TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cobra Amp Cell Irons Forum Member Reviews!

GolfSpy WD

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work SMRT, glad the reshaft is working out for you!!

I've shot my two lowest rounds of the year in the past week with the Amp Cells and I see no reason to take them out of the bag.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Update for SMRT with the Cobra Amp Cell Irons

At the beginning of this review process my goal for the year was to shoot consistently in the 90's. I had broken 100 only a couple of times last year and was hoping to continue that trend. Now that I have re-shafted the clubs with a heavier, stiffer shaft these things flat perform. The first time out with the new shafts I shot a career low 95! I had a couple of weeks of some poor rounds but yesterday stepped up and shot a 90! It was awesome! I am still having trouble hitting the long irons but that is my lack of experience. The short and mid-irons have been spot on for me. I have a couple of golf weekends coming up in September so let's see if I can get into the 80's before the season is over.

I cannot thank MyGolfSpy and Cobra enough for this opportunity.

Congrats SMRT! What did you put in?

SMRT: Great going! The new Cobras must be indeed working good. After reading these reviews I'm saving my money also for a set with graphite. Continued Good luck!

Thanks, they really do perform great when they are loaded with the correct shaft. For the price they will be hard to beat!

Congrats SMRT! What did you put in?

They are an old set of FCM 6.5's? A friend of mine that used to be a teaching pro had them sitting in his basement and thought they would be a good fit if we hard stepped them. He was correct!

• 2 weeks later...

Great job Nidine! I'm glad they finally made it to your bag.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Product Name – Official MGS Forum Review by Mrs. Manbearpig

Nice job! I am glad to hear I am not the only one in the group here that cannot hit the long irons in this set? Even after I re-shafted them I am having problems. It is probably more of a swing thing for me than the club but I have not figured them out yet. How id the new driver work out?

DSC06773a.jpg

INTRO

When I first started to get into the game of golf, there was the appeal of shiny new toys and pretty scenery….like Camillo Villegas. I don't think he's sponsored by Cobra anymore but my path with this sport had a little motivation from a fit Brazilian with the move named after one of my phobias.

Great review and I am glad you finally got them. But Camillo Villegas is from Columbia not Brazil.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Thanks guys! It was a long time coming but I'm just glad I was able to deliver a female perspective.

Rick - I didn't say I was perfect, once in a blue moon I have a brain fart (especially when it's late and you're really trying to finish the review). But yes you are correct my less than 6% body fat, spider-man is from Columbia....geez! :rolleyes: lol

Nice job! I am glad to hear I am not the only one in the group here that cannot hit the long irons in this set? Even after I re-shafted them I am having problems. It is probably more of a swing thing for me than the club but I have not figured them out yet. How id the new driver work out?

Hey SMRT, I can't entirely blame the clubs but something went amiss when I started hitting them. As for the driver.... the review is coming. B)

First off, Excellent review!!

It was a Great write-up!!

Secondly, Major Hat's Off on the scores!!

That's fantastic!!

And there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be in the 80s. You've got the swing. Play your ass off, Putt your ass off and visualize the your swing when you pipe a drive or crack an approach stiff. You've got the swing. Now ya have to harness it and control it instead of letting it control you.

It starts upstairs Bro!

Again, Hat's Off for an excellent review :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Nice work Nidine, glad the sticks are working out for you!

I think that makes 4 out 6 reviewers that are still using these as our main set of clubs, not too shabby for a bunch of club ho's :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I think that makes 4 out 6 reviewers that are still using these as our main set of clubs, not too shabby for a bunch of club ho's :)

That is a great point! That might be the best sales tool that Cobra could take away from this. They should be happy with those results.

Might be ready to put mine back in the bag -- hitting a horrendous ball striking slump! The Amp Cells are just the ticket to make it go away...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Mrs MBP, I know I am just a wee bit late on this. Sorry, I have had some issues to contend with. Fantastic review! I love the pics too.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: Wilson Staff D-100 hybrid 3 16°, Matrix OZIK Altus 5.6: 60 gram

Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°

Irons: Wilson Staff D-100 4-Pw. Gw, Sw, Matrix Studio 6.1 Graphite: 65 gram

Wedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW with set of D-100’s

Putter: Current Hippo Attacker 1 Switching to: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)

Ball: Wilson Staff DUO/Z-Star/FG Tour

Bag: Bag Boy - Revolver

Backup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shafts

Whatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!What’s in the bag:Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaftFairway: Cobra AMP Cell 3-4 HYB: 4 plus = 21°, 4 plus Draw = 21° Draw, 4 = 22° *Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Irons 5- Sw, MRC Graphite ShaftWedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW in AMP Cell setPutter: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)Ball: Titlest VelocityBag: Bag Boy - RevolverBackup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shaftsWhatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!

I wanted to add another update on how these irons continue to perform and impress. I have really been working on my swing and trying to be more consistent with shot shape and distance. I have actually been able to draw the ball with the short and mid irons of this set. It has been a lot of fun watching my game evolve since I have gotten this opportunity. These clubs are solid so as long as I can put a good swing on them, they will do the rest.

I still have not had much luck with the 4 and 5 iron but I will keeping working on it.

Thanks again to mygolfspy.com and Cobra for this great opportunity!

• 3 weeks later...

I have looking for a replacement set of irons for my 1978 WIlson Staff blades. At age 64, and a tender back, they were a little too hard to hit, lol. After reading the reviews here, I just got myself a new set of Cobra Amp Cell irons, grpahite shafts, stiff flex, 4-gw.

First impressions on hitting them was simply WOW!. About a club a half longer (half club when adjusting for the stronger lofts). But the ease of the swing was what was really nice. Felt like I was barely swinging them. Ball flight was high with a slight draw. Very predictable throughout the set. Some difficulty with the 4 and 5 iron as some others have expereinced. But after a brief rest on a hot day and a few sips of cold beer, a little lighter grip and both were flying high with a slight draw. The feel of these irons was much better than I expected. If I can keep my tempo and not overswing, these irons I believe will perform well.

Time will tell. And the distances will take some adjustments.

But thanks to the reviewers here, I never would have considered these irons without all of your excellent reviews. Thanks

I have looking for a replacement set of irons for my 1978 WIlson Staff blades. At age 64, and a tender back, they were a little too hard to hit, lol. After reading the reviews here, I just got myself a new set of Cobra Amp Cell irons, grpahite shafts, stiff flex, 4-gw.

First impressions on hitting them was simply WOW!. About a club a half longer (half club when adjusting for the stronger lofts). But the ease of the swing was what was really nice. Felt like I was barely swinging them. Ball flight was high with a slight draw. Very predictable throughout the set. Some difficulty with the 4 and 5 iron as some others have expereinced. But after a brief rest on a hot day and a few sips of cold beer, a little lighter grip and both were flying high with a slight draw. The feel of these irons was much better than I expected. If I can keep my tempo and not overswing, these irons I believe will perform well.

But thanks to the reviewers here, I never would have considered these irons without all of your excellent reviews. Thanks

That is awesome. I was just about to post another update and you said it exactly like I had planned.  "If I can keep my tempo and not overswing, these irons I believe will perform well." I have learned this over the past couple of months and I can now hit the 4 and 5 irons much better. If I miss my target it is always because I get short and fast. This is probably typical of most clubs but at this price the Cobra Amp Cells are hard to beat!

That's excellent news! I'm glad we could help you out!

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Archived