Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shaft Testers Wanted - KBS C-Taper Lite

Tony Covey MGS

Your current handicap (or your average 18 hole score)

One (and only one) original photo of something (anything) golf-related

CC381B83-B4D6-457E-A547-241FEE3169B0-31499-00000BAFD074B3D2_zps14e8edbe.jpg

In no more than 2 paragraphs, tell us how you would test the new shafts

I would install them in another set of X Forged irons and compare the results between the C Taper and PXi shafts using a Foresight. I would then play a few rounds with both sets hitting two approach shots on each hole to compare the two shafts.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I am Texastee. Member of several golf and photography forums as either that handle or 2tcreative. I am currently a 4.3 GHIN.

I am 64 years old and have been playing for 40 years. Self taught and adhere to Hogan's work ethic of digging it out of the dirt. I thoroughly enjoy practicing and testing equipment. I do my own repair work such as re-shafting, re-gripping, spining and flo'ing my shafts, so somewhat familiar with equipment design and construction. I currently play the KBS Tour stiff soft stepped once in my Bridgestone j40 cavity backs, and C-taper regulars in my ATV wedges. I did the soft stepping and the shafting of the wedges myself.

An example of the ATV Japanese forged 60* with the C-taper:

IMG_1326.jpg

It seems the C-taper lite would be quite suitable for my swing, especially in my j40 long irons (4, 5 and 6), which I currently have another brand of shaft installed.

Mate, don't let your 'freshness' be a barrier to entering! Its always great to have someone new along and what better way to start contributing than with a big old review and a new set of shafts in your irons! If you're keen on them, fit the criteria, and can commit to doing a decent job of the review then throw your hat in the ring.

All the best

Brad

Thanks Brad. Truth is, I'm not sure how these would suit me. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try anyways.

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

Current handicap: 14, last round was 84, just yesterday. I tend to struggle on new courses that I've never experienced.

I currently play W/S FG Tour V2 irons with KBS Tour Stiff. I've played similar irons with both S300 and PX 6.0 and just really fell for the KBS. Perhaps the new C-Taper Lites will offer a chance to use a slightly lighter shaft in my long irons and make a blended set.

I've been playing golf since I was big enough to follow my dad to the range. Now that I'm in the start of my 30s, I try to give back to my dad what he gave me growing up through golf. I'll buy his set of clubs, regrip and reshaft irons for him, just to get those four hours of pure father-son time with him. I started doing my own club work for fun, and am working on a DIY shaft puller. If given the opportunity to test the C-Taper Lite shafts, I'd easily be able to switch the shafts out on my own without having to wait on a club builder's timeframe. My pic: from my trip to Portland, OR summer 2012. Par 3 into the wind while it was raining. Ball landed inches from the cup on the left and bounced over it and sat inches on the right. Closest I've ever been to an ace.

image.jpg

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

Current handicap: 14, last round was 84, just yesterday. I tend to struggle on new courses that I've never experienced.

I current plat W/S FG Tour V2 irons with KBS Tour Stiff. Ice played similar irons with both S300 and PX 6.0 and just ally fell for the KBS. Perhaps the new C-Taper Lites will offer a chance to use a slightly lighter shaft in my long irons and make a blended set.

I've been playing golf since I was big enough to follow my dad to the range. Now that I'm in the start of my 30s, I try to give back to my dad what he gave me growing up through golf. I'll buy his set of clubs, regrip and reshaft irons for him, just to get those four hours of pure father-son time with him. I started doing my own club work for fun, and am working on a DIY shaft puller. If given the opportunity to test the C-Taper Lite shafts, I'd easily be able to switch the shafts out on my own without having to wait on a club builder's timeframe. My pic: from my trip to Portland, OR summer 2012. Par 3 into the wind while it was raining. Ball landed inches from the cup on the left and bounced over it and sat inches on the right. Closest I've ever been to an ace.

