the dispersion.

Screen shot 2010-03-23 at 8.59.27 AM.png

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I mark my ball with 5 dots. Thats 5 on each side! 10 total. I get grief from some of my playing partners but one thing is for sure my ball never gets confused with any other players on the course. Plus when you mark both sides you usually can identify without having to lift ball when say it's in deeper rough. I always though marking both sides was the norm but i have friends who just don't seem to care about how or why they mark their ball! Colors vary, sometime blue,red,green what evver mood I guess!

Gamer

MP14s014.jpg

New ball maybe we'll see.....

MP14s012.jpg

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I put 4 dots around the logo forming a crosshairs-type look. I prefer to use blue marker is the logo is all black, black marker if the number is red. I used to put an "M" on the other side, but I stopped so that I could plausbibly deny that a ball hit into a window/street/backyard is mine.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

One red line through the side stamp.

Or a green clover..

yellow moon

blue stars...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I mark my ball with a red dot to the right of the number.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I'm really daft about ball marking, but I just love the ritual of sitting down with a brand new dozen, unpacking them all, and marking them all up in a very specific way. Previously, I've been marking the 1's with 1 dot, the 2's with 2 dots, and likewise the 3's and 4's. Different colours for each number, and 6 marks per ball.

For my last box though, I've changed my ritual, and am now doing 2 colours, 2 dots, 6 sets per ball. So I'll pick 2 colour pens (different colour pairs per number), say red and black for 1's, blue and orange for 2's, etc, then do a pair of dots, one red, one black, in 6 positions per ball. This is so that there is always one position which is visible on the top of the ball, even if plugged.

Wow, it actually reads crazier than it actually is. I won't tell you about the chanting I do while marking :lol:

Anyone know a good OCD consultant/psychiatrist (delete as appropriate)? B)

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

They're magically delicious. Golf balls are a little rubbery though.

They're always stealing my lucky charms!!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I mark mine similar to Funky does except I had my initials "BEB".

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I'm really daft about ball marking, but I just love the ritual of sitting down with a brand new dozen, unpacking them all, and marking them all up in a very specific way. Previously, I've been marking the 1's with 1 dot, the 2's with 2 dots, and likewise the 3's and 4's. Different colours for each number, and 6 marks per ball.

For my last box though, I've changed my ritual, and am now doing 2 colours, 2 dots, 6 sets per ball. So I'll pick 2 colour pens (different colour pairs per number), say red and black for 1's, blue and orange for 2's, etc, then do a pair of dots, one red, one black, in 6 positions per ball. This is so that there is always one position which is visible on the top of the ball, even if plugged.

Wow, it actually reads crazier than it actually is. I won't tell you about the chanting I do while marking :lol:

Anyone know a good OCD consultant/psychiatrist (delete as appropriate)? B)

i just think you have WAY too much time on your hands. Let me guess - you're single?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Anyone know a good OCD consultant/psychiatrist (delete as appropriate)? :D

So after all this, is there time left in the day to..you know...play golf? :P

• SPY VIP

Wow, it actually reads crazier than it actually is. I won't tell you about the chanting I do while marking :D

Anyone know a good OCD consultant/psychiatrist (delete as appropriate)? :P

In honor of your efforts, I will no longer mark my ball. In the grand totaling of things, this will help to balance out the universe and make everything equal.

After the round, mine are custom tree marked anyway. :lol:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

i just think you have WAY too much time on your hands. Let me guess - you're single?

So after all this, is there time left in the day to..you know...play golf? :P

In honor of your efforts, I will no longer mark my ball. In the grand totaling of things, this will help to balance out the universe and make everything equal.

After the round, mine are custom tree marked anyway. ;)

Haha - nice replies guys, cheers. I'm happily married, with a 4yr old daughter, and I play as much golf as I can :) Just let me have this one little thing, and don't judge me :D

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

• SPY VIP

Haha - nice replies guys, cheers. I'm happily married, with a 4yr old daughter, and I play as much golf as I can :) Just let me have this one little thing, and don't judge me :D

And he bags a sabertooth, dangerous to all opponents on and off the green ;)

Volvo Intorqueo

A simple blue dot on the number does it for me. Nothing crazy or hard to remember.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

Haha - nice replies guys, cheers. I'm happily married, with a 4yr old daughter, and I play as much golf as I can :blink: Just let me have this one little thing, and don't judge me ;)

Buddy, we've got guys here with more shoes than Foot Locker, guys with more putters than rounds played/year...this is a judgment free zone for sure.

After the round, mine are custom tree marked anyway. :angry:

The mark that birch trees leave is actually pretty neat looking, except for the fact that your ball is shot.

Buddy, we've got guys here with more shoes than Foot Locker, guys with more putters than rounds played/year...this is a judgment free zone for sure.

Yes, lest we all be judged.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

The mark that birch trees leave is actually pretty neat looking, except for the fact that your ball is shot.

Not true. A little wobble in the ball counters the wobble in my swing.

Nothing but pure at that point.

Volvo Intorqueo

• 1 month later...

I use a green marker and connect 3 dots to make a clover and then draw a short stem. The rest of the guys in my group use red, black, and blue markers and had been before I started playing regularly. Green was the only color left, so I went with it and developed using a clover mark.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

So how did you come up with your mark?

In Highschool we got a sleeve of balls and at first I got the 3s, so I stuck with them as being my favorite numbers in the box. I saw this mark on one of my range balls except it was on top of the name instead of the number. It distracted me and I shrunk the dispersion.

I always write the number 24 on my ball.

• 1 month later...

I mark mine with a black "S" but if playing a hole with out of bounds with houses close by I play a ball with no markings - just in case!

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship