Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How have you adjusted your buying habits in today's economy?

Moecat

Has the economy affected your golf gear buying habits?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Fewer purchases? More? No change? More "value" hunting?

• Overall fewer purchases
    • Overall more purchases
    • Approximately the same quantity of purchases
    • Looking for more discounts, or "value"
    • More online club trading or trade-ins for store credit
    • Only purchase shafts/grips for enhanced club performance
    • Only purchase on-course gadgets (like GPS, rangefinders) to improve course management
    • I've sold all my gear!!!!

I have made fewer purchases than normal so far this year not because of the economy but simply because I am quite happy with most of my clubs.

I did purchase a new set of irons, went back to Mizuno and got a set of (MX-200) which I had custom fitted. The driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and hybrid all remain the same. I replaced my 60° wedge with a CG 15, the grooves were worn out on the previous model.

Having said that, my urge to ho is always there, a new driver is a possibility but will have to demo beforehand, right now there are too many options in my head as to which would be a suitable replacement for my R7 Limited.

I've made a lot less purchases unfortunately, but really I was spending too much anyways. I do have my sights one thing this year though something new in the Driver slot. Wether that means a whole new stick or changing out the shaft in my current gamer I don't know, but something has to happen there.

I can't say I've made less purchases, but I'm more value aware. My X-22s I got with my airline points after I figured out they were what I wanted. So I saved money there. My 09 Burner, I bought new off of Ebay last month for $109, and its worth every penny. And as much as I like the Callaway iX Tour golfballs, I've switched to the less expensive Diablo ball. So yea, the economy has something to do with it, but if you want to play, you gotta do what you gotta do to pay those green fees!

dmarshal17

09 TaylorMade Burner Driver 9.5 deg

Adams RPM 3 Wood

09 TaylorMade Rescue #3 19 deg

Callaway X22 irons (3-PW)

Callaway X12 Sand Wedge

Titelist Vokey Wedge (58 deg)

Odyssey White Hot XG#5 Center Shafted

Hey, I'm on Twitter!

I've always looked for great deals. But the past two seasons I've made less than 1/2 the amount of purchases as I normally would make. I've been out injured so there was really no reason to buy anything other then to upgrade equipment. so if that meant selling two items to buy one that's what I did!

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I've cut down my spending a bit. But I've also improved my swing so I don't feel the need to spend money on a lot of equipment. I've also found to believe that today's equipment specs hurt swings in the long haul, so I usually go on eBay, get an vintage set of blades under $100 and tweak them a bit.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I'm usually pretty conservative in my spending anyway, but this year I plan on getting new irons. For the last couple months I've been buying gift cards here and there so I don't have to drop the cash all at once...

other than that I'm watching what I spend...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I'm as big of a club ho as I've always been. But, now I don't change for the sake of changing. It has to benefit my game in some way (at least in my own delusional mind). B)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I love new clubs. I also love to hunt for the deals. These days I really try to sell the old stuff before looking for new stuff.

My recent eBay restraint has been stuff of legend.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I have been looking at older new clubs at the online dealers like Rock Bottom. Instead of trading in old clubs, I plan on ebaying them instead, for more return. I am pretty set club wise, although I may be switching out of the Stiff Shafts on my Driver, 3 wood and Hybrid, which may mean I am better off buying a new club instead of switching shafts.

I have always bought new golf clothes/outfits at the X-mas time, and Winter for Spring and Summer. I am confined myself to buying the discounted clothes from TGW and Golf Galaxy, and my new movement to bring back the 70's golf style has had me in the Thrift Stores for 5.00 pants, and Ebay. Since I don't count on really buying a whole lot of clubs this year, I am going a little nuts with clothes, but everything is discounted.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Well Im a golf addict, so there was not cutting back for me.

I did change my habbits and i research every thing i want to buy ad get it at the chepest possible price. But this has resulted into me buying more things as they now seem cheap to what i used to pay. well i tried to quit i just cant :))

Golf is suppoused to be hard!

I have been looking at older new clubs at the online dealers like Rock Bottom. Instead of trading in old clubs, I plan on ebaying them instead, for more return. I am pretty set club wise, although I may be switching out of the Stiff Shafts on my Driver, 3 wood and Hybrid, which may mean I am better off buying a new club instead of switching shafts.

I have always bought new golf clothes/outfits at the X-mas time, and Winter for Spring and Summer. I am confined myself to buying the discounted clothes from TGW and Golf Galaxy, and my new movement to bring back the 70's golf style has had me in the Thrift Stores for 5.00 pants, and Ebay. Since I don't count on really buying a whole lot of clubs this year, I am going a little nuts with clothes, but everything is discounted.

UGHHHH... you just reminded me that I need new golf clothes... all of my polos are in need of refreshing since I wear them to work too...

looks like I should hit up a couple of the discount sites...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Sorry about that, I do the same thing, so looking in my closest, I got lots of nice new choices!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• 3 weeks later...

I may have touched every club in the shop today. I want to buy new stuff so bad, but I am saving the money.

Almost ordered the 60* that I want...

That's a lot of fun, just trying out all of the clubs with no intention to buy. As long as you don't bother the salespeople and waste their time, no one really cares.

• SPY VIP

That's a lot of fun, just trying out all of the clubs with no intention to buy. As long as you don't bother the salespeople and waste their time, no one really cares.

I have every intention to buy. :rolleyes:

I just don't have the funds for those intentions. My house could easily look like Palmers in the other thread. Just in putters even.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I think I've bought more than usual. I don't many clubs new, it's a waste of coin. So with people selling off extras they have lying around I've be picking up some great deals. I don't why though. Nothing I've bought on impulse the last 18 months has made my gamer bag anyway.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Think I am done with all my major expenses for golf this year, I just got 6 brand new golf shirts in from TGW to match back to all my 70's pants. I may buy a pair or 2 of pants though out the season, something "special" but other than maybe reshafting my driver, I am done. The courses get the rest!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Think I am done with all my major expenses for golf this year, I just got 6 brand new golf shirts in from TGW to match back to all my 70's pants. I may buy a pair or 2 of pants though out the season, something "special" but other than maybe reshafting my driver, I am done. The courses get the rest!

I love that your major expenses for the year were golf clothing!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

And I keep giving my old clubs away to a couple of friends just learning how to play!

I'm doing the same thing to try to expand my playing group. I just like to stipulate that they not sell them, so I can track them back down if I later realize that a giveaway club had some magic left in it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 3 months later...

I use to buy a new driver every two years. I would buy a new putter every three years. I have not bought any new clubs for two years and will not buy any for this year. That's a shame because I would really like to buy a new cobra driver.

My buying is based on my game level, so if it is better and I have outgrown a shaft flex, for example, I test out on measuring equipment and begin to shop for what fits me now.

I also take lessons each year to insure my swing is headed in the right direction and to get rid of bad habits that creep in.

Based on new technology that has been proven (e.g., this great forum), I will try out new balls, gloves, clothes, etc.

My purchasing does not swing with the economy. After all, one has to maintain the budget for life's basics like golf...LOL

Ol' Stick

Archived