Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Whiskey!

GolfSpy WD

It's not Thursday so I'm sorry to revive a thread 5 years old, but in due diligence I found a thread on the topic I wanted so why start one from scratch.

First off I enjoyed reading this thread. Since I'm starting to adventure with whisk(e)y more than my standard Glenlivet 12, Jameson, and Dewars 12.

I figured I'd take a little step into bourbon so I got Bulleit and now Angels Envy.

My next pay I'm going to buy Lagavulin 16. This will be new territory for me as I've had numerous scotch brands but never had anything at peat smoke as this. On that note anyone recommend something before that to try the peat flavor out?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It's not Thursday so I'm sorry to revive a thread 5 years old, but in due diligence I found a thread on the topic I wanted so why start one from scratch.

First off I enjoyed reading this thread. Since I'm starting to adventure with whisk(e)y more than my standard Glenlivet 12, Jameson, and Dewars 12.

I figured I'd take a little step into bourbon so I got Bulleit and now Angels Envy.

My next pay I'm going to buy Lagavulin 16. This will be new territory for me as I've had numerous scotch brands but never had anything at peat smoke as this. On that note anyone recommend something before that to try the peat flavor out?

If you’re wanting a good bourbon just look to see if it was made in Kentucky . We know a thing or two about that subject, except for me, but I generally like it all.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

Quit drinking it at 20 years old. Apparently a 5th of Jack and a case of beer before I went out were a bad thing. Have not had a drop in 22 years and the worse for it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I like Craggenmore as one of the classic malts- the rest are too 'medicinal' for me.

Bourbon is my choice of spirits these days (when I can afford it lol)

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On 7/10/2013 at 12:10 PM, GolfSpy WD said:

Caol Ila - I can't find this anywhere

Ardberg - any of them

Lagavulin 16 - I don't know anything about it, but it's at my local store

All three are excellent drams. I'm a huge Caol Ila fan. It has a subdued, peppery finish that I love. I believe it is also the main malt in Johnny Walker blends.

Ardbeg I find to be on the sweeter side of Islay whisky, but that might just be me.

Lagavulin 16 is just a great whisky, period. If you can find the 12 year old, I like it better than the 16. With Islay whisky, the younger stuff is usually stronger in the peat and smoke. The older stuff is more mellow. I love the peat bombs.... so!

If you prefer the smoky stuff, I would suggest you try Talisker. It's not a true Islay, but it's very smokey and just a wonderful sipper on a crisp, Fall evening!

edit: I just noticed this is an old thread and I already posted in it...lol.

I destroyed my stomach lining with Jack Daniel Old No.7  decades ago.

It was the preferred libation of the Rat Pack and thus mine as well.

My body has awesome defense mechanisms.

It let my belly take the fall before my brain had a chance to explode.

Now it's just Sambuca in my coffee, Chianti with my pasta, or an occasional Guinness Stout.

No more cigars so no more brandy.

I'll also  have one of those effeminate umbrella drinks at a Chinese restaurant.

But I sort of envy you guys.

I would have liked to try premium whiskeys with a mature palate.

Black Jack was kind of ordinary.

All three are excellent drams. I'm a huge Caol Ila fan. It has a subdued, peppery finish that I love. I believe it is also the main malt in Johnny Walker blends.

Ardbeg I find to be on the sweeter side of Islay whisky, but that might just be me.

Lagavulin 16 is just a great whisky, period. If you can find the 12 year old, I like it better than the 16. With Islay whisky, the younger stuff is usually stronger in the peat and smoke. The older stuff is more mellow. I love the peat bombs.... so!

If you prefer the smoky stuff, I would suggest you try Talisker. It's not a true Islay, but it's very smokey and just a wonderful sipper on a crisp, Fall evening!

edit: I just noticed this is an old thread and I already posted in it...lol.

You sir are the only one who posted in this thread 5 years ago who is still active to this day.

I can thank @fozcycle for turning me on to Wild Turkey Honey Sting.  It's my goto when the weather turns cold.  Unfortunately, stores in my area don't stock it; I have to order it.  Last month I placed my order, and I was told that the distributor only had one case, and they weren't sure if they would be getting any more.  I don't know if that means they just aren't going to get it any more, or if Wild Turkey has stopped producing.  

I've been trying several bourbons over the past couple of years.  Four Roses Single Barrel is very nice.  I've also gotten very partial to 1792.  I really like the Port Finish, one with the Blue band around the neck, but it's not available here any more either.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I can thank [mention=156]fozcycle[/mention] for turning me on to Wild Turkey Honey Sting.  It's my goto when the weather turns cold.  Unfortunately, stores in my area don't stock it; I have to order it.  Last month I placed my order, and I was told that the distributor only had one case, and they weren't sure if they would be getting any more.  I don't know if that means they just aren't going to get it any more, or if Wild Turkey has stopped producing.  
I've been trying several bourbons over the past couple of years.  Four Roses Single Barrel is very nice.  I've also gotten very partial to 1792.  I really like the Port Finish, one with the Blue band around the neck, but it's not available here any more either.
I'm going to try a bunch of all and I hear good things about the 4 roses

I never developed a taste for whiskey, bourbon, scotch, etc. - even in mixed drinks for the most part.  It's beer and wine for us with an occasional rather diluted Kahlua and 1% milk as a before bed time treat.   Sure a ton of options to chose from theses days.  It seems new micro-distilleries are popping up all over the place. This is a new one near us.

