CLUB TESTERS WANTED - COBRA AMP CELL IRONS

Our Sponsors

DSC07882-1680x1050.jpg

GHIN: 32.6 (NCGA)

I am a mechanical engineer with 31 years+ experience, and a freelance golf writer in my spare time (Will o'the Glen on Golf and San Jose Golf Examiner). I relish the opportunity to face off the Cobra Amp Cell irons against the Bridgestone J40 Dual-Pocket Cavity Back irons I just put in my bag, and my old-school Hogan Apex Plus cavity backs. Cobra-Puma products are about innovation and style. As an engineer and a golf writer I make a point of staying on top of the latest innovations in the game, and with my engineering background and my experience in the world of golf, I believe that I am uniquely positioned to evaluate the Cobra Amp Cell irons on all aspects of their design.

About the photo: The image that I chose to include with my post is a shot of Ben Crenshaw making his approach to the 9th green at Pebble Beach during final round of the 2009 First Tee Open. Pebble is one of my favorite places on earth, and I go there as often as I can. Walking those fairways and covering tournaments there is my idea of heaven. With the great golf courses of the Monterey Peninsula just down the road (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area), I will have plenty of opportunity to test these new Cobra irons on some outstanding golf courses.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a registered handicap, so it's roughly about 23.

I'm truly passionate about the sport. I've attached the a photo of the golfing greens in Mammoth.

As far as epitomizing the Cobra-Puma spirit, I'm always up to the challenge. I'm uniquely my own and always looking to perfecting my shots. I can definitely read when the shots are going in. And I just truly enjoy it. And while Rickie's one of my favorites. I also follow those who are affiliated with other brands and even golfed with Brandt Snedeker when he was with the Nation's tour. I always take advantage of opportunities in learning about new technologies. Let's see if this technology can improve my game. I've already got the Callaway Hex Chrome+ balls on the way from "Hit the Links" to test out too.

a. Ladies Flex/10-12 degrees loft/25"-27" (male equivalent)

b. Adjustable/Ladies Flex (male equivalent)

c. Right-Handed

d. San Diego

e. -18

I've been a huge fan of the forum; finally had to post for this one! Luckily, I happen to be one of the rare Earthlings who actually reside on Earth! I currently shoot in the low 100's, but am working on improving my biggest struggle, inconsistent iron play.

golfphoto_zpse40cea28.jpg

I embody the spirit of Cobra-PUMA Golf by never settling and always trying to improve. Being a strapping (emphasis on strapping) young male who loves to compete with friends and family, I always look for a competitive performance advantage and feel that everything these irons stand for and have been shown to do would help me tremendously. I have really gotten into golf the last couple of years and am well behind the skill set of the players I go out with. The Amp Cell irons hopefully help my learning curve by allowing me to consistently hit straighter and longer iron shots.

Unfortunately my wife controls the checkbook or the Amp Cell's would have been added to my bag back in March, but I have added 2-3 rounds per week to my calendar throughout the rest of 2013 and would love to have the opportunity to review this set. My goals for 2013 include reducing my average round to be in the 80's; this is not an easy task, but something that I have committed myself to and will achieve. A high quality and highly touted set of irons would be a great step in the right direction towards improving my golf game. Of course as Cobra-Puma Golf knows “when you look better, you feel better; and when you feel better, you play better”. Plus, who wouldn't play better with this set of long and sexy clubs?

Driver: Taylormade R9 8.5° S

Fairway Wood: TBD
Irons: Cobra Amp 4i-9i
Wedges: SCOR 4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Rossie XG

Bag: TBD

Hcp 15

I love the game. I will mix and match colour and will try new adventures when I can. You will likely find me working at golf or trying to get better at it in my off time. With my current set up I would be the perfect candidate to try out these clubs. Being a lefty it is always good o see reviews for the minority out there.

The picture shows the current setup and the new cell ions would look great in this bag.

image.jpg

Well, after a few long months of sitting on the couch I feel that my golf game is starting to move n he right direction. My handicap is now around a 15 and moving... Not really sure where it's moving, but I hope it's warm and I can come along...

Anyway, my pic is my newest club. An early 1910's Abercrombie and Fitch niblick. I found it in my basement this weekend and I plan to hit it on the range for a few tomorrow... Should be interesting...

UqvO2ZU.jpg?1

So, how do I represent Cobra PUMA golf... I'm youngish (I feel young at least), and I'd like to think I have style. For the longest time I was self conscious about my game, and felt that I shouldn't have nice clubs or clothes, and that how I look should reflect my game. Well, a couple things happened. My game improved, as did my confidence. I realized that golf is a game I play for me, and I should play the way I feel comfortable. For me that meant wearing brighter colors, fun patterns, and looking like a force to be reckoned with. I love walking out onto the first tee and feeling like I belong there.

Since I joined the game fours ago, I have slowly upgraded clubs in pieces... A wedge here, a putter there; some were won (thanks MGS), and some were bought, but all were mine. One thing that hasn't changed is my irons, and after looking around the Cobra website, it looks like the Amp Cell irons are exactly what my bag needs. I would welcome the opportunity and enjoy the testing.

