TESTERS WANTED! ×

Whiskey!

GolfSpy WD

I've been on a hunt of trying different brands of Scotch for a while now. I've had some talks with Highlander about it, but I figured it was time to bring it out to the open forum.

Just curious what everyone likes for Scotch. For me, I like Scotch like I like my women. Gotta have a strong personality, so Islays are my favorite.

So far I've tried:

Laphroaig Cask Strength - By far the best I've tried so far. It's got a ton of qualities to it.

Bunnahabhain 12 - Very good sipping whiskey. This is one Highlander got me into.

Macallan Islay - Great cheap Islay. It's my goto for when I just want a glass

On my list to try:

Caol Ila - I can't find this anywhere

Ardberg - any of them

Lagavulin 16 - I don't know anything about it, but it's at my local store

I've had plenty of other non Islay whiskeys, but I'm not nearly as passionate about them. Glenlivet 18 is probably the best of these I've ever had, but Laphroaig cask was still better at half the price.

I also have a bottle of Johnny Black and Four Roses cause both make great regular drinking whiskeys.

Most of the time I have it neat with a drop or two of water in all my whiskeys.

While I am a big fan of The MaCallen and many other single malts, in the winter when I read and drink scotch I drink Famous Grouse. It is a pretty decent cheap scotch, IMO.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Not a fan of scotch. I love bourbon. My regular is Woodford Reserve and when I'm out on the town Angels Envy. If I'm drinking whiskey, it's either Jameson 12yr or Jack Daniels Single Barrel. Really I'll drink anything though........I have a glass of wine every night.

Lagavulin will put hair on your chest. Smoke and peat - I love it. A few years ago, the local discount liquor place had it for $46 when usually it's north of $60 or even $70. My wife can't stand to smell it, so I usually stick to Johnny Black or Maker's. Famous Grouse is nice too.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Just to clarify.... all Scotch, Bourbon, Rye and Irish is "whisk(e)y" The Scot's don't use an "E" in the spelling, everyone else does, with the exception of George Dickel Tennessee Whisky. Jack Daniel's is also Tennessee Whiskey.

All Bourbon is whiskey.... all whiskey is not Bourbon. ;)

Whisky thread - yay. I play off 3 when it comes to booze!

It's great living in the uk; we have easy access to great whisky from Scotland, Wales, even England (we don't do it as well as I'd like though) and of course Ireland. Oh and many other countries as well.

I like my whisky a little less dramatic than an Islay - fine and all that but I like my throat where it is - for me glenfiddichs, glenlivets, oban, glenmorangie and isle of Jura are my regular scotch whisky. But I'm at least if not more fond of irish and their blended is better hands down. As for their pot stilled - wow, try Redbreast 12 year old.

From other countries I'm a huge fan of japanese and Yamazaki in particular, from the US I've liked the L and G Woodford reserve and gentleman Jack (cheaper end of the market but its harder to get US whisky - which is a shame) - this winter I'm hoping to get some more unusual stuff.....African? Taiwanese?

My best bottle ever...Middleton very rare, a present from a friend and took me 6 months to drink but my god it was exceptional. To expensive to share with anyone!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Just to clarify.... all Scotch, Bourbon, Rye and Irish is "whisk(e)y" The Scot's don't use an "E" in the spelling, everyone else does, with the exception of George Dickel Tennessee Whisky. Jack Daniel's is also Tennessee Whiskey.

All Bourbon is whiskey.... all whiskey is not Bourbon. ;)

I believe you know your Bourbon. Back when I really consumed it was Jim Beam or George Dickel. as much as I used to drink I have never had Scotch but one time and I don't remember if it was ok or not. Give me my Bourbon and PBR because after all I am a Redneck

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Any one who likes bourbon needs to try Four Roses whiskey. One of the best bourbons imo.

Four Roses is excellent bourbon. Jim Rutledge is a master distiller. The Single Barrel and Small Batch are some fine offerings. I'm not particularly fond of the Yellow Label 80 proof, but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Their Limited Editions are also great, although a bit pricey.

• 2 weeks later...

Hats off to WD for this thread. I have only tried a couple hundred Scotch whisky's and can only remember about half. When you go sampling in Scotland it's easy to get past the point of remembering them. When drinking in the pub remember 'never draw your dirk when a blow will do' ~ Grand dad

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: Wilson Staff D-100 hybrid 3 16°, Matrix OZIK Altus 5.6: 60 gram

Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°

Irons: Wilson Staff D-100 4-Pw. Gw, Sw, Matrix Studio 6.1 Graphite: 65 gram

Wedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW with set of D-100’s

Putter: Current Hippo Attacker 1 Switching to: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)

Ball: Wilson Staff DUO/Z-Star/FG Tour

Bag: Bag Boy - Revolver

Backup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shafts

Whatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!What’s in the bag:Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaftFairway: Cobra AMP Cell 3-4 HYB: 4 plus = 21°, 4 plus Draw = 21° Draw, 4 = 22° *Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Irons 5- Sw, MRC Graphite ShaftWedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW in AMP Cell setPutter: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)Ball: Titlest VelocityBag: Bag Boy - RevolverBackup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shaftsWhatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!

Here in NYC I used to work very close to Keen's steakhouse. They have an incredible variety of scotch, and from time to time, my feet would just march me into their bar on my way to Penn Station. An after work flight would really put the work day behind you, and help you miss several trains if you weren't careful. ;-) If any of you are in NYC, I recommend you check it out. The food is great too!

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Balevenie is my favorite, their port barrel aged 12 year is exquisite! A friend brought me an unchill filtered caol isla from the distillery in scotland that was incredible!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

My last partner is tranferring to Mexico City tomorrow. Today he brought me a gift, wow what a guy. Never had this one before but I do drink a lot of Jack D.

jack_daniels_silver_select.jpg

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Wedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW with set of D-100’s

Putter: Current Hippo Attacker 1 Switching to: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)

Backup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shafts

Whatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!What’s in the bag:Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaftFairway: Cobra AMP Cell 3-4 HYB: 4 plus = 21°, 4 plus Draw = 21° Draw, 4 = 22° *Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Irons 5- Sw, MRC Graphite ShaftWedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW in AMP Cell setPutter: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)Ball: Titlest VelocityBag: Bag Boy - RevolverBackup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shaftsWhatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!

Grew up in Frankfort KY, home to 7 distilleries........Old Crow, Old Joe, Old Granddad, Blanton, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, etc., etc.

My likes are Jim Beam Black, Makers Mark & Wild Turkey.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

You'll like it. It's the regular single barrel offering at a higher proof. In my opinion, ALL whisk(e)y should be 50% or higher. ;)

You were correct sir. Tis a very nice drink.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

I've been on a hunt of trying different brands of Scotch for a while now. I've had some talks with Highlander about it, but I figured it was time to bring it out to the open forum.

Just curious what everyone likes for Scotch. For me, I like Scotch like I like my women. Gotta have a strong personality, so Islays are my favorite.

So far I've tried:

Laphroaig Cask Strength - By far the best I've tried so far. It's got a ton of qualities to it.

Bunnahabhain 12 - Very good sipping whiskey. This is one Highlander got me into.

Macallan Islay - Great cheap Islay. It's my goto for when I just want a glass

On my list to try:

Caol Ila - I can't find this anywhere

Ardberg - any of them

Lagavulin 16 - I don't know anything about it, but it's at my local store

I've had plenty of other non Islay whiskeys, but I'm not nearly as passionate about them. Glenlivet 18 is probably the best of these I've ever had, but Laphroaig cask was still better at half the price.

I also have a bottle of Johnny Black and Four Roses cause both make great regular drinking whiskeys.

Most of the time I have it neat with a drop or two of water in all my whiskeys.

Too bad you don't live near me. I have 2 bottles of Caol Ila you could have. I really don't like it.

Bunnahabhain 12 is one of my favorites. I also like Glenlivet 12 and most everything Macallan.

I'm not much for the strong smoke taste.

I prefer a cheap single malt such as Glen Parker over most any blended Scotch regardles off the quality of the blend.

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

Too bad you don't live near me. I have 2 bottles of Caol Ila you could have. I really don't like it.

Bunnahabhain 12 is one of my favorites. I also like Glenlivet 12 and most everything Macallan.

I prefer a cheap single malt such as Glen Parker over most any blended Scotch regardles off the quality of the blend.

Bring it by the Texas Open if you can make it!

Personally I loooove the smokey taste. Like women, I like whiskey with a strong personality that'll occasionally kick my ass.

Oh my Lord! If you can't make it to the Texas Open. I can stop by your place on the way. We could have one heck of a night in jasper with two bottles of the good stuff. Your just south of I-10 before Houston, right?

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Bring it by the Texas Open if you can make it!

Personally I loooove the smokey taste. Like women, I like whiskey with a strong personality that'll occasionally kick my ass.

No worries mate, If we can't get Rick to go maybe I can stop by and give him some of the stuff he likes in exchange for his also, I have found one here I am sure you will like. I am going to drive up to get it next week.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Late to the thread (as usual). Love the single malts also. And if you like the peaty stuff (as I do) then you must get your hands on that Caol Ila. Also, do yourself a huge favor and splurge on a bottle of Lagavulin 16- worth every penny and one of my favorites. Talisker is also nice, though not quite as strong flavored. I'll save the peaty stuff for after a meal, but have a wee dram of Oban, Glenkinchie, Cragganmore, etc., before. Had the excellent experience of a distillery tour (Glenkinchie) a few years ago when we were in Edinburgh for a week. Very interesting and a great tasting afterwards. Just picked up a bottle of Bowmore 12 (also Islay), which I have never had. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers!

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Late to the thread (as usual). Love the single malts also. And if you like the peaty stuff (as I do) then you must get your hands on that Caol Ila. Also, do yourself a huge favor and splurge on a bottle of Lagavulin 16- worth every penny and one of my favorites. Talisker is also nice, though not quite as strong flavored. I'll save the peaty stuff for after a meal, but have a wee dram of Oban, Glenkinchie, Cragganmore, etc., before. Had the excellent experience of a distillery tour (Glenkinchie) a few years ago when we were in Edinburgh for a week. Very interesting and a great tasting afterwards. Just picked up a bottle of Bowmore 12 (also Islay), which I have never had. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers!

I like anyone that says wee and dram! Plus you have good taste. Don't guess your coming to the MGS Texas Open 2013?

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

• 3 weeks later...

I like anyone that says wee and dram! Plus you have good taste. Don't guess your coming to the MGS Texas Open 2013?

Won't be at the Texas Open, I'm sorry to say. I've had a few drams of the Bowmore since my last post. Very, very peaty right up front. A little thin on the finish, meaning it doesn't have the long, smooth finish of the Lagavulin. Or even the interesting, though medicinal finish of Laphroaig. However, it's a worthy addition to the shelf and nice after dinner. Definitely worth the price, which I believe was less than $50.

STX xForm 3, 35"

Won't be at the Texas Open, I'm sorry to say. I've had a few drams of the Bowmore since my last post. Very, very peaty right up front. A little thin on the finish, meaning it doesn't have the long, smooth finish of the Lagavulin. Or even the interesting, though medicinal finish of Laphroaig. However, it's a worthy addition to the shelf and nice after dinner. Definitely worth the price, which I believe was less than $50.

Sorry to hear you won't be at the Open. Maybe next time. which Bowmore is it?

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Sorry to hear you won't be at the Open. Maybe next time. which Bowmore is it?

It's the Bowmore 12 year. I don't remember seeing any other distinguishers (cask strength, sherry cask, etc.) on the bottle. Good for the price.

STX xForm 3, 35"