TESTERS WANTED! ×

Overlap vs Interlocking Grip

HighFade

Anyone have an opinion about the different grips? I've always been an overlap guy, but I recently heard the interlock helps avoid a hook - which has been my miss lately.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I have always interlocked, and my bad miss is the ole snap hook. As far as I'm concerned it's more about the swing then the grip.

But golf is a game of what works right now, so if an interlock grip helps at the moment, by all means use it.

Driver: Ping G25 9.5° TFC Tour X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Whiteout/Red

Fairway Wood: 3w Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 13° Aldila RIP X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Black/Red

Hybrid: 3h Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 19° Aldila RIP X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Black/Red

Irons: Cobra Amp Cell Pro's 4i-PW KBS C-Taper X-stiff + 1/2" w/New Decade Multicompound Whiteout/Black

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4's 50°, 54°, 58° DG S300's +1/2" w/New Decade Multicompound Whitout/Black

Putter: Nike Method 001 34" w/SuperStroke Mid-Slim White/Red

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

In all my golfing life I've only met one golfer who interlocked. He said he needed to use that grip because he had small hands with short fingers. Regardless of his reasons, the man played better golf than I did during the time we played together. I experimented with it a very short while but did not like the pain that came with my swing errors. I've stayed with the Vardon since.

Shambles

See your teacher before fooling with your grip - its way, way too important.

I have used both of those grips in my lifetime - when I was young and coming off of playing lots of baseball I used the interlocking grip (it was also what Nicklaus used) - I switched to the vardon grip when I changed my swing - If I need a big drive I will actually use 10 fingered grip but I can't do that too often or the hooks will sneak in - its good for when I really need a big one though.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Its really all personal preference. Ive never seen any evidence that shows any grip is any better than any other grip.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• SPY VIP

I've played both. Interlock when I was young and somewhere around 20 I transitioned to the overlap. Well part of the transition was on account of breaking the bone in my right hand behind the pinky knuckle (called boxers break). This healed at 90* angle inverting my knuckle and it was just easier resting my finger on top.

My point? No clue, I think it just comes down to personal comfort.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Thanks for all the great input, guys! I think I'll just stick with the overlap. It's just more natural for me. Plus, I don't have an instructor.....Always been self-taught. Had a few pros give me help along the way, but I think I've had no more than 3 lessons in my life. And they messed me up more than helped.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I've always used the 10 finger. I feel extremely uncomfortable and disconnected with interlocking or overlap. I do prefer overlap over interlock though.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Personally I use what ever is comfortable. Have you read the little red book by Harvey Penick he has a very good chapter on his philosophy on the golf grip.

My Bag

Driver Diablo Edge

Fairway Nickent DX 3 and 5

Hybrid Nickent DT 3 and 4 hybrid

Iron VR Pro Combo5-pw

Wedge Adams Idea Pro 60 and 56

Putter STX X-Form 1

When I was younger I used the interlock grip because my dad who was a pro used the interlock grip. He did have small hands. My dad and myself could not get along well especially on golf matters. He had a friend of his Named James Black who played the tour some work with me . The first thing James done was change me to the overlap grip because even then sub consciously I was automatically moving the club around on the downstroke to get it in the slot. He told the old man that that was a natural move for me and using that grip would help me. James never tried to change me. Today you can see some James Black videos on u tube he is in his 70s and still teaching. Sorry to ramble but in a nutshell use the grip that you feel confortable with because no one can hit a golf ball well if they have tension in their hands

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 5 years later...

Are there actually any benefits of one grip over the other? I like to play a baby draw and I currently use the overlap grip but here lately all I am hitting are fades. Would changing to the interlocking grip benefit me any?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm a ten finger grip guy. I can do both overlap and interlock. But I just prefer the feeling of the ten finger grip. None of the grips seem to significantly influence the typical ball flight. However, it is super hard to give the other grips the time they need to feel natural.

I never felt comfortable with overlap and have used interlocking since I moved on from the 10 finger grip.

I'm with rev and don't make any changes without talking/working with a pro. It's the first thing I check when I starting spraying the ball and it's one thing I try to focus on in my Prescott because of how important it is

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I used interlock for a round- nearly broke my fingers ;) back to overlap which has the Goldilocks feeling........just right!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Don't ask me why, because I have no idea, but I use an interlock grip, except for my wedges where I use an overlap grip. Again, I don't know why, it just feels right.

I use interlock for irons and wedges and overlap for my woods. Personally I feel like I get higher swing speed with overlap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I use the ten finger grip. I slice and almost break my fingers with the interlock and hook and the golf club almost slips out of my hands with the overlap. I don't know why but the 10 finger works for me.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Strong interlock grip now, last year before lessons I was more neutral but to help cure the slices the instructor switched me up and it's been great since

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I'm definitely sticking with what feels comfortable and that's the overlapping grip. I noticed the last time I was on the course that my grip was a little weaker than usual. Strengthened the grip back up and what do you know, the baby draw was back instead of the fade.

I started with the interlock the moved to an overlap grip. I like having all 4 fingers from my left hand on the grip with the overlap. I feel like I can generate more power this way. I'm not sure if this is actually the fact or just a mental thing but that how I roll!

Travis Clarke

Archived