Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cobra Amp Cell Irons Forum Member Reviews!

GolfSpy WD

As a small rant, Nidine's review was the one I was most interested in to show to girls that golf is fun.

Agreed, hopefully they dont take too much longer to get there

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck, if you liked the graphite I doubt the steel will work as well. I could feel to much on bad hits with them for my old bones. The swing speed is the best factor to apply to the equation. Also before you buy try them out for about 70 - 100 balls and see how you feel after that. Once I hit 70 with the steel I knew the kid was right graphite were the ones for me.

Highlander, I am sure you are right. I really liked the feel of the graphite shafts. But...... I will try the steel just to be sure, lol.

Great review Highlander, sounds like the graphite shafts were a winner for you! Great to hear.

Thank you my friend from Kiwi land. They are awesome! I hope I can get the missing clubs cheap. I have already sold three sets for cobra just by talking them up and letting them try the clubs out.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: Wilson Staff D-100 hybrid 3 16°, Matrix OZIK Altus 5.6: 60 gram

Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°

Irons: Wilson Staff D-100 4-Pw. Gw, Sw, Matrix Studio 6.1 Graphite: 65 gram

Wedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW with set of D-100’s

Putter: Current Hippo Attacker 1 Switching to: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)

Ball: Wilson Staff DUO/Z-Star/FG Tour

Bag: Bag Boy - Revolver

Backup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shafts

Whatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!What’s in the bag:Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaftFairway: Cobra AMP Cell 3-4 HYB: 4 plus = 21°, 4 plus Draw = 21° Draw, 4 = 22° *Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Irons 5- Sw, MRC Graphite ShaftWedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW in AMP Cell setPutter: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)Ball: Titlest VelocityBag: Bag Boy - RevolverBackup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shaftsWhatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!

Highlander, I am sure you are right. I really liked the feel of the graphite shafts. But...... I will try the steel just to be sure, lol.

good plan, the kids that fitted me both times (I like to be sure)said my swing speed with the 7i was best suited for the graphite. Of course I already know that from the feel and results I got on the machine. Good luck to you sir. Let us know how it goes.

P.S. with the fitting I discovered that a change of 2° was recommended. That is the first time I heard that so I did it and it does make a difference.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Wedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW with set of D-100’s

Putter: Current Hippo Attacker 1 Switching to: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)

Backup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shafts

Whatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!What’s in the bag:Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaftFairway: Cobra AMP Cell 3-4 HYB: 4 plus = 21°, 4 plus Draw = 21° Draw, 4 = 22° *Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Irons 5- Sw, MRC Graphite ShaftWedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW in AMP Cell setPutter: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)Ball: Titlest VelocityBag: Bag Boy - RevolverBackup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shaftsWhatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!

Thank you my brother. Any chance you can make the MGS Texas Open?

Wish I could - but duty calls on the home front. Will be there in spirit!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Cobra Amp Cell Irons – Official MGS Forum Review by Highlander

Nice job. I was glad to see someone try the graphite shafts. I almost did the same but the guys that know more about golf than I do said it would be a horrible idea for me. It sounds like they worked really well for you. Keep up the good golf!

Wish I could - but duty calls on the home front. Will be there in spirit!

This is disheartening news. I was hoping for a gathering of the kindred spirits that love the good spirits and can spin a tale. Maybe next year when we have it in San Antonio.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Nice job. I was glad to see someone try the graphite shafts. I almost did the same but the guys that know more about golf than I do said it would be a horrible idea for me. It sounds like they worked really well for you. Keep up the good golf!

Thanks mate, you gotta go with what fits you.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

WHATS IN THE SECOND BOX !!!!!!! :)

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Great unboxing but to quote the movie se7en WHATS IN THE BOX!!!! :lol:

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Holy crap, they actually came!!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Very nice! Those pretty pinks should suit you well.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

ARGH! Cliffhanger!

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I can't be the only one thinking about a particular SNL skit with Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg with all this "What's in the box" talk going on...

I can't be the only one thinking about a particular SNL skit with Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg with all this "What's in the box" talk going on...

Let us hope that is not what is in the box :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

An update to my review...

Since the review, I have been playing my Mizuno MP-59's almost exclusively. As mentioned in the review, the feel of the Cobras, while very good, just isn't the same as the 59's. The nice little click feel with the Mizzy's is downright addictive!

The single biggest thing I've noticed since the review is that after a month of practice and play with the game-improvement Cobras and then switching back to the Mizzy's is that my ball striking is much improved. I mean by a lot. My conclusion is that a month + of using game improvement clubs did just that - it improved game.

