Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Persevere on my own & go for a golf lesson?

mrdoogso

Hi everyone,

I'm after a little advice.

Compared to a lot of you forum members i am very new to the game of golf. i have only been chasing a golf ball around the golf course for little over 2 years now.

I have been 'friend' taught .. and have finally started making headway on my handicap this year! *very excited* ... my question: i am considering taking the plunge and investing in some golf lessons with a PGA tour professional at my local golf club. Is this a good idea? Will it destroy everything i've achieved with my heave-and-hack swing i've started to perfect? Or will it actually be beneficial to me?

It's just that i've had some people say to me stick with what you're doing.. and others say you will not regret investing the money in some lessons.

I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for your time!

Certainly go for lessons, consider it an investment presently and for the future. Better to ingrain the right moves now than back up later. Or another angle, the Tour players are constantly working on things, why shouldn't we?

I took lessons over the winter and combined with a golf specific fitness plan I have really progressed. I only played nine so far this year and shot 40 which is good for me as I have a lot of commitments that hold me back. Lessons, practice and patience to work on the new swing the results will come as well as your own personal happiness.

I'm pretty much in the same postion as you. I just started golfing last season and saw some progress from when I started to the beginning of this season. I could play ok with my "self" taught swing but I set pretty big goals for myself because of how much enjoyment I've gotten out of the game so I knew if I were to reach these goals I'd need some real help.

So long story short I've began rebuilding my swing with the help of a PGA pro. And while it's only been a few lessons I have seen a difference. So I guess what I'm saying is of you're commuted to having a possible swing change then go for it.

The one thing I think we have going for us is lack of experience so it'll be easier to change because nothing has been grooved in too deeply yet

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I've been playing for over 20 years and finally have up on self correcting swing flaws this year. I won a free swing eval at the golf show earlier this year. After that half hour I signed right up for a 4 lesson package. Having a pro look at your swing and help you with making the correct changes is worth every penny. Example, just the posture and timing changes I've worked on with my pro have already helped me get a more efficient stroke same distance less effort and that in turn is taking a ton of pressure off my lower back. And hitting the ball straighter thru better contact yada yada yada I could go on and on. A half hour lesson usually runs about $50 it's worth the investment. Just find some one you can enjoy working with.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Based on my experience the one thing that will probably happen when you start taking lessons is that it will feel like 2 steps back initially before you even get back to where you thought you were before taking lessons.

Not to scare you (cause apparently that is what I do) off taking lessons but more to prepare you for the after effects of lessons. I personally have experienced this and have had to experience a few different golf instructors to find one that I trust to coach me in the right direction.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I'll echo the others in saying you should definitely invest in lessons, and be prepared for the fallout afterwards.

Also consider taking a few short (cheap) lessons with a few different instructors. Everyone learns differently, and some teachers are better for your personality, temperament and learning style than others.

Driver: Bridgestone J40 - 445

Woods: TEE - 4

Hybrids - Adams Super 19*/22*

Irons: Adams CB2

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11 54*/58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Sonoma

A few thoughts on lessons:

Selecting an instructor is kind of like selecting a significant other. I'm not saying you're gonna be making love with them. What I'm trying to say is that you've gotta find one your mesh well with and can have 2 way communication with. While the pro at your club could be a good fit, it could also make you loathe going there. They might teach differently than you learn or their communication methods might not be as easily understandable to you as they are to other pupils of theirs. Not saying anything about you if you don't mesh with them, they just might verbalized what they're wanting you to do in a way where it doesn't make sense to you. Before selecting an instructor, have a chat with them (and I'd talk to several first). Get a feel for their coaching/teaching philosophies. Find out if they're a method teacher or if they're more free in not teaching a set method rather that they take what you have and tweak it and make it better/more reliable. Figure out which of those two paths you want to go on and then select a coach by seeing which meshes with your goals and how you can communicate with them.

Another thing to consider is if you have the time to dedicate to it. If you're going to go take lessons, you need to be all-in from the start. You're going to be learning things and changing things in your swing (most likely) and if you don't have the time to invest with your money it's not really going to serve the purpose for what you want it to. The first handful of sessions are going to likely be information overload at first. You're gonna have to have the time to take what they're wanting you to do and work on it for the lessons to have an impact.

Go in with an open mind. Remember that the instructor is trying to help you improve. There are going to be growing pains. You've gotta remember that you're gonna experience growing pains. You're going to struggle at times to start with. The big picture is the focus though, not the here and now. Eventually you're going to get to a point where you've built a swing that will hold up over the test of time and be reliable. That's the goal. At that time is when you're gonna taper off on lessons and practice on your own and get to the point where you can diagnose yourself a lot of the time and return to the instructor less and less frequently for a tune-up rather than an overhaul. It's always good to get checked up on periodically, but it won't be a frequent thing like it will in the beginning.

I, personally, have never taken lessons. I've spoke with instructors, and have picked one. But for me, with my work schedule and things I have going on with the kiddos and such, I'm honest with myself and realize I just don't have the time to spend with lessons and the work I'd have to do to make them work. Maybe one day I will have the time.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I, personally, have never taken lessons. I've spoke with instructors, and have picked one.

So you've picked an instructor but don't take lessons??? What do you guys do then???

Go for the lessons! Unless your friends teach golf for a living I wouldn't listen to them anymore. You obviously want to get better, so why not give it a shot?

Based on my experience the one thing that will probably happen when you start taking lessons is that it will feel like 2 steps back initially before you even get back to where you thought you were before taking lessons.

Not to scare you (cause apparently that is what I do) off taking lessons but more to prepare you for the after effects of lessons. I personally have experienced this and have had to experience a few different golf instructors to find one that I trust to coach me in the right direction.

AJ

That is exactly how i felt after my first lesson. I was trying to work on what we went over and while it was working it felt like so much harder than what i was used to. Then i went out to play and after the first hole i was so frustrated i almost walked off the course. I didnt and kept playing but by the third hole i was like im gonna punch this guy in the face next week, as the round went on it got a little easier and better to where i was happy I took the step towards a better swing and overall game but man it can be frustrating as hell sometimes

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

AJ

I agree, I felt the same way. I can also say there was nothing better for me than my CPGA Pro. Take the lesson!

Rookie hit ion something important that I missed. The amount of time you're gonna need to put in to really make the teachings stick is gonna feel a little overwhelming at first. I take an hour a week for a lesson. Then I'm at the range 2-3 more nights a week and then play a round or more range time on Sunday. But sticking with a routine and getting the reps is the only way to make it stick. And it has to be quality range time. Not just beating out a bucket of balls for the hell of it like I used to do. God I miss those days. But I'm seeing improvement and that's what's most important to me.

If you go for the lessons I have a suggestion that I did and I found it to be helpful. I had pictures taken on my BB of all of my correct positions, set up you name it. Very easy to pull out the BB and double check things. Also, I'll echo what others said about finding the right fit for you! Being of the same mindset between coach and pupil is important and it makes things enjoyable for all.

I am floored by all the detailed replies!! I honestly had 3 or 4 follow up questions i was going to ask .. but you have answered them all already! Much appreciated - Thank you! I would mention the names of those of you who made particularly valid points that i connected with - but then i'd pretty much be listing everyone that replied ;)

I will speak to the Wife to get my credit card back before she spends it all.. and get stuck right in!

Checklist

Don't be scared to shop around for an instructor - check!

Invest the time & money - check!

Go in with an open mind - check!

Tune brain into sponge mode - check!

Committ - check! x5 (thanks for the heads up Mr_Theoo)

Pray for a spot on the Cobra AMP Iron Review team - pending!

As the other spies have already said, lessons are definitely worth it. Provided you make the effort to ingrain it.

And it doesn't mean you have to spend x amount of hours at the range to ingrain a certain feel or grip or position. You can quite easily ingrain these things by gripping a club at home, or checking your posture in a mirror, etc. You don't need 2 hours a day, a couple of minutes each night can help plenty.

I have learned a great deal about the golf swing, and more particularly mygolf swing by taking lessons. As some spies have warned though, the first lesson or two can lead to some frustrating times.

You have to be patient, it takes time to rewire that muscle memory. Your advantage is that you have only been playing for a couple of years, but you'll be surprised how hard it is at first to do things differently.

Two things that are critical to remember when you go for lessons:

1. Take notes of everything. When you are at the range by yourself, these botes are invaluable.

2. Ask why. When your coach tells you do a certain thing, make sure you understand why that is the right way. Understanding why certain things happen and why they happen, will stand you in good stead going forward.

Be patient with the lessons, your first lesson or two should be about the borig stuff (grip, posture, alignment, etc), but these things aren't called the fundamentals for nothing. If you have solid fundamentals, you are more than halfway there.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

So you've picked an instructor but don't take lessons??? What do you guys do then???

Go for the lessons! Unless your friends teach golf for a living I wouldn't listen to them anymore. You obviously want to get better, so why not give it a shot?

I've picked who I'm going to go to for lessons (assuming they don't retire before them). I know I currently don't have the time to dedicate to it. And I talk to her when I see her at the place she now works. She was the pro at my home course before it shut down 2 years ago. New management restructured how they wanted her to work so she stayed at the instructor job she got while they were shut down. We talk about a little of everything when we talk, lol. She's really into golf and so is her husband (he was club champ last year and the last year they were open before the foreclosure too). So we talk golf, equipment, and her passion is golf shoes. Lol. Any time she gets a new pair or I do, she wants to talk about them.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

As the other spies have already said, lessons are definitely worth it. Provided you make the effort to ingrain it.

And it doesn't mean you have to spend x amount of hours at the range to ingrain a certain feel or grip or position. You can quite easily ingrain these things by gripping a club at home, or checking your posture in a mirror, etc. You don't need 2 hours a day, a couple of minutes each night can help plenty.

I have learned a great deal about the golf swing, and more particularly mygolf swing by taking lessons. As some spies have warned though, the first lesson or two can lead to some frustrating times.

You have to be patient, it takes time to rewire that muscle memory. Your advantage is that you have only been playing for a couple of years, but you'll be surprised how hard it is at first to do things differently.

Two things that are critical to remember when you go for lessons:

1. Take notes of everything. When you are at the range by yourself, these botes are invaluable.

2. Ask why. When your coach tells you do a certain thing, make sure you understand why that is the right way. Understanding why certain things happen and why they happen, will stand you in good stead going forward.

Be patient with the lessons, your first lesson or two should be about the borig stuff (grip, posture, alignment, etc), but these things aren't called the fundamentals for nothing. If you have solid fundamentals, you are more than halfway there.

i'm starting to realise more and more that i should have done all this over the winter months. Thank you for the tidbit about taking notes.. another spy mentioned getting pictures taken with your phone as a quick reference tool as well.

Life is good! :)

Also, if you choose an instructor that takes video during lessons (some out there do this now), I'd ask them if they'd allow you to either have a disc or bring a disc or thumb drive or whatever they'd be able to use (even email) of your lesson with your positions on it so you'll have a reference to go back to when working on your own.

In The Bag

Most mobile phones have video capabilities utilize that as well. One thing that really helped me besides the lessons over the winter was having a golf specific fitness program designed for me that I could work on and I've found incredible results in my golf game and a huge part of it was because of this.

If you're interested this is the person that made mine for me. Can not recommend him enough. http://www.seancochran.com/

Make sure you have clear goals for what you want to accomplish - don't take lessons and just say make me better because some idiots out there will just rehaul your swing and not make you a better golfer but they'll teach you how to hit range balls.

If you want to break 90, or become more accurate off the tee, better short game, etc. those are nice goals to have. You should create goals with your instructor and go from there.

Get lessons with a instructor you like/trust to make you better. Then go back periodically for a check up. It seems like every time I start hitting the ball badly it is something with my fundamentals that I have neglected. My instructor picks up on it quickly and gets me on the right track. I have been to several different pro's over the last 10 years but finally found the right one to make me better about 3 years ago and will stick with him.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I'm glad to see you're not making the mistake I made when I started, by wasting time on "friendly advice" and wearing yourself out on the range trying to "figure it out."

The only thing I can add to the already excellent advice that's already been provided is this, if at all possible, find an instructor that works with a fitness trainer. After I made the decision to finally take lessons, my initial mistake was selecting some instructors that taught "their swing." They're not ME and, particularly as an older guy, MY body doesn't work like theirs and their swing doesn't work for ME.

When I found the right instructor for ME, the first thing we did was have an physical fitness assessment, then he developed a "swing plan" based on my personal abilities. We worked over the the winter with a K-Vest, to ingrain muscle memory and my first season I dropped from a 36+ to a 25! That may not sound like much, but I finally felt like I could at least go out to play with people I didn't really know, instead of just a few friends who would tolerate my playing ability (or lack of it).

Finding an instructor that focused on maximizing my personal ability, and recognizing what I really can and can't do, made all the difference for me.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention. Of you must read them, IGNORE every tip that is shown in golf magazine, golf digest et al. It usually leads to nothing but trouble when working with an instructor.

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention. Of you must read them, IGNORE every tip that is shown in golf magazine, golf digest et al. It usually leads to nothing but trouble when working with an instructor.

Great advice here! One if the first things my instructor told me.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Archived