Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Going Golfing with my Wife

JREcklund03

Alright, I might need a lot of help on this one! As my interest in golf has continued to grow over the last few years, my wife's curiosity with the sport has as well. We have been in the talks of starting to go together; which, well, uhhh, could possibly be very scary! My wife has never swung a club before in her life, but who am I to say no to someone with a possible interest in the sport. So here is where I need some help, does anyone have any advice or tips on how to get her into the sport? She will be borrowing her Mom's clubs, so that should be no issue. I have looked at some possible options which include mini golf (like I mentioned, never swung a club before in her life and has not even played mini golf before), driving range, or go full on sink or swim and play a round early in the morning so we don't have to worry about people behind us?

Driver: Taylormade R9 8.5° S

Fairway Wood: TBD
Irons: Cobra Amp 4i-9i
Wedges: SCOR 4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Rossie XG

Bag: TBD

If you have a 9-hole short course (pitch & putt or similar) that might be a good option - somewhere where you are not going to feel pressured to keep moving at pace (and hence not pressuring your wife to hurry up lol). Definitely encourage it though!

I would agree - 9 hole par 3 course is probably a good place to start. Golf Galaxy is starting a beginners on-course program - looks pretty interesting.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

A course around here just started a couples league. There is no commitment, and it's not competitive. The email said to come one week or every week. There are raffles and door prizes, and they welcome first time golfers...

Maybe look for something like that in your area...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Just did that with a friend. We took our wives to make a foursome. I had taken my wife to an executive course once a couple of years ago. His wife has been a couple of times, but not for years. Give her a couple of pointers to start maybe. But don't try to explain what she needs to do differently each time she swings. Let her find her way on the course. My wife said she had fun and wants to practice and go more. She said if she had been bogged down with technical stuff and worried about how to do everything, she wouldn't have been able to enjoy it and wouldn't want to try again.

My friend wanted us to go to a nice course for 18. His wife was having a harder time. I gave them the option to stop after 9. They said we could do some more. We ended up stopping at 14. My wife would have kept going. His wife I could tell was beat. Swinging 5-10 times for one shot sometimes, not being used to using those muscles, putting everything she has into hitting...I could tell we needed to take her in or she wouldn't want to come back. I should have planned on only 9 holes or the executive course for them. Less stress about holding people up, less intimidating for someone new, and a short round.

Just make it fun and simple. Put her ball in an easy spot if it ends up in a bad lie. Don't worry about a score at all. If she enjoys just being out there no matter how bad her swings and shots are, she'll probably want to come back.

A little par 3 course i

I REALLY don't want my wife to get interested in playing golf. We've got a deal on the weekends that I go play golf and she call's me when she's done mowing our yard (big yard, have an acreage).

If my wife played golf, our yard would never get mowed! :lol:

Seriously though, IF she did get interested in trying to play, I'd take her to a course that has a range and practice area and start her off with the putter then wedge, short irons, etc.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I agree with apprenti23 and get her a lesson or two with a PGA pro. I can't find the thread but we talked about this a few times. I started out with a group lesson to get the basics (less intimidating and learned how to actually be able to hit the ball). Maybe take her out to a 9 hole or pitch and putt. If she likes it, I would suggest a semi-private lesson with the both of you or a private lesson to build confidence (I went a year between the group lesson and the semi-private lessons).

Have fun!

My wife did the same thing last year and at first I had my reservations, hey its guy time right? I asked her ifshe was sserious and she said she wasso I bought her a starter set off eBay. We started off at the drivingrrange I bought her a glove and gave her some pointers, mostly hit the little yellow ball and not the big green one. She caught on quickly moving her way through her bag with ease and declared she liked it, so Much so she had blisters so we called it a day. The next weekend she wanted to go again so off to the range we went. Another successful day even pulled out the driver once or twice. She was ready to play. Fortunately we have a small par three that's always pretty empty so off we went. She did very well even scored a couple pars. And that was the end of it but there's a nice starter set of women's clubs taking up space in my garage... maybe this year will be different

Thanks all, I walked her through what you all recommended. Game plan for Saturday is to go to the driving range and share a bucket of balls. We have done enough home renovation projects together that I know I won't be trying to teach her anything :lol:; so I will just let her swing away and experiment on her own to start. From there if she likes it we will do the executive course that is offered. Biggest concern here would be fatigue, but shouldn't be a big deal to walk off the course 3-4 holes in. If she gets done with that and does happen to enjoy it we will take it from there. We have looked at spending time with a pro and having him coach and train to start, but since she honestly has no clue if she would actually like it, we didn't feel that the money would be very well spent in that direction at this time.

Wish me luck! I will send ya an update this weekend, but if I don't respond please come pick me up at the course because my wife left me there! :P

Take a look here: http://www.mygolfspy.com/daughter-wife-to-like-golf/

MGS published an article about this topic... you can also scroll down to see all the related comments, tips and advice!

Very helpful! :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• SPY VIP

Take a look here: http://www.mygolfspy.com/daughter-wife-to-like-golf/

MGS published an article about this topic... you can also scroll down to see all the related comments, tips and advice!

Very helpful! :lol:

Whoa walk down memory lane. The Mrs. killed it in the comments too.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Buy her lessons with your local PGA pro- husbands teaching wives works out once out of every 100 times. Save yourself the frustration and let someone who knows how to teach golf show them how to golf!

+10!! Listen to a pro/teacher. He knows of what he speaks.

As one who learned the game before I was married, though the guy that I was dating at the time practically lived on the course(Richard), I was nervous that he would want to teach me because he was an accomplished player. I was pleasantly surprised because he took me straight over to the club and introduced me to the top asst. and said, "she's all yours." LOL, and he never "stepped in" and offered advice and really only reinforced what my teacher had taught me and only if I asked him. This is the biggest favor that you could do for your wife.

And I think that the best post/article that I have read on golfing with a significant other was written by the MGS Ladies Pro and the best post that I have read in that article was typed by Mrs. Manbearpig. It would be greatly worth your while to read the thread because there were a few nice posts in it, though hers stands out. It is in the blog.

And remember, it's a game. Enjoy your time on the course with wife :P

Good luck

:)

+10!! Listen to a pro/teacher. He knows of what he speaks.

As one who learned the game before I was married, though the guy that I was dating at the time practically lived on the course(Richard), I was nervous that he would want to teach me because he was an accomplished player. I was pleasantly surprised because he took me straight over to the club and introduced me to the top asst. and said, "she's all yours." LOL, and he never "stepped in" and offered advice and really only reinforced what my teacher had taught me and only if I asked him. This is the biggest favor that you could do for your wife.

And I think that the best post/article that I have read on golfing with a significant other was written by the MGS Ladies Pro and the best post that I have read in that article was typed by Mrs. Manbearpig. It would be greatly worth your while to read the thread because there were a few nice posts in it, though hers stands out. It is in the blog.

And remember, it's a game. Enjoy your time on the course with wife :P

Good luck

Also speaking from experience this is the route to go. A few years back my wife wanted to learn to play and before I even had her on the course or the range with me I got her into the women's beginner lessons at my club. I figured that in the 12 years we had been together she never listened to a damn thing that I told her so she was not going to start now.

Another valuable lesson is not to change the things the pro tells her since you do not agree........let the pro teach his way and it will be just fine.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Go out late, an hour or so before sunset. Don't keep score and just enjoy being together. No one will be on the course and she can hit as many as possible

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

Well, I made it back home safe and sound so that is a plus! We went out yesterday, kinda cold and drizzling, but my wife was bored and said she wanted to go. So I took her to the range and got 2 buckets of balls. I kinda just showed her my stance and how to hold a club and where to stand. I have a Mickelson hunchback so have no where near a good stance but tried to just have her stand over the ball however it was comfortable. After hitting a few 20-30 yard worm burners she asked how far a typical hole is...I pointed out to a flag about 350 yards and told her that far. So she was a bit shocked, but kept hitting a few balls. She did find that she got closer to 50 yard mark if she held the club like a hockey stick (one hand at the top of the grip, with the other at the bottom). It was how she felt comfortable so I wasn't really going to stop it or say anything at this point. But at the end she said she would be interested in going again, just wasn't sure if it would be worth it to spend the $100 per session with a pro at this point.

Yea, it depends on her interest and personality. With my wife, I explained just a few basic things about stance, grip, keeping left arm fairly straight instead of letting it collapse etc. I showed her how to turn without coming out of her posture, but she hasn't gotten that down. When we went, I just let her find her way after that. Knowing her, if I gave her technical instructions on how you're "supposed" to do it, she wouldn't keep her interest. If she stays interested enough to eventually want to learn more to play better, then we'll look at some instruction maybe.

But that's just her. I doubt she'll ever care what her score is. If she wants to go, it will just be to enjoy being out there. Someone else may want to know all that stuff early on so they can see improvement. I just want to make it enjoyable for her now so she wants to come back.

So you had no idea how to tell her to stand, had her holding the club like a hockey stick, and still haven't decided to go with the pro??????

What a joke

Hitting 50 yard worm burners isn't fun for anyone. Next time you want to show someone how to hit a golf ball, leave your clubs at home. You won't be able to practice as you'll be busy teaching. Scratch that, I think next time you bring her to the range bring your clubs and practice on the far end as she gets a lesson on the opposite end!

http://www.playgolfamerica.com/

Find a local one within your budget and good luck!

I think you might have missed the point and perhaps I didn't completely elaborate, but my wife wanted to try and go golfing because of my joy and passion for the sport. Honestly, it is not something that I ever see her competing or really picking up weekly or even monthly. I think the main reason she asked was to just see what I spend 2-3 nights a week doing to try and understand why it brings me joy. Out of the two bucket of balls we got, I hit less than 5 shots as I tried to help her make better contact. You may say someone doesn't find hitting 50 yard worm burners very fun, but honestly we did. This was an afternoon I spent with my wife who had never hit a ball before and making contact alone put a smile on her face. She may not even be close to having a good golf swing, but she switched to her "hockey stance" after trying to swing in a golf stance. It was what made her comfortable and what felt natural for her (probably because us Minnesotans are born with ice skates on our feet and a hockey stick in our hand). We have talked about it and she would like to try and hit a few balls again using a golf stance, but mentioned she couldn't see spending more than 10 dollars an hour for someone to help her figure it out...not sure anyone will be in that budget and honestly that's alright. We will enjoy our own time out on the links and ensure we don't wreck play for anyone else.

Who knows, maybe this will evolve into something she would like to do more often and at some point lessons would interest her, but right now we will stick to the 3 dollars for a bucket of balls or the 11 dollars to play the executive course.

I think you might have missed the point and perhaps I didn't completely elaborate, but my wife wanted to try and go golfing because of my joy and passion for the sport. Honestly, it is not something that I ever see her competing or really picking up weekly or even monthly. I think the main reason she asked was to just see what I spend 2-3 nights a week doing to try and understand why it brings me joy. Out of the two bucket of balls we got, I hit less than 5 shots as I tried to help her make better contact. You may say someone doesn't find hitting 50 yard worm burners very fun, but honestly we did. This was an afternoon I spent with my wife who had never hit a ball before and making contact alone put a smile on her face. She may not even be close to having a good golf swing, but she switched to her "hockey stance" after trying to swing in a golf stance. It was what made her comfortable and what felt natural for her (probably because us Minnesotans are born with ice skates on our feet and a hockey stick in our hand). We have talked about it and she would like to try and hit a few balls again using a golf stance, but mentioned she couldn't see spending more than 10 dollars an hour for someone to help her figure it out...not sure anyone will be in that budget and honestly that's alright. We will enjoy our own time out on the links and ensure we don't wreck play for anyone else.

Who knows, maybe this will evolve into something she would like to do more often and at some point lessons would interest her, but right now we will stick to the 3 dollars for a bucket of balls or the 11 dollars to play the executive course.

I think it's great you got to spend time together and she took an interest in your hobby. I know a lot of women who don't care. I didn't care much for golf but like your wife I was curious to see what it was all about and for me it turned in a hobby but it won't for some.

A group lesson may be cheaper and then she'll learn the basics, and you guys can go to the range more and spend time. It'll give her some more confidence and make it a little more fun too. If not, just enjoy spending time together! B)

Start her out with some, "get golf ready" or other similar beginners' lessons. You dont want to try to be her golf coach.

Beyond that, just keep it fun. Be encouraging and DO NOT give her swing tips unless she asks you first. Take her to 9 hole par 3 courses, that way the holes will be distances that she feels like she can get around in a reasonable number of strokes.

Beyond that, just keep it light and fun. Also, Id leave an open invitation and let her tell you when she wants to go.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Just make it as fun as possible not much teaching let her look at others ... and who cares if she completes the hole not ..if she has fun she will want to go back... let her hit and then bring her to your ball to hit again ... just so its easy on her and she does'nt have to worry about the people behind you.

I would give a million dollars to have my wife golf with me....

DRIVER Nike Corvert [9.5°] R-Flex (Won in Fantasy Game)

Fairway Driver (No Name) Flex ? Better than a 3 wood anyday

Callaway RAZR X Iron 5 to PW R Flex

Callaway Hydrid X Hot 3 & 4

Titliest 910 5 Wood

No Name Sand Wedge

Putter - Tour Select\

Shoes Callaway RAZR Black

Ball Callaway Type (Relevant to weather)

Special Note: New Nike Driver Won thegolfspace.com Callaway Irons & Shoes won in a online Fantasy Game,!, Putter bought at Salvation Army 1.99. Sand Wedge Free. Fairway Drivers Salvation Army 5.00 ...Overall cost 6.99 for everything.

And believe me, I had to fight the urge to say anything to PFC BB(I'm Richard), because her first grip on the club was a "split" ten finger, though not the extreme of a hockey grip. She still uses a ten finger, however it's conventional and she broke 80 from the whites last week playin with men, playin em as they they lay, countin em all & playin it into the cup.

Whats wrong with the 10-finger? I recently switched to the 10-finger because it makes it easier for me to release the club and allows my right hand to be more dominant.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Whats wrong with the 10-finger? I recently switched to the 10-finger because it makes it easier for me to release the club and allows my right hand to be more dominant.

HaHa, maybe Richard didn't make himself clearly understood. While my hands were not as far apart as a "hockey" grip, they were, as Richard said, probably 2-3"s, and sometimes a little more if it was a longer club(driver), lol ;)

He never dissuaded me from the ten finger, "baseball" grip, nor did my pro/teacher.

As I stated, I use it to this day.

well, I wish you the best this year

Have fun

Archived