TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing Speed Improvement

Today I was at my local golf shop and was trying to focus on actual swing mechanics and not just hitting it. I tried to really keep my lower body quiet which I know is proper but I never did it. I did this at the range yesterday and I noticed it seemed to go longer but went on a monitor, mainly to confirm swing speed. My average is normally around 93 but I was getting about 96-97 average which I never was able to do. On the monitor it said I was going about 260-270 with my worst shots being at least 250. That's amazing at least for me because I'm normally around 220-230 on the monitors. I know the monitors probably aren't the most accurate but I trust the swing speed numbers so now I need to really work on it.

Hit the gym and strengthen up the core

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I tried to really keep my lower body quiet which I know is proper but I never did it.

Interesting. This is the very reason that swing advice in general and swing advice on the internet especially can be harmful. The fastest swing speed on tour is Bubba Watson, and his lower body is anything but quiet. I, on the other hand, have spent the last several weeks trying to keep the upper body "more quiet" and be more active in the lower body.

Actually, I have been working on starting the back swing with the club head first, then. hands shoulders, body, waist knees all the way down to the feet, then start the down swing with the feet and up and clubhead last. I have gained major distance this way.

However, if by keeping the lower body quiet you mean that you are building more tension between the hips and shoulders then that is great.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 3 months later...

I have been working on the swing and felt like I should share my progress. I have been working on my lag this past week and trying to create a more powerful swing without swinging out of my shoes. I have been seeing some nice improvements. I'm keeping good ball contact, taking some bigger divots (in a good way), keeping dispersion good, and gaining yardage. I'll get the opportunity to play tomorrow so I'll see how these improvements are coming along. 

9 iron

normal carry- 125

new carry- 137-140 slightly uphill

5 iron

normal carry- 165

new carry- 175-180, there was one or two shots that got out past the 180 flag with carry only

4 iron

normal carry- 175

new carry- 190, getting rollout to about 200 but rolling through rough so about 5 yards more in fairway

I'm hoping to keep this up and maybe in the later months to come, improve even more with hard work. 

• 4 months later...

I like to sum up my discovery which I think has totally transformed my game - without boring everybody with the details too much.

I found that it is not how hard or how fast you swing. It is possible to swing and move so fast that you left the club head behind (way too much lag), and the club head never had enough time and space to build up its maximum speed just before or at impact. That had been my problem all these years.

It's all in the technique and timing. Brute force, swinging faster counts for nothing if all that momentum is not transferred to the club head. In my case, I had to focus on releasing early - I start unhinging once I transition from the top.

That works for me, YMMV.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Today I was at my local golf shop and was trying to focus on actual swing mechanics and not just hitting it. I tried to really keep my lower body quiet which I know is proper but I never did it. I did this at the range yesterday and I noticed it seemed to go longer but went on a monitor, mainly to confirm swing speed. My average is normally around 93 but I was getting about 96-97 average which I never was able to do. On the monitor it said I was going about 260-270 with my worst shots being at least 250. That's amazing at least for me because I'm normally around 220-230 on the monitors. I know the monitors probably aren't the most accurate but I trust the swing speed numbers so now I need to really work on it.

There are a lot of factors involved in swing speed. Among them are:

1) Custom Fit Equipment                                                     

2) Strength                   

3) Flexibility

4) Swing Sequence

5) Swing Mechanics

To increase your distance it's really just a matter of systematically checking each of these factors in your game. If you haven't already I would recommend that you get a good driver fitting on a launch monitor with a certified fitter. This will assure you that the weapon you are using is best for your swing. Technology has come so far and it makes a huge jump with drivers it seems every 3-5 years. Do yourself a favor and if you want to knock the ball out there where you are in a position to score, get a good driver and make sure it is custom fit on a launch monitor. It will make a huge difference! There are so many factors involved in getting the right combination of shaft and clubhead to give you the launch angles and spin rates you need for optimum distance that the only way to know for sure if you are in the ball park is to use a launch monitor. 

Once you have been fitted I would try these fitness drills to achieve a higher clubhead speed..

For more strength:

Description: An Iron Cross is a great all over body exercise to help increase strength. It results in more distance for your golf shots. The Iron Cross works the typical muscles of a squat (quadriceps, glutes, hamstrings,etc.) but also is a fantastic exercise for the shoulders and chest. If you are looking for all over power, this exercise is highly recommended. 

Summary:

1.                              Start by selecting dumbbells that you can easily control and that won't affect your balance or ability to maintain good form throughout the exercise. Stand erect holding a dumbbell in each hand and make sure that your feet are shoulder width apart. To begin the exercise raise your arms out to the side keeping them straight until your arms and body form the letter "T". Keep your palms facing forward.

2.                              Next, perform a typical squat by bending your knees and keeping them behind your toes. Make sure your rear end works backwards. At the same time as you squat, bring your arms together in front of your chest so that your palms face each other.

3.                              Finish by standing up and straightening your legs. You will now form the letter "T" again at the top.

4.                              Perform 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions. Go down to the count of 3 and up to the count of one. Gradually increase weight each week if possible.

Description: The Plank Knee to Elbow brings in movement forcing the body to stabilize while moving into different positions. The base of support is changing which adds a good challenge. This is a great exercise for dynamic stability and to get your heart rate going. All plank exercises help strengthen the muscles of your core and upper body adding power to your golf swing. 

Summary:

1.                              Start by putting your self in a traditional plank position. This is simply a push up position with straight arms shoulder width apart or slightly outside. Make sure your body is in a straight line from your feet to your head. Be careful not to sag down or push up from your pelvis.

2.                              Start on one side by bending your knee sticking it to the outside and bringing it up to touch your elbow on the same side. If you can't touch the elbow, just get as close as you can. Then do the other side. A variation of this is to cross the knee over to the opposite elbow.

3.                              Start by doing 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions per side. As your strength increases week to week increase the number of repetitions that you do. When you bring your knee up be sure to pause for a second before straightening your leg back down.

Description: The Golf Stance Thoracic Rotation is a fantastic pre game warmup exercise. It works to teach proper hip stabilization while also working on trunk rotation and range of motion. All of these combined greatly benefit your pivot and coil in your golf swing on both the backswing and the downswing. 

Summary:

1.                              Start off by standing in your golf stance with a golf club across your chest. Cross your arms over the club to hold it against your body.

2.                              Keeping your hips still rotate your shoulders back and hold for a second and then rotate them forward and hold for a second. It is important to remain in your golf posture throughout the exercise and not let yourself lift up.

3.                              Perform 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions on each side. As you progress and get stronger week to week you can add repetitions.

Description: The Front Step Up is a unilateral exercise to build strength in the lower body. It can be used as a quadricep dominant exercise by raising the heel or used as a complete lower body exercise. It builds balance and speed while teaching you how to control compensations, especially in weight transfer adding to stabillity and power to your golf swing. 

Summary:

1.                              For the front step up you will need a step or a box. The height can vary, but start with only a foot or two and see how you do. Start by standing erect with your shoulders back, chest out and face forward. Your feet should be a comfortable hip width and you should be standing facing the box or step.

2.                              Taking one foot, bend your knee and step up onto the step. Extend that leg until it is straight. Step down and repeat the exercise. Step up to the count of one, pause and then slowly lower down to the count of 3.

3.                              Start by performing 3 sets of 8-10 reps on each side. As you get stronger and the weeks progress try a taller box or step. You can also add weight by holding dumbbells.

For more flexibility:

Description: Fire Hydrants are a core strength and stability exercise that works on trunk control and separation of the upper and lower body during rotational movements. This is obviously very useful when it comes to making a proper coil and pivot in the golf swing. The more we separate the upper and lower body the more coil/power we generate. 

Summary:

1.                              Begin by getting down on your hands and knees on the floor or a pad. Keep your back straight and your knees at a 90 degree angle.

2.                              Keeping one knee on the ground raise the other knee up and then raise your leg out to the side. Just like a dog peeing on a fire hydrant. Next, kick your leg out straight. Note that kicking the leg out is an added variation.

