TESTERS WANTED! ×

Which DVD will help my game the most?

BuckeyeMark

I'm a high handicapper who has been playing a little more than a year. Need to make more progress toward breaking 100. Am thinking of purchasing one of these DVD sets that claim they can make my game incredibly good in short order. A couple of caveats:

* I know that real lessons with a real live human being would be far better. Much better. I've actually done some lessons and I get that. But lessons are EXPENSIVE. I have two daughters in college. If you'd like to donate to my lesson fund please do. In the mean time I need to get better on the cheap.

* I am not trying to take on the PGA tour. I'll do that next year. Right now I'd just like to become decent. You guys who regularly shoot 72 (and go home muttering about it) don't know the frustration of a round at 120. That many swings is tiring, and frustrating. I'd just like to play the game without quite so many hacks at the ball. If me and that little white ball could just be on more friendly terms things would be good...

So I'm thinking of trying the DVD route. Did I mention that I know this isn't as good as real lessons? Okay, so help me decide what to get. The current contenders are:

PGA Tour Academy Home Edition - 8 Weeks to a Perfect Swing - $179 (60 day money back guarantee)

http://www.touracademydvds.com/

Moe Norman Single Plane Swing - $59 (one year guarantee)

http://oneplanegolfer.com/secrets/singleplanesolution.php

Jim McClean Building Block approach - $79 (no guarantee that I can see)

http://jimmclean.com/GolfStore/ProductDetail/tabid/1316/rvdsfpid/building-block-approach-online-8/rvdsfcatid/online-downloads-10/Default.aspx

Anybody got something else?

I'm kinda considering ordering all three and then doing a review/write up of them. Maybe one of these will help my game a little!

Sorry, haven't watching those DVD's (or any others), but just curious, how much time do you have to put into playing/practicing? You mentioned you've taken lessons in the past, are there things you already know of that you need to work on based of those previous lessons?

With the advent of the digital age and youtube I'd have a really hard time dropping cash of a DVD lesson system. I have to think your time would be better spent working on a short game or at the range working on the things you covered in your previous lessons.

The reason I asked about how much time you have to play and practice is that no matter which route you choose (DVD's, Lessons, Youtube clips) it won't help unless you can put in the practice time. Again I don't have experience with those DVD's, but for $60-$180 you should be able to get between 1 and 3 lessons with a local PGA pro. I would think a live in-person lesson and practice time would serve you better in the long run than a set of DVD's. Then again we all learn in different ways, I just personally have a hard time watching and then replicating in the golf swing. I need somebody to show me what I'm doing wrong, not just watch what right looks like.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

One way to try and see if you can learn just from someone taking about the golf swing is to look up mark crossfield on YouTube. He does a great of job explaining and offering tips to help your game. At least trying it that way will save you some money just incase watching someone else doesn't help your game.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I did a review of the PGA Tour Home Academy here, you can find it in the reviews. It's very thorough and there's a lot of info. They also have a very high expectation for how much practicing you're going to do. If you really want to commit to that, I would recommend those DVDs.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Thanks for the replies. Here's my thoughts:

* There's a million guys on Youtube with videos. But all the choices make it difficult - who's video to watch? Rory's? Okay, maybe not his. :rolleyes: But seriously - there's a lot of stuff on Youtube. I need something that goes all the way through the game in a systematic way.

* Yes, I could prolly take three lessons for the cost of videos. But am I really going to get better with just three lessons? The old joke about 10 lessons being $10 a piece and 1 lesson being a million dollars applies here. If I really think a guy can fix my game in three lessons I prolly ought to pay for the miracle I'm hoping for! I need more than three lessons and I need something I can go back to again and again as I try to "get it down."

* The other problem with lessons is every instructor has his/her own system. The first thing they tell you is what you're doing is wrong - but that's what the last guy told you! You need to find a guy and stick with him and his method. But I haven't really found that guy. And I don't have the money to keep looking. NEWS FLASH: Golf lessons are PRICEY!

* As far as practice I can play once a week and prolly hit balls twice a week. My work is very putting friendly so I can work a lot at that. I even can hit some balls at work - we have a big carpeted area with a high ceiling so I can hit "whiffle" balls, etc.

* I get the need to practice. The truth is I don't know WHAT or HOW to practice. The PGA video promises a comprehensive practice regimen. That's very attractive to me.

Since I google'd "golf DVDs" all my banner ads on the web are now for "one weird trick that will have you hitting it further and straighter." sigh...

Getting ads for "The Square to Square Method" but the introductory video talks about how "guys our age - in our 60's - need a different swing." um, I'm 48 and am not ready for the senior tour. But if someone recommends this as being awesome for everyone I'll take a look further.

I I think YouTube is such a mixed bag that I would have a hArd time telling someone "just go check YouTube." Mark crossfield is a good guy but he has so many videos and there's no organization to them so you could be there for days. Unless you're looking for a specific guy dealing with a specific topic you're really taking a risk with YouTube, IMO.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Tin Cup

Seriously, watch Tin Cup and read The Plane Truth for Golfers by Jim Hardy. Here is why, first Tin Cup. It will relax you, motivate you, and teach you how stupid it is to continue to try to make the same shot over and over when it is not the best way to play it. Course Management in other words. Phil Mickelson hit a 3 wood 300 yards off the deck yesterday during his win of the Open. You ain't Phil. I ain't Phil. I do not try this shot and neither should you. Unless you expect to move the ball 100 yards down the fairway after you top it.

Now, why on earth would I choose this book, out of all the other books out there? Most golf books and DVD's and even instructors feel that their way is the only way to play golf. I read The Four Magic Moves for Better Golf by Joe Dante and according to him his way is the only way and he spends half the book telling you what not to do and making fun of the instructors that tell you that.

I read The Plane Truth for Golfers based on a conversation in a thread here several months ago. We were talking about it and I could download it on Kindle iPhone app for a couple of $ so I did and started reading it. Hardy acknowledges that there are many methods of having a good golf swing. He talks about a one plane vs a two plane swing. He tells you how to identify which one is right for you and allows you to make your choice. Then after that he tells you how to execute that swing and the pitfalls of it. He also teaches drills to work on based on the swing that you chosen.

His book to me, really helps understand the golf swing. It clears up a lot of confusing information out there. You can watch On the Range on Golf Channel and one week they are saying that Dustin Johnson creates tremendous distance because of the lag he has created at impact, only to watch next week where they say that Zach Johnson stays over the ball at impact and that is the source of his power and accuracy. WTF? How can they have it both ways? Well, they have different swings and therefore have different power sources. The Plane Truth For Golfers really help me understand it more.

I will also say that before reading that book I had worked for over a year trying to have a certain swing. I had decreased my handicap 10 strokes and gained much distance, but it really aggravated a back problem I have. After reading the book, I understood how I could change my swing that did not effect my back problem and not loose the distance or accuracy.

I should also point out that 10 strokes came primarily from the putter. I read Instinct Putting by Eric Alpenfels for that. This method may not be for you but I already did this and had done so for years so the book just taught me some of the nuances of this method.

There are plenty of free videos available on YouTube to reinforce what you read. Also, do not forget you probably have the greatest golf training ever invented. The smart phone. You can download all kinds of apps that let you look at your swing in slow motion. If you have never looked at your swing you will be shocked when you see what your are really doing, compared to what you think you are doing.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Why not of you're going to spend money on something like this, why not go with an instructor that does online lessons, where you send them video and they do it that way? At least then you'd have someone looking at your swing and not you looking at someone else's and trying to figure it out on your own if you're unsure of if you can diagnose yourself.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The Plane truth sounds like a good idea. Have not read it, but should.

also I benefited from Mark Crossfield's videos, and will also chime in by saying, buckeyemark, check them out.

a year is a long time to not break 100. you almost have to play every day for some months to break 100, when starting out. of course some people are Way better to start.

would suggest telling us what are your worst problems ?

most folks just have real basic faults, or try to hit to hard, even without knowing it.

Really appreciate the feedback. Like a lot of what RoverRick says. Gonna look into that book and I do need to putt better. If I could go from 3 putting to 2 putting that is 18 strokes immediately. Prolly don't need a video to figure that out.

Saw Phil hit that three wood twice yesterday. Unbelievable. And I wonder how many Versa putters Odyssey sold today? Come to think of it maybe that's the way I can to get from 3 putting to 2 putting... yeah, that's it. it's not the indian it's the arrow! :P

I know about online lessons but again there is COST. I can buy the PGA Home Academy for $179 (actually, $144 because it's on sale for 20% off). What can you buy in lessons for $144? Not a lot.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record BUT IF I COULD AFFORD REAL LESSONS WITH A HUMAN - ONLINE OR IN PERSON - I WOULD and I wouldn't have started this thread. I know that's the best way to go. And I knew people would recommend them. But there's no way I can afford 8 weeks of lessons which is what I think it'd take MINIMUM to get better. I can't afford two weeks of lessons and that's not even going to get me started.

So ... the next person who recommends real lessons has to make a donation to my lesson fund! :lol:

Meanwhile, let's get back to how to get better ON THE CHEAP. I like books and I love to read but I think a DVD system has some advantages over books and still pictures. Anybody got a recommendation for a good DVD system?

BTW, Yes in 3 lessons, you would be on track to breaking 100.

clearly I'm not taking lessons from the right person! I have had two sets of six lessons from two different instructors. now on a set of five from a third instructor (who is terrible but I prepaid and I'm stuck).

I can't afford more lessons. I have kids in college! Time to do this CHEAPLY.

would suggest telling us what are your worst problems ?

most folks just have real basic faults, or try to hit to hard, even without knowing it.

I only have one fault: when I hit the ball it goes where I hit it. every time. the trouble with that is where I hit it isn't where I want it to go! HA! :D

My golf problems are more than I want to go into here, though I appreciate the offer of help. Just want to keep this thread focused on CHEAP SELF IMPROVEMENT through a DVD of some kind.

One day you'll see a thread titled "Look at this guy having a seizure while swinging a golf club" and you'll know someone took a video of my swing... you can comment on my basic faults there! :)

Mickelsons "Secrets of the short game" is fantastic for chipping and pitching. You do...of course...have to go out and practice it...but it works.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

clearly I'm not taking lessons from the right person! I have had two sets of six lessons from two different instructors. now on a set of five from a third instructor (who is terrible but I prepaid and I'm stuck).

I wonder did the two different instructors teach different methods? I just watched on Golf Channel a deal where Bubba Watson just explained how to keep from slicing the ball. The first two things he said will help promote a slice in most amateurs. That is the problem with the DVD's in my opinion. OF COURSE I HAVE NOT SEEN MOST OF THEM. And is the very reason that promoted the book or any book that helps you understand the cause and effect of the different thing on ball flight.

You teacher is not going to be on the course with you. If you learn the cause and effect on your own when you see the ball do something on the course, you know what you did and can fix it. Without spending another $100.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I can't afford more lessons. I have kids in college! Time to do this CHEAPLY.

Dollars to donuts:

Try either a stronger or weaker grip. (since you didn't say slice or hook)

keep 60%+ of your weight on the left foot.

with the driver, look behind the ball like an inch behind and stay focused. (for a slice)

Dollars to donuts:

Try either a stronger or weaker grip. (since you didn't say slice or hook)

keep 60%+ of your weight on the left foot.

with the driver, look behind the ball like an inch behind and stay focused. (for a slice)

you should make a video! :lol:

Archived