Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Where to get fitted?

Hello everybody

I am wanting to go get fitted for a driver I am trying to decide where to have this done. I live in western Ohio and my options as far as I know are dicks sporting goods, golf galaxy and bobicks golf(golf store in ft. Wayne). I know there are several smaller closer options but they don't have track man or any high tech gear of any type. The big three that I named first are all about 65 miles at best from my house. So which would you go to and why?

Thanks

Paul

Any big box is a crap shoot: might be good if you find a good employee and they have up-to-date, well-stocked fitting carts.

If you can make the trip to Philadelphia, there's a Club Champion there with Trackman and more toys than you can imagine. Not convenient, I realize, but it's not something you're going to do often, may as well do it right.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Not sure if any of these are close to you, but here are all the fitters in OH that made the Golf Digest top 100 fitters list. As with any GD list take it with a grain of salt, but this would be a pretty good place to start...

Conquest Custom Golf

Cincinnati

513-312-1598

conquestcustomgolf.com

GolfTEC

(two locations)

Cleveland

216-454-0074

golftec.com

Golfsmith

Columbus, Ohio

614-475-6030

birdiesandtees.com

Granville Golfland

Granville, Ohio

740-587-4147

granvillegolfland.com

McGolf Custom Clubs

Waverly, Ohio

740-941-GOLF (4653)

mcgolf.net

FW Golf

Wickliffe, Ohio

440-829-0420

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2013-05/100-best-clubfitters#ixzz2Ugv4SoOe

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Thanks for the quick replies the golfsmith in Columbus would be the most realistic option of those. I just don't think I could make Philly a reasonable sell to my wife, but I will try. And Matt I have a question for you if I can't make it to philadelphia should I just keep using a off the rack driver?

Thanks again

Paul

I'm sure that each retail store type club fitter is different from one location to another.

If you are going to spend a lot of money for 1 club, I'd suggest you try going to a non-retail store type fitter.

For example, if you are going for Taylormade driver with a Mitsubishi shaft, go to privately owned business who specializes in that shaft that has a trackman.

I find that retail stores in my area usually just try to sell. Even the ones that are managed by my friend.

If you're in Columbus there is a golfect in Polaris. That's where I've gotten my driver fitted and had a great experience. Didn't feel rushed to buy and got good insight on my numbers. I plan to go back there when I get new irons as well

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Thanks for the quick replies the golfsmith in Columbus would be the most realistic option of those. I just don't think I could make Philly a reasonable sell to my wife, but I will try. And Matt I have a question for you if I can't make it to philadelphia should I just keep using a off the rack driver?

Thanks again

Paul

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Don't let great be the enemy of good/better. It's quite possible you can find a very good fit, perhaps even a perfect one, with the selection at a big box fitter. Perhaps an off the rack driver will fit you perfectly. I would suggest educating yourself on the numbers, figure out what you want in a club, and then see if one of the stores near you can deliver. If they can, that's great. If not, no harm done, just book a trip to Philly.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Don't let great be the enemy of good/better. It's quite possible you can find a very good fit, perhaps even a perfect one, with the selection at a big box fitter. Perhaps an off the rack driver will fit you perfectly. I would suggest educating yourself on the numbers, figure out what you want in a club, and then see if one of the stores near you can deliver. If they can, that's great. If not, no harm done, just book a trip to Philly.

They have a club champion in Chicago as well which might be a little closer going from western OH

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I just read this list... Take it with a grain of salt. There is a process to getting on a list like this. While I agree that some of the fitters on this list are TOP NOTCH, some on the list are a joke, and some unbelievable club fitters are left off. Use it as a starting point....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The ICG (international club makers guild) mentioned above is an excellent place to find someone. They're well qualified.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody

I am wanting to go get fitted for a driver I am trying to decide where to have this done. I live in western Ohio and my options as far as I know are dicks sporting goods, golf galaxy and bobicks golf(golf store in ft. Wayne). I know there are several smaller closer options but they don't have track man or any high tech gear of any type. The big three that I named first are all about 65 miles at best from my house. So which would you go to and why?

Thanks

Paul

I don't know if you've had a fitting yet. If not, there some great fitters that may be within a reasonable drive for you. In Michigan, there is Miles of Golf in Ypsilanti and Carl's Golfland in the Detroit area. In Ohio, Granville Golfland and Golf Exchange in Greater Cincinnati (Florence, KY) are notch. All of these fitters use very high end golf launch monitors : Trackman or Flightscope.

If you want someone totally unbelievable and can travel, check out Frank Viola in Boston or Joe Kwok in San Francisco. They both do tour level fitting.

It looks like a good day to play golf!

Hello everybody

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

If Columbus is ok for a trip spend the slightly longer time in the driver seat and go see Bill at Conquest Golf. You will not be disappointed.

Jim

McGolf

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Paul,

If Columbus is ok for a trip spend the slightly longer time in the driver seat and go see Bill at Conquest Golf. You will not be disappointed.

Jim

McGolf

Is that Bill Weitzel at Conquest Golf in Cincinatti? He was going to be one of my recommendations. I'd also mention John Dranschak at Dead Solid Perfect Golf Clubs in Sunbury (looks like it's just north of Columbus). I've heard good things about both guys.

Is that Bill Weitzel at Conquest Golf in Cincinatti? He was going to be one of my recommendations. I'd also mention John Dranschak at Dead Solid Perfect Golf Clubs in Sunbury (looks like it's just north of Columbus). I've heard good things about both guys.

Both are good but dead solid in sunbury doesn't offer any of the major OEMs so the clubs are a little more expensive

• 4 months later...

Probably too late but...

http://wishongolf.com/find-a-clubfitter/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived