TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno MX-25s

sparnar

Hi spies

I've been playing Mizuno MP-53s for a year and a half now, and over the last few months have come to accept that these irons are hurting my game. By some guesstimation, they can easily cost me 4-5 strokes per round, maybe more on a bad day.

Anyways, this lead me to buying a few different 6 irons off the bay, so I could do a bit of a comparison. For me, the 6 iron is the club where I start to get some inconsistent results, so I thought that would be a good club to use for the comparison.

One of the clubs I got, was a Mizuno MX-25. It has a TT Dynalite Gold SL (super light) shaft in stiff flex.

I really, really like this club. I was under the impression it is a game improvement club, but I was surprised at the feel of this club. It feels really good coming off the face.

I would like to know if any of you ever gamed these, or just hit them, and what your thoughts were? I need some forgiveness, and right now this club feels great, but it could just be a bit of a honeymoon period.

Also, could it be that I just found the perfect shaft by accident, and that is why this club is performing well for me, or is it rather the club head that is performing really well?

Just for reference, the other clubs I used in the comparison are listed below. I deliberately got a few different shafts.

Ping G15 (stock stiff)

Mizuno JPX800 (Dynalite Gold XP stiff)

Mizuno MX200 (Dynalite Gold XP stiff)

Mizuno MP53 (DGS 300)

TMag Rocketbladez (KBS 90 stiff)

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Ive gamed a set of these in the past. Theyre nice. Forgiving but they still have a nice, soft feel. If someone were on a budget and couldnt afford JPX 800/825 Pros or MX-200s, they would be a great option.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

RP, you should enter the Mizzy Staff contest.....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Let me first say that following your journey from your "Breaking 100" thread has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my little over two years as a member at MGS. As a member you epitomize the very best the MGS has to offer and your humility, honesty and openness in discussing and documenting your highs and successes along with the obstacles and temporary setbacks is just a confirmation of your class as an individual. I consider it a privilege to exchange with you.

Well said, RP. I very much enjoy reading the progression of that thread too.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

One of the clubs I got, was a Mizuno MX-25. It has a TT Dynalite Gold SL (super light) shaft in stiff flex.

I really, really like this club. I was under the impression it is a game improvement club, but I was surprised at the feel of this club. It feels really good coming off the face.

I would like to know if any of you ever gamed these, or just hit them, and what your thoughts were? I need some forgiveness, and right now this club feels great, but it could just be a bit of a honeymoon period.

MX25 was my first set of clubs when I picked up golf, wit the stock TT SL R300 shaft. Played about 3 years with them. They brought me down to hcp 18. I loved how they looked. Loved the feel and sound on impact. I loved cleaning them, admiring them, to me they were a thing of beauty. Forged iron with no badging or inserts, but still a little help engineered in, just how I like it.

Then I switched to Ping i20 (because Mizuno phased out the MP53 and has no real successor for it, nor for the MX25). So with the Pings in mind to compare, in retrospect, I still loooooooooooove the Mizuno's. I escpecially have fond memories of the 8-PW, which rewarded good strikes with some awesome approaches and for some reasons gave me lots of confidence.

Forgiveness MX25 vs i20. Is that relevant ? A good strike is a good one, a bad one is a bad one. My misses are:

-1- fat .. here the i20 is clearly more forgiving and nets more distance

-2- thin .. can't see the difference

-3- I tend to (unfortunately) have an outside to inside swing, so those misses can result in slices on bad days. Not a very clear winner here. But I feel the i20's are litle bit better for slicers than MX25.

So for my game, the i20's are more forgiving. YMMV.

BUT, at the moment my Ping are still my golf tools, no love whatsoever.

I wonder if that might change though if I swap the CFS shafts out for KBS shafts (of which I looooved the feel in my previous vokey wedges).

If Mizuno came with a MX25 successor again, ie forged iron with no badging/inserts and still a bit of help engineered in, I'd be all over them.

Long story short, get the MX25 ! Wonderfull clubs !

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

I played them for 3 years. I liked the feel and forgiveness of them. They launched a bit high for me, but that may be because I was playing R flex shafts and I really need S flex. They are solid set of irons.

Thanks for posting, silver & black.

Did you ever consider sticking some stiff shafts in them? Or did you grow out of these?

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Ive gamed a set of these in the past. Theyre nice. Forgiving but they still have a nice, soft feel. If someone were on a budget and couldnt afford JPX 800/825 Pros or MX-200s, they would be a great option.

Thanks, Gaijin_Golfer!

I really like this iron. I was a little surprised at the feel. When I flush my MP53 6i it feels really soft, the MX25 feels a bit more solid. And to me it feels like the MX25 has a larger sweet spot. When reading my views on these, please keep in mind that I am a high handicapper and that my contact can be a bit inconsistent. So what I find, and feel, might be different to a more skilled golfer.

I thought I wasn't too worried about how a club feels, but when I compared these irons, I could really tell the difference between them. The JPX 825 was quite disappointing in feel, I really wanted to like it. I should probably try out a 800 Pro or a 825 Pro as well. The TMag doesn't have great feel, I couldn't get any kind of swing going with the Ping, and the MX 200 wasn't as nice as the MX25. Couldn't get on with the MX200 for some reason.

I am gaming the Rocketbladez in 4i-6i at the moment though, and was contemplating getting the 7-PW as well. But having hit the MX25, I find myself searching the bay for a good looking set. I am becoming a ho.

Anyway, I've gotten a little side tracked here.

GG, how long did you game these for? And why did you replace these?

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Let me first say that following your journey from your "Breaking 100" thread has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my little over two years as a member at MGS. As a member you epitomize the very best the MGS has to offer and your humility, honesty and openness in discussing and documenting your highs and successes along with the obstacles and temporary setbacks is just a confirmation of your class as an individual. I consider it a privilege to exchange with you.

Regarding the MX-25s, these irons were the follow-up to the most successful iron, retail sales wise, of any iron Mizzy had released, up to that point in time. It still could be the case, though I do not know to date figures. The point is, the 25s had big shoes to fill. They were the first MX iron to undergo the "Grain Flow Forging" process and they also were manufactured with 1035 Carbon steel instead of the 1025 carbon steel that the 23s were made from. This was for a softer feel.

It must have worked because in a "blind" test, this was the first time that the Staffers could not tell the difference between the MX iron, MX-25, & the MP-60, the Tour Blade at the time. That is impressive. Also, the 25s had the "Triple Cut" sole for more flexibility in myriad lies and situations, along with a more rounded trailing edge, which would give you more flexibility in both the fairway and tighter lies.

Regardless of how one would classify the MX-25, it is amongst the best that Mizzy has put out in the MX line, and having hit both, I would definitely take the 25s over the current GI offering, the regular JPX 825s. You have played and improved steadily and while I have never been a fan of the 53s, and while they are more "forgiving" than the 60 series irons and the 58s or 59s, you still have a relatively small area(sweet spot) in which to make contact to maximize your outcome.

Don't give a second thought to the moniker(MP or MX or JPX). Believe me when I say that you're gonna feel a hell of a lot better firing an 86 with the 25s than you would a 91-92 with the 53s. And Jeff Sluman, who played Mizzy even when he wasn't a paid Staffer, currently bags a full set of MX-1000s.

Regarding your shaft selection, I would not classify it as an accident at all. Obviously you did not order the shaft in the irons that you have played, however, the way that you are going about it, by hitting them on a course, is how I've "tested" every shaft that I've ever put in a club. I've never selected a shaft based on LM numbers. I've selected them based on how they performed on a course and the practice tee. And I realize that I am kucky that I'm able to take a set TTs out on the course to play one day and a set of PX Rifles another, however I just like having realistic situations and basing my decisions on my past history with my other clubs in similar situations.

However, please do not take this as a shot at LM fitting because that is probably the best, most practical and complete way to get fit, however your way is fine. It could very well be that you had the right head in the right shaft though if you think that the MX-25 is your best head and you might want to try another shaft, have one of the local pro shop guys switch it out for you.

The other thing, and you may not be able to find a set, however they're two members at my club who, to this day, and one plays the JPX 800 Pros, the other the 825 Pros, and both state that if they could find a set of MX-23s(yes, the 23s, not 25s) in 9 condition, they'd be in their bags today. So if ya can find one, ya might wanna try it.

Well, thanx again for including us in your journey, it's been a lot of fun :)

My Very Best,

Richard

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

* My apologies on butchering the pics again, I swear that I made them both small when I e-mailed them to myself to transfer to my album. This is more complicated than Danno & Rick claim it to be B)

Hi Richard, thank you again for some very kind words!

And thank you for the little Mizuno history lesson. Very interesting.

I have checked out the bay, and there are actually a number of MX23 sets available. No surprise that there are so many available with them having sold so well. There are definitely more of the 23s available than the 25s, but I haven't looked at the condition of the sets just yet. The 23s are also a fair bit cheaper compared to the 25s, so they might have a bit more wear.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a MX23 6 iron, so I can give it a whirl.

There is a executive course (we call them mashie courses) down the road from my home, where there a few holes where 6i comes into play. I want to go there, and take the MX25, MP53, JPX800 and Rocketbladez 6 irons and compare results. There will be a bit of difference, I'm sure, in distance, but I want to compare ball flight and forgiveness on a more like-for-like basis. At the range I go to, the ball are a bag of all sorts (Titleist, plenty of Srixon, Dunlop, Callaway, Nike, TMag and some other brands as well), so you can't really compare.

And I also feel that on-course results, as Richard also prefers, will be the bottom line. I know I can flush plenty of MP53 shots at the range, but on course I can't replicate. So while the jury is looking favourably on the MX25s at the moment, they still have a lot to mull over.

Thanks again, Richard.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Well said, RP. I very much enjoy reading the progression of that thread too.

Thanks for the kind words, BK! It means a lot.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

MX25 was my first set of clubs when I picked up golf, wit the stock TT SL R300 shaft. Played about 3 years with them. They brought me down to hcp 18. I loved how they looked. Loved the feel and sound on impact. I loved cleaning them, admiring them, to me they were a thing of beauty. Forged iron with no badging or inserts, but still a little help engineered in, just how I like it.

Then I switched to Ping i20 (because Mizuno phased out the MP53 and has no real successor for it, nor for the MX25). So with the Pings in mind to compare, in retrospect, I still loooooooooooove the Mizuno's. I escpecially have fond memories of the 8-PW, which rewarded good strikes with some awesome approaches and for some reasons gave me lots of confidence.

Forgiveness MX25 vs i20. Is that relevant ? A good strike is a good one, a bad one is a bad one. My misses are:

-1- fat .. here the i20 is clearly more forgiving and nets more distance

-2- thin .. can't see the difference

-3- I tend to (unfortunately) have an outside to inside swing, so those misses can result in slices on bad days. Not a very clear winner here. But I feel the i20's are litle bit better for slicers than MX25.

So for my game, the i20's are more forgiving. YMMV.

BUT, at the moment my Ping are still my golf tools, no love whatsoever.

I wonder if that might change though if I swap the CFS shafts out for KBS shafts (of which I looooved the feel in my previous vokey wedges).

If Mizuno came with a MX25 successor again, ie forged iron with no badging/inserts and still a bit of help engineered in, I'd be all over them.

Long story short, get the MX25 ! Wonderfull clubs !

Thanks for the very informative post, bcgolf!

Sounds like these served you very well. Did you wear out your MX25s, or did you switch for some other reason?

I tend to hit a few fat as well, so I will keep an eye on the 25s for that particular mishit.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

Sounds like these served you very well. Did you wear out your MX25s, or did you switch for some other reason?

I tend to hit a few fat as well, so I will keep an eye on the 25s for that particular mishit.

They did serve me well. But they were really dinged up, and the grooves weren't so sharp anymore. Also shaft was maybe a bit on the soft side and the lie was a bit flat for me, as I had bought them off the shelf. Basically I was just rationalising why I "had to" buy another set at the time ;-)

Nothing to do with me being not happy with them ! I could have easily played them for several more seasons !

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

GG, how long did you game these for? And why did you replace these?

I gamed them for about a year. I ended up replacing them with a set of MP-32s. No good reason, I simply wanted more of a bladed iron.

About the 800/825 Pros, you should try them. I love mine. Great, soft feel but still a pretty forgiving iron and actually a fairly hot face for a forged club. I dont deny Mizuno's claim that they are the longest forged irons that you can buy because Im crushing the ball with my 800 Pros.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Thanks for posting, silver & black.

Did you ever consider sticking some stiff shafts in them? Or did you grow out of these?

I did consider putting new shafts in them. I would have done that had my brother not taken up the game. I promised him I would give him the MX-25's when his game progressed a bit further. Right now he's shooting anywhere from 106 to sometimes 120.

I definitely didn't outgrow them. I just got a case of the "I want new irons", so I went and hit the MP-59's, MP-64's and the 825 pro's. I ended up with the MP-64's because I loved the look and I hit them fairly well. So far, I'm loving them. That said, I'd still play the MX-25's any day.

I gamed them for about a year. I ended up replacing them with a set of MP-32s. No good reason, I simply wanted more of a bladed iron.

About the 800/825 Pros, you should try them. I love mine. Great, soft feel but still a pretty forgiving iron and actually a fairly hot face for a forged club. I dont deny Mizuno's claim that they are the longest forged irons that you can buy because Im crushing the ball with my 800 Pros.

GG, how would you compare the forgiveness between the 800 Pros and the MX25s? And how do they compare in general?

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I also have a JPX 800 6i. I thought if I wanted more forgiveness than what my current MP53s offer, I should rather go for the JPX 800, than the 800 Pros. I really wanted to like the 800s, but I prefer the MX25 over it.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

I did consider putting new shafts in them. I would have done that had my brother not taken up the game. I promised him I would give him the MX-25's when his game progressed a bit further. Right now he's shooting anywhere from 106 to sometimes 120.

I definitely didn't outgrow them. I just got a case of the "I want new irons", so I went and hit the MP-59's, MP-64's and the 825 pro's. I ended up with the MP-64's because I loved the look and I hit them fairly well. So far, I'm loving them. That said, I'd still play the MX-25's any day.

Thanks, silver & black.

Sounds like you still have a soft spot for the 25s. That must be testament to how good they were for you.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

GG, how would you compare the forgiveness between the 800 Pros and the MX25s? And how do they compare in general?

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I also have a JPX 800 6i. I thought if I wanted more forgiveness than what my current MP53s offer, I should rather go for the JPX 800, than the 800 Pros. I really wanted to like the 800s, but I prefer the MX25 over it.

Id say they are comparable in terms of forgiveness but the 800/825 Pros have a hotter face.

Archived