Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

"One look at Augusta in 3-D will make high-definition seem obsolete."

NGage

Richard Sandomir got a sneak peek at the Masters in 3-D and appears to have been blown away by what he saw.

If the test footage shot recently at the Augusta National Golf Club is an authentic gauge, the Masters in 3-D will look terrific. Only a few thousand early adopters with 3-D television sets will be able to see the tournament in this manner, but they will be fortunate: one look at Augusta in 3-D will make high-definition seem obsolete.

This had to make Tim Finchem's morning...

Golf may be perfect for 3-D. It is a slow sport, one player in action at a time. Cameras need not pan quickly and can be closer than they are in, say, football or baseball.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2010/4/1/one-look-at-augusta-in-3-d-will-make-high-definition-seem-ob.html

Richard Sandomir got a sneak peek at the Masters in 3-D and appears to have been blown away by what he saw.

If the test footage shot recently at the Augusta National Golf Club is an authentic gauge, the Masters in 3-D will look terrific. Only a few thousand early adopters with 3-D television sets will be able to see the tournament in this manner, but they will be fortunate: one look at Augusta in 3-D will make high-definition seem obsolete.

This had to make Tim Finchem's morning...

Golf may be perfect for 3-D. It is a slow sport, one player in action at a time. Cameras need not pan quickly and can be closer than they are in, say, football or baseball.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2010/4/1/one-look-at-augusta-in-3-d-will-make-high-definition-seem-ob.html

Meh. Why should I be excited about something I can't have? Make it accessible by making it affordable and then I'll get excited.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Meh. Why should I be excited about something I can't have? Make it accessible by making it affordable and then I'll get excited.

You think you can't have it, my father is blind in one eye, so 3D doesn't work for him. It's going to be a long time before I have a 3DTV. And by a long time I mean when I have my own place. Like in 4-5 years.

I checked out the 3D displays at Best Buy the other day and I can sum it up like this: unimpressive. I was surprised that the TV itself didn't cost more (the ones I saw were in the low $2000 range), but the glasses are $150 per pair. Ultimately, to me, the cost is irrelevant because it did not impress me at all. I've seen some of the newer movies in 3D, and it's nice, but it's not something that I see myself paying money for. The jump from standard def to HD is a WOW! especially if you like sports. 2D to 3D...meh.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I checked out the 3D displays at Best Buy the other day and I can sum it up like this: unimpressive. I was surprised that the TV itself didn't cost more (the ones I saw were in the low $2000 range), but the glasses are $150 per pair. Ultimately, to me, the cost is irrelevant because it did not impress me at all. I've seen some of the newer movies in 3D, and it's nice, but it's not something that I see myself paying money for. The jump from standard def to HD is a WOW! especially if you like sports. 2D to 3D...meh.

Good to know. and you're right - like any technology it will get better and cheaper over time.

I just think Finchem should be spending his energy on doing things that will make the game more watchable for the majority of the television audience. Not something that will improve the viewing for one tenth of one percent or whatever the 3d household adoption is at this point.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I give it a few years to improve and the prices to come down, then I am all for it!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived