Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New TM Penta 5 Layer Ball

Jballmn

• SPY VIP

Well Taylormade said they would not send us anything to test until we had a forum...lol. I guess the blog format is not enough for them since they can't control the content. So maybe now we can get some of their balls to hit :)

#TruthDigest

Well Taylormade said they would not send us anything to test until we had a forum...lol. I guess the blog format is not enough for them since they can't control the content. So maybe now we can get some of their balls to hit :)

Looks like you guys should be getting some then!

Anybody else try them out yet?

Well Taylormade said they would not send us anything to test until we had a forum...lol. I guess the blog format is not enough for them since they can't control the content. So maybe now we can get some of their balls to hit :lol:

Boy that would be nice....but I hope they won't mind a real honest review. I will tell you if I like it or I don't. I'm a Titleist prov1X player but I'm always willing to try something else to see if there's something better for my game. But as of now nothing has de-bagged my Titleist.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Last weekend didn't work out for me to give the Penta's I have a try, but this weekend is looking very promising! I just hope the forecast doesn't change from now till the weekend.

Hope it works out for you! Let us know how you like them!

The taylormade penta is by far my favorite ball. The way it plays off irons is unlike any other ball. It's an experience you have to have firsthand to like

How is the ballflight? Shortgame?

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

From what I've heard it is a really good ball. If I like it as much as some of the reviewers than it will likely be my gamer in the 2010 season.

Curious to see how you like it. Let us know what you think after you play it!

I've only putted with it. Much softer than the TP Red. Would like to test it out on the course, but it just snowed here. :wub:

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

• SPY VIP

Don't know if my 105 swing speed could compress the core enough. Would try them but they are $15ish a sleeve. Maybe they will do some kind of demo sleeve give-a-way like wilson and cally do.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

How is the ballflight? Shortgame?

The ball seems to come out low off irons and rise, while still boring off the driver for more distance. It feels like you actually hit something instead of the super soft feel of a Pro-V1. Still just as soft around the greens as other leading balls.

Ball preference is so subjective. The only way to know if a ball will work for your game is to play it. That is true will all equipment but I think for even more so with balls. There are so many variables at work.

With that said, I haven't tried the Penta yet. I'm not sure my game justifies the cost. :lol:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Well Taylormade said they would not send us anything to test until we had a forum...lol. I guess the blog format is not enough for them since they can't control the content. So maybe now we can get some of their balls to hit :lol:

That's pretty snarky of Taylormade to do that. Wow.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

The taylormade penta is by far my favorite ball. The way it plays off irons is unlike any other ball. It's an experience you have to have firsthand to like

What do you mean how it's different off the irons? Did you play golf when there was Balata golf balls or wound golf balls? Do you mean they feel softer or do they fly different ie.. trajectory changes? I'd like to here more....

Thanks, Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

What do you mean how it's different off the irons? Did you play golf when there was Balata golf balls or wound golf balls? Do you mean they feel softer or do they fly different ie.. trajectory changes? I'd like to here more....

Thanks, Tim

I would like some more data too. The Bridgestone ball fitting at our course was very convincing with the data from the launch monitor. If TM can do the same, I'd try it. I bet Bridgestone will have some Penta's to compare this summer when they make the fitting rounds.

Volvo Intorqueo

I would like some more data too. The Bridgestone ball fitting at our course was very convincing with the data from the launch monitor. If TM can do the same, I'd try it. I bet Bridgestone will have some Penta's to compare this summer when they make the fitting rounds.

You can almost be certain of that.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Don't know if my 105 swing speed could compress the core enough. Would try them but they are $15ish a sleeve. Maybe they will do some kind of demo sleeve give-a-way like wilson and cally do.

Too many layers to compress. I'm not sure if my swing can handle the ball.

Titleist 909 D2 10.5 s

TM Burner TP 13 deg r

TM R7 16 deg r

Callaway 3 Ibrid 19 deg r

Epon 701 4-PW s

Gauge Design 52, 56 deg s

TM Inza

Yikes... $15 a sleeve?? That ball is $35.99 a doz at my shop. $60 a doz is extortion.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Yikes... $15 a sleeve?? That ball is $35.99 a doz at my shop. $60 a doz is extortion.

This was at Woodcreek GC in Roseville. Probably the day they hit the shelves. I think that it may have been an "off the top of the head" price when I asked.

I really never asked again and stayed in my B330RX happy-place.

Volvo Intorqueo

This was at Woodcreek GC in Roseville. Probably the day they hit the shelves. I think that it may have been an "off the top of the head" price when I asked.

I really never asked again and stayed in my B330RX happy-place.

Seriously, at my shop the B330RX and the Penta are the same price. Pro v1's are 39.00 all day long. NEVER pay $15 a sleeve for anything, unless it is a sleeve of SNPA's...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

Seriously, at my shop the B330RX and the Penta are the same price. Pro v1's are 39.00 all day long. NEVER pay $15 a sleeve for anything, unless it is a sleeve of SNPA's...

At this point, I think that it will be difficult moving away from the bridgestone. Not real sure why they need two models this year though. I would think that such a radical change in packaging would hurt recognition. New box looks like the other bridgestone offerings.

Volvo Intorqueo

At this point, I think that it will be difficult moving away from the bridgestone. Not real sure why they need two models this year though. I would think that such a radical change in packaging would hurt recognition. New box looks like the other bridgestone offerings.

I just got my hands on 2 of the new B330RX balls. B330RX and B330RXS. I plan on giving them a trial run here on Thursday if the weather holds. From what I've been told, the RXS is a bit softer and designed for slower swingspeeds than the RX. We shall see.

• SPY VIP

I just got my hands on 2 of the new B330RX balls. B330RX and B330RXS. I plan on giving them a trial run here on Thursday if the weather holds. From what I've been told, the RXS is a bit softer and designed for slower swingspeeds than the RX. We shall see.

So one of the new 330rx models is still like last year's model? That is good to hear.

Volvo Intorqueo

So one of the new 330rx models is still like last year's model? That is good to hear.

It is.. I think that Bstone just changed something in the mantle?? I can't really tell you the specifics without doing a little more research. but the new RX is supposed to be a replacement for the old RX.

We're they dipped in gold? Somebody had to have marked them wrong...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived