The Open Discussion...

Our Sponsors

Tweet from Keegan Bradley,

"On range after my round, Miguel Jimenez walked past me with aviator sunglasses, a cigar, and a bottle of wine. Maybe he is the coolest man alive."

When asked about the pressure on him because he is in first place, Jimenez leaned back in his chair and opened a leather cigar and smiled and said, "There is a lot of pressure now." "No pressure means you don't need to be here." As he selected his cigar.

I love him.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1374286079[/url]' post='110130']

Tweet from Keegan Bradley,

"On range after my round, Miguel Jimenez walked past me with aviator sunglasses, a cigar, and a bottle of wine. Maybe he is the coolest man alive."

When asked about the pressure on him because he is in first place, Jimenez leaned back in his chair and opened a leather cigar and smiled and said, "There is a lot of pressure now." "No pressure means you don't need to be here." As he selected his cigar.

I love him.

He reminds me of the Dos Equiis commercial...."Stay thirsty my Friend"

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Well, Phil putting poorly doesn't come as a big shock... His putter has historically let him down. Tiger is putting fine, and he's always been one of the better putters on tour. I hope it stays fast and firm, makes it interesting

Phil is the most over rated putter of all time - statistically he vascilates between below average and average - when he's average he wins because he is a great iron player and every bit as a good with his pitching/chipping as people perceive him to be with his putter.

Rookie knows my views on Tiger's putting - it has gone from being the very best in the world to less than the best but still quite good - that's true statistically - it was already beginning to let him down in majors prior to the Thanksgiving incident - I remain convinced that this is a product of his age - its happened before to several top players - Sam Sneed, Tom Watson and Arnold Palmer stand out among them - something happens in the mid-30's and it doesn't come back.

He is still a very good putter - he's just not bullet proof as he was - if he doesn't win this major I'm ready to say he won't catch Jack because in this major he doesn't even have to hit driver but a handful of times. His course management and ball striking are brilliant right now. But the putter is just a tic off.

As I age I realize just how great a player has to be to win all four majors - Each one tests a different aspect of a player's game - None really hits it by itself but when you put them altogether - the guy who can win all four - he better be able to do everything well.

This is fun to watch. I'm anxious to see if Tiger can do enough to win, if Westwood can hold on now that he has a bit of a lead - really great stuff.

As for those who would like to play a course like this - be careful what you wish for. Have you ever played a course in Wisconsin or Minnesota in the winter where the ground is frozen but there was no snow so you went out to play? You hit a great shot, it hits ice on the green and the next thing you know you're in the trees 30 yards behing it - that's what this is - the ball goes and goes and goes until it gets somewhere you dont' want it to be - then it stops.

I do have a very, very good friend who was a strong player who played Murifield a number of years back during a dry summer - he shot 36 going out down wind and 51 coming back - this is a guy who was a member at a Augusta and has played most of the worlds top 100 courses - he had a 3 that traveled quite well - his best round at Augusta was 71 -

Dont' think the extra distance makes it easier.

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Rev I have played in Wisconsin but not in the winter. I was noticing yesterday that when they hit out of the fairway and that there was not much divot even on wedge shots and the dust was flying. Reminded me of the hot dry summers in the piedmont of North Carolina except it was red clay dust. None of the public courses had fairway irrigation at the time only greens and some tees. The grass what was left of it was short and brown. In those days most public courses used what the Good Lord made on the fairways. Most of the greens on public courses in that area and that era used a hybrid grass called 328 Tifton which is a hybrid Bermuda. It was somewhat slow but rolled true. Man first time I putted on bent wow!

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

Holy spit - Swartzel just drove the green on 15

This is too cool

I remember those days Stu - we played the course as nature made it - very different from today - today we play the course as the course makes itself out to be - a lot like dating.

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Once again, Tiger is just 2 shots behind the lead........Can he do it on Sunday?

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Lee Westwood + Sean Foley. Would be funny if that resulted in a major in the first tournament :)

It would, but can Westwood finally close the door, especially with Tiger knocking right on it

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Tiger won't win this tournament. Heard it here first

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Looks like the greens are holding today........

My players still left in the tournament on fantasy golf are :

Tiger, Phil, DJ, Els, Scott, and Westwood.

I started: Tiger, DJ, Els, and Scott.

Sorry Lee, I do not think you get it done today. Got lucky on a couple of putts and bounces, yesterday.

One more thing, at what point did the majors become, "Grand Slam Events"?

A "Grand Slam Event" is freaking tennis. A major is, well, a "Major". I think winning a major is overrated but that has nothing to do with using the proper terminology. All week long the media have used the term "Grand Slam Event" and now Golf Channel is also using it.

A "Grand Slam" in golf is winning all four majors. I do not believe that anyone playing, certainly none in contention, is going to complete a "Career Grand Slam." Tiger already has, and Phil also needs the US Open.

OK, rant over. BTW. I see that the greens are holding so whomever can control their the best will win. I think that will be Tiger.

I'm sorry but that is the most ridiculous "local" rule I've ever seen.

If you are within 2 club lengths of a sprinkler head that's within 2 club lengths of a green you get relief?

Really? But we can't allow amatures to use a long putter or square grooves?

I wish I had that one to play under is all I can say.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Didn't see Phil ending his round like that to take the lead. Bravo!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think they should call him "Phil the Conqueror". He conquered Scotland and Britain in, what 10 days? Has not happened since 1066. and it took longer than 10 days.

Congrats Lefty!

You finished with style and perseverance.

I had Tiger, Phil, Westwood, Graeme, and Miguel Angel. Total salary wins. We'll see how it pans out I guess.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Could it please be noted that the final round took 3:50 minutes - about an hour less than the US Open.

Two biggest factors working against the game of golf are cost and time (of course time is a part of the cost.) The USGA talks big about time but seemingly is powerless to help improve it. Just encourage courses to only have two sets of tees out each day - forward and back - make sure the back is way up and presto chango you'd lop twenty minutes to an half an hour off the length of a round.

Oh well great tournament - Murfield came through again - guys can complain until they are blue in the face - this is one course that consistently seperates the wheat from the chaff in regards to producing a champion.

For my taste I'd prefer a course that requires the driver a bit more often but this one works.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

What a sensational day of golf that was. So many guys in contention and then Phil sneaking up on everyone and then scorching the field with a sizzling putter. It was nice that he didn't "back into it" - he went out and took it. Seeing his family with him and hearing the interviews where he gives everyone tons of credit, especially his caddie, makes it easy to root for Phil. I sure hope he gets a US Open and soon.