Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

10 Worst Jobs In Golf?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

We are thinking of doing an article on the 10 worst jobs in golf and thought you guys could help us come up with a good list to cover for the piece.

So what do you think the worst job in golf is?

#TruthDigest

Guy driving the car that picks up the balls on the range, or whom ever is cleaning the bathrooms, but that's in any job!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Tiger's Agent (November 2009 - Current)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Sounds like the job description for many asst. pros.

Guy driving the car that picks up the balls on the range, or whom ever is cleaning the bathrooms, but that's in any job!!

#TruthDigest

Locker Room attendant at a posh private club

Asst. Golf Pro.

Independent Sales rep for Macgregor, Nickent, Slazenger....

and, of course, Sales Manager at one of the largest on course pro shops in the US. ;)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Being the ranger at a resort course. You're instructed by your superiors to keep up pace of play, but you've got customers who've spent a lot of money to golf, whether they're good or not. Being successful as a ranger is tough, you're always walking a fine line between firm and friendly.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Green fixer at my local muni. Divot tools are not real well understood here I guess.

That, or it is the best job because it is done by drinking more coffee with the starter (ie. not done at all...) ;)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Couple:

Any of the major jobs (starter, marshal, etc) at a $30 muni that is 15minutes away from everything.

Being in charge of the course at a private club where the average handicap is 21 and the average age is 3xs that. My apologies to the older gentlemen on this board but it just seems that most of the 60 year old set can never be truly satisfied. Wisdom and age being related is never an absolute.

The diver that is paid to fetch balls from the bottom of the water hazards.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I ran into one of these guys at TPC Myrtle...he was hauling out bags that must have weighed over 100 pounds each. It didn't seem like such a bad job except that he was worried about snakes.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

The Goose poop cleaner has to really be a bad job. Unless I am wrong, you can't kill them, only scare them off, they attack you, and destroy greens!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Being the ranger at a resort course. You're instructed by your superiors to keep up pace of play, but you've got customers who've spent a lot of money to golf, whether they're good or not. Being successful as a ranger is tough, you're always walking a fine line between firm and friendly.

I agree Matt but that's the price you pay when you take the job for the free golf. ;)

I think the assistant pro has the worst job in golf. He's basically a clerk who rarely gets to play. On his off days he wants nothing to do with golf.

Semper Fi

My Club

I was gonna post this one.

Most of these guys have to go in blind with no lights and just feel around in the mud and muck. It's not uncommon for them to have multiple snake bites at any given time.

I've done this as part of being an entry level golf assistant, and there is definitely an art to doing it well. I honestly think I was masterful at it. I considered it both a challenge, and a success, to be able to do the job of keeping play moving while not upsetting, ticking off, or hassling the golfers.

Oh...and my opinion of the worst job in golf is that of entry level golf assistant. In that job, you've got to do just about all the other "bad jobs", work long -- early and late -- hours, and get paid next to nothing.

When I entered the golf assistant ranks years ago, I went from making a decent income (at the time and age) of $30k-$40k, to making just under $12,000 a year. Yes....you heard that right -- under $12k. I'd have to be at work at anywhere from 4:30am to 5:30am, and work as late on some days to 9-9:30pm. No, those weren't open to close days...but really, when you have to be there that early on Mon to open, if you got off at 9:30 the night before, you were too tired to do anything with that off time. Those are long, hard days and times.

As an entry level assistant, you're still pulling carts, cleaning them, repairing them, and doing all the rest of things the high school cart boys are doing. Plus, you're expected to do all the other stuff a pro does -- and still look clean doing it. You're still picking the range, cleaning range balls, cleaning clubs, being a ranger, and taking all the real bad complaints and griping from the members -- they know they can get away with doing it to you.

Only reason anyone does it is because they're in love with the game, and the dream of the profession. The others know that...and treat you, and pay you, accordingly.

Umm, shoot me please, that sounds like slave wages!

It is. I worked as an assistant for 5 years..... Poorest years of my life.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Hard to believe, especially under the labor laws about overtime and all.

A tough job in golf can be the Golf Provider, when you get a week of rain in prime time golf season, moving people, groups, rain checks, has to drive them insane!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Assistant Pro, as mentioned a few times, I had to do several of the other "worst jobs" listed when I held that position.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Assistant Pro, easily.

Most of them make $20K-$25K a year and work at least 60 hours a week and open the shop.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Archived