TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cobra Amp Cell Irons Forum Member Reviews!

GolfSpy WD

I hit the 5 iron. This wasn't really a comprehensive review, just some quick impressions.

Oh ok, i was just wondering because I'm thinking of getting a 3 iron and using it as a driving iron

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh ok, i was just wondering because I'm thinking of getting a 3 iron and using it as a driving iron

Our sets are all 4-gw, but the 4i loft is 21° which would have been considered a 3i a few years ago. It took me a little bit to get used to the 4 & 5 irons, but now I feel very comfortable with them. It's definitely worth a shot as a driving iron, but I would highly recommend hitting a bunch of different ones before hand. With all the driving irons that came out this year I'm sure you can find something that works for you.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great review barajo! Are you planning on upgrading the shafts for a better fit?

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Great review barajo! Are you planning on upgrading the shafts for a better fit?

Most likely - not sure when or to what type of shaft. We'll have to see how Fort Knox makes it through the rest of the summer once we pay college tuition. Would like to try some KBS shafts...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Most likely - not sure when or to what type of shaft. We'll have to see how Fort Knox makes it through the rest of the summer once we pay college tuition. Would like to try some KBS shafts...

Nice job! Way to set the bar for the newbie coming up next(thanks). I have to say I agree with a lot of what you said. I hope the readers do not think a plagiarized some of your review for my own. I might steal the idea of thinking of past girls while on the course though. I tend to just curse alot, so your way might work better for me.

Great review barbajo! Surprised about the distance. But yeah, it's gotta be the shafts.

The last two times I've been out, I have played horribly. It's got me looking at more forgiving clubs. But I figured out what I was doing wrong and started flushing my shots again. Hard to give up the sweet feel of a flushed shot with nice forged clubs. But then again, when I'm off, it's punishing. Maybe I should keep looking huh?

Anyway, great job!

Great job SMRT! Can't wait to hear what they are like after you get shafts that fit you

Great job SMRT! Can't wait to hear what they are like after you get shafts that fit you

Thank you, I can't wait for the grips to arrive so I can put these clubs to a real test. I will update the results as soon as they arrive.

Nice work SMRT, and I think you will like them a lot more with different shafts, I know I did!! Just make sure you hit the range first because I have a feeling you will be picking up A LOT of distance :)

Nice work SMRT, and I think you will like them a lot more with different shafts, I know I did!! Just make sure you hit the range first because I have a feeling you will be picking up A LOT of distance :)

Thanks, that is the plan and the hope!

Great job SMRT! You have me inspired to get off my hindquarters and look for new shafts. Well done, lad!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great job SMRT! You have me inspired to get off my hindquarters and look for new shafts. Well done, lad!

Thank you. I am hoping to get out tomorrow and swing the reloaded version on the range. I will post my results as soon as I get done.

Just finished typing up my rough draft of the review. I feel like I'm back in college typing a term paper the night before it's due!!

My review is up!! Let me know if anyone has questions or wants to know more info.

hckymeyer's Review

My review is up!! Let me know if anyone has questions or wants to know more info.

hckymeyer's Review

Nice Job! I like the PURE choice of grips. I ordered the same color in the Midsize Wraps.

I was a little surprised that a great player like yourself was having the same issues as a newbie like me. It does make me feel a little better about my game though. Also, makes me more confident that these clubs will help my game now that I switched the shafts out. I have been rained out since I re-shafted mine so I am excited to see what happens when I finally hit the range.

Nice Job! I like the PURE choice of grips. I ordered the same color in the Midsize Wraps.

I was a little surprised that a great player like yourself was having the same issues as a newbie like me. It does make me feel a little better about my game though. Also, makes me more confident that these clubs will help my game now that I switched the shafts out. I have been rained out since I re-shafted mine so I am excited to see what happens when I finally hit the range.

Ha ha...I think that's the first time I've ever been called a great player! Come join me for a round and you won't think that any more :)

Hope you get a chance to test our your new shafts soon, let us know how it goes.

