TESTERS WANTED! ×

REVIEW - Kahma C2 Cart Bag

Trebuchet

“Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's a perfect cart bag out there for my gear.”

Kahma C2 Golf Bag

Kahma is a small Australian company whose original offering was called The Caddyrack, an organizational riser that was designed to be retro-fit onto existing bags. Having improved upon their original design, they have created a series of their own bags, designed around their Caddyrack concept. The results are remarkable… if you are willing to sacrifice some storage capacity, and your club set makeup is fairly standard.

Design

From the neck down, the Kahma bag is like any other cart bag, several pockets on the front for balls, tees and valuables, with side compartments for holding outerwear, the rain hood, etc. The pockets are adequate, but the hard inner shell of the bag limits their capacity. Storage-wise, this bag is closer to a lite carry bag, and less of a rolling walk-in-closet like the Sun Mountain C-130. The cooler pocket suffers the most from this as the pocket spaces overlap and the cooler is stuck at the back of the pile. (The John Barry Aggregate is a disappointing 4)

The top is where this bag makes up for any of its storage shortcomings. The compartments are divided into 2 main sections, the Caddyrack row for your irons and the wood row for driver, woods, and hybrids.

The Wood row sits behind the Caddyrack and is divided into 4 full length club sections. This row is roomy enough to comfortably fit 4 long clubs with head covers.

The Caddyrack section is the star of the show, the irons sit in a beautiful, cascading row, protecting and organizing your irons in a way that will satiate even the most ingrained OCD tendencies.

Each iron is held in its place by the 3-point grip of the Caddyrack, with the sole facing up and the shafts hanging straight down parallel to each other. It's important to note that the Caddyrack “fingers” are what secure the clubs in place, the grips make no contact with the bottom of the bag. (My clubs are +0.5” and I'd estimate that there's still 2” of clearance between the grips and the bottom of the bag). Kahma even provides a nice padded “shower cap” to cover your irons for transport. This serves the dual functions of protecting the iron heads, and helping to keep them in place while in transport.

I was initially concerned that the irons might dislodge when the bag is carried over the shoulder with the padded shoulder strap. But the finger design is ingenuous in that the irons do not move laterally at all, but come out easily when pulled vertically. Effective enough when transporting it around the parking lot, but I would not expect them stay in place if you chose to carry the bag on the course. This bag was designed to be used on a cart, so if you plan on carrying at all, you should probably look into other options.

The C2 comes with two external putter tubes framing the left and right sides of the bag. The tubes themselves appear to be of sturdy design, but Kahma made an interesting design choice in the method of attachment. The tubes are “hard” attached at the base, but free float the rest of the way up. They are held by an elastic fabric material near the top, which I assume was intended to create durability by allowing the tube to “give” a little when inserting or removing the putter. I've had external putter tubes become detached from the bag over time, and this design may help… but time will tell.

Another interesting design element is the inclusion of “anti-roll” straps along the neckline of the bag. They consist of a pair of nylon straps with plastic “ear-type” clips attached to each side of the bag. You loop each strap around the central tube of your cart, or the basket edge of the riding cart, and it keeps the C2 from twisting. I love it! The systems works incredibly well and I am amazed that no one else has incorporated this design into their bags. The closest I've seen is the Ogio “Torq” strap. While it works wonders when used on a riding cart, the Torq design does not help at all on most pull carts, the Kahma anti-roll system appears flexible enough to use on just about anything.

What's not to love?

It's not all unicorns and rainbows; there are a few caveats that come along with the Kahma.

There is a gap between the Caddyrack and the wood row that only seems to exist as a spacer between the irons and the woods. The gap is too narrow to put anything down, but big enough to make you want to try. Why not make it an inch wider and allow for a couple more long clubs or ball retriever (for those so inclined). Or narrow it by an inch and reclaim the space for use in the front pockets. If anyone knows the intended purpose please chime in, because I don't see it.

As great as this design is, it would only be useful to you if you have a fairly standard set makeup. There are nine iron slots in the caddyrack, four wood slots and two external putter tubes. If you use a set that is heavy on hybrids (Adams os12 or Nike slingshots for example) you won't be using the bag to its full potential. I carry 5-9, PW, GW, 54* and 58* wedges and everything fits nicely. You may need to make accommodations if you carry up to a 3 iron and 3+ wedges, but the second putter tube could help. In short, do the math before you pull the trigger on a Kahma.

Lefty? You need to be sure to order the left-handed version of the bag. There are distinct left and right handed models, and because availability is so limited in the US, there may or may not be any lefties available when you order. (I spoke with the sole US distributor for confirmation of availability).

And speaking of the limited availability… Kahma is a small, Australian based company. It appears that if you want one in the US, there's only one distributor. (kahmagolfusa.com) I could not find any other outlet for purchasing this bag besides kahmagolfusa.com. At $279, it's not a cheap bag to begin with, and depending on where you live, shipping is exorbitant! It was an extra $60 to ship it to the east coast from southern California. So there's that…

On the course

The C2 fits perfectly on my Clicgear 2.0 push cart. I mean perfectly. The clicgear straps line up exactly with the clear areas of the bag, so there is no interference with any of the pockets. And the combination of the clicgear's bungee straps and the C2's anti-roll straps make this the single most secure and stable combination I've ever used. All this comes with the added bonus of being absolutely silent on the course. Disconcertingly quiet…. I could only hear the tees rattling in the front pocket.

I have yet to play a round with the C2 on a riding cart, but I did take the opportunity to mount it on one to check the fit. It appears to take up no more space than my old C-130, so if you have a pair of full sized bags on the back, I wouldn't plan on accessing the side pockets of either regularly. Otherwise, it sets up nicely in the bag well and straps of the club carts my home course uses.

The quest for the perfect cart bag has been a long one, but I believe I've found my Excalibur. The Kahma C2 does everything it was designed to do, and it does it exceptionally well. This bag isn't for everyone, but if, like me, you have a deeply entrenched need for organization that borders on pharmaceutically actionable… this just may be the perfect the bag for you.

Kahmagolf.com (Australian site)

Kahmagolfusa.com (USA site)

Kahma-side.jpg

Kahma-top-1.jpg

Kahma-roll.jpg

Kahma-showercap.jpg

Kahma-front-1.jpg

Driver: Bridgestone J40 - 445

Woods: TEE - 4

Hybrids - Adams Super 19*/22*

Irons: Adams CB2

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11 54*/58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Sonoma

Great review Trebuchet! It seems like there are a few different designs coming out re the placement of irons in bags. I guess there will always be a bit of a trade off around the flexibility of use when the designs get more specific like this. I do think that they have probably cut a decent chunk of market out though by not including at least one more iron slot. Still, there is clearly a niche that this is fulfilling, and it looks like a great product!

Thanks for sharing

Brad

My OCD glands are salivating right now...

My wallet is sweating with the thought of the cost of shipping from Oz on the other hand (or pocket)

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I tell you Tuna, I only played three rounds with it so far... but I felt soooooo warm and fuzzy every time I looked down and knew that each and every club was in its place. :wub:

Nice review, thank you! I could make this work by dropping one of my wedges to the extra putter tube, which is what I did the last time I had a bag with 2 putter tubes.

You rig looks great! I hate my Sun Mountain C-130 only because it fits so poorly on my Clic-Gear, but I think I'm going to make it last another season. Maybe by then Kahma will have a better distribution plan in place!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Pretty sure this isn't the same bag you reviewed -- probably their earlier version, but what a freakin' deal!!!

http://www.golfdealsandsteals.com/

$79.99

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

nice find. I can't be certain, but it looks like this is one of the original caddyrack bags. The company changed hands a few years ago, and there were some legacy products that the original company had launched. I understand that the issue with the legacy design is that the shafts contact the bag near the neck and it can cause wear on graphite shafts. (The Kahma that I reviewed doesn't have that issue). But if you've got steel shafts, then for $79 it may be worth a shot.

Great... And I just bought a new bag too... You got any pics of it off the Clic Gear? Wondering how well it'd work for electric cart users (as that's me most of the time, especially my hilly home course). Also, is there an extra well between your irons and woods or is that the same compartment the irons go in?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Sorry for the delay, I fell off the planet for the weekend... :lol:

The space behind the irons is some kind of airgap between them and the woods, not sure what it's for, but you really can't fit anything down there.

I'll see if I can get a pic of it on a riding cart, but looks like rain all week here. I did test mount it on a cart and it fits fine, seems to be completely functional.

Archived