Man, that sucks! But if it makes you feel any better (doubtful), its closer than I've been :lol:

Gents,

I currently am gaming the Mizuno JPX 825's with PX Graphite shafts, which were billed as "mid-launch", but as it turns out, they are very "high-launch" for me....distance robbingly so. The CT LITE shafts could be just the ticket to bring my ball flight down. My other option is I just won a mint set of Ben Hogan Edge CFT's 3 and 4H and 5I-PW, and as I require +1.5" in length and these BH's are stock, I could put the CT Lite's in this set of classics. Pick me>

Matt W

My handicap is 13.5. These shafts are a perfect fit for me because I was trying to decide between the Tour and the Tour 90 for my next set of irons because I needed a little bit of both. I was fit to a Project Flighted 95 but I felt like it was a tad too light. I produce a mid-high launch with average distance, but would like a bit more spin without raising my ball flight too much. The C-Taper Lite sounds perfect for that. In testing I would go to the Trackman I have access to and compare numbers before and after the new shafts. I would do updates after each round I played about feel, spin, and anything odd or special about them. Also, at my CC we have fitting carts from different manufacturers so I could compare to the Tour 90, Tour, and C-Taper as well as any other brands/ models which members might have questions about to the C-Taper Lite. Thanks for this opportunity!

Here's a pic of a demo iron with a KBS Tour shaft that had good ball flight, but didn't spin enough.

IMG_1590.JPG

ct-lite-bnr2.jpg

The guys at KBS have asked us to round up 3 MyGolfSpy Forum Members to test a set of the latest offering in the KBS lineup; the C-Taper (CT) LITE.

The 3 readers chosen by the MyGolfSpy Staff will receive their very own set of KBS CT LITE shafts. Those same 3 readers will be asked to provide other MyGolfSpy readers with a comprehensive review of the shafts. Thorough is what we do, and we ask the same of our readers. Please don't apply if you're not willing to do the work.

About the C-Taper LITE

The C-TAPER LITE iron shaft incorporates proven KBS performance benefits – piercing trajectory and smooth feel – in a lighter-weight design. The firm tip and stiff butt sections produce a mid-high trajectory and controlled spin. Featuring a constant taper design and proportionate increase in wall thickness, the C-TAPER LITE maximizes energy transfer for maximum distance. As a result, an average of 5 yards increased distance was seen during robot testing. The C-TAPER LITE comes with the signature KBS brushed satin finish available in three flexes: R-105g, S-110g, and X-115g.

KBS tells us the C-Taper should prove to be more playable and will offer a better fit for a wider variety of players, but please don't offer to test unless you're reasonably certain the CT LITE is a good fit for you.

The big question is, does the C-Taper LITE perform as advertised?

It's your job to find out.

Requirements:

Must be a resident of the US or Canada

Must be a MyGolfSpy Forum Member in good standing

Must be able to string sentences together in a coherent fashion (wit and humor are a bonus)

Must be capable of producing quality photos of golf equipment

Must have willingness, time, and ability to thoroughly test a set of KBS C-Taper LITEe Shafts.

How To Enter

Check out the C-Taper LITE Shafts on the KBS Website. If you think the new shafts will help your game, enter to become a MyGolfSpy Club Tester.

To enter, leave a comment in this thread that contains the following:

Your current handicap (or your average 18 hole score)

One (and only one) original photo of something (anything) golf-related

In no more than 2 paragraphs, tell us how you would test the new shafts

Scotch aka Scott

Titleist 917 D2 Driver

Titleist 816H1 23°

Titleist 716 T-MB 2-9

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 48°

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 54°

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 60°

Scotty Cameron MIL-SPEC H16 5MB

Titleist Staff Stand Bag

Titleist Pro V1

Hi KBS Team, thank you for coming to My Golf Spy for user testing.

Currently a 11 Handicap, ex competitive junior golfer and high school golfer. I work as a part time bartender at a private country club and I am exposed to avid golfers opinions and stories about golf on a daily basis. Furthermore, I am a trained as a designer in both interior architecture and industrial design; therefore, having the ability to analysis and critique design and products objectively and thoroughly. I also have a goal to play 50 rounds this summer and I have completed 16 rounds so far. My current irons are 3 month's old Titleist AP2's 4-9 (6 irons) + Vokey SM4 47 51 55 59 (4 wedges). When I had them custom fitted through a PGA teaching professional he advised me to not get KBS shafts because I was ballooning them. I would like to give them another shot and see if it will lower my scores and consistency! Cheers...

ww_sub_wow.jpg

Scotch aka Scott

Titleist 917 D2 Driver

Titleist 816H1 23°

Titleist 716 T-MB 2-9

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 48°

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 54°

Titleist Vokey SM6 Steele 60°

Scotty Cameron MIL-SPEC H16 5MB

Titleist Staff Stand Bag

Titleist Pro V1

When is the deadline to respond to this? I might not be able to post a photo for a couple of days. Thanks!