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Sorry double post

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I don't know about the rest of the regulars here on MGS but I would have thought that someones FIRST post in a forum would be to introduce them self to the group before pouncing on a freeby.

Just a thought.

AJ

P.S. and actually take the photograph (yes a photograph!!!!!) to show off their photography skills.

First off, these are Game Improvement irons, something that either a beginner or someone who is trying to become better at golf will use. You think someone who is a recreational golfer trying to take the next step toward being a low handicap golfer is going to post on a site where people act this entitled? Give new dudes a break, sometimes not talking doesn't equate to not reading the site, visiting sponsors, or contributing to the overall well being of the site. These are the people who will actually buy these irons, and may have jobs that dont give them a chance to post all the time (which means disposable income, right? Again, a good thing for a club site). Second, why do you care? By being such a hipster about it and wanting to keep it all to yourself, you dont allow new people to feel at home and start contributing. Im pretty sure your approach is counter productive to the entire contest, and probably would turn away the guys who need these irons. We got enough bladers and import/export golf gear heads... Let the new fellas get some burn

Might as well throw my hat into the ring.

Handicap: 10ish

Why Cobra-Puma: Many people's golf games have dash, or at least moments of dash. Whether it's a 36 capper or a +2, everyone does. What everyone doesn't have, and I wish they did, is a little more flash to go with the dash. That's Cobra-Puma and that's what I love to emulate on the golf course. Snappy clothes is something name can pull off, but what about snappy clubs? Matching grips and ferrules to the shafts is really the mark of someone with some flash to their game.

Look good, play good, doesn't just apply to ones clothes. It applies to the clubs as well. That's my golfing style.

Cobra1_zpsdc19fe81.jpg

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

First off, these are Game Improvement irons, something that either a beginner or someone who is trying to become better at golf will use. You think someone who is a recreational golfer trying to take the next step toward being a low handicap golfer is going to post on a site where people act this entitled? Give new dudes a break, sometimes not talking doesn't equate to not reading the site, visiting sponsors, or contributing to the overall well being of the site. These are the people who will actually buy these irons, and may have jobs that dont give them a chance to post all the time (which means disposable income, right? Again, a good thing for a club site). Second, why do you care? By being such a hipster about it and wanting to keep it all to yourself, you dont allow new people to feel at home and start contributing. Im pretty sure your approach is counter productive to the entire contest, and probably would turn away the guys who need these irons. We got enough bladers and import/export golf gear heads... Let the new fellas get some burn

I don't think he was trying to act entitled whatsoever and believe me, I came from a site where I have contributed a LOT for FREE stuff and I'm the one spending MY money for the benefit of the forum

and what do I get from the members and admin there? Nothing but insult and disrespect. Majority of the people in this forum is very different than that.

On other note, you have to understand that if we don't know who you are and what you have done, there really isn't any credibility isn't there? It's human nature to want something for nothing

And we have to be a little careful who we are giving these opportunities to. Just like in business, if you just give away stuff, you go bankrupt.

I'm not saying that you are that kind of person who just wants a freebie, just to be clear.

Also, in MY view, I see this NOT as getting a freebie "BIG" IF I were selected, more so that I can better myself as a reviewer and contribute to the forum. Then I'll probably give the clubs away to my friend who is getting married this year who is a high handicapper, unless I fell in love with them =P

I made a couple points in this post, so try to see it from a different point of view. Either way, I trust the admin will select the best people to do the review on these babies.

1) Appropriately sized pics would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

2) "A picture of anything"- "A" is singular and doesn't mean a frickin library ;)

Just A couple of thoughts :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Ha ha...busted Rookie!!

That said the man does take nice pictures...

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It is all about respect my man and where I come from respect is something that you earn.

Why do I care? I care because this site has integrity and those of us who participate here regularly, take pride in that integrity whilst at the same time welcoming all and sundry who wish to also participate and share their thoughts and opinions.

I may have missed something in your comments, but the idea is not to necessarily have a high handicapper test these but more importantly have a detailed and accurate account of how they perform to their design.

Personally, I have not nominated because I hate GI clubs with a passion and my testing would be biased. See that's integrity and that is how you earn respect.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

What a coincidence! Seems not long ago I started a thread wondering if this type of iron has real advantages or is mostly about "more distance, more distance".

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/8262-distance-irons/page__p__92802__fromsearch__1#entry92802

I'm looking at the lofts of these AMP Cells that are one full club stronger than mine and a longer shaft as well. So, I'm very curious. Since the 4 iron matches the length and loft of my 3 iron, will it play the same? Will it be even longer? They have to be more forgiving than my current set. Will that translate to lower scores? Will extra length be good or will I have gapping issues at the low end of my bag? Questioning minds want to know!!! :D

I have been playing for almost 3 years. Last year I hardly got to play. But I'm off to a better start this year. I have been out more times this spring than all of last year. I'm shooting high 80's, low 90's currently. With improvements I've made with my driver, and putter especially, I will be shocked if I can't drop 5 to 10 shots off that this summer. Will Cobra AMP Cell irons play a part in that? I sure would like to find out!

If the spirit of Cobra/PUMA is a determination to get better, then I embody that very well. I have a determination to get better by practicing in more difficult conditions than I generally find at the course. It gives me confidence when standing over a shot that makes it seem easy compared to what I'm used to.

Last year, I wouldn't have thrown my hat in the ring to test. I wouldn't have had the time to do a review justice. This year, I believe I can spend the time with them to do a good job. My ball striking is far more consistent now as well. Irons have always been my strong point. I would love to have the chance to find the answers to my questions with these clubs. Will I be steering my future golfers to Cobra/PUMA after playing these? Let's find out! ;)

2013-03-15_18-21-46_262.jpg

I shoot on average 98 on an 18 hole course.

dan_plantation_17_conA.jpg

I am the body that hosts the Puma-Cobra spirit: I'm half south-east asian (like a cobra), half North American Cougar (aka Puma), half Manbearpig.... need I say more? :D

Just a quick story though, the very first time I hit a driver was on the Kapalua Plantation Course. The rental was a Cobra driver, I piped that thing just past Danno's ball! Upon our return home I bought that identical driver! We were meant to be :P

My current handicap is 13.

How do I embody the spirt of Cobra-Puma golf- first off I started as a soccer player and in my day if it wasn't Puma King it wasn't a cleat I could wear, but today Puma is the idea that one can be free to be themself. The loudness of Cobra/Puma makes the statement that I am here and I am who I am and I'm not worried what you think. It isn't for the group that likes to blend in and accept the status quo. As an educator, I try to teach that to my students everyday. Be a leader not a follower. Think for yourself. I think the idea that Cobra/Puma set out to prolifirate was one of individuality becasue golf is a game of uniqueness. Look at Rickies swing it is not text book and neither is his orange on sundays. Jespers flipped bill is not a typical thing. It is a style all his own. And Poults do I even need to say anything about that guy. I seem to fit well with this crew. I'm me and I don't worry about what others think of me. BTW I think it is time to upgrade from the S3s that are in the bag!IMG_5019.PNG

Driver- G410 plus 9°

Fairway- Ping G410 LST 14.5°

Hybrid- 818 H2 19°

Irons- 4-PW 718 AP3

Wedges- Vokey SM7 48°  54°  58°

Putter- Taylormade Spider X

My current handicap is 7.0 but I'm playing closer to a 12 right now.

I have always been a G.I. Joe and I would love the chance to tame Cobra. I have the spirit... Seriously, consistency with irons are my struggle right now and I would love to obtain the "pinpoint accuracy" these Cobra's claim to deliver. I have been a Cobra fan since the 440SZ driver. My first "big headed" driver that got me hooked on the game. I recently switched shifts at work and have the time to give a review with plenty of shots hit now. I also have a par 3 course less than a mile from my house that would be dynamite for iron testing. Holes range from 95-205 yards... Thx Cobra and MGS!!!

mgs1.JPG

I took this pic 3 years ago before playing Pinehurst #2. Love the fog in the background!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Hi all,

I'm a 32 year old 20 'capper. I'm a committed 'lifelong learner', which (in this instance) basically means that just playing golf isn't enough for me. Do I learn to get better - absolutely - but the learning journey itself is a massive part of the fun for me. In fact, gaining knowledge is one of the main reasons I joined MyGolfSpy in the first place (I sure as heck wasn't in a position to give much back... initially :( ).

Being willing to learn, and being able to appreciate constructive feedback (i.e. being serious about what I'm trying to achieve, but not taking myself too seriously), I've found, makes me more nimble as a learner. Those are also the things that resonate with me about Cobra-PUMA as a brand and as an equipment manufacturer.

PicMonkey Collage.jpg

Thanks again MGS and Cobra-PUMA for the opportunity.

Brad

Ha ha...busted Rookie!!

That said the man does take nice pictures...

I don't answer to Richard, as much as he tries to play forum police in EVERY thread. Colt owns the site, if he says take them down(or Tony or the actual moderation), I will. Otherwise, I'm leaving them up.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Add HULK to the list of testers.

5 Handicap who is capable of weaving together numerous sentences while in Dr. Banner mode. When in HULK mode I usually just break things. Let's see if these irons are HULK proof. I also work at a driving range and have an unlimited amount of balls that I can hit. I also dress better than Ricky Fowler.

The picture is Gary Player at the Masters telling HULK how much he loves HULK

image.jpg

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

Hulk hates technology. How can I put in a pic?

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

Hulk hates technology. How can I put in a pic?

You can either add it as an attachment to your post (making sure its selected to add to post after uploading), or you can upload it somewhere such as photobucket and after uploading save the image's URL and put it inside image tags (open the tag with put the URL and then close it by adding a backslash before the "i". (If I close the tag above you won't see it).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.