Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Open Discussion...

fozcycle

It's interesting that Mizuno introduces pics of their new MP4 & MP-54 irons this week while their No. 1 guy, Luke Donald cards a whopping +8 at The Open. :blink:

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Maybe I've never noticed it or maybe it's because its usually raining, but they are getting some massive roll on those fairways. Crazy how some good shots are ending up bad because the ball just keeps rolling until it ends up in a bunker or 3 foot tall grass.

Luke is all over the place. Looks like he is pretty frustrated today. Not quite as bad as Swarzel breaking his 6 iron though, that was pretty funny.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

Yeah Charl was in rare form on camera......maybe if they had to pay for their clubs, they would think twice before they destroy them. I am at work with ESPN viewing on my iPad sitting next to my PC....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

How about tiger's 300 yard four iron on the par five!

Boy I wish it was acceptable for courses to be brown in the us... Golf would be much cheaper and probably easier for seniors and women who rely on roll off the tee!

I'd love to play a course like

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Some complaints from players today. Hard greens, very quick with pins in "wrong" places. Phil didn't like it.

Charl had a bad round but was all smiles after a birdie on 18. Link to his club-breaking :)

Some complaints from players today. Hard greens, very quick with pins in "wrong" places. Phil didn't like it.

Charl had a bad round but was all smiles after a birdie on 18. Link to his club-breaking :)

That club breaking wasnt as bad as i thought it would be lol

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I'd love to play a course like

Theoo, have you ever been down to Phoenix in Grove City? It's links style but an Americanized version of it. Still a fun play worth checking out if you get the chance.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I looked at my fantasy points and had an embarrassing 24 points. I eventually clicked to see how far I dropped in the standing and had gained one place. Guess I was not the only one who has had a bad week so far.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Theoo, have you ever been down to Phoenix in Grove City? It's links style but an Americanized version of it. Still a fun play worth checking out if you get the chance.

Haven't gotten to Phoenix yet but played royal American which was nice

Theo,

I remember playing my home course in central KY during a drought in the early 90's.......The course was so dry & hard I drove the green on a Par 4 375 yd hole. I hit a low screamer to the left with a right sloping fairway and it rolled to the green.

The issue at the Open is the hard greens, where a short chip can run out off the back of the green into trouble. As Spieth witnessed this morning.

Theo,

I remember playing my home course in central KY during a drought in the early 90's.......The course was so dry & hard I drove the green on a Par 4 375 yd hole. I hit a low screamer to the left with a right sloping fairway and it rolled to the green.

The issue at the Open is the hard greens, where a short chip can run out off the back of the green into trouble. As Spieth witnessed this morning.

True, the greens in the morning havent been as bad as when it gets late in the day

Tiger will finish at -2.......not bad going to the weekend.....

The putt by Robert Garigus on #15 was just insane.

http://www.businessinsider.com/robert-garrigus-100-foot-putt-british-open-2013-7

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Tiger will finish at -2.......not bad going to the weekend.....

Only one shot off the lead now. I like his odds if this course stays this fast

Deal Phil,

It's The Open, it's a major, it's supposed to be hard.

Love,

A Golf Fan

Oh, and in honor of El Mechanico leading through 2...

1,000 pounds of awesome for ya

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Those greens are getting hard and fast. Phil of all people 4 putted from about 20 ft today. Zach 3 putted a couple himself. Snedeker had a 3 or 4 putt himself. If those guys are 3 and 4 putting the greens have to be slicker than grease on a door knob. Far as course conditions that is the type of courses I grew up playing on sans all the pot bunkers and traps. I would probably shoot 150 there but it would be fun but as one of the Dukes over there said on the broadcast today "that is how golf was meant to be played"The way the lead was flip flopping around it will be interesting to see this weekend if the conditions stay the same

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well, Phil putting poorly doesn't come as a big shock... His putter has historically let him down. Tiger is putting fine, and he's always been one of the better putters on tour. I hope it stays fast and firm, makes it interesting

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I agree, always thought Phil was mediocre putter at best, leaning towards poor. I think Snedeker is a pretty good putter though, and I like his routine. Gets to the point quicker than most.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

I agree Theo....and from his interview, I think he looks and feels confident.

Tweet from Keegan Bradley,

"On range after my round, Miguel Jimenez walked past me with aviator sunglasses, a cigar, and a bottle of wine. Maybe he is the coolest man alive."

When asked about the pressure on him because he is in first place, Jimenez leaned back in his chair and opened a leather cigar and smiled and said, "There is a lot of pressure now." "No pressure means you don't need to be here." As he selected his cigar.

I love him.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

1374286079[/url]' post='110130']

Tweet from Keegan Bradley,

"On range after my round, Miguel Jimenez walked past me with aviator sunglasses, a cigar, and a bottle of wine. Maybe he is the coolest man alive."

When asked about the pressure on him because he is in first place, Jimenez leaned back in his chair and opened a leather cigar and smiled and said, "There is a lot of pressure now." "No pressure means you don't need to be here." As he selected his cigar.

I love him.

He reminds me of the Dos Equiis commercial...."Stay thirsty my Friend"

Well, Phil putting poorly doesn't come as a big shock... His putter has historically let him down. Tiger is putting fine, and he's always been one of the better putters on tour. I hope it stays fast and firm, makes it interesting

Phil is the most over rated putter of all time - statistically he vascilates between below average and average - when he's average he wins because he is a great iron player and every bit as a good with his pitching/chipping as people perceive him to be with his putter.

Rookie knows my views on Tiger's putting - it has gone from being the very best in the world to less than the best but still quite good - that's true statistically - it was already beginning to let him down in majors prior to the Thanksgiving incident - I remain convinced that this is a product of his age - its happened before to several top players - Sam Sneed, Tom Watson and Arnold Palmer stand out among them - something happens in the mid-30's and it doesn't come back.

He is still a very good putter - he's just not bullet proof as he was - if he doesn't win this major I'm ready to say he won't catch Jack because in this major he doesn't even have to hit driver but a handful of times. His course management and ball striking are brilliant right now. But the putter is just a tic off.

As I age I realize just how great a player has to be to win all four majors - Each one tests a different aspect of a player's game - None really hits it by itself but when you put them altogether - the guy who can win all four - he better be able to do everything well.

This is fun to watch. I'm anxious to see if Tiger can do enough to win, if Westwood can hold on now that he has a bit of a lead - really great stuff.

As for those who would like to play a course like this - be careful what you wish for. Have you ever played a course in Wisconsin or Minnesota in the winter where the ground is frozen but there was no snow so you went out to play? You hit a great shot, it hits ice on the green and the next thing you know you're in the trees 30 yards behing it - that's what this is - the ball goes and goes and goes until it gets somewhere you dont' want it to be - then it stops.

I do have a very, very good friend who was a strong player who played Murifield a number of years back during a dry summer - he shot 36 going out down wind and 51 coming back - this is a guy who was a member at a Augusta and has played most of the worlds top 100 courses - he had a 3 that traveled quite well - his best round at Augusta was 71 -

Dont' think the extra distance makes it easier.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev I have played in Wisconsin but not in the winter. I was noticing yesterday that when they hit out of the fairway and that there was not much divot even on wedge shots and the dust was flying. Reminded me of the hot dry summers in the piedmont of North Carolina except it was red clay dust. None of the public courses had fairway irrigation at the time only greens and some tees. The grass what was left of it was short and brown. In those days most public courses used what the Good Lord made on the fairways. Most of the greens on public courses in that area and that era used a hybrid grass called 328 Tifton which is a hybrid Bermuda. It was somewhat slow but rolled true. Man first time I putted on bent wow!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Holy spit - Swartzel just drove the green on 15

This is too cool

I remember those days Stu - we played the course as nature made it - very different from today - today we play the course as the course makes itself out to be - a lot like dating.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Once again, Tiger is just 2 shots behind the lead........Can he do it on Sunday?

Lee Westwood + Sean Foley. Would be funny if that resulted in a major in the first tournament :)

It would, but can Westwood finally close the door, especially with Tiger knocking right on it

Tiger won't win this tournament. Heard it here first

In The Bag

Looks like the greens are holding today........

Archived