TESTERS WANTED! ×

Distance irons - hoe's your game been inside 150yds?

EricL

It's tough to predict just from the range how irons are going to pay on course. I loved the Callaway X-Hot and RocketBladz 7-iron on the range, but how is your game on course? I really like the idea of having a solid 200+yd iron in the bag, but I'm wondering how has it been dealing with. 117yd approach or short par 3, or dealing with 137yds halfway between clubs. I liked the feel and ball flight of the X-Hot a bit better, but thinking maybe the slightly smaller head size of the RocketBladz would play better on course. Resting a sore elbow his weekend, so lots of time to ponder these important questions...

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway FTi 9* Aldila NVS S flex

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Callaway X Hot 5-AW 2* flat

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

Yes! Callie w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0

I try to manage the course by doing my best to have either a maximum of 185yds into the green or 220-240yds into the green on a par 5 after I make my tee shot.

This is because I tried to avoid 4-3 irons fr those 210 yardage shots. I'm still trying to be consistent with the long irons, but that'll take a while.

but anything from 220yds and above, I can use a hybrid or 3W, which I can strike pretty well off the fairway.

If my swing is off on that day, I just grab a mid iron and hit 2 times =P

for those in between, my PW on average is around 125yds, so I do a 3/4 swing to get in between, or I crank up a Gap wedge. But I like the idea of PW better, same with the 137yds,

which is a 3/4 swing with my 9i .

I tried the driver and 3w of the callaway and I thought they are pretty hot and good looking on address, specially the 3W. I can nail that club really well.

Good luck with picking your stuff.

With distance irons, I found that I was less consistent from 150 yards and in simply because sometimes I would hit a flier that would go 10 yards farther than I had ever hit a club in my life.

With forged irons, I dont have this problem.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I played 36 holes today in a 27 mph wind. Not counting par 5's. I had 4 second shots that were outside 175 yards. Had the wind not been as strong I would have had none that long. If you are having to hit into the green from 200 plus on par 4's you are playing from the wrong tees.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I've found that once inside of 150 yards, it really helps to be able to hit less than full shots due to all of the variables that come in to play when trying to get it close (or where not to miss). Also, I feel that as the clubs get shorter, keeping your normal tempo on a full shot becomes more difficult. Because of that, I rarely play a full shot with any wedge in my hand unless I'm right at the number.

It's tough to predict just from the range how irons are going to pay on course. I loved the Callaway X-Hot and RocketBladz 7-iron on the range, but how is your game on course? I really like the idea of having a solid 200+yd iron in the bag, but I'm wondering how has it been dealing with. 117yd approach or short par 3, or dealing with 137yds halfway between clubs. I liked the feel and ball flight of the X-Hot a bit better, but thinking maybe the slightly smaller head size of the RocketBladz would play better on course. Resting a sore elbow his weekend, so lots of time to ponder these important questions...

It's a mistake to take Range distances straight to the fairway. The range gives you a reasonably ideal stance and lie and the fairway will often have the ball slightly above or below your feet, uphill or downhill and the target landing above or below you. All these things affect the carry and distance you can expect from a good shot. Throw in your personal average inconsistency and the needed shot being between clubs and you have a whole lot of planning to do. Flavor it with new clubs that have different lofts and you begin to wonder if you will ever learn this game. If somebody has a simple solution to this problem, I'd be very interested. For me, the only solution was to keep soldiering on and try to learn with every stroke by looking at every lie, making a quick decision and looking at how the ball carries and rolls. There is a never ending learning to golf.

The range helps much establishing the general performance of the clubs but the fairways can change the needed club simply by grass, lie and weather. You can also adjust needed carry by choosing a different landing area. As much as possible, let the conditions choose the club at your comfortable swing. If that is not possible, the decision falls to you to choose the club that either requires shrinking or stretching, whichever suits your purpose more.

These days or even in the old days, I never had a solid 200 yard club, though there were preferred clubs for the distance. Fairway conditions and needed type of landing combined with skill level and confidence either dictated or negated ambition. Reading is not done on the greens alone. You just have to learn how to see much and make quick decisions.

Shambles

From 170 in I pretty much have my irons dialed in and can make adjustments for wind, elevated tee or green. From 100 in I generally use my 52 wedge and just start the back swing from a different point, 7 o,clock through to a full swing depending on distance required.

I personally prefer long irons and carry 3 iron and sometimes a 2 iron depending on the day.

It is really annoying when I hit the 2 iron further and straighter than my driver. huh.gif

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

As problems to, this is a good one to have, having the money to bag a new set of irons plus a couple hybrids or woods.

That said I'm an analytical type so this will play to my strengths. In the end it'll come down to confidence, which will come down to feel, consistency and what appeals to the eye. Ad hopefully a good story to share. Thanks for sharing all of yours.

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

I am not consistent enough with 3/4 and 1/2 swings, so if I'm between clubs, I'll choke down a little and make a full swing.

My shortest club is a 58* wedge, which I use for 75 yard shots. Under 75 I still use my 58* and swing by visualizing the shot and feeling it. Not very scientific, but it works for me :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

It's a mistake to take Range distances straight to the fairway. The range gives you a reasonably ideal stance and lie and the fairway will often have the ball slightly above or below your feet, uphill or downhill and the target landing above or below you. All these things affect the carry and distance you can expect from a good shot. Throw in your personal average inconsistency and the needed shot being between clubs and you have a whole lot of planning to do. Flavor it with new clubs that have different lofts and you begin to wonder if you will ever learn this game. If somebody has a simple solution to this problem, I'd be very interested. For me, the only solution was to keep soldiering on and try to learn with every stroke by looking at every lie, making a quick decision and looking at how the ball carries and rolls. There is a never ending learning to golf.

The range helps much establishing the general performance of the clubs but the fairways can change the needed club simply by grass, lie and weather. You can also adjust needed carry by choosing a different landing area. As much as possible, let the conditions choose the club at your comfortable swing. If that is not possible, the decision falls to you to choose the club that either requires shrinking or stretching, whichever suits your purpose more.

These days or even in the old days, I never had a solid 200 yard club, though there were preferred clubs for the distance. Fairway conditions and needed type of landing combined with skill level and confidence either dictated or negated ambition. Reading is not done on the greens alone. You just have to learn how to see much and make quick decisions.

Shambles

+1 for course management mention, and oft forgotten piece of the amateur game.

Agree wholeheartedly. A couple of years ago on a summer golf trip I pulled out 4-iron on a 320 yard par four. Couple guys look at me strange like "why aren't you hitting driver?" One hit into the canyon one hit way right and I had a smooth pitching wedge for a GIR.

In my Clicgear B3

Callaway X Hot Pro 3W

Callaway X Hot 3H

Callaway X Hot 4H

Cleveland CG-10 56*

Callaway X Forged 60/9

I've been wanting to switch to hotter faced irons because I am by no means a long hitter. 7i just a tad over 145 carry. My experience with "distance" irons is that they are harder to hit finesse shots with. There is no "soft" 8 that carries slightly under 130 instead of my normal 8 which is slightly over 135 carry, 140 if I swing out of my socks.

The greens I play are smallish and hard, most anything long leaves a high lofted shot to a downhill green. Distance irons didn't stay long because I could never get the choked down full shot consistent.

The closest solution I could ever get to getting good distance control with them was using balls that spun a ton. Shots would hold greens better but I also lost half a club vs using my normal balls (TS XjD and TM TP3). I ended up putting a 60 wedge back for the shots from over the green.

In the end. I only kept the 4 and 5 iron distance irons because at 180 yards I'm just trying to get pin high. Eventually the 4 has also been replaced by a 4 hybrid with a steel shaft that has a pretty flat lie angle.

Archived