I was planning on making the Cobras my travel clubs, but I've been hitting the Mizzy's so well that that plan is on hold for now. My 17 year old son has all of a sudden showed an interest in playing (with his buddies, not his Dad!), and he's been using the Cobras - he really likes them. In the meantime I have purchased a set of PX 5.5 shafts and plan to reshaft the Cobras when I get the chance. That is, unless the boy really takes to golf, then I may leave them as is...

None of this takes away from the fact that I think the Cobras are excellent clubs and who knows, if the swing goes on vacation over the coming months they may very well get back into the rotation...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

An update to my review...

Since the review, I have been playing my Mizuno MP-59's almost exclusively. As mentioned in the review, the feel of the Cobras, while very good, just isn't the same as the 59's. The nice little click feel with the Mizzy's is downright addictive!

The single biggest thing I've noticed since the review is that after a month of practice and play with the game-improvement Cobras and then switching back to the Mizzy's is that my ball striking is much improved. I mean by a lot. My conclusion is that a month + of using game improvement clubs did just that - it improved game.

I was planning on making the Cobras my travel clubs, but I've been hitting the Mizzy's so well that that plan is on hold for now. My 17 year old son has all of a sudden showed an interest in playing (with his buddies, not his Dad!), and he's been using the Cobras - he really likes them. In the meantime I have purchased a set of PX 5.5 shafts and plan to reshaft the Cobras when I get the chance. That is, unless the boy really takes to golf, then I may leave them as is...

None of this takes away from the fact that I think the Cobras are excellent clubs and who knows, if the swing goes on vacation over the coming months they may very well get back into the rotation...

That is pretty cool that they improved your game like that. I was wondering how the better players involved with this would react. I almost thought it could have gone the other direction just as fast. If the Cobra's are more forgiving than your MP-59's, you could have gotten lazy with your swing and rely on the clubs design to compensate. It is good to hear that did not happen.

I would say the Cobra's should be perfect for your son getting started with. I know my golf confidence would have been higher much faster if I would have started with a set of irons like this.

I would say the Cobra's should be perfect for your son getting started with. I know my golf confidence would have been higher much faster if I would have started with a set of irons like this.

His first time out was when I was out of town - he used my 59's and couldn't hit a thing. Told him to take the Cobra's next time and he said he hit them much better.

He also grabbed a box of balls out of my stash for that first time out -- nice new box of ProV1x's. He lost 11 of the 12 over 9 holes.

He now knows where the shag bag is....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'll give a quick little update as well, thanks for the reminder.

I'm still sticking with the Amp Cell's over the Adams CMB's right now. Shot my best round of the year on Wednesday this week. I had 3 kick in birdies with approach shots and then yesterday I lipped out on 18 from 146 yds. That's not to say it's all been gravy, but my ball striking has been much better and I feel much more confident standing over the ball with these clubs. At this point it would take a pretty horrendous stretch of golf to get me to switch back.

These have to be some of best member reviews I have read on MGS and the photos are equally as good.

Well done to everyone.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

These have to be some of best member reviews I have read on MGS and the photos are equally as good.

Well done to everyone.

AJ

Thank you very much AJ! It was an incredibly enjoyable experience!

As for the Cobras... They still aren't the gamers for me. I continuously find myself amazed at the relative forgiveness of my Wilsons, so I can't justify the work necessary in refiguring my yardages and gaps to switch back to the AMP Cells. I'm biased, but had I gotten the AMP Cells a year and a half ago, I would have reshafted them and been on my way. They're a great club with a mediocre shaft... Thankfully it's not the other way around! Again, this has been a really excellent experience and opportunities like this really solidify MGS as an incredibly exceptional organization. Class from top to bottom!

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Update for SMRT with the Cobra Amp Cell Irons

At the beginning of this review process my goal for the year was to shoot consistently in the 90's. I had broken 100 only a couple of times last year and was hoping to continue that trend. Now that I have re-shafted the clubs with a heavier, stiffer shaft these things flat perform. The first time out with the new shafts I shot a career low 95! I had a couple of weeks of some poor rounds but yesterday stepped up and shot a 90! It was awesome! I am still having trouble hitting the long irons but that is my lack of experience. The short and mid-irons have been spot on for me. I have a couple of golf weekends coming up in September so let's see if I can get into the 80's before the season is over.

I cannot thank MyGolfSpy and Cobra enough for this opportunity.

Archived