Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Tee choice when playing with Dad?

Psawmiller

Hey everybody,

I just had a quick question I golf with my dad once a week, and he plays from the senior tee boxes while I usually play a tee box farther back. My father gets embarrassed that he is playing a shorter set. Is there anything wrong with me playing the senior set with him to make him more at ease when we play our weekly round? Would any of you get upset by seeing someone in their late 20's playing the senior tee's? I was just curious as to what you guys think I will most likely keep playing right along side my dad was just wondering if any of you play a shorter set to get a better time with their father.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Paul

I see nothing wrong with moving up. Especially if its to spend time with your dad. It's all about having fun at the end of the day.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I see nothing wrong with moving up. Especially if its to spend time with your dad. It's all about having fun at the end of the day.

+1, also who cares what anybody else thinks.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Savor the moments. My dad died last year so I do not have the opportunity to do so, but if he wanted to play from the 100 yard marker that would be ok with me.

There is a guy and his son who play together twice a month at my club, the play the forward tees one time and the others the next. I have played the forward tees a few times with the seniors on Thursday mornings. It ain't as easy as you think. However, for a senior or anyone with out the distance, it is no fun to play tees where you can not reach.

It sort of pisses me off when guys think that if you do not play the tips, you are being unmanly. To move up a tee to make your playing partner, especially when it is a father or perhaps a child, more comfortable is about as manly as it gets in my opinion.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I would absolutely keep my dad (if I were to have one) , company on his tee box.

Heck, when I play with women, I tee off from the women's tee box =) . I'll drive when I feel like it and I'll hit irons too.

It's all about spending time with a love one.

Having just lost my father to cancer a few months back I agree with the comments above and cherish every moment and play from whatever tees keeps you on the course with him. I still play several rounds a year with my Grandpop that is 86 years old and I play at his club from the very front set of tees with no issue. I tell him that it is just great that I can still spend time with him and I will get a great chance to work on my short game for an entire afternoon.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Can't say anymore than what's been said. Who cares what others think.

My playing partner is 67 and next year, we've decided, he'll be playing from the seniors tee's...I'll probably join him every now and then too.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

When I tell people they should move up a box or two they instantly refute saying "it's too easy." My reply is always, "oh yea? I'll bet you $100 you don't shoot under par."

If you're shooting four under par or more, sure you may want to move back a set. Casual round with pops? I'd play from the 100 yard marker with my father if that's where he was playing from.

I agree with the above. My dad is competitive though and wants the advantage, because if we play the same tee, I outdrive him by 100yds.

It's for this reason that I move back and play the same tee as my sons - I still kick their butts even if one of them outdrives me by 60 plus yards. Whipper snappers!!!!! B)

Move up and enjoy your Dad - that's the most important thing here.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's for this reason that I move back and play the same tee as my sons - I still kick their butts even if one of them outdrives me by 60 plus yards. Whipper snappers!!!!! B)

Ha, you're in a little bit of a different league than my dad. I give him about 50yds on every tee, 10 strokes a side, and still usually beat him my 10-15 strokes.

On a related note, last time I played, I was behind a father/son twosome; it was the fathers 100th birthday and his son was 80..........I didn't care how slow they played, it was awesome to see.

No harm in moving up, especially if it makes him feel better about it. I actually recently moved up a set of tee boxes and golf is more fun because of it.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

My Dad has been long gone but you should enjoy time with your Dad. One of the members at my home course is in his 80s and I play some with him. I will hit from the senior tees with him. Since I do hit the driver reasonably far when I play with him I usually hit a 5 or 6 iron off the tee except for one short par 4 and he always likes to see me drive the green or attempt to. When we always get to that hole he will tell me hit it on the green. He gets a thrill from that. I enjoy making his day brighter and enjoy playing with him. This guy does not want to play in the golf leagues because he says they argue and gripe and cheat too much. He actually hits it pretty good to be 84. I say play with your Dad from the senior tees and enjoy it screw what anyone else says or thinks!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I don't see why anyone would care if you moved up anyway. But yea, just enjoy your time with your dad. My dad died when I was 11. I'll never know what it's like to grow up and have a friendship with him like that. Don't let anything take away from that time. It's too easy to take what we have for granted and worry about the small stuff that doesn't even matter.

The best to you both.

Hey everybody,

I just want to say thanks for all the responses to my post. I am glad there are so many of you that support my choice of moving up to play with my dad. Like some of you said I need to make the most of the time I have with him because he won't be here forever, I just need to make the most out of every round I have with him.

Happy Independence Day

Paul

Hey everybody,

I just want to say thanks for all the responses to my post. I am glad there are so many of you that support my choice of moving up to play with my dad. Like some of you said I need to make the most of the time I have with him because he won't be here forever, I just need to make the most out of every round I have with him.

Happy Independence Day

Paul

Thanks Paul hope you had a great 4th also and that's spoken from a Dad whose son is out somewhere under some ocean helping us enjoy the day.

Let me give you the other side perspective on this - what I said about beating my boys in an earlier post is absolutely true - I love to beat their brains in on the course but way, way more than that I love it that they always have wanted to play with me and still do. Nothing is more fun than playing with my sons. They both have very young sons and can't wait for the day when they can play with them like we used to play together when they were young.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Before you do, I would discuss it with your Dad. I am almost 67 and I play golf with my 17 year old (yes, I know...I'm too old to have a son that young) son. He likes to play from the tips and sometimes I will play from back there with him. I'm a little old to be playing 6900 yards but I still can keep up and shoot a respectable score from back there. Other times, we will play from the white tees (6500) yards. We always discuss it before we tee it up. Recently, I played from the senior tees (6100 yards) and he played from the tips. It did not bother me at all. I still beat him but then he says "well, you played from the old men's tees". And, that does not bother me either.

Talk it over with your Dad and do what is comfortable for the both of you.

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

Move up while you still have him...

That is "manly"

Tee off with your 7 iron

Who cares, you still have a dad to play with. Enjoy and savor every moment. That is fantastic.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Archived