https://www.williesdistillery.com/?age-verified=6122361a18

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I have really gotten into bourbon in the last year.  I have been enjoying the Buffalo Trace offerings.  Currently working my way through some Buffalo Trace, Weller and Eagle Rare.  Eagle Rare is my favorite, but very hard to find here in Illinois.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I go to the “store” here and I get lost when I stand in he Bourbon and Whiskey aisles, there are hundreds of different kinds and price points. It is so difficult to choose, I can literally stand there for 45 minutes and not make a choice. It’s absurd the amount of choices. I just don’t know enough about the brands and tastes to make sure I pick out a good one. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I go to the “store” here and I get lost when I stand in he Bourbon and Whiskey aisles, there are hundreds of different kinds and price points. It is so difficult to choose, I can literally stand there for 45 minutes and not make a choice. It’s absurd the amount of choices. I just don’t know enough about the brands and tastes to make sure I pick out a good one. 
I want that store mine have a small portion of an isle that's it

3 hours ago, tommc23 said:

I want that store mine have a small portion of an isle that's it

There’s like 4 rows 25 feet long or so and it’s nothing but bourbon, and then there’s another 2 rows of different whiskey. 3-4 rows of every type of Rum. Honestly the store is so overwhelming it’s crazy. 

7 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

We don't have a very big selection of bourbon; maybe 4 shelves 10 feet long.  However, we have probably the highest liquor tax in the country, on top of one of the highest state sales tax in the country.  I have to choose carefully.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Speaking of which, I need to pick up some bourbon, any suggestions??😁

I just saw some Jack Daniels 'Honey' bourbon on the shelves 2 days ago- sounds lovely, read lovely, so I bought a litre, smells 'funny' and tastes 'different'.

I'll have to finish it quickly so I can buy a 'normal' bottle soon 😏

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

There’s like 4 rows 25 feet long or so and it’s nothing but bourbon, and then there’s another 2 rows of different whiskey. 3-4 rows of every type of Rum. Honestly the store is so overwhelming it’s crazy. 
Speaking of which, I need to pick up some bourbon, any suggestions??
I have a bottle of Bulleit which is 30 bucks and I like it a lot. Angel's envy is 50 but I haven't had much of it but it's aged in wine barrels which makes it sweeter.

3 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I just saw some Jack Daniels 'Honey' bourbon on the shelves 2 days ago- sounds lovely, read lovely, so I bought a litre, smells 'funny' and tastes 'different'.

Jack Daniels is "Tennessee Whiskey", as is George Dickel...  by their own definition. Both go through the Lincoln County Process, which is, the whiskey is filtered through 10' of Maple charcoal.

By law, both can be called Bourbon, but because of the filtering process they are technically Tennessee whiskies. 

4 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I didn’t care for the honey either. Different, yep that’s a good word for it. Not my favorite. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really enjoying the Bulleit bourbon it's scary how smooth it is.

The Angel's envy is becoming a quiet favorite of mine the more I drink it the more I learn about it.

The downside is the scotch I have always enjoyed is not as enjoyable as it once was, dunno if I've been drinking too much bourbon or the bourbon is just more palatable to me.

1 hour ago, tommc23 said:

I've been really enjoying the Bulleit bourbon it's scary how smooth it is.

The Angel's envy is becoming a quiet favorite of mine the more I drink it the more I learn about it.

The downside is the scotch I have always enjoyed is not as enjoyable as it once was, dunno if I've been drinking too much bourbon or the bourbon is just more palatable to me.

I am not a fan of Angel's Envy; not sure why, but I prefer others better.  Right now, I am fond of 1792, and especially their Port Finish.  Unfortunately, I have not seen the Port Finish in stock around here since the building collapse early this year.

Big fan of High West. Made in Utah, but really smooth small batch Boubon, Rye, blends.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

I have really gotten into bourbon in the last year.  I have been enjoying the Buffalo Trace offerings.  Currently working my way through some Buffalo Trace, Weller and Eagle Rare.  Eagle Rare is my favorite, but very hard to find here in Illinois.

Now here is s gentleman that knows great bourbon. Buffalo Trace is my fav. I was born and raised in the town where it is distilled....Frankfort KY. I’ll take Weller, for when I want a wheated bourbon...or better yet, Weller Antique, smooth 114 proof!

Currently, my bar has Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Makers Mark, Town Branch, OCD and Wild Turkey American Honey Sting.

Think I’ll be okay for awhile.

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

4 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Now here is s gentleman that knows great bourbon. Buffalo Trace is my fav. I was born and raised in the town where it is distilled....Frankfort KY. I’ll take Weller, for when I want a wheated bourbon...or better yet, Weller Antique, smooth 114 proof!

Currently, my bar has Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Makers Mark, Town Branch, OCD and Wild Turkey American Honey Sting.

Think I’ll be okay for awhile.

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

The distributor here in the PNW told the store in town that they only had one case of Wild Turkey Honey Sting, and they didn't think they would be getting any more.  Didn't say why.  

I have to order it because no one stocks it.  I hope they get more; it's great for those cold days of golf.  Thanks for introducing it to me, Foz!!

• 1 month later...

I preface this with I stopped drinking whiskey over 20 years ago but at times an opportunity presents itself. I got asked tonight if I could oils be interested in trying John Walker and some Pappy Van Winkle.

Hell yea and both were fantastic....just don’t tell SWMBO.

WITB 2024

2 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

I preface this with I stopped drinking whiskey over 20 years ago but at times an opportunity presents itself. I got asked tonight if I could oils be interested in trying John Walker and some Pappy Van Winkle.

Hell yea and both were fantastic....just don’t tell SWMBO.

Lucky dog pappy isn't cheap and it's hard to find

Lucky dog pappy isn't cheap and it's hard to find

It was tasty and easier to find than the John Walker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024