TESTERS WANTED! ×

MWT Real or Placebo?

Movable Weight Technology, MWT, as I am sure most people know is the moving of weight around the perimeter of the club to effect the ball flight. This has been around for a few years and is available now with many of today's drivers. I have two TaylorMades and a Callaway that have that now.

This weekend, I changed the weights around on the R9 Super Deep. I simply swapped the 12 g and 15 g weights. I really am not sure that 6 grams of weight change would make a great deal of distance but here is what I observed.

Before this "drastic" change I hit fades 85% of the time and 10% they went straight and perhaps 5% were slices or pull slices. However, the ball flight was high and very little run out. I had gotten the Super Deep because I spin the ball a lot and get no more than about 10 feet of roll with even the driver, unless I hit a low running shot. But a high deep drive did not run at all.

After changing this, I did see the ball flight alter just a bit. It is easier to work the ball either direction now. But the major difference is that I gained about 20 yards off of the bounce of the ball. It now hits and runs. Hitting a draw with this driver is a new thing for me and, well, honestly, I did not have my best stuff this weekend. I sprayed the ball all over the place with my irons and while it is not unusual to hit 13 of 14 fairways but this weekend I hit maybe half of them. This also was from over swinging because I wanted more yards but on the roughly half that I did not over swing I did see dramatic results in spin if nothing else.

So back to my question, is MWT really effective for you or is this simply the placebo effect? Because I think it will be easier to hit a draw, I set up and hit the draw and get the same results even though this is not really enough weight to make any difference.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

It should have the same effect as putting lead tape on a club, but a much cleaner way to do it. Couldn't say how much lead tape makes a difference though. Maybe that's a placebo effect. Certainly not a new idea.

I had a DFS version of an Adam's 9064LS that had some weighting options. Can't say I noticed much difference with it. But I hit the thing so high I didn't keep it long. I didn't experiment with it as much as I should have I guess. The driver I have now is not adjustable, but I hit it better than anything I've tried before.

I haven't a clue whether it does anything to the flight really. If you subscribe to Wishon, he says the amount of weight isn't enough to have an impact.

That being said, I love MWT. Not because of anything to do with ball flight, simply because it makes fixing the swing weights on heads so easy and cheap for those of us who player shorter drivers (43.75 typically).

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I haven't a clue whether it does anything to the flight really. If you subscribe to Wishon, he says the amount of weight isn't enough to have an impact.

That being said, I love MWT. Not because of anything to do with ball flight, simply because it makes fixing the swing weights on heads so easy and cheap for those of us who player shorter drivers (43.75 typically).

I think Wishon is right about this as far as my experience with MWT is concerned. However there have been other players I've met that felt there was a difference regardless that I could neither see or feel it. I let those clubs go for a song some time ago. I felt no desire to try them again at some future date and felt there was nothing there I wanted.

Shambles

Wishon says it doesn't work, Wishon sells clubs without MWT. Wishon says that decoupling loft and lie and face angle don't work, Wishon sells fixed hosel designs. Wishon then claims he does this testing just because he's curious, and makes sure to publish the results where lots of golfers will see them. I agree with the decoupling loft and lie and face angle because I've got a Nike here and it's very easy to see visually when you change the loft, the face angle closes. But his methodology for releasing data seems kind of self serving as well. I've seen MWT in action as well, I know what happens to my ball flight when I change the weights. And I still say that when you use the stock 10 gram 1 gram, for example's sake, on the R11/R11S/R1, you're actually moving 19 grams, not 9, because you move them polarly. Regardless of if it's placebo or not, I've seen the ball flight changes with my two eyes.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It has to impact CG.

Posted Image

Wishon says it doesn't work, Wishon sells clubs without MWT. Wishon says that decoupling loft and lie and face angle don't work, Wishon sells fixed hosel designs. Wishon then claims he does this testing just because he's curious, and makes sure to publish the results where lots of golfers will see them. I agree with the decoupling loft and lie and face angle because I've got a Nike here and it's very easy to see visually when you change the loft, the face angle closes. But his methodology for releasing data seems kind of self serving as well. I've seen MWT in action as well, I know what happens to my ball flight when I change the weights. And I still say that when you use the stock 10 gram 1 gram, for example's sake, on the R11/R11S/R1, you're actually moving 19 grams, not 9, because you move them polarly. Regardless of if it's placebo or not, I've seen the ball flight changes with my two eyes.

I am also curious and share my findings when occasion allows. However I am much more limited as I do not have access to as many clubs and shafts nor do I have the money, time and energy or equipment to deal with all that many. I very much agree with the bulk of Wishon's findings including fixed hosels. As a matter to note, a few years back when adjustable hosels were first introduced they were given a cold welcome by consumers and it is only now in the face of heavy marketing efforts that they are being given more attention. I have one adjustable hosel design that I disliked and is now sitting in a corner waiting for another day, and have also tried the MWT which I disliked so much I let them go as I had no thoughts of exploring them further.

BTW, I am not in the business of selling clubs other than the rare ones I don't want to keep, or fixing other peoples clubs. I'm selfish that way. :)

Shambles

This is a +1 for me, you put this very well. If I move the weight, or make changes with the loft, lie, and face, the flight of the ball changes, whether or not the so called experts say if has any effect, it has an effect for me, and it must have some effect for the Pro's as well, since the majority of them use these MWT type clubs.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 3 weeks later...

I was playing golf with one of my nephews last week, and something about this thread occurred to me. He is gaming an R11

And he is a long bomber, I mean I would hit it 300 and he would be at 340, when he hit it straight, he had a huge problem with his driver he hit 280 yard power slices, every time, so I asked him if he had played around with the weights, or face plate, or anything, and he said he had not, so I told him to make an adjustment because he couldn't hit it at all, he used his 3 iron from the deck on all of his tee shots, 240 every time straight down the middle, anyway back to the driver and how it relates to this thread, he made one adjustment, he moved the face plate on the bottom to closed position, nd he never sliced it again, he hit everything down the left side of the fairway, and loooong, and then it hit me, the MWT, and VFT in particular cant in and of itself change the swing, but by soleing the club at address your grip position on the club changes, therefore you will grip the club in a more closed position, you can change your grip on any club, but with the by moving the plate it will help you grip the club in a consistent manner, it takes the guess work out of it. Anyway, just my thoughts on how it could work.

Also, a little info about my nephew before some of you call BS, he is 23 yo, and is 6'2", if he would take his game a little more seriously he could easily play on the web.com tour, but he is one of those people who doesn't take anything serious, so I doubt he will even try. It's sad.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Since starting this thread, I have also made the adjustment on my R11. Now it has never been and will never be as long R9 Super Deep because of the spin, however, it is more forgiving. The R11 is now a monster for me. I really have been hitting much longer shots, 20 yards longer, with the MWT. Of course this is because it is rolling instead of hopping and stopping. It is a draw that runs not a fade that stops.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 1 month later...

Wishon also makes it a point to say things like "most golfers" or "those with a late release" when discussing specs, because most golfers won't notice the oh-so-slight changes. All the Tour pros here obviously are the 2% who don't apply.

I was just reading about this today from Wishon because I lead taped a wedge to get a higher swing weight and wanted to hear his thoughts. He said that it works to move weight but it had to be a 25 gram change to make a difference and no more than 40 grams or you screw up the driver because it moves the sweet spot away from the center of the club face. so If you switch a 10 gram and a 1 gram weight I would say you are moving 19 grams which he says is not enough weight for the cg to change the gear effect. But it seems close and so I think that if you had refined feel you might be able to tell a small difference.

Also, while we are on weighting, how much weight is too much in the head. I took lead tape and moved my 64 degree wedge head weight up quite a bit today. It feels way more stable, but when does it start having diminishing returns?

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Archived