Great job hckymeyer. Any plans at all to go back to the cmbs?

Great job hckymeyer. Any plans at all to go back to the cmbs?

Not any time soon. I'm having too much fun with these. I'm finally getting my distances dialed in and they are much more forgiving. Don't get me wrong, I have no plans to get rid of the CMB's, but like I said in the review when someone hands you longer and straighter you take it and don't look back.

Outstanding review hckymeyer! Gonna have to reshaft mine as well...maybe those KBS CLT's?

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

A quick update on the shaft swap. I was able to discuss the shaft swap with a local teaching pro and he said that he had an old set of shafts that might be workable with some slight modification. It was an old set of Brunswick FCM 6.5's and I hard stepped them 2x to help stiffen them up and bring my ball flight down. So far I left them 2" shorter than they originally came from Cobra (1.5" shorter than my ISI-K's). Since distance has never been a problem for me I was hoping the shorter length would help with consistency. Today was my first range session and I was right about everything except the 4 and 5 iron. I still could not hit the 4 and 5 irons consistently enough to know what they will do yet.

My distances are now back to what they were with my old ISI-K's, so I was hitting my Cobra Amp Cell 9 iron 140-150, and my 6 iron was back to 190-200. My misses are still right but that is my swing. These Amp Cell's with this new combo is so much more forgiving and consistent than my ISI-K's that I am excited to get them out on the course now.

I will update with pictures as soon as I get them out for a couple of rounds on the course.

Don't know if I missed it or not.

Has anyone tested or hit these new Cobra AMP irons with the graphite shafts and their opinion?

Let us all know when you can. I really like the looks of these clubs but am not a big fan of the jacked up lofts, but might be persuaded Or back to square one and see about the Adams cb3 with graphite stiff shafts.

Thanks

Don't know if I missed it or not.

Has anyone tested or hit these new Cobra AMP irons with the graphite shafts and their opinion?

Let us all know when you can. I really like the looks of these clubs but am not a big fan of the jacked up lofts, but might be persuaded Or back to square one and see about the Adams cb3 with graphite stiff shafts.

Thanks

Highlander got them with graphite, his review is coming up soon. I wouldn't be too discouraged by jacked up lofts though. I was nervous as well, but after playing with them I didn't have any yardage gap issues and it's just more fun when someone asks what you hit and you get to tell them 9i when they were hitting 8i or even 7i :)

Cobra Amp Cell Irons –Official MGS Forum Review by barbajo

Sorry for the delayed reply mate. I have been out for a while. I was able to check in and read your review but unable to post. I went to the Texas State Police Pistol Combat Matches (made the Governor's Top Twenty and won 1 - 1st, 2 - 2nd, and 1 - 3rd place matches. Then I had to attend a couple of Firearms Instructor courses and of course I had to play golf three times a week.

Your review is stellar. I can't believe you set the bar so high again. My review will be ready on Monday and I must say after reading yours I'm a little apprehensive.

Once again great job!

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: Wilson Staff D-100 hybrid 3 16°, Matrix OZIK Altus 5.6: 60 gram

Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°

Irons: Wilson Staff D-100 4-Pw. Gw, Sw, Matrix Studio 6.1 Graphite: 65 gram

Wedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW with set of D-100’s

Putter: Current Hippo Attacker 1 Switching to: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)

Ball: Wilson Staff DUO/Z-Star/FG Tour

Bag: Bag Boy - Revolver

Backup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shafts

Whatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!What’s in the bag:Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaftFairway: Cobra AMP Cell 3-4 HYB: 4 plus = 21°, 4 plus Draw = 21° Draw, 4 = 22° *Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Irons 5- Sw, MRC Graphite ShaftWedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW in AMP Cell setPutter: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)Ball: Titlest VelocityBag: Bag Boy - RevolverBackup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shaftsWhatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!

Archived