Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Mizuno MP-4 and MP-54

Hula Rock

Buddy just sent me a couple of pics of the new irons. MP-4's looking SWEEEEEEEET !!!! :o

MP-4

MP-4.jpg

MP-54

Mp-54.jpg

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I saw these this morning and my jaw pretty much hit the ground. I can't wait to see these in person

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

I've been working the phones (and the email) trying to get some additional info from Mizuno on these. It's always tricky this time of year...the US division is trying to keep things under-wraps while Mizuno Europe is showing off everything they possibly can.

Even if I don't get a timely call back, I'll post something on the site today or tomorrow.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

MP4 = Pure Muscle

MP-54 = Step Muscle

At least from what I am reading so far. Spec sheets coming out in the Morning...

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Wow, beautiful. I really like the blades.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I've been working the phones (and the email) trying to get some additional info from Mizuno on these. It's always tricky this time of year...the US division is trying to keep things under-wraps while Mizuno Europe is showing off everything they possibly can.

Even if I don't get a timely call back, I'll post something on the site today or tomorrow.

It's the other way around with all other brands :) US keeps filling up twitter, forums and FB with info while euros stay quiet.

MP4 = Pure Muscle

MP-54 = Step Muscle

At least from what I am reading so far. Spec sheets coming out in the Morning...

Step muscle? There's a giant cavity the MP54's in the non scoring irons. I know that's the tech Mizzie is saying they're using, but that slot is MX300esque

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Im in love with the MP-4s. If I could marry them and have them bear my children, I would.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• SPY VIP

Maybe I've become jaded, but sitting around waiting for additional info seems a little bit silly (and that's coming from a guy who is basically sitting around waiting for more info).

Here's what common sense tells us: The MP-4 is the replacement for the MP-69 (we assumed that was coming anyway). The MP-54 is the replacement for the MP-53, which we thought was coming last year when Mizuno up and surprised us with the MP-H4s instead. Cosmetic changes with a performance story built around them.

The real surprise (which probably shouldn't be too much of surprise given what Mizuno did last year) is that there is absolutely no indication of a replacement for the MP-59s.

This might be back to back anomalies, or it could single a shift to a 3 year product cycle for everything in the 50-series. Quite frankly, the 59s are beautiful and outstanding performers, so there's no pressing need to replace them. The same was true of the 53s last year.

The 53s are on their 3rd season now, so an update is reasonable...if only to fight the perception of an old iron on the shelves. New is better...even when it's mostly the same.

The MP-4...it never hurts to have a new blade on the shelf (and the 69s, while gorgeous, have some design elements I don't love). Hopefully Mizuno backs off the progressive design just a bit. The short irons are simply too bulky for where the design fits in the lineup.

I'm sure Mizuno will have a performance/feel story to tell, but the likelihood is there's probably nothing ground-breaking here (not much really truly is these days). Just business as usual from Mizuno, which has never proved to be a bad thing either.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

From what I know, the MP68 is the last model that has classic specs, while the 69s have slightly stronger lofts and longer shaft... correct?

If so, would the MP4 be like the 68 or 69?

That's the biggest question for me (conceding that like most, I have no business playing blades). With the 69s Mizuno went less traditional both in terms of loft and length, but also with respect to the design of the heads. I'm hoping the 4s are a little bit more old school.

The m4 would look very nice in a satin finish IMO

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Those MP-4's look so damn sweet. I use to play the 14's and the 29's before I switched to Callaway Proto's and now Cobra Pro mb's. I'd sure like to give these a real run through. These MP-4's look great from the one pic.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

That's the biggest question for me (conceding that like most, I have no business playing blades). With the 69s Mizuno went less traditional both in terms of loft and length, but also with respect to the design of the heads. I'm hoping the 4s are a little bit more old school.

I hope so too, either way, I won't be buying them until next year or 2.

Will be getting them just because they look sexy.

The m4 would look very nice in a satin finish IMO

you should see my Miura baby blades in satin, you'd love it ^_^

I think the chrome on Mizuno would look better.

I've got no problem with the 1* strengthening in loft cuz my 68s are bent 2* strong. However, the only reason for a longer shaft is for distance, and the day will never, ever come where Mizuno designs an MP iron and uses the word distance in the same sentence or even in the marketing story. Distance control, yes, however distance?

Just out of curiosity why did you bend your 68s 2 degrees strong?

Sooooooooo pretty. I've been awaiting the arrival of the MP54 for such a long time. Last year I strayed from the Mizuno path when I changed my worn out MX25 for Ping i20's as the MP53 wasn't available anymore at that time. I wonder if the mp54 can kick the i20's out of the bag (as I'm not a club ho and I don't change for the sake of changing). I hope I fall in love with them. I'm longing for the soft feel of a forged mizuno head without inserts coupled with a nice soft feeling KBS shaft again :-)

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

These are just beautiful irons -

I'm having a bit of a problem keeping my Mizzies down right now and will be strenthening the lofts on them for that reason also - they bend like butter anyway - Rickles told me he had some of the lofts weakened.

I don't even think they market the plain 825's for distance and even though the lofts are stronger the shaft lengths aren't - there's a cool you tube video where the guy lengthens the shaft and then hits them head to head against the regular rocket bladz and the 825's are longer.

Just give me an iron that hits the ball the same distance every time I put a good swing on it and doesn't kill me when I'm a bit off and I'm very happy - there are several options in the Mizuno line that work in that regard.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

• 7 months later...

I know this thread is old and buried, but I'm so stoked I can't help myself.  Pulled the trigger yesterday.  Out with the never loved i20's, back to trusted Mizuno.  MP54 looks similar to my previous MX-25, so I guess I'm stepping up.  Opted for KBS Tour Regular shafts and M31 grips.  My game will probably get worse as my golfing time will be limited to 3 days a week max.  But I'm focussing on enjoyment (trying the odd shotshape here and there) rather than scoring this year.  So at least now I have a gorgeous iron to look at again every time I pull one out of the bag :-)

I've always hated the "unreliability" of the i20's distance wise.  I always loved the "honesty" of my MX25's, they produced what I put in, nothing more, nothing less.  So back to where it all started for me, Mizuno.  Now the wait begins until they get delivered ...

Sooooooooo pretty. I've been awaiting the arrival of the MP54 for such a long time. Last year I strayed from the Mizuno path when I changed my worn out MX25 for Ping i20's as the MP53 wasn't available anymore at that time. I wonder if the mp54 can kick the i20's out of the bag (as I'm not a club ho and I don't change for the sake of changing). I hope I fall in love with them. I'm longing for the soft feel of a forged mizuno head without inserts coupled with a nice soft feeling KBS shaft again :-)

You're going to love them.  :D

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

I know this thread is old and buried, but I'm so stoked I can't help myself.  Pulled the trigger yesterday.  Out with the never loved i20's, back to trusted Mizuno.  MP54 looks similar to my previous MX-25, so I guess I'm stepping up.  Opted for KBS Tour Regular shafts and M31 grips.  My game will probably get worse as my golfing time will be limited to 3 days a week max.  But I'm focussing on enjoyment (trying the odd shotshape here and there) rather than scoring this year.  So at least now I have a gorgeous iron to look at again every time I pull one out of the bag :-)

I've always hated the "unreliability" of the i20's distance wise.  I always loved the "honesty" of my MX25's, they produced what I put in, nothing more, nothing less.  So back to where it all started for me, Mizuno.  Now the wait begins until they get delivered ...

congrats on the purchase!! nothing feels like a mizzy!! im still playing a set of callaway x18s from about 6 years ago and the 54's are definitely on my radar.... enjoy them!!

Driver: Looking for a new one for 2014! Covert? SLDR? Big Bertha? Any suggestions?!

3 wood: Taylormade RBZ 3-wood, stock

Hybrid: Adams A4OS 3 hybrid (19 degree) and 4 hybrid (22 degree)

Irons: Callaway X18 irons, 3-PW

Wedges: Cleveland 588DSG 54*, Titleist Vokey SM2 60*

Putter: Nike Unitized Leo

Shoes: Adidas TOUR360

Thanks RPJ .. What you write goes right to the essence of it ... I have fond memories of certain shots with my MX-25, with a certain feel and joy still engrained in my brain, to which I think back regularly with a smile on my face ... I have none of those with the i20's, allthough my hcp went down with them, they are just tools ... whereas the Mizuno's seem to be something more than that to me, more than the sum or their parts, I can't explain it rationally ...

It's the same with my cars for me.  My previouw car I knew with my mind was probably a better car for less money than my current ride.  But still there was no love in the rationally bought car, and I had to let it go with zero regrets.  Now I love my bought with the heart car to death !

• 2 weeks later...

its a very good thing i absolutely love the 68's, this is my second full season with them, and they seem to have better/softer feel with every round, with my back finally feeling better, i am finally able to get the distance back with them. those MP-4's look amazing, that might be my next set, nooooo, at some point you just have to say no, but i want them. as long as i dont see them in the store I should be okay

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I'm royally screwed.  After 4 weeks allotted time for the custom build I heard nothing from the supplier about my new MP54's.  So I started emailing.  A few days and three emails later still no reaction from them.  So l look up their phone number on their website and start calling them.  No one picks up the phone.  In the mean time contact details including phone numbers have been removed from their website.

I think I am screwed.  Allready put in a claim with Mastercard.  Fingers crossed I at least get my money back.

So no MP54's for me at the moment  :-(

Luckily the damned i20's aren't sold yet ...

Yikes - what a horrible story. I hope can get your money back!

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

Archived