TESTERS WANTED! ×

R1 price drop by $50

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RocketBladez irons are also $100 off on 8pc sets... This is a promo that all retailers are allowed to follow..

5/17 -6/30..

Could be time to buy.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

TMAG sales have got to be down this year... I feel like they're the only ones dropping prices? Are callaway, ping, Nike, etc finally starting to chip away at that pedestal?

First Quarter Sales were up.

First Quarter Sales were up.

True. But that also included Adams sales that weren't in there last year.

We'll see in Q2 when the restocking orders show up how it's really going. I still suspect they'll be up but maybe not as much.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Up from last year? I thought RBZ was the bet year ever since the great big Bertha?

Last release from Tmag says sales are up 19% overall from Q1 this year to Q1 last year.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

TM sent out their customary earnings-related press release at the beginning of the month...

Year over year sales are up 13% overall and up 21% from Q1 of last year in the US market. The metalwoods category is actually up 8%...hard to say exactly how that happened, unless the numbers included Adams (I'm going to ask about that), because the long winter was rough on everybody.

What's missing from the release is metalwoods (drivers, fairways, and hybrids) marketshare. This is TMaG's traditionally dominant category, and I know they're down this year (not exactly sure how much). It sounds worse than it is. Last year they owned a 50-something percent (I wanna say 54%, but I'm not sure of the 2nd digit) marketshare. That's absolutely astounding when you think about it in context... Last season, more than 1 out of every 2 metalwoods sold was a TaylorMade. Nobody inside or outside of the company could possibly believe those numbers were sustainable.

Other Notes:

• R1 holds #1 position in US Driver sales.
  • RocketBladez is #1 selling iron (TMaG Sales up 35% in iron category)
  • RBZ and RBZ Stage 2 fairway woods and rescues are #1 and #2 respectively (noteworthy is that original RBZ out sells Stage 2. I believe this has to do with the lower price point and TaylorMade's failure to differentiate the products).
  • adizero is best selling shoe in company history (probably the largest contributing factor to footwear sales being up 23%
  • Ball sales are up 21%

I don't have the concrete evidence (nobody likes to give absolute numbers), but what we're hearing is that Stage 2 is essentially under-performing, and is facing stiff competition. Again...no hard numbers, I've spoken to multiple sources in several different proshops (including green grass and big box), and they're telling me it's XHot then AMP Cell, then maybe Stage 2.

You could certainly view that as a chink in the proverbial armor, or you can focus on the fact that TaylorMade is either expanding leads (irons), or gaining ground (balls, footwear) in others.

The golf ball is what I find the most intriguing. Titlest has a stranglehold on the market largely because they were first with the rubber core, and it remains the most played ball on Tour. As equipment deals expand, and grow to include the golf ball as a matter of routine, Titleist numbers will drop. I'm still not convinced anyone will overtake them in the next decade, but I do see gaps narrowing.

Anyway...short story made very long...price drops, IMO are about sustaining, and potentially growing momentum into the fall, and less about trying to create it.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I am not sure who I should talk to about this, but I want the R1.

I don't want to do it, but I can't control myself any longer.

I dove in and bought one a couple of weeks ago Zinger -- it's been a game changer!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Last year they owned a 50-something percent (I wanna say 54%, but I'm not sure of the 2nd digit) marketshare. That's absolutely astounding when you think about it in context... Last season, more than 1 out of every 2 metalwoods sold was a TaylorMade.

Another way of looking at it is that Taylormade sold more metalwoods last year than every other manufacturer put together.

That's incredible. And you're right - unsustainable...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

And ANOTHER $50 price drop, for a total of $100 on R1 Drivers and RBZ Stage 2 Drivers.... I guess NOW is the time to consider buying a new driver...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

TM wasn't aware of the Dick's/GG ads before they ran. TM is not happy about it. I've been in this business, successfully, for a very long time. I've never seen an OEM this unhappy with a national account. Heads will roll.

I really hope that you are right.. In the current market, it seems like the Dicks/GG's of the world are wagging the dog..

Yea right! The same thing happened last year with the whole "go buy your clubs at dicks and golf galaxy commercial" where tmag pawned it off on Dicks / GG again. Then they emailed all of the green grass guys AMEX gift cards bc they screwed up.

I got an email yesterday afternoon about this whole debacle. There's no way a company such as dick's and gg would spend a million dollars plus on ads where they are going to lose money! GG Employees had meetings about the weekend price drops on thursday of last week.

What a joke... I don't know why TMAG continues to think that all accounts other than dicks/gg are idiots!

We're running them at $299 R1 and $199 stage 2 with 50% trade in bonus at Sports Authority right now. I was kinda shocked to see them actually run these offers and thought it was a typo at first.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Yea right! The same thing happened last year with the whole "go buy your clubs at dicks and golf galaxy commercial" where tmag pawned it off on Dicks / GG again. Then they emailed all of the green grass guys AMEX gift cards bc they screwed up.

I got an email yesterday afternoon about this whole debacle. There's no way a company such as dick's and gg would spend a million dollars plus on ads where they are going to lose money! GG Employees had meetings about the weekend price drops on thursday of last week.

What a joke... I don't know why TMAG continues to think that all accounts other than dicks/gg are idiots!

They weren't losing money at 299. After the net down/credit to the 350 price, and the price they already were at, they were doing fine. Supply chain is full, and they have pre-books coming in still. They needed to dump. If accounts think Dick's/GG was losing money at 299, they are idiots.

If accounts think Dick's/GG was losing money at 299, they are idiots.

Well if you're getting back door credits and cheaper wholesale prices than anyone else of course you aren't going to be losing money! That company is so tight with TMAG it's a joke! I'm sure their cost is much less than my wholesale price which would be a loss at $299! I wonder what it costs Dicks/GG for air time over the weekend?

Could you imagine how pissed off Golfsmith, PGA SS, the thousands of green grass accounts, etc. are at TMAG??? Could you imagine you had a demo day Saturday and Sunday of last week and you're selling people clubs and then Dicks/GG have them cheaper? And you don't find out about this until Tuesday afternoon? What a joke.

Well if you're getting back door credits and cheaper wholesale prices than anyone else of course you aren't going to be losing money! That company is so tight with TMAG it's a joke! I'm sure their cost is much less than my wholesale price which would be a loss at $299! I wonder what it costs Dicks/GG for air time over the weekend?

Could you imagine how pissed off Golfsmith, PGA SS, the thousands of green grass accounts, etc. are at TMAG??? Could you imagine you had a demo day Saturday and Sunday of last week and you're selling people clubs and then Dicks/GG have them cheaper? And you don't find out about this until Tuesday afternoon? What a joke.

Every company has better pricing at higher volume. All of them. TMaG isn't even the worst. Want to really be mad? Find out what Dicks/GG pay for apparel. You'll be STEAMING. But really, it's no different than what Callaway does for big accounts. If you can move the product, you get it cheaper.

Agree on all accounts... however, when MAP Pricing does not apply to you then what is the point of having one?

For the first time ever, Dick's and GG were hit where it hurts. This was a fiasco for them. TMaG is not happy. And that makes me happy!

Very interesting read. Neighbor of mine is the GM at GG here in S.A. I asked him last night about the 100.00 price drop while watering my lawn. He told me that it is a Fathers Day Promotion that ends on Fathers Day. I then asked him "Is it working" his response..... "Is it HOT in South Texas in the summertime".....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Archived