3.                              Finally, bend your knee again and slowly lower your leg to the floor.

4.                              Perform 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions on each side. Go up on the count of 2, hold for 1 and lower for 2. Try to increase repetitions as weeks pass and you get stronger. To increase strength as you get better with this exercise an ankle weigh can be strapped around your calf.

Description: For golfers looking for flexibility and stability especially in their core and back, the Cat and Camel is perfect. It is also a great stretching exercise and wonderful at loosening a tight lower back. Your lower back, abdominals and hips will all get a great work out with this exercise which makes it perfect for the golf swing. 

Summary:

1.                              Start by getting down on all fours (your hands and knees) on the ground or on a pad. Place your palms flat on the floor shoulder width apart. Keep your knees about hip width apart.

2.                              Inhale in and arch your back while your head drops down between your shoulders.

3.                              As you exhale let your back sway down while your rear end raises up towards the ceiling.

4.                              Go up and hold for 10 seconds and then go down and hold for 10 seconds. Do 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions and gradually increase reps each week as you build strength.

Description: Birddogs despite their silly name are one of the most popular exercises in the rehab world for it's simplicity and effectiveness in teaching trunk control especially with back patients. It helps to teach proper positioning of the lumbar spine an forces stabilization while support is taken away. Birddogs will also teach unilateral stabilization, balance between the sides, mobility coordination and more. It also has the added benefits of improving flexibility and strength as well. When all is said and done Birddogs can go a long way to help you with posture and balance throughout your golf swing. 

Summary:

1.                              Start off by getting down on your hands and knees with your hands shoulder width apart and your knees hip width apart. Make sure to keep your core firm and your back straight.

2.                              Begin by straightening one arm out in front of you keeping it in line with your trunk. Simultaneously kick the opposite leg out extending it behind you.

3.                              Perform 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions on each side. Hold at the top for 10 seconds. As the weeks progress and you get stronger try holding for longer or/and increasing your repetitions.

When it comes to technique these are the most important ones for power:

Set up: With modern day 460cc driver heads you need to tee the ball with at least half of the ball above the top edge of the face. It is best if you have a proper swing to tee it even higher. Place the ball at your front armpit or further forward. There is no definitive answer here because your swing plane and angle of attack will determine what is best for you. In most cases opposite your front armpit or the instep of your front foot is ideal. Set your stance square to your target line and the width should be slightly outside your shoulders. I'm not sure if research has been done to prove this is best, but for most who are swinging hard, a slightly wider stance than usual provides a more solid base for balance. Tilt your shoulders a little more to your rear side than you would with an iron and allow 60-70% of your weight to rest on your back foot. Let your hands simply hang down and fall where they may. This will often be behind the ball which will make for a wider arc in the backswing generating more power. Do not force them forward over the ball as it will change your weight and your alignment.

Swing Arc: To generate a lot of rotational force and thus club head speed keep a wide arc in the backswing. Everyone has heard the old wives tale of "keep your left arm straight". The right arm is really the culprit here. Your left arm wants to stay straight and function as a lever, but when the right arm pulls in, it forces the left arm to break at the top of the swing.      Try pushing your right arm out away from your body as you swing to the top of the backswing.

Swing Path: Setting up and staying behind the ball with your head and upper spine will help achieve an inside/out swing path coming into the ball. This will produce a high launch with a bit of a draw and top spin allowing the ball to release and roll a bit. Tons of students come to me hitting down on their tee shots from the outside causing the ball to cut or slice with backspin and robbing themselves of 30-50 yards.

Release: Release the club head as late as possible. You want to pull the club, not push it to the ball. The club head will get there merely because of centrifugal force. You don't need to help it! Store your power and let it unleash at the very last minute.

Swing sequence: Kinematic sequence is the order in which your body parts fire. To achieve maximum distance you want your hips to fire first and as they slow your shoulders with then accelerate. As your shoulders start to slow, your arms hands will take over and fire causing the club head to release. Having these body parts firing out of order can slow things down and cause a huge loss of distance.

Nice summary thanks and welcome. BTW I do some of those exercises regularly. Learned them from my friend who's a PT. Still could use some distance for sure. :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived