Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Marshals: Tiger lied about our role in flap

Moecat

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9272349/report-course-marshals-dispute-tiger-woods-story

After a weekend war of words between Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia, two course marshals are disputing Woods' retelling of what happened on Saturday.

Garcia said Woods distracted him by pulling a club from his bag -- stirring the gathered gallery while Garcia attempted a shot elsewhere.

Woods said he didn't see Garcia when he made the move, and besides, the course marshals gave him the OK.

The course marshals, well, they see things a bit differently.

The play in question occurred on the second hole of the third round at TPC Sawgrass. Garcia and Woods were playing partners for the round, and the two feuding golfers traded barbs throughout the weekend.

"It's very simple," Garcia said during an NBC interview Saturday. "You have to pay attention to what's going on because the other guy is hitting. You do something when you're in the crowd and the crowd is going to respond."

Woods' response to Garcia's complaint was simple: The marshals said I could.

"The marshals, they told me he already hit, so I pulled a club and was getting ready to play my shot," Woods explained. "And then I hear [Garcia's] comments afterward, and it's not real surprising that he's complaining about something."

"He didn't ask us nothing," marshal Gary Anderson said Sunday, according to a report by Sports Illustrated. "We didn't say nothing. We're told not to talk to the players."

Chief marshal John North was also present for Woods' controversial shot on the par-5 hole.

"Nothing was said to us and we certainly said nothing to him," North said, according to Sports Illustrated. "I was disappointed to hear him make those remarks. We're there to help the players and enhance the experience of the fans. He was saying what was good for him. It lacked character."

While no one won the battle of he said/he said, Woods did go on to win his fourth tournament of the year while Garcia imploded over the final holes of Sunday's final round and finished tied for eighth.

I think the two should just meet in the parking lot and settle their differences!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I think the two should just meet in the parking lot and settle their differences!

My money is on tiger for that one

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Let's see, Sergio didn't really lose a stroke with that shot. Dumping 2 in Davey Jones locker down the stretch on Sunday, though? Yeah, CHOKED. In the grand scheme of things, it didn't matter, cause when you drop 4 shots on one hole... Well, it's inevitable.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Seriously, I have had playing partners distract me nearly every round at some point or other nearly every round. I have done it to them more times that I would care to admit. It is tough, especially when there are 4 or 5 of you not to do something. When you do it, you apologize and move on, and when some one does it to you, you still move on.

Tiger may have done something to distract him, but Sergio was the one who allowed himself to be distracted.

I wonder what Tiger did to him Sunday when he was on the 17th tee.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Easy, Rick, he made his par putt and walked to the 18th tee as Sergio watched. LOL

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Sergio shouldn't have stayed up late watching "Tin Cup" before the final round! B)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

The issue is Tiger's probable lying, not Sergio's being a crybaby, not Sergio's being a choker (nothing new). There is a thread for that somewhere.

Good for officials coming out. If there was somebody else (non marshal) who told Tiger he was good to go he should come out otherwise Tiger looks like he was deflecting blame (although I don't think he was wholly to blame) and lying to do so.

Or does winning take care of that too?

Awesome...

Gotta love that there is still a little bit of gamesmanship on the tour these days... And I love that the marshals are holding their ground.

Hasn't tiger realized by now that if you lie you will be caught? That narcissist is in his own world!

Appears the Marshall who was actually there is contradicting North's story.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/5/15/4333522/tiger-woods-lied-marshals-players-championship-2013

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway FTi 9* Aldila NVS S flex

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Callaway X Hot 5-AW 2* flat

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

Yes! Callie w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0

Just happened to come in and catch Golf Channel so a split screen of this incident. Of course this is in light of new revelations by other marshals saying that they did say Sergio had hit. But clearly, Tiger did not hit before Sergio. All he did was walk over and get a club and then asked if Sergio had hit. He had, at that point, so Tiger moved on. Since Tiger could not see Sergio, his getting a club out of the bag should not be an issue.

Exactly. While I tend to avoid reading comments on TheGolfChannel or other stories, just the volume is staggering. It's really a non-issue.

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway FTi 9* Aldila NVS S flex

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Callaway X Hot 5-AW 2* flat

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

Yes! Callie w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0

The issue is Tiger's probable lying, not Sergio's being a crybaby, not Sergio's being a choker (nothing new). There is a thread for that somewhere.

