Designing an MGS Links Course

Our Sponsors

I started looking at ways that I might be able to do course layout images for local public courses - using satellite images and turning them into an easy to read image so that the local courses could upload this to their website (I get really frustrated at how little info there is on some public course websites about course layout).

Anyway, I contacted Dan (GolfSpyMBP) as he is really good with images, and Keith (Blade) as he works doing 3D modelling (correct me if I'm way off Keith) about whether there was an easy software package that I could get hold of to help with this.

Being the extremely helpful person that Dan is, he took time out of his very busy day to do the first course layout for me, along with some wise-cracks about sheep...

9holev1.jpg

After I stopped rolling around on the floor, the creative juices started flowing and we figured - heck, how hard could it be to design a golf course.

Add in some hazards, a turtle sanctuary at the bottom of the cliff (the OB line), ensure there are Bass in the lakes (catch and release only), offer villas for purchase adjacent to the course:

back9v2.jpg

9holev2.jpg

So, we've got to this point thus far:

• Location to be confirmed, though somewhere in New Zealand.
  • 5 sets of tees, 7600yard, par 72 (links style)
  • Front 9 Pars: 4,4,3,4,4,5,4,3,5 (62 bunkers)
  • Back 9 Pars: 5,3,4,4,4,4,4,3,5 (66 bunkers)
  • Turtle and Frog sanctuary
  • Lakes loaded with Bass
  • House packages available for MGSers

We need input! What are we missing? What needs adjusting? How can we realise the full potential here?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would be so down if there was some way to make this come alive! We even scouted out a couple of likely pieces of vacant coastal land in New Zealand!

Just doodling at work while waiting for automation to do it's thing. I think 9 at 630 yards should finish a beast hard uphill cut over the lake and a big false front.  

This idea seriously started with me being an ass to Brad, he texted me whining how none of his New Zealand courses had maps on the cards and wondered how hard it would be to map from Google.   I lit

Posted Images

Looks great! Are those sheep drawn on the front 9? Lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

We need to find the property so I can do this with it.

RICHLAND RIDGE SCENE 5.jpg

Then we can all add our ideas.

Not sure about putting the sheep into it! :lol: But you never know what I might come up with. :D

So Brad, start looking for some real estate near a cliff and point me to it on Google Earth!

We can do it! After all, if we build it, they will come! :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S.

Sorry about the picture size. I grabbed it off my phone. I'll resize this evening.

• SPY VIP

Naming the holes is a cool idea.

Now on a serious note I'm thinking we may need more bunkers :P

This doesn't necessarily need to be ocean side. I had pictured the OB cliff a valley originally. Any historic parks with a river gorge we can tear up?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

On naming holes, do you make up names for places on your course.

On mine, I might say that I am on the Indian Burial Mound on the left, or on the banks of the Gitchigoomee, on 15 if you go left you end up in the Serenity Garden, where you will find peace and become one with the Koi Pond, and if you go right you can get to the sacrificial alter. There are many more but then again we try to have a good time.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Just doodling at work while waiting for automation to do it's thing. I think 9 at 630 yards should finish a beast hard uphill cut over the lake and a big false front.

9hole.jpg

Will there be a 5th of jack at the end of that hole cause I think I'd need it

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

• SPY VIP

I suggest that 17 be an island green, surrounded by sand, thus offering a soft buffer between the green and OB. For a hole that long and difficult, you have to give some sort of saving grace for crazy winds and slightly offline shots.

There is no saving grace, this is Miller time

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

now we're talking! Nice Dan! The beach to the South is called Hot Water Beach, as it is geothermically heated. There's a good chance we could tap into that to heat the Spa and rejuvenation centre in the Academy B)

Now someone just needs to hit the lotto

now we're talking! Nice Dan! The beach to the South is called Hot Water Beach, as it is geothermically heated. There's a good chance we could tap into that to heat the Spa and rejuvenation centre in the Academy B)

Has to be done.

That way the non golfing wives would still be okay going and have something to do.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider