Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Designing an MGS Links Course

Aotearoa_Brad

Until you actually get into this you do not realize how difficult and fun at the same time this can be. You want to use the terrain and you want to make it fun to play but at the same time you have to make it easy to flow. You do not want to double back to tee boxes.

Since I am unable to golf this weekend I have something to play with while watching the Open.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I thought about that, and making islands for greens but this version simply uses available lines through or over the trees.

Surprised you didn't run any holes along the water given the prime coastline opportunities

Well, see, what we don't want is to end up with a whale getting a golf ball stuck in its blowhole. Don't think George Costanza would be readily available in NZ to rescue it! Ha!

I'm hoping to get a good start on this this weekend. Once I get the terrain to start with, I can turn out some stuff to look at for everyone's approval.

So are we sticking to the coast side cliff location? Be darned with the extra cost?

• 3 months later...

With winter coming I think it may be time to revive our little project.

Sounds like a plan!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

If u guys had pga championship golf 2000. We could design a course to play..:)

Stinks the new games now have no course architect,,all arcade based

ya that was an awesome feature of the old games the course builder. I had jack Nicklaus golf in the late 80's and made courses daily.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• 1 year later...

There was a time when I would have had the time to do it with some kind of topography to start with. I have too much going now to do much with it. I don't have my rendering software now either for that matter.

I suggest that 17 be an island green, surrounded by sand, thus offering a soft buffer between the green and OB. For a hole that long and difficult, you have to give some sort of saving grace for crazy winds and slightly offline shots.

#17 at Apple Tree GC in Yakima Washington from the tee box

golf1.jpg

Go for it!  I'd like to see an MGS designed course.  If you want comments/suggestions as you go, fire away.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This is pretty cool!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• SPY VIP

This idea seriously started with me being an ass to Brad, he texted me whining how none of his New Zealand courses had maps on the cards and wondered how hard it would be to map from Google.

I literally mocked this quick doodle and replied with: "There you go, all done"

designcourse.jpg

I would love for us to roll with this original and it's extended versions just to see our little joke make for a little creative fun. Maybe I can get my hands on The Golf Club Game and design it in the virtual world.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• 3 months later...

OK, I had to revive this thread from last year since we have been discussing similar topics in the current thread on "Course set up and pace of play"

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/14146-course-set-up-and-pace-of-play/

and another thread from last fall...

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/11857-what-makes-a-great-golf-course/

Everyone over the past year has had good ideas on how to make a golf course more playable and enjoyable for everyone, including improving pace of play, but I dare say that the discussion is slightly skewed to the abilities of the MGS members commenting.  That's not bad, because we are the people that can effect change.  But we have to do something more than just talk.  Current designers do not seem to know how to incorporate these features into a course.  They just keep building on the same theme from the past 20 years.

There is an old Japanese proverb that I like to use:  "A vision without action is a dream, Action without vision is a nightmare."  

So, my question is:  What happened to designing an MGS course?  Is it just a dream, or can MGS exert some influence in future course designs to provide a better experience for all golfers?  Whether or not we actually develop an MGS course, or provide a unified forum voice to course architects willing to to listen to what we have to say, doesn't really matter.  However, we should at least try to make a difference, either on future courses, or improvement of existing courses.

Is this really possible?  Or is this just a dream?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

#17 at Apple Tree GC in Yakima Washington from the tee box

attachicon.gifgolf1.jpg

Go for it!  I'd like to see an MGS designed course.  If you want comments/suggestions as you go, fire away.

I played this course. And Yes I hit the Green in Regulation.  I should have, it is almost as big as Rhode Island. The cart path from the teebox is treacherous. Oh yeah, I also 3 putted it.

I played this course. And Yes I hit the Green in Regulation.  I should have, it is almost as big as Rhode Island. The cart path from the teebox is treacherous. Oh yeah, I also 3 putted it.

It's an OK course, but not my favorite in the area. Yeah, the first time you play it, it looks intimidating, but the green is huge and you have to seriously misclub or mishit to miss it. Just hitting the green is not a gimme par that's for sure!

Surprised you didn't run any holes along the water given the prime coastline opportunities

That other picture was directly overhead and I don't believe it gave justice to how a large portions of the greens are near the edge of a cliff. Also there are lots of elevation changes on this course.

It was a lot of fun.

Links at Sheepard's Peak II.jpg