TESTERS WANTED! ×

Paint Fill kit

I was on ebay looking at clubs and came accross a paint fill kit for $30. Comes with 6 colors and then a small tube with a needle so you can stay in the lines and have less of a hassel with painting. Any one seen or tried this? I thought for $30 it couldn't hurt to try.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

I was on ebay looking at clubs and came accross a paint fill kit for $30. Comes with 6 colors and then a small tube with a needle so you can stay in the lines and have less of a hassel with painting. Any one seen or tried this? I thought for $30 it couldn't hurt to try.

Nothing you can't get at your local Hobby shop. And you can pick your own colors.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

See thats what I thought too but I mean the kit comes with 6 colors of your choice. I just liked the idea of a small bottle of paint with a needel at the end that could fill the space on the club and not have to worry about a real steady hand with a paint brush. Unless there is something like that at the hobby store. Guess I'll habve to go look this weekend.

I bought one of these paint kits and it has worked great so far and the paint actually stays on the club. I painted my clubs at the begining of last season and haven't had to touch them up yet. The hardest part is making sure you get all of the paint out of the needles that are supplied once you're done painting. Other than that it is worth the $30!

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

I bought one of these paint kits and it has worked great so far and the paint actually stays on the club. I painted my clubs at the begining of last season and haven't had to touch them up yet. The hardest part is making sure you get all of the paint out of the needles that are supplied once you're done painting. Other than that it is worth the $30!

I am glad someone could finally answer this with some actual feedback. Would you mind posting up some pictures of what you painted?

The paint kit is simply paint poured into needle tipped bottles. You can get A-West needle tipped bottles at most hobby shops, if you can't find them, you can purchase them online at the following URL http://www.hobbymasters.com/a-weststainlessneedle-pointapplicatorbottle.aspx

They're $3.40 each for the bottles with needle tips.

Then you simply fill them with the paint of your choice. I, personally, prefer Tamiya X-Acrylics, again available at most hobby stores. Here is Tamiya's site http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/archive.htm They have literally tons of colors to choose from in several finishes. scalehobbyist.com has them for under $2 for a 10 mL bottle, which is enough to do tons of clubs. You could do 6 bottles and a lot more paint for a lot less than $30.

I like being able to select my colors in person as well, so I pick all of them up at HobbytownUSA in person. It's cheap and I can get what I want.

As for how they work (which the kits will work the same), I only use needle tipped bottles. I've seen other methods, such as paintbrushes, toothpicks, etc. None of them work as well as the bottles. Why? Several reasons. There are fibers in the brushes which can contaminate the finish by leaving small fibers behind that dry and get trapped in the paint. The toothpicks can chip and do the same thing. You can also use a needle itself and do it, but it's very time consuming because it's hard to pick up much paint because of the needle's texture. All 3 of those methods are notorious for creating air bubbles as well. The needle tipped bottles never leave air bubbles for me and there are no contaminants. Plus, you can cap them off and store the paint for use later. It's a win win.

You simple squeeze the paint out through the needle tip and then take a piece of a cereal box you've cut out to use as a squigee to wipe the excess away. Let it dry and give it a swipe with a piece of t-shirt dipped in acetone and you're done. Simplest process out there for the best results.

Another tip I have for cleaning your needles is I put a little paint thinner into an empty bottle and then remove the needle from the one I've used and put it on the one with paint thinner in it. Squeeze the thinner through the needle until it runs clear and you're done. Sit it aside to air dry.

The thing I like about the Tamiya x-acrylic paint I recommended is that for me, it's lasted the longest. I haven't had to clean up or fix any paintfill on any clubs yet, and I do hundreds a year. I've tried Testors, Model Masters, Mr. Color, and several others and none compare as far as color selection, ease of use and durability as the Tamiya. Plus, aside from flat and gloss colors they also offer translucents.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Dang thanks a lot Rookie. I was hoping someone could give me the type of info that you just did. I'll look into the Tamiya paints and needle tipped bottles. But the link to the bottles has sizes and I was wondering what sizes you use?

I have them in the smallest 3 sizes 0.016, 0.020, and 0.025 inside diameter. The Smallest is used for more precision and the largest is used when there's a fairly large area. Depending on the application, I use a different size.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 1 month later...

buy testor enamel paints, or tamiya acrylic and use a toothpick as your brush, really easy and cheap and fun ;)

Scotty Cameron Tour P330 Fastback (A015066),

Scotty Cameron Tour P330 Squareback,

Scotty Cameron Inspired By Brad Faxon,

More just cant write them all in here :)

Dang thanks a lot Rookie. I was hoping someone could give me the type of info that you just did. I'll look into the Tamiya paints and needle tipped bottles. But the link to the bottles has sizes and I was wondering what sizes you use?

When I had my Wishon putter custom stamped and paintfilled by Lamont (Mannkrafted Putters) I supplied him with Tamiya Acrylic paints. His response was that they were the best paints that he had ever used. Now you have to know - custom work is his bread and butter and for that kind of testimonial to come from a pro should say it all.

In addition he told me that the color "pop" was the brightest that he had ever used.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

One other thing - do not waste your money on the ebay kit - Tamiya can be had for @ 3.50 and you can get any color that you desire.

You can experiment on your own with any of the application tips that members have suggested here. Remember - Acrylic = Water Base so any mistake can easily be taken care of with a damp rag -

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Archived