Good for officials coming out. If there was somebody else (non marshal) who told Tiger he was good to go he should come out otherwise Tiger looks like he was deflecting blame (although I don't think he was wholly to blame) and lying to do so.

Or does winning take care of that too?

In the split screen video you can clearly see Tiger asking someone if Sergio has already hit. It is also after he has pulled his club, and after the noise that "distracted" Sergio. All Tiger did was select his club so that he could hit when it is his turn. How could he have known it would cause a reaction?

This is an insignificant event made into a big deal by Sergio. But the reason I singled your quote out is because of the last line, "Or does winning take care of that too?" This is something that has been taken out of context. He was talking about records and being the best golfer in history. Instead of focusing on each individual records, he said he needed to focus on winning golf tournaments, and "Winning takes care of everything else." If you win the tournament than you become the best putter or driver or what ever of the week. You do it enough you become the best golfer of era. Winning 80 times and 20 majors really does take care of all the other records.

It looked to me that after Tiger pulled his club and the fans started cheering (which is what the actual distraction was) , tiger put his finger up to his mouth as if to say SHHH, and then pointed in the direction of where Sergio was hitting.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

In the split screen video you can clearly see Tiger asking someone if Sergio has already hit. It is also after he has pulled his club, and after the noise that "distracted" Sergio. All Tiger did was select his club so that he could hit when it is his turn. How could he have known it would cause a reaction?

This is an insignificant event made into a big deal by Sergio. But the reason I singled your quote out is because of the last line, "Or does winning take care of that too?" This is something that has been taken out of context. He was talking about records and being the best golfer in history. Instead of focusing on each individual records, he said he needed to focus on winning golf tournaments, and "Winning takes care of everything else." If you win the tournament than you become the best putter or driver or what ever of the week. You do it enough you become the best golfer of era. Winning 80 times and 20 majors really does take care of all the other records.

All you Tiger lovers out there can do nothing but fawn over him and every move he makes, he pulled a stinking club from his bag, and you all cheered as if he hit the 3 inches from the cup, that is just stupid, cheering because he pulled a club, c'mon man,

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

All you Tiger lovers out there can do nothing but fawn over him and every move he makes, he pulled a stinking club from his bag, and you all cheered as if he hit the 3 inches from the cup, that is just stupid, cheering because he pulled a club, c'mon man,

Do you really think I would cheer when Tiger pulls a club? Do you think I am the one who caused this problem? I was actually 1000 miles away, however, Sergio may have been disturbed by my behavior. Apparently, you were.

My point was he did nothing wrong. You are now are confirming what I saw, yet, you are hostile to me. I was not as much a "Tiger Lover" as much as I am a "Tiger Hater" Hater. It is so odd to me that crap that should make no difference is blown to such huge proportions when he is involved.

Did anyone forget that Sergio drowned 2 Pentas on 17 resulting in a 4 shot swing. Okay, so the "distraction" cost him a stroke... Give him that one back... He drops 3 strokes on 17 still and one on 18 with a bogey. He still loses regardless.

In The Bag

Looks like as usual topic is going away from the issue.

I have no idea who Tiger is talking to while pulling the club. All I know is Tiger makes a claim, a couple marshals say otherwise. Now a few other marshals come out with a detailed account and a probable explanation how Tiger could have misunderstood.

The question was to what happened BEFORE Sergio hit. It now seems Tiger includes the go signal given after Sergio had hit as his explanation. With all that Tiger goes through he could have been confused. The marshal read the mistaken remark as a slight, so they answer back.

As for winning takes care of everything. Tiger is not just a golfer, he is a huge celebrity. His "everything" extends beyond the course. Tiger knows that, Tiger has cashed in on that. Questions on his last slump were not just swing or injury related. There was the entry into a sex clinic! If it were really just golf with Tiger it is easy enough for him to refuse any endorsement money from a company that is not a golf company. Hard but if he wants a golf only standard for everything, then limit your opportunities to the golf course as well. It would be absurd to expect that, but with the extra opportunity comes extra care with the image.

They should have put winning takes care of everything on the golf course

Archived