Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My championship I'm playing for this week comes down to a battle of the 2 most widely popular draft theories.

2 stud RB theory vs the 2 stud WR theory. Let's get it

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Congrats Jeff. GolfSpy MBP and I are working on your headcover as we speak!

I'm going to put your MGS name, Team name and your name with your season record as well. Should look good!

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Zach, he finished the season at 10-4 total, as those records on that page are regular season only, not including playoffs (he had a first round bye or it'd be 11-4).

In The Bag

My hope is that next season (yes, I'm planning for next season already) we can fill the league with ALL MGS members.  It was a fun and sometimes chaotic season for all involved, I'm certain.  That said, glad we played, as it spiced up my otherwise lackluster football season (Dawgs and Falcons didn't meet expectations as we were decimated by injuries on both squads).

In The Bag

Zach, he finished the season at 10-4 total, as those records on that page are regular season only, not including playoffs (he had a first round bye or it'd be 11-4).

Good call! Was about to run 8-4. 

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

My hope is that next season (yes, I'm planning for next season already) we can fill the league with ALL MGS members.  It was a fun and sometimes chaotic season for all involved, I'm certain.  That said, glad we played, as it spiced up my otherwise lackluster football season (Dawgs and Falcons didn't meet expectations as we were decimated by injuries on both squads).

My mom is a diehard dawgs fan. Sad year, but glad Murray is gone. 

I'm going to put your MGS name, Team name and your name with your season record as well. Should look good!

Wow, that's great!  Didn't know that was part of the spoils!  Thanks Zach and MBP!

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Definitely would like to go over the rules for next year. Personally I wasn't a huge fan of IDP and would favor a league with multiple QBs and/or multiple of another one of the lesser valued positions to create scarcity and promote trades.

Other ideas:

* Wednesday and Saturday nights as waiver pickup days instead of Thursday and Sunday morning. It did happen where I wasn't available Sunday morning and didn't fix my lineup

* Use auction format for the waiver wire. In my other league we have $500 each. If you want someone off waivers, you have to bid how much you're willing to pay. The highest bid gets the player and pays however much the bid was for. This makes waiver acquisitions much more strategic, especially when you're low on cash.

* Simplify the points. I like the idea of bonus points, but I also like just quickly seeing the stats and being able to calculate in my head how many points a player has.

My championship I'm playing for this week comes down to a battle of the 2 most widely popular draft theories.

2 stud RB theory vs the 2 stud WR theory. Let's get it

I obviously didn't subscribe to the RB theory.  The VBD worked really well for me (value based drafting).  Calvin, Julio and Graham were great and consistent horses (until Julio went down).  The running backs I played this season were:

Pierre Thomas (doesn't start for his team)

Joique Bell (doesn't start)

Shane Vareen (only played one game before breaking his wrist)

Peyton Hillis (Sunday morning waiver pickup--two games)

Brandon Jacobs (Sunday morning waiver pickup- 1 game)

Rashad Jennings (one game, didn't start)

Jonathan Stewart (two games, didn't start)

Bobby Rainey (nice late season pickup, got me some points)

Daniel Thomas (for some reason, I picked him up and started him in the finals--didn't start for Miami and got me only 7 pts)

Scary RB stable.  But somehow I still managed to have most cumulative points.  And by ignoring RBs in the draft, I had the #1 and #2 WRs (till Julio went down), #1 TE, #1 Kicker (for most of the season), #1 and #2 LBs (till Sean Lee went down) and #1 CB (for most of the season) and #4 QB (till Julio went down).  

Probably take the same approach next year.  PS, not trying to brag, this is mostly me doing the season recap analysis and trying to validate the VDP approach.  

Definitely would like to go over the rules for next year. Personally I wasn't a huge fan of IDP and would favor a league with multiple QBs and/or multiple of another one of the lesser valued positions to create scarcity and promote trades.

Other ideas:

* Wednesday and Saturday nights as waiver pickup days instead of Thursday and Sunday morning. It did happen where I wasn't available Sunday morning and didn't fix my lineup

* Use auction format for the waiver wire. In my other league we have $500 each. If you want someone off waivers, you have to bid how much you're willing to pay. The highest bid gets the player and pays however much the bid was for. This makes waiver acquisitions much more strategic, especially when you're low on cash.

* Simplify the points. I like the idea of bonus points, but I also like just quickly seeing the stats and being able to calculate in my head how many points a player has.

Concur partially.  Now, I'm biased I admit because my IDPs performed really well for me and were the difference in more than one game.  But its the first time I've done one and made me much more aware of the defensive side of the ball.  So I'd probably vote for IDP.

Agree on the bonus points--it seemed when a player had a really good game, it had a disproportionate affect on the scoring.  And there was sort of a multiplier effect.  Big bonus for long TDs and big bonus for every 100 yds, so its almost like doubling up.  So I'd be in favor of scaling back the bonus points as well.

Agree on the wednesday/saturday thing.

Agree on the waiver thing (biased 'cause I was usually way down the list), but anything for more strategy.

Concur partially. Now, I'm biased I admit because my IDPs performed really well for me and were the difference in more than one game. But its the first time I've done one and made me much more aware of the defensive side of the ball. So I'd probably vote for IDP.

Agree on the bonus points--it seemed when a player had a really good game, it had a disproportionate affect on the scoring. And there was sort of a multiplier effect. Big bonus for long TDs and big bonus for every 100 yds, so its almost like doubling up. So I'd be in favor of scaling back the bonus points as well.

Agree on the wednesday/saturday thing.

Agree on the waiver thing (biased 'cause I was usually way down the list), but anything for more strategy.

I won't play if there's no IDP's. I just prefer IDP leagues. I'm already in 2 recurring leagues without them and that's plenty. The bonuses were quirky as they make it challenging and they reward excellence and great plays. They're kind of the point of bonuses. That and they can balance some of the negatives out. As far as waivers, I like them to process on Wednesday for the first set as well and in the past the 2 day waiver period has processed on Wednesdays. Once we started with it though, unless the majority were to say something about it, I wasn't about to change it. I only had 2 people that said anything during the season about the waivers processing on Thursday so I rolled with it.

In The Bag

I obviously didn't subscribe to the RB theory. The VBD worked really well for me (value based drafting). Calvin, Julio and Graham were great and consistent horses (until Julio went down). The running backs I played this season were:

Pierre Thomas (doesn't start for his team)

Joique Bell (doesn't start)

Shane Vareen (only played one game before breaking his wrist)

Peyton Hillis (Sunday morning waiver pickup--two games)

Brandon Jacobs (Sunday morning waiver pickup- 1 game)

Rashad Jennings (one game, didn't start)

Jonathan Stewart (two games, didn't start)

Bobby Rainey (nice late season pickup, got me some points)

Daniel Thomas (for some reason, I picked him up and started him in the finals--didn't start for Miami and got me only 7 pts)

Scary RB stable. But somehow I still managed to have most cumulative points. And by ignoring RBs in the draft, I had the #1 and #2 WRs (till Julio went down), #1 TE, #1 Kicker (for most of the season), #1 and #2 LBs (till Sean Lee went down) and #1 CB (for most of the season) and #4 QB (till Julio went down).

Probably take the same approach next year. PS, not trying to brag, this is mostly me doing the season recap analysis and trying to validate the VDP approach.

Meh... Had I not brain farted last week my RB's would have carried me to a title. But I tried to make risky but calculated plays in the semis and it backfired. That and I always have to roll with the QB that got me there that I drafted(well that and Philly had been giving up more through the air than Detroit. I'd have benched both if anyone not playing in a snow bowl was available.) playoffs aren't the times for risks and it bit me in the butt. It was my first big lineup gaffe of the season and it ended it. That said I've ridden my RB's to the title game in my other leagues. And the 9 championships in the last 4 years makes it unlikely I'll deviate from that strategy lol. Though I did go IDP earlier in this draft than I ever had.

Leagues this weekend:One is a $170/$100 payout for first and second, my other league is a $600/$300 payout for first and second. Worst case, I'm looking at $400 this weekend and $770 top end. So all in all, my fantasy season hasn't been bad. Especially since I've won a pile on fan duel and fan Throwdown as well.

In The Bag

I've got 3 college bowl Pick Em's if anyone is interested. They're $10 each. One on Yahoo, 2 on ESPN. All are straight-up pick Em's, no lines and no confidence points. Tie break is the National Championship final game

In The Bag

• 4 weeks later...

I received my 'trophy' head cover!!  Thanks again Zach and MBP!  I took a picture, and thought at the same time I could give those of you trapped in lousy winter weather a background glimpse of Florida sunshine off my balcony.

Trophy.jpg

• SPY VIP

I received my 'trophy' head cover!!  Thanks again Zach and MBP!  I took a picture, and thought at the same time I could give those of you trapped in lousy winter weather a background glimpse of Florida sunshine off my balcony.

That looks good! Congrats again!

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I'm thinking we need to make one for the 2014 fantasy golf contest.

Glad you like it and congrats on your fantasy team.

Great job zach! Hopefully next season you can play with us

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived