TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putting grips on with air compressor

What type/size of air compressor do you need if you want to install grips? thanks

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

It doesn't take much to put them on. Like WD said I'm in the 50-60psi range when I install as well. I got my compressor on sale at home depot a few years ago, can't remember exactly how much, but I think it was in the $100-$150 range. Nothing real high end.

I don't run any air tools with mine, just use it for swapping grips and filling tires. If that's all you will use it for then just about anything should work. Lot's of sub $100 options. I'd also recommend checking Craigslist.com. I see good deals on used tools all the time on there.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I use 12 psi installing and pulling. Pure recommends more but I use their gun and turn the pressure down. Your goal is to provide a space for the grip to glide on, not stretch it. I use an oil less compressor. Oiled compressors are quieter... And cost more. I've got one in the corner of the garage but only use it painting. You could repurpose a tire inflator pump though, as I know several people that have. Depends on your budget.

Make sure you use a protection device. Some people use PVC. I recommend against that. I've seen one explode on a friend before. I recommend clear tubing that has the cross laced fibers embedded found in the plumbing section. This keeps the grip from expanding but it won't explode like pressurized PVC.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I use 12 psi installing and pulling. Pure recommends more but I use their gun and turn the pressure down. Your goal is to provide a space for the grip to glide on, not stretch it. I use an oil less compressor. Oiled compressors are quieter... And cost more. I've got one in the corner of the garage but only use it painting. You could repurpose a tire inflator pump though, as I know several people that have. Depends on your budget.

Make sure you use a protection device. Some people use PVC. I recommend against that. I've seen one explode on a friend before. I recommend clear tubing that has the cross laced fibers embedded found in the plumbing section. This keeps the grip from expanding but it won't explode like pressurized PVC.

12psi? Are you also using mineral spirits to lube it? I like to use water.

Thanks guys. Good to hear I don't need a heavy duty one. It'd be nice to be able to put grips on and not have to wait for the solution to dry

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Any air compressor works. Most have a regulator where you can adjust the pressure. Less pressure is better because you can create a bulge in the grip with too much pressure and ruin some grips.

I have even done this with an emergency plug in the cigarette light tire pump just to see if it worked. It did but was irritating.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Get one big enough to run a cutoff tool in short bursts and you can use it to trim shafts too.

Something along these lines would work just fine for occasional home use:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/619508-powermate-2-gallon-side-stack-mini-air-compressor-combination-kit.html#.UXabIoLlXeQ

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I'm using an air tank with a regulator. No noise at all except the hissing. However it almost cost me my hands when I made a mistake assembling it and it blew off my hose connections. Blood literally sprayed the room and my hands were not feeling or looking very good. Luckily it was not as bad as it looked and after a couple of weeks healing, I was able to try again. This time I blew up a grip and learned the regulator was set way too high. :(

The thing is working now and I'm coming to the conclusion it was more trouble and expense than it's worth. I should have stayed with the hypo, contact cement, kerosene and pushing and pulling the grips. :lol:

Shambles

12psi? Are you also using mineral spirits to lube it? I like to use water.

No, nothing is used as a lube. I dip 1/2" of the butt end of the shaft into soapy water to get the grip started and that's it.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Tell me about the water and mineral spirits thing!

I've blown a few on... but always seem to have trouble the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so.

Are you using painter's tape. I believe some guys are. PURE doesn't suggest it.

Any tips will be appreciated!

I bought a portable $100 air compressor from Home Depot. I think it goes up to 240 psi, but I never use it for that. Works like a charm.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Hey guys,

I've blown a few on... but always seem to have trouble the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so.

Used regular masking tape when I first started -- don't anymore. Will usually just wet the shaft with a little water as well as the inside of the grip and blow it on with short bursts. The last little bit usually requires a bit of elbow grease, but it gets there.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have tried it with regular air compressor attachment and with the pure gun. That pure gun is a lifesaver. Grips go on and off super easy and that last inch or so is simple and you do not have to use anything. I have had a little trouble getting grips off though. I've bubbled a few. I'm going to have to try the soapy water trick from Rookie. That dud seems to always know what he's talking about.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I believe Pure used to actually recommend painters tape. I use build up tape on mine, but that's due to me wanting build up (3 wraps under the right hand and 1 full length).

In The Bag

Any air compressor works. Most have a regulator where you can adjust the pressure. Less pressure is better because you can create a bulge in the grip with too much pressure and ruin some grips.

I have even done this with an emergency plug in the cigarette light tire pump just to see if it worked. It did but was irritating.

Hey RoverRick, I have one of those as well.......how well did it work?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hey guys,

Welcome Bobber.,

I may have said this in an earlier post but here it is again.

I build up underneath my grips with regular masking tape so the grips will not slide on as easily as the bare shaft. Because of that I spray water, or typically, dunk the end of it in my ice chest and then wipe the tape to get it wet, and also get the inside of the grip wet.

Then I push down push down while giving it short bursts of air. Once I have the butt of the club seated at the end of the grip, I give an extra blast or two to get the water out.

Hey RoverRick, I have one of those as well.......how well did it work?

It eventually worked but not that well. I do not really recommend it. It took a long time to build up enough pressure and I had to use an adapter that I made to get the air in but it worked. The adapter was a plastic tee that I cut the top off and drilled a hole down through it get the air into it.

Hey Rook,

Tell me about your soapy water concoction please? Have you run across any particular grips that you can't blow on?

Tried a little soapy water last night - put a new grip on my 3-wood. Sucker slid on like a champ, with just a couple of shots of air. Slick! (in more ways that one laugh.gif)

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Hey Rook,

Tell me about your soapy water concoction please? Have you run across any particular grips that you can't blow on?

I've blown on leather, rubber, whatever Iomic calls their rubber, Super Stroke grips, belly grips, anything you can think of, I've blown on with air.

As far as the soapy water concoction, I usually cut the top out of a 20oz bottle and put 3-4 drops of dish soap in it and use the spray nozzle on the kitchen sink to agitate it. Let the bubbles settle and the. Just dunk the first 1/2" in the bottle from the butt end and slip the grip mouth over it. Put it in the vice. Then burst, burst, burst and its on.

In The Bag

I've blown on leather, rubber, whatever Iomic calls their rubber, Super Stroke grips, belly grips, anything you can think of, I've blown on with air.

As far as the soapy water concoction, I usually cut the top out of a 20oz bottle and put 3-4 drops of dish soap in it and use the spray nozzle on the kitchen sink to agitate it. Let the bubbles settle and the. Just dunk the first 1/2" in the bottle from the butt end and slip the grip mouth over it. Put it in the vice. Then burst, burst, burst and its on.

Thanks... I'll try that.

I have tried it with regular air compressor attachment and with the pure gun. That pure gun is a lifesaver. Grips go on and off super easy and that last inch or so is simple and you do not have to use anything. I have had a little trouble getting grips off though. I've bubbled a few. I'm going to have to try the soapy water trick from Rookie. That dud seems to always know what he's talking about.

I love the PURE gun from PUREGrips...I never thought putting on grips could be so easy. We are ordering a few different color sets from them with our logo on them and it's nice to be able to take the grips on and off without ruining them.

If you you having a hard time getting the grips off, use a little more air pressure to really open them up. We haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood) and have been adding and removing grips with the gun for months now.

BG.jpg

Hey Rook,

Are you dipping the end of the club, or the grip into the water?

Hey Rook,

Are you dipping the end of the club, or the grip into the water?

It just depends. I've done both and it's just what I feel like that day. I've dunked the mouth of the grip and the butt end of the club. Both work fine. I don't dip it very far because if you coat the whole thing it defeats the purpose of using air (so you can play immediately). If you only dip 1/2" to 1", you blow all the moisture/soap out when you seat it. I've also done it with spit before (long story, but let's just say I rigged up a tire inflator in my car off the outlet so I could adjust grips in my car, at the course. That way when I'm dialing in an adjustable club, I can adjust the grip on the spot. I don't use 360 grips, especially on the long clubs, so there is a graphic that is oriented how I like it (down). Plus, on my long clubs (hybrids, fairways and driver) I use Golf Pride Multi-Compounds logo down, so it has to be adjusted to feel right).

In The Bag

Archived