TESTERS WANTED! ×

TMag Lethal

Kor.A.Door

I was at the local Golfsmith the other day, and saw the Lethal on the shelf, and at 48 a dozen I was not about to do that, but I play with a guy a couple weeks ago who was trying them and he loved them. My rant, right next to the full dozen were half dozen boxes that said right on the top of the box, TMag would like to let you try the new Lethal, but in order to get the half dozen you had to buy the full dozen. That just made no sense to me, why am I going to pay 48 bucks for a dozen balls that I am not even sure I will like, just to get a 6 ball pack that is to try. Something is wrong with the marketing.

I did find one in the woods the other day, and it did seem to play well, but I won't buy any, I will just have to find more.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I didn't like it at all. Felt great off the putter and wedges, but felt like mush off the irons and driver. It was 10yds short of the Maxfli U/4x and a solid 15-20yds shorter than the Callaway Chrome+, off the tee. The Penta TP3 is 100x the ball the Lethal is. AND the name is just stupid.

I really liked the Penta TP3 and for that matter the other Penta from last year - I'm bummed that both were discontinued - very frustrated that everyone has to come out with a new line of balls every year - I've had way too many balls that I like discontinued.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

IMO its be best ball on the market right now, I have used it exclusively since it came out and absolutely love it. I feel like its pretty close to the 13' Pro-V1x, but to me the Lethal feels better off the putter and wedges, and perhaps a little bit longer. Don't let the silly name distract you, its a really good ball imo.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

IMO its be best ball on the market right now, I have used it exclusively since it came out and absolutely love it. I feel like its pretty close to the 13' Pro-V1x, but to me the Lethal feels better off the putter and wedges, and perhaps a little bit longer. Don't let the silly name distract you, its a really good ball imo.

For $48.00 a dozen, it better be the best ball ever made.

For $48.00 a dozen, it better be the best ball ever made.

Compared to the Pro V's its competing with that sell for $54 a dozen in our pro shop its a bargain...

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

It's in line with the price of the other premium balls, and you can't always find some deals with used balls or wait until they go on sale. If you choose to play a premium ball just be prepared to spend that type of money.

Now on the flip side if I'm reading this correctly instead of $48 for a dozen, you actually get a dozen and a half for that price. Now when you compare that to the other premium balls on the market that is actually a pretty good value. Not really sure what the complaint is.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I would also point out that there is still a pretty good supply of last years TP5 available, and it is not a bad option either. I find the Lethal and TP5 to be almost interchangeable.

Now, that said, I think seasonal conditions play a factor into what you want to play. As greens trend harder / softer you will want to tweak the spin behaviors. The Lethal/TP5 is a one ball fits all solution, and as greens soften, tend to check and come back more, so as greens soften, I tend to go to a slightly lower spin ball ( Bridgestone B330-RX ). I generally carry a couple of sleeves of balls in the bag to give me options going into a round.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Bridgestone RX or plain 330 are both their version of the Penta 5/Lethal - there's really very little difference in spin rate - could be you used them on a day when you weren't hitting it as well.

You can very quickly figure out which ball is which manufacturer's Pro VI and Pro VIx although the Ix seems to be winning out across the board in terms of usage because it's generally a bit longer - ironically I have never played with the real Ix even though I'm consistenly fit for that type of ball whenever I go for a fitting.

Go figure

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Bridgestone RX or plain 330 are both their version of the Penta 5/Lethal - there's really very little difference in spin rate - could be you used them on a day when you weren't hitting it as well.

You can very quickly figure out which ball is which manufacturer's Pro VI and Pro VIx although the Ix seems to be winning out across the board in terms of usage because it's generally a bit longer - ironically I have never played with the real Ix even though I'm consistenly fit for that type of ball whenever I go for a fitting.

Go figure

The RX, for me, is the lowest spinning pro level ball I've hit. The regular 330 spins equal to a ProV1 and a Lethal.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

It's in line with the price of the other premium balls, and you can't always find some deals with used balls or wait until they go on sale. If you choose to play a premium ball just be prepared to spend that type of money.

Now on the flip side if I'm reading this correctly instead of $48 for a dozen, you actually get a dozen and a half for that price. Now when you compare that to the other premium balls on the market that is actually a pretty good value. Not really sure what the complaint is.

The real complaint here is that the half dozen box says right on the front, Taylor made would like for you to try the new Lethal, but in order to get the trial pack you have to buy a full dozen, it seems to me that if you want people to try your new equipment you would make a trial pack, 2 ball or if you are going to have a six pack trial, make it available in other ways, why would I need a trial pack when i just purchased a full pack, again, I just find it odd that to get the trial pack you have to buy a full pack of the same ball.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived