TESTERS WANTED! ×

What was "new" but is now old?

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

I was just zipping through eBay and I realized that one club that I used to view at the "it" driver for me is now a total yesterday club. It's still a great driver, but time has passed it by. What club you say? Here she is...

pingG10.jpg

The Ping G10 was the driver that I wanted so badly a few years back,right about the time of the MGS forum launch, I believe. I thought it was the best one in the shop. It just dawned on me that it is now older than the three other G versions. How did that happen? The golf equipment business moves at quite the pace, that's how. So long my now vintage G10...

Any of you run across a similar train of thought? What is your surprised-by-being-vintage club?

(No discussing any surprised-by-being-vintage spouses please :) )

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

For me it is everything I currently own, mp68, 2011 version. R11 and R11S, the bad part is that the setup cost me over 1000 bucks and if I trade them in they will give me less than 200 bucks, and thatis just the irons. I will never buy any golf equipment brand new ever again. Brand new golf clus are as big a rip off as a brand new vehicle.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

For me it is everything I currently own, mp68, 2011 version. R11 and R11S, the bad part is that the setup cost me over 1000 bucks and if I trade them in they will give me less than 200 bucks, and thatis just the irons. I will never buy any golf equipment brand new ever again. Brand new golf clus are as big a rip off as a brand new vehicle.

Lefty, I have to disagree with you on this point. A new vehicle you get the full manufactures warranty. You get the satisfaction of driving a new vehicle that lasts for several 1000's of miles and several months, and you get that new car smell. New golf clubs on the other hand, ahhh... none of those. You get the same satisfaction you get when you get a door ding in your new car. Unlike the new car where you enjoy seeing what the new car can do, when you see what the new clubs can do you are disappointed more often than pleasantly surprised so, buying brand new clubs is a much worse deal than buying a new car.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Bought a Cleveland Hibore in 2007 when I decided to pick up the game again. That was 4 drivers ago...

Long gone and hard to find....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I bought both of these clubs used, but I think my Tom Wishon 949MC 4w came out in 2008 and my Precept EC Fuel 7w was introduced in 2004 and those are the woods in my "playing bag."

I do, of course have other, newer fairway woods, but they're not in the bag :P

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

On a separate note, remember the good old days when a top notch driver only cost $300 off the shelf?

Heck, I can remember buying a nice set of MacGregor Tourney persimmon woods (1,3 & 5) new-in-the-box at a golf store (long before the big boxes were around) for $110!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

For me, it's also probably everything I own though to differing degrees. I still have some wood Hogan's and other brands somewhere around the house. Funny thing about those old wood clubs was that you took them to someone with carpentry skills to preserve their looks. These metal woods, for me, go to a car painter for a new coat of paint and clear coat on whatever color I choose.

Automatic obsolescence has long been with us but lately, with all the heavy advertising and flood of new models, it's gone into high gear.

Shambles

image.jpg

Oh god how I wanted the Wilson killer whale driver with the firestick

Ha, oversize 275cc!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Lefty, I have to disagree with you on this point. A new vehicle you get the full manufactures warranty. You get the satisfaction of driving a new vehicle that lasts for several 1000's of miles and several months, and you get that new car smell. New golf clubs on the other hand, ahhh... none of those. You get the same satisfaction you get when you get a door ding in your new car. Unlike the new car where you enjoy seeing what the new car can do, when you see what the new clubs can do you are disappointed more often than pleasantly surprised so, buying brand new clubs is a much worse deal than buying a new car.

Rover, the point with the car and clubs basically was that as soon as you leave the store/car lot, the value decreases in such a way , that it is not worth the purchase. Both for a new car and new clubs, not saying that both cannot last you a while, but the trade in values for both drop considerably, and make the original purchase unworthy of the money spent, that's why I said I will never buy brand new ever again, I will always find last years model, and purchase it for considerable less money.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Rover, the point with the car and clubs basically was that as soon as you leave the store/car lot, the value decreases in such a way , that it is not worth the purchase. Both for a new car and new clubs, not saying that both cannot last you a while, but the trade in values for both drop considerably, and make the original purchase unworthy of the money spent, that's why I said I will never buy brand new ever again, I will always find last years model, and purchase it for considerable less money.

Good point, though I would suggest you never say never. Fact is, anything you buy loses somewhere in the area of as much as 50% resale value just by paying for it and walking out the door of the store with it. However that is the world we live in and we do get a great deal of pleasure just for owning the latest model and basking in the pleasure of curious subtle attention from our peers as we try it out. We most certainly give extra attention to our warm ups so as to ensure a good shot on the first full swing. It's an expensive pleasure that only lasts until the next model comes out, but for some, it's worth it. I was probably one of those at some time in my life. These days I buy old clubs especially if they are cheap, were once very expensive and were clubs I had a thing for but could not give the try to.

In reverse, some of us derive pleasure from bringing back the old legends, especially if they are now rarely seen in action. I enjoyed some of that when I brought out my old steelheads in one tournament and received some compliments from peers on being able to drive as far as their drives, only to explain that I was also using a driver with the same loft. They were really that much smaller in those long ago days. I also bag an old Bullseye but I really like the way it works for me and do not see myself changing it anytime in the future. The other old clubs are brought out as mood dictates.

Shambles

The oldest clubs I have are 4 years old... since that's when I started playing... two of the only "original" clubs I have are my Cleveland CG10 wedges... I have no complaints, and I can still hit them well, so why change things up?

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

My 1st "big headed" driver. This puppy got me hooked on this expensive, frustrating, can't live without it game...

1001080.jpg

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

• 4 years later...

Thought this would be a fun thread to revive. It's a good topic that always applies.

My "it" club was the '09 Burner. It was so hot and hit the ball with a POW. Now technology with adjustability has passed it by. I agonized over the choice between 9.5 and 10.5 loft but wouldn't have to make that decision today.

4699376.jpg

#throwbackthursday

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Man, the club that that made me think about tech, even though now they are 15 YEARS OLD(!), were McGregor's Eye-O-Matic line of metal woods. With the two toned look and the V Foil technology, I thought those things were awesome. I planned on having a whole bag of McGregors when I got older and always made them my chief sponsor playing the early Tiger Woods games. 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Archived