TESTERS WANTED! ×

Got as High as Kite on a Cigar

BIG STU

Well I have read this thread a lot and have not commented because I don't smoke cigars. Some of the guys I play with do and some of them smell good to me and some of them smell like a burning rope but heck it don't bother me none. I usually tell the you burn your tobacco up and I chew mine up. I have been chewing and dipping since 14 yrs old. I have one playing partner that is a conniseur like you guys and he is in 3 or 4 cigar clubs gets all kinds of cigars. About a week ago we were playing at a course that had cigars in a humidifier in the pro shop priced from $15 to $30. I remarked that if I paid that for one cigar that it better get me higher than a Georgia pine. I will admit in my younger days I did indulge in some left handed Marlboros but I don't anymore. These clowns talked him into giving me a cigar. Good Lord I smoked about half of it and by the 4th hole I could not see the ball much less play. I had to lay off it. Did not get sick though. I think it was a Monte Cristo or a cheap version of it. I am 100% sure it was tobacco and not marichoochie. Just thought I would share with you guys for a laugh. In retrospect respectifully you guys burn yours up I prefer to chew mine up

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Brutha, you sure it was not "Wacky Tabacky"........ ha ha ha

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

You're not supposed to be inhaling it -

As a novice I do notice I will get a buzz if I'm not careful when lighting the thing outdoors. I've also found the physiology behind that - smoking a cigar causes one's blood sugar to drop - eat a candy bar and the buzz goes away...... or don't. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The first time I had a Cuban, it made me a little loopy.............but I also smoked it while I was drinking a 32oz Jack and Coke.

You've got to come down and play this winter when my college roomates are here - we'd have a blast.

They're here often as one is a very successful attorney and the other has a wife who makes over a million a year as an executive in the news industry.

I picked the right roomates. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You're not supposed to be inhaling it -

As a novice I do notice I will get a buzz if I'm not careful when lighting the thing outdoors. I've also found the physiology behind that - smoking a cigar causes one's blood sugar to drop - eat a candy bar and the buzz goes away...... or don't. :)

Thanks Rev! you don't know how well you put that in perspective for me> You really put it in perspective for me. I am borderline diabetic I have low blood sugar but not bad enough to go on meds yet. The low blood sugar is what caused me to have a bad episode a couple of months back and semi retire from the towing business. Now it makes since. I knew darn well it was not no whacky tobacky like I said before I have been known to light a few left handed Marlboros back in my younger days. Thanks again I don't think I am going to take up cigar smoking at my age now but who knows.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The first time I had a Cuban, it made me a little loopy.............but I also smoked it while I was drinking a 32oz Jack and Coke.

Bonsey ROFLMAO you don't think the Jack and Coke had anything to do with it do ya?

G

Nah, couldnt be. :D

Bones, You come down to the Lone Star State for the MGS Open and I guarantee there will be free flowing "Libations" to accompany the game "follow the little white ball"......

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't smoke cigars myself but a buddy of mine helped me snort enough of the smoke to kill a full grown Montana moose.   It was a cold day in Georgia and I had my cart cover on and propane heater going.  Well here comes my buddy who happened to be the golf course manager and asked if I mined if he rode with me today. I said hop on in and let's get er done. I never thought about him smoking a cigar in the cart with me.  Add in the enclosed cart cover and it was on like donkey kong. He tried to blow the smoke out the side flaps but there was enough smoke hovering in there to peel my eyes back and turn my face to a bright shade of yellow. By the third hole I was drunker than red neck at an all night moonshine chugging party.  Ole Mearl looked like he was chewing on his cigar as much as he was smoking it.  That made me even sicker and by the time we hit the back nine, I had overdosed on that stuff. I decided to walk a good bit during the rest of the round as that cold air starting feeling pretty good..   Good on you boys that can hang with those cigar sucking rascals but this ole boy wimped out.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I don't smoke cigars myself but a buddy of mine helped me snort enough of the smoke to kill a full grown Montana moose.   It was a cold day in Georgia and I had my cart cover on and propane heater going.  Well here comes my buddy who happened to be the golf course manager and asked if I mined if he rode with me today. I said hop on in and let's get er done. I never thought about him smoking a cigar in the cart with me.  Add in the enclosed cart cover and it was on like donkey kong. He tried to blow the smoke out the side flaps but there was enough smoke hovering in there to peel my eyes back and turn my face to a bright shade of yellow. By the third hole I was drunker than red neck at an all night moonshine chugging party.  Ole Mearl looked like he was chewing on his cigar as much as he was smoking it.  That made me even sicker and by the time we hit the back nine, I had overdosed on that stuff. I decided to walk a good bit during the rest of the round as that cold air starting feeling pretty good..   Good on you boys that can hang with those cigar sucking rascals but this ole boy wimped out.

I'm the same way Ole Gray, I don't smoke them, but have shared a cart with several that have, that I felt I like I might as well have.   For the record, usually don't mind that at all, I get to enjoy the usually nice aroma of them without the hassles of cutting, lighting and trying to puff on them while hitting a smooth 7 iron...LOL

BTW, I've missed your humor, hope to see you around it a lot 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm the same way Ole Gray, I don't smoke them, but have shared a cart with several that have, that I felt I like I might as well have.   For the record, usually don't mind that at all, I get to enjoy the usually nice aroma of them without the hassles of cutting, lighting and trying to puff on them while hitting a smooth 7 iron...LOL

BTW, I've missed your humor, hope to see you around it a lot 

Rob - It is good to hear from ya pal!   Yea we'll let them old boys smoke them stogies and ride the tide. :D  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I quit smoking 40+ years ago, but I do enjoy a ride along for some secondary smoke!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My cardiologist told me today that on course cigars are now off limits. :(

He said nothing about off course on occasion. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I quit smoking 40+ years ago, but I do enjoy a ride along for some secondary smoke!

I never did smoke cigarettes or cigars for that matter but back in the day when young and wild I have been known to fire up a lefty or two. My Dad was a 2 pack a day smoker and so was my step Mom. My grand Dad got me chewing when I was young so I never smoked. I still dip hey you gotta die from something.

The day I met my running partner Moceiphus he asked if it was ok if he rode with me because he smoked. I told him fine you burn yours up I chew mine up. Been running partners ever since. Smoking does not bother me at all period

G

Back in the days, when I often was in NYC on business, it seems I always had a shopping list from my golf buds for a cigar joint called Nat Shermans.   At one time, I often had to go to Houston.   It seems that when the embargo was placed on Cuba, the government confiscated and stored a significant amount of Cuban tobacco.   The government released that tobacco to domestic cigar producers to use.   One such cigar company and retailer was located in Houston.   On a lark I decided to purchase a package for my golf buds.   Well, it was like buzzards on road kill and they always wanted to know when was I going back to Houston. 

• 3 weeks later...

When I first started smoking cigars I would get a little light headed with certain types.  A spoon full of honey and all was well.  For new smokers I would recommend staying away from cigars with ligero.  Ligero is the top of the tobacco plant that gets all the sun, hence its the strongest.  In general (not always) a Connecticut shade stogie will be on the lighter side of the spectrum. 

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

When I first started smoking cigars I would get a little light headed with certain types. A spoon full of honey and all was well. For new smokers I would recommend staying away from cigars with ligero. Ligero is the top of the tobacco plant that gets all the sun, hence its the strongest. In general (not always) a Connecticut shade stogie will be on the lighter side of the spectrum.

That's very good advice

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 7 months later...

When I first started smoking cigars I would get a little light headed with certain types.  A spoon full of honey and all was well.  For new smokers I would recommend staying away from cigars with ligero.  Ligero is the top of the tobacco plant that gets all the sun, hence its the strongest.  In general (not always) a Connecticut shade stogie will be on the lighter side of the spectrum. 

Well since posting this a couple of years back I have started smoking cigars on the course. It started when I played in the only scramble I play in every year and it is work related which is a story within itself. One of the guys smoked a pipe with the cherry blend pipe tobacco in it and it smelled good. Well a couple of weeks later another buddy of mine was smoking a Swisher cigar with that cherry blend tobacco in it. Now don't you real cigar folks start laughing because the story continues. I got one from him and liked it started smoking them. Enter a friend that I have known for a long time from the same hometown I am from. He just moved here and went to work at my home course. He cracked at me I needed to smoke a "man's cigar" I told him about getting high that time and he said basically the same thing you did. He smokes those 3G brand which are cheap compared to some you guys smoke but I like them. They are also a "Connecticut" wrapper like you spoke of. I did not get high at all and frankly enjoyed it. They have them at a store called Tobacco Market up the street from me. Went up there got me 5 and a cutter. I also read the cigar tutorial on here. while I was at the store I met a gentleman whose hobby is tobacco. He really gave me an education on cigars. I am going to try a "borer" instead of the cutter next because he likes to punch them as he says. I had been cutting them wrong anyhow as the illustration on here shows and I think it leads to them burning too fast. But hey I am a rookie in the cigar world now but learning. I only smoke them on the course adds to my golf enjoyment

G

Well since posting this a couple of years back I have started smoking cigars on the course. It started when I played in the only scramble I play in every year and it is work related which is a story within itself. One of the guys smoked a pipe with the cherry blend pipe tobacco in it and it smelled good. Well a couple of weeks later another buddy of mine was smoking a Swisher cigar with that cherry blend tobacco in it. Now don't you real cigar folks start laughing because the story continues. I got one from him and liked it started smoking them. Enter a friend that I have known for a long time from the same hometown I am from. He just moved here and went to work at my home course. He cracked at me I needed to smoke a "man's cigar" I told him about getting high that time and he said basically the same thing you did. He smokes those 3G brand which are cheap compared to some you guys smoke but I like them. They are also a "Connecticut" wrapper like you spoke of. I did not get high at all and frankly enjoyed it. They have them at a store called Tobacco Market up the street from me. Went up there got me 5 and a cutter. I also read the cigar tutorial on here. while I was at the store I met a gentleman whose hobby is tobacco. He really gave me an education on cigars. I am going to try a "borer" instead of the cutter next because he likes to punch them as he says. I had been cutting them wrong anyhow as the illustration on here shows and I think it leads to them burning too fast. But hey I am a rookie in the cigar world now but learning. I only smoke them on the course adds to my golf enjoyment

I guess them government folks might be on to sumpin. Those cherry smokes are a gateway drug to the hard stuff! :lol:  :lol:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

^^^^^^ LOL you may be correct. I was talking to a tourist golfer the other day who was smoking one and he told me some things about cigars. Now his wife was scowling and said well that was how he started and it was sad I started late in life. I told her I was 60 years old and had been dipping and chewing since I was 8 years old and was not going to live but so long so I might as well enjoy myself---- My only regret is that I had not discovered the pleasures of cigar smoking on the course sooner in life. He chuckled and she really scowled as he puffed away

G

....... the easiest way to cut a cigar with a cutter is to lay the cutter on the table and snip it 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

^^^^^^ LOL you may be correct. I was talking to a tourist golfer the other day who was smoking one and he told me some things about cigars. Now his wife was scowling and said well that was how he started and it was sad I started late in life. I told her I was 60 years old and had been dipping and chewing since I was 8 years old and was not going to live but so long so I might as well enjoy myself---- My only regret is that I had not discovered the pleasures of cigar smoking on the course sooner in life. He chuckled and she really scowled as he puffed away

I hear ya, but everything in moderation leads to a balanced happy life and actually cigar smoking is less hazardous to your health than previously thought. Don't get me wrong using tobacco increases your chances of many health issues, but the previously held belief that cigars were as dangerous as cigarettes was debunked by a study funded by the FDA designed to prove that the risks were similar. According to the study, puffing (not inhaling) 2-4 cigars per week showed no statistically significant increase in any type of cancer. This is not meant to be a debate that smoking of any kind is safe, it isn't! But for those who do enjoy the occasional cigar you can feel a bit better about the FDA's data. Of note is that this data was based on cigars made of 100% tobacco leaves, which would eliminate Swisher and other small cigars that include paper, fillers and other chemicals.

I smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day for 30 years ( I quit 4 years ago), but I never did develop the taste for cigars

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Not to thread jack, but for those looking for a better cut, I should have a new Xikar cutter ( and a couple of lighters) coming in tomorrow for testing and review.

The new XO double Guillotine? I have their V cutter and an Xi1 tribal design. Can't beat their warranty!

Archived