TESTERS WANTED! ×

Thinking about swapping... Again...

In thinking about swapping irons again (or at least iron heads). While I LOVE the Split Cavity Protos, they're not very forgiving for a CB. So I'm looking at more modern players cavity irons (though I'm not certain the CMB qualifies). What I'm wondering are what are some unbiased/non-fanboy opinions on the irons I mentioned above? I'm sure every one I listed are more forgiving than my Splits. But I also still want to be able to work the ball some as well as enjoy my days when I actually get to play a little more. Regardless of the irons I'll be putting DG Tour Issues in them, sorry, hate C-Tapers and KBS Tours launch too high in every iron I've ever tried with them (love the feel though). Never have gotten along with PX steelies (though I game and love my PXv Tour). So its the tried and true DGTI for me. So, I don't want to hear your "I play this and never tried any of the others", etc. I want opinions of these irons, good or bad, and what you like and don't like.

Let me qualify by stating I've never owned Cally nor Ping irons. Always had Mizzy, Adams, TMag, Nike, etc. Not big on Titleist's current offerings. And also, if you got the clubs listed above for free and are gonna comment, make sure you specifically list negatives for sure, I want to make sure the opines are unbiased.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Are there currently sets you are looking at? You didn't really mention any specific irons that you are interested in.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Nearest Dick's has a Callaway cart and I was able to hit the new X Forged 6 iron. I had a TT GS-95 S300 in it and I think I could game these (12 hdcp).

Are there currently sets you are looking at? You didn't really mention any specific irons that you are interested in.

Forgetful...

I'm looking at Callaway XHot Pros, Rocketbladez Tour, Ping i20, Adams CMB.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I just started playing the Adams CMB this season. I've only got 2 rounds on them so far and it might be a little bit before I get any more in as it's snowing right now and we are under a winter storm warning. So these are just my initial impressions based on the first two rounds of the season.

I think they look fantastic both in the bag and at address. I feel very confident when standing over the ball and I've never thought that they were too big or had too much offset. Feel was pretty good for me. My previous irons were a combo set of Scratch SB/AR's and I think the CMB's felt every bit as smooth as those on good hits. You definitely know when you flush it. On mis-hits you will lose distance. I don't think they were as punishing as the SB's, probably more in line with the AR series. I had no problem working the ball from left to right, don't ask about the other way cause I can't hit a draw on purpose to save my life.

Overall I'm looking forward to playing these once I get back into golf shape. I wish I could say they are perfect club for me, but to be honest I'm still looking at different irons again. Like you, I think I would benefit from something with even more forgiveness. I really want to hit both versions of the Rocketbladez and see if they live up to the hype that all the reviews have given them on MGS. I really think that has more to do with the state of my game at the moment than any deficiency with the CMB's though.

When you consider the price of a good set of used CMB's I definitely think they would be worth trying out. However based on only two rounds with a somewhat inconsistent swing I can't say they are best thing I've ever played. I'm really debating finding something in the JPX lineup or the Rocketbladez to try out and see if I can stand looking at a GI club for an entire round.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I won't be buying the JPX line, hit those and hated them. I've always loved Mizzy, but those were a big miss for me.

In The Bag

For what it's worth, when I spent ages testing out the Pro Combo's the CMB's were the next finalist. If the splits aren't getting it done in the forgiveness department, the CMB's won't be any better. Well, that's not entirely true. The CMB's were slightly better on toe shots which I presume is due to the tungsten slugs placed out there. Otherwise, aside from feel/sound, they play very much the same.

I've enjoyed the RBZ Tour's each time I've hit them, but loft for loft, they seem shorter distance wise then they should be. I don't have an explination yet but it seems a lot of people over on WRX have said the same thing.

X Hot Pro's and the I20's ratchet the forgiveness level up a bunch over the three discussed above. Be careful when sorting out what you want with the XHP's though. I found an odd tendency to draw the ball with them. I haven't been able to try them with anything but the PX Flighted though, so it very well could be a shaft thing.

The i20's do have the benefit of seeing a $100 price drop as of today off a set of irons since the i25's are on the way. I believe you're a sweeper swinger though, so I'm not sure these would be the best match. The COG of the iron head is higher then the COG of a golf ball. IE if you're missing thin, or coming level into the ball, you are not pulling the maximum out of performance out of the head.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

For what it's worth, when I spent ages testing out the Pro Combo's the CMB's were the next finalist. If the splits aren't getting it done in the forgiveness department, the CMB's won't be any better. Well, that's not entirely true. The CMB's were slightly better on toe shots which I presume is due to the tungsten slugs placed out there. Otherwise, aside from feel/sound, they play very much the same.

I've enjoyed the RBZ Tour's each time I've hit them, but loft for loft, they seem shorter distance wise then they should be. I don't have an explination yet but it seems a lot of people over on WRX have said the same thing.

X Hot Pro's and the I20's ratchet the forgiveness level up a bunch over the three discussed above. Be careful when sorting out what you want with the XHP's though. I found an odd tendency to draw the ball with them. I haven't been able to try them with anything but the PX Flighted though, so it very well could be a shaft thing.

The i20's do have the benefit of seeing a $100 price drop as of today off a set of irons since the i25's are on the way. I believe you're a sweeper swinger though, so I'm not sure these would be the best match. The COG of the iron head is higher then the COG of a golf ball. IE if you're missing thin, or coming level into the ball, you are not pulling the maximum out of performance out of the head.

Opposite of a sweeper here, lol. I create beaver pelts when I hit balls.

In The Bag

Opposite of a sweeper here, lol. I create beaver pelts when I hit balls.

My bad, not sure where I picked that up from.

I'd be leaning towards the i20's then.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Rookie I'm curious why you wouldn't try the MP 53's - they seem to fit the profile of what you're going for and you've already said you love Mizzies.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Go and give the I20's a go, I'd been using forged clubs for years (bridgestone, taylormade, mizuno and cleveland) but I can't say my i20's feel a lot firmer (a bit but not a lot). The bonus is the they are more forgiving and I've found perform better...... Now rocketbladez may be longer but the i20's are pretty damn long and so easy to hit and i find they spin a lot.

But of course that's just for me, they ain't pretty from certain angles but aren't nearly as big when over a ball.

I've also found the ping CFS shafts to be as good, if not better, than the project x ones in my bridgestone j36's - stock ping shafts seem to be pretty damn good. Recently tried the g25 driver (didn't like the head) and the tour ping shaft was brilliant.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I'm a DGTI guy. That's all ill play, club snob? You betcha.

In The Bag

3 and 4 iron don't much matter for me, I carry a 5 iron-PW, 4 wedges, driver, fwy, hybrid and putter.

In The Bag

When I moved to the pings I tried everything else first! i've been a snob for years about forged versus cast clubs. I tried every forged iron I could before picking up the I20's and even then tried all the non stock shafts first!

Like RP I don't reckon I can tell I'm hitting a cast or forged most of the time, the exception being when I hit a bad shot! With my bridgeys it felt like I'd broken an arm when I hit one out of the toe and the result was awful - the feel on a mishit isn't nearly a bad and the result is sooooo much better.

Seriously blown away by the CFS shafts and how controllable they are, I can balloon iron shots but these were so much more penetrating than the other options I tried.

Complaints? Well I chip with lots of clubs not just wedges and shots like bump and runs need a little bit more thought with a bigger cavity back club. They don't have as much control for those type of shots and I can't work them like I used to.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I've gamed the i20's for over a year now. I was fit for them with the TTDG S300 (like you, the KBS shafts launch too high for me). I played forged irons before the i20's- mostly Dynacrafts and Maltby's. Anyway, I love 'em. I miss more often than I think I should, and my misses tend to be out toward the toe. These are very forgiving on those shots. Distance is very good, as is their feel IMO. Pure shots feel great (don't they always?), and like I said, misses don't beat you up. I had never hit Ping clubs before buying these, and I hit practically everything else (TMAG, Wilson, Titleist, Nike, Mizuno, etc.) on my fitting day before trying the i20's. They were eye-opening, to say the least. Anyway, a year in the bag and not likely to leave it any time soon. As an added bonus, they have helped me drop my GHIN from 19 to 13.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

When I moved to the pings I tried everything else first! i've been a snob for years about forged versus cast clubs. I tried every forged iron I could before picking up the I20's and even then tried all the non stock shafts first!

Like RP I don't reckon I can tell I'm hitting a cast or forged most of the time, the exception being when I hit a bad shot! With my bridgeys it felt like I'd broken an arm when I hit one out of the toe and the result was awful - the feel on a mishit isn't nearly a bad and the result is sooooo much better.

Seriously blown away by the CFS shafts and how controllable they are, I can balloon iron shots but these were so much more penetrating than the other options I tried.

Complaints? Well I chip with lots of clubs not just wedges and shots like bump and runs need a little bit more thought with a bigger cavity back club. They don't have as much control for those type of shots and I can't work them like I used to.

Westy I don't know if you've ever tried chipping with your hybrid but I've found that by using that and the wedges I can play whatever shot I want and not have to worry about fusing with my irons around the greens. In this way I'm only concerned about how they perform on approach shots and am not tempted to judge them based on a collateral usage. I've found that I can chip with any hybrid that I've ever owned or tried although my preference is for a 23 - seems to get the right combo of lift and control.

You guys are almost making me wish I considered the i20's having once been a Ping guy. However my 800 pros should be in the den when I arrive home and they are going to get bagged once I'm comfortable with them come hell or high water.

Good luck on your quest Rookie - you recall my experience with the Adams player's club - once I got the right shaft in them they were beautiful I just wanted a touch more GI than they offered - my son still uses them and hits them great. He had them reshafted with something a bit stronger and heavier.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev, as you know, I've always loved Adams clubs (wished I had at least 2 sets back, maybe 3 if I count the A-Tour Red Hosels).

That said I've never hit a Ping I loved because of their material they use in their castings feeling clicky. I've never met someone that wasn't a huge Ping loyalist that had been playing forged that liked the feel. That said, I'll be hitting them before making my opinion on them.

The RBladez, I'm thinking, might not be exactly what I'm looking for. It's either love or hate on everything I've seen and no in between. I'm considering going back a generation or 2 on Adams as well. Problem is finding some that are minty fresh and in good shape (I'm particular about my sticks).

Damnit, I've got a lot of stuff I need to do and also get everything around the house done as well. Maybe I can swing by the local big box and demo a few when I go trade pistols later. Long as I'm back by 630 so I can go with the wifey to pick up the little guy's b-day gift,

In The Bag

1367513459[/url]' post='102254']

Westy I don't know if you've ever tried chipping with your hybrid but I've found that by using that and the wedges I can play whatever shot I want and not have to worry about fusing with my irons around the greens. In this way I'm only concerned about how they perform on approach shots and am not tempted to judge them based on a collateral usage. I've found that I can chip with any hybrid that I've ever owned or tried although my preference is for a 23 - seems to get the right combo of lift and control.

You guys are almost making me wish I considered the i20's having once been a Ping guy. However my 800 pros should be in the den when I arrive home and they are going to get bagged once I'm comfortable with them come hell or high water.

Good luck on your quest Rookie - you recall my experience with the Adams player's club - once I got the right shaft in them they were beautiful I just wanted a touch more GI than they offered - my son still uses them and hits them great. He had them reshafted with something a bit stronger and heavier.

Yep like to chip with the hybrid, really only from the fringe where as I'll bump and run with a 7iron from 40 yards and more. With the old cleveland halo used to use that for so much round the green. We've had two very wet summers on the bounce though and that's put pay to hitting it in low - very dry at the moment so getting back into the habit.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I got to demo the Pings and the XHot Tours about 20 swings each tonight (they were closing). Also hit the S56 and S57. They didn't have the RBladez Tour or CMB to demo (Golfsmith too, and no Bladez demos after all that marketing). Anyway, on to the point. The XHot Pros had PX 95's in them and felt like crap (shafts and way too light). Liked all 3 of the Pings and forgiveness being king, the i20 are in the lead currently.

In The Bag

Archived