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Good luck to all entering and to the testers selected,lots of pictures are what we like. I play heavier iron shafts so they're not for me.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

competed in our club championship this weekend scores 78/74 finished 3rd senior division. I am 58 hdcp index 7.9 . Play 4-5 times per week ,playing adams speedline this week but i have mizz mx 23, mizz mx20, adams cb3, ect . also i do all of my own club work over 30 years . Thanks Ronnie

My current handicap is 11

I've finally grooved my swing to where it is consistent on and off of the range making it useful for me to have high quality shafts on my clubs. . First I'd go to the range obviously and figure out how the new shafts affect my ball flight and distance. Then taking what I've learned and confidence from major winning shafts I'd go out to the course and shoot my lowest score ever!

The picture (don't know how to resize it) was from a 3 day workshop in Florida where Luke Donald did a short game demonstration for us and afterwards we got to go have drinks with him. Very good times and great guy

image.jpg

Hi Everyone. I haven't been posting often these past couple of months due to Little League coaching commitments, but I've been an active reader of the site just about daily (who am I kidding - multiple times/day!). An 8-10 handicap, I currently play Wilson FG Tour V2 irons, 5 - AW in KBS Tour Stiff. I recently moved into an X-stiff driver shaft (GD Tour AD) and my driving has improved substantially. I have always gravitated towards heavier iron shafts, simply because most lighter shafts are just too flexible regardless of the stated flex. So I believe the KBS C-Taper LITE in a X-flex (soft stepped, or hard stepped S-flex) would be a great fit for my game. These will transition nicely from the 85g hybrid shafts I use. Since they are a little lighter than the KBS Tour, they will help me get through the round without tiring too much. Based on what I read on the website, I would expect to see a similar trajectory but with perhaps a bit more carry and more control. This is especially what I am looking for – more control.

Over the summer and into early fall I have an excellent opportunity to test these shafts. I have access to a grass driving range only 3 miles from my house, and I intend to go to the range at least 3x a week. I also intend on playing a minimum of 4 rounds/month, plus mini-rounds with my twin boys. I will definitely put these shafts through a thorough test, and will post my thoughts/observations often and respond to questions/comments from readers multiple times daily.

I hope you all enjoy this picture. This is a 170 yard Par 3 with a good 40 foot drop from tee to green. I hit a 9 iron pin high right – right onto the wrong shelf. A cool 3 putt later I walked off with a bogey.

9141888753_bd901a1763_c.jpg

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Congratulations to RoverRick, Txstcatman, and ms1195, you have been selected for reviewing the KBS C Taper Lite shafts!

To everyone else who applied, seriously it was a tough decision and some were only not chosen because there were only 3 sets to send out for reviews. I'm sure T is working on more of these opportunities, so keep coming back. In the meantime, join us on the forums!

This is a great opportunity - enjoy!!!!!!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for the opportunity. I'm looking forward to getting these installed and getting the review started! I am very curious to see how my first set of KBS stand up against the DG and project x I've always played.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

• SPY VIP

Congratulations to RoverRick, Txstcatman, and ms1195, you have been selected for reviewing the KBS C Taper Lite shafts!

To everyone else who applied, seriously it was a tough decision and some were only not chosen because there were only 3 sets to send out for reviews. I'm sure T is working on more of these opportunities, so keep coming back. In the meantime, join us on the forums!

Ya congrats guys

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Congrats! Can't wait to hear the reviews!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Congrats! If any of you have played PXi's, I would like to hear how they compare. I really like the Tours and have PXi's to try at the moment. Just curious if the CT lites have a similar feel and ball flight or not.

Congrats guys

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Congrats peeps selected...

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Congrats everyone. I'm interested to hear how these differ from the KBS Tour shafts.

Thanks for this awesome opportunity MGS and KBS! I'm excited to try these out and look forward to providing feedback for the community to use in the future!

Congrats to those selected!

I have the PXi and came from C-Taper and will look forward to the reviews of the CT Lites to decide if its worth the switch back to CT.

Hey Rick...let me know if they don't fit your game!!!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Thanks for the opportunity to test these. I am very excited about this. BK, I will keep you in mind but I think I am going to have a couple of sets of KBS Tours for sell.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Congrats, looking forward to the reviews, since I seem to have "outgrown" my "A flex" shafts this summer I've started researching shafts and plan to work with a friend that's setup for club building to be doing some testing of my own.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived