Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Specific Fitness with Andrea Austin Fitness

Golf Specific Fitness

SPY ZINGER at Andrea Austin Fitness-St. Paul, Minnesota

In the summer of 2001, I met Andrea Austin, a strength and conditioning coach that forever changed my life. At the time, Andrea was a trainer at the gym I belonged to. Prior to hiring her, I watched all of the trainers for a while. I paid attention to the workouts they provided to their clients and their interaction with her. It was also important to me that the trainer I hired, readily appeared to put into practice what they teach. That summer, I hired her, and together, we went to work on transforming my mind, body and nutrition to achieve my specific goals. I worked out with her for about four days per week for a period of five months. During that time, I learned a great deal about myself and built a solid foundation of fitness and nutrition. A foundation that I continue to reference to this day to achieve both long and short term goals. Mission accomplished.

Today, Andrea operates her own boutique fitness studio in St. Paul, Minnesota. Inside, Andrea operates one of the most professional, and well organized small businesses I have ever seen. People who are there come for one reason, to leave a little better than they arrived. Andrea is successful because the delivery of her training is technical, yet simple to understand. She'll take you to a point with your body that you never believed possible. Then, step on the throttle just a bit more to make the point, you can achieve what you desire if you are willing to work. Andrea is one of the best in the business and I am proud to call her a friend, and when needed, my strength coach.

Recently, I have toned down the strength aspect of strength coach. At 36, weight training is not as important to me as it once was. However, being strong and flexible enough to make the everyday activities I do in life easier, is now more important than ever. This is especially relevant in my golf game. As difficult as it is to hear, I have convinced myself I am not going to be on any tour anywhere. Ever. It's just not going to happen. I am secure knowing that I am going to have a game in the 80's and maybe once a year, shoot a 78 or 79. That's when the stars align, and my hack chop movement is timed just right for 18 holes. Yes, I see a PGA Professional, but I just don't have the time to practice right now to become much better.

With that said, one of the areas I have redirected focus is in golf specific fitness. How can I improve in the area of nutrition, strength training, flexibility, and endurance to make this game a littler easier as time goes on. Over the years, I have seen a great deal of interest in this area in the golf forums. I thought it would be enjoyable to bring you some of those area's I am focusing on. Andrea did as well, and we are putting together a little Podcast series focused on golf specific fitness. The first one really is an introduction to what the series will cover. Later episodes will include video so you can see some of the movements as well. I will keep them organized right in this thread.

Introduction to the Podcast Series (Listen Here):

http://andreaaustinfitness.podomatic.com/entry/2013-05-11T18_21_05-07_00

All of her Podcasts on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/andrea-austin-fitness/id590039350?mt=2

Andrea:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Andrea.Austin.Fitness.Inc?fref=ts

376038_270069923040855_1212572362_n.jpg314377_240046362709878_1135096770_n.jpg

SPY ZINGER Goal Movement #1:

425201_308192119228635_717221766_n.jpg

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

CORE WORKOUT FOR GOLFERS

With Andrea Austin and SPY ZINGER

968826_527179407329904_1255247853_n.png

In the previous podcast that introduced this golf specific fitness initiative, Andrea introduced the Fitness Pie to me. It's basically a four prong approach to total fitness in golf and life. This YouTube video covers some of the core workouts I have been doing to maximize strength. Obviously, the goal here is for golf, but by default, will work in other areas of life.

The video is obviously very raw and meant to invoke some humor. However, content is excellent and the exercises work very well for golf. They key is actually doing them, and continuing to do them over time. When I arrived for this workout, I was in my standard Nike Dri-Fit T-shirt. Andrea would have none of it, and forced me into her personal tank right off her back, which had to be extra small. Regardless, much like anything else I wear, I make it look better once it's on and this was no exception.

Also, watch it on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-21-core-workout-for/id590039350?i=160032034&mt=2

Posted Image

this chic knows whats she's doing! It seems most of trainers at the big gyms focus on strength and conditioning and not a whole lot on felixibilty and core strength. Folks think since they bench 250lbs they can hit a golf ball a long way. Its all about flexibility and core strength.

Plus, spy zinger gets to film a hot chic in a gym!?! last time i tried to do that, i got kicked out! (totally kidding...mostly)

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

this chic knows whats she's doing! It seems most of trainers at the big gyms focus on strength and conditioning and not a whole lot on felixibilty and core strength. Folks think since they bench 250lbs they can hit a golf ball a long way. Its all about flexibility and core strength.

Plus, spy zinger gets to film a hot chic in a gym!?! last time i tried to do that, i got kicked out! (totally kidding...mostly)

That guy you describe is/was me. I am trying to get better in other areas as well. It's tough on the body to over train in select areas.

Obviously, we're having a bit of fun with the video, and I really don't wear her shirts around (although, as you can see, I certainly could very well). But, Andrea is one of the top trainers in the area and it's really cool shes able to help me in this way. Just the same, I am glad that she is letting me bring it to you guys too if you have any interest.

A nice thing with her, is you don't have to be local to train with her. For as little as $25 (I think) you can set up a program together online via her website.

The next video will focus on some Yoga movements, and we'll do it on course.

Sure, Andrea is a 'hot chic' as you describe her, but let's be clear, I am and remain the focus. She's the lucky one.

Posted Image

Archived