TESTERS WANTED! ×

Greatest Blade Irons of All Time

BIG STU

I am not going to do a poll because I realize there are a bunch of different age groups on here and guys like RP ,Kimbrell,Rev and myself have been playing longer than a lot of you and some of the clubs we have hit some of you have never seen much less hit. This is for pure forged blades Heres My top 5

1-- Mizuno MP-33

2 Power Bilt Citation 66-67 models

3- Spalding Top Flite Bird on Ball 66 67 models

4- Macgregor VIP 70 model

5- Macgregor Colorchrome custom circa 75-77

I know I am a Macgregor man but this is really my honest opinion for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Mp33

Titleist tour model

Patti berg

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I like this thread a lot. I'm going Ram Tour Grind gold simply because they were the one and only set of blades that I ever owned but that being said I played them from 78 to 84 - after that it was Ping Eye 2's for 15 plus years.

I'm glad RP mentioned Wilsons because some form of Wilson Staff was the dominant club when I was young.

Oh and both sets had a 2 iron. :)

And I could hit the you know what out of the Ram one. :) :) :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sorry your all wrong :). If this was the best blade today in the mainstream market then yep probably mizuno but of all time? Nope sorry.

The greatest blades of all time are either the Maruman 41cx Conductor or the Hogan Apex; I'd put the Macgregor VIP's in there as well.

I've played mizuno and Wilson blades in the past, cleveland and bridgestone more recently - none of them come close to the Marumans or Hogans. Mizuno in my very humble opinion are good but frankly a bit over priced and over rated.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Mizuno MP-14, Mizuno MP-33. I love my Mizuno MS-801s too. Theyre thin like butter knives (not even really musclebacks, their just razor thin) but they feel amazing when you hit it solid.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Those Wilson Staff Fg-59s were something else.

And, speaking of Staff Dynapower Fluid Feels Richard... I was at 2ndSwing yesterday and saw THIS in nearly mint condition. I need to resist trading something in for them, but I might have to give in.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Adams MB2

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

A friend of mine in our swat plays these and he can make em dance(+2). He was Mizzy in the past however he hit the MB1s, bagged em, then got a set of these offa the van and they've been in his bag ever since.

Great Call!

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I hope adams makes a mb3. I also would love to see the cobra amp cell pros in a full MB set

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'll come out of lurking to post in this topic. I've owned three sets of Walter Hagen Haig Ultra's, the last set being the Crenshaw Grind version from 1989. All are great blades.

But for me, the best set of blades were the 1977 Hogan Apex. I still have the full set, one iron through Equalizer. And I have a set of Hogan blades in the bag now.... The 1999 Hogans. If I ever buy a modern set it will probably be Mizunos.

Dude, those Dynapowers are Beautiful!!

The one thing that sucks is that they have True Temper Tour Concept shafts, and after hitting a bunch of shots against a set of FG Tour V2s like mine, I would really want to reshaft them with regular Dynamic Golds or KBS Tours.

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

I like this thread a lot. I'm going Ram Tour Grind gold simply because they were the one and only set of blades that I ever owned but that being said I played them from 78 to 84 - after that it was Ping Eye 2's for 15 plus years.

I'm glad RP mentioned Wilsons because some form of Wilson Staff was the dominant club when I was young.

Oh and both sets had a 2 iron. :)

And I could hit the you know what out of the Ram one. :) :) :)

My friend that I grew up with and have played golf with for 40 years or so has played Ram Tour grinds for years I scrounged him up 2 sets a few years ago finally he has worn all of them out and about 6 months ago switched to Bridgestone J-33 combos. When he first started playing his dad bought him a set of Bristols which were made by Ram from my Dad and since the 70s he had always played the Ram Tour Blades. Not knocking them but I never could hit them but he hated Spaldings and MacGregors also so different strokes for different folks. Wilson had a strong dominance in the Charlotte NC area when I was growing up and had a distribution warehouse there for all their athletic equipment. My old man was a Macgregor man and then went with Wilson when his buddy the sales rep switched to Wilson. He also liked Spalding because at the time they had the best custom and forging dept in the golf industry

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'll come out of lurking to post in this topic. I've owned three sets of Walter Hagen Haig Ultra's, the last set being the Crenshaw Grind version from 1989. All are great blades.

But for me, the best set of blades were the 1977 Hogan Apex. I still have the full set, one iron through Equalizer. And I have a set of Hogan blades in the bag now.... The 1999 Hogans. If I ever buy a modern set it will probably be Mizunos.

I always liked the Hogan equalizer wedges in fact I still have a couple I preferred them over anything but the spalding elite 10 iron at one time I was carrying Top Flite Irons and Hogan wedges Even though I liked the Hogan wedges I never cared for the rest of the irons

G

Mine are hands down TN87's followed by MP33's (had 3 sets of 33's and 2 sets of 87's). Then there's a set of 681T's I loved (only had 1 set of those). Miura Tourney Blades are 4th for me.

But yeah, the TN87's? Nothing touches them. Oh, and Richard, you forgot one other detail that never made it to the 29's... The copper underlay. I can get my hands on a set of pretty mint 87's now... But I'm more GI now lol and scared to try

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The greatest set if irons I've ever bought for $50. 1983 H&B Powerbilt Momentum

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

Ok I have been thinking about This for a while. I'm only going to go with blades I have owned and bagged

1. Hogan Apex PC's

2. KZG ZO's

3. Mizuno MP32: if you can call it a blade because of the cut muscle. Maybe this can start a huge argument like Rover's 2 iron. :lol:

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

For me the #1 all time was my Cleveland Tour Action 588 blades- they were gunmetal black that i let rust to bits. Still have the 8 iron frm the set- I guess the rest went for tomato takes. #2 would be the hogan apex- I had a set in 98 or 99 maybe and freaking loved them- #3 were my set of don white custom blades- I played awesome with them but were worth way more to someone else. I still have a set of brand new hogan heads that were hand ground and tungsten weighted for hank kuehne. One of these days I'll shaft them up, grip em, and hang em on the wall!

Mine are hands down TN87's followed by MP33's (had 3 sets of 33's and 2 sets of 87's). Then there's a set of 681T's I loved (only had 1 set of those). Miura Tourney Blades are 4th for me.

But yeah, the TN87's? Nothing touches them. Oh, and Richard, you forgot one other detail that never made it to the 29's... The copper underlay. I can get my hands on a set of pretty mint 87's now... But I'm more GI now lol and scared to try

The MacGregor Colorkromes also had a copper inlay and some of the custom "Tour Blades" had that also. I have a set of Colorkromes and a set of custom Tour Blades. The Tour Blades came straight out of the custom grind department and except for the markings look like the Colorkromes. Do not know the history on that particular set of Tour Blades I picked them up at a yard sale some years ago and the lady running the sale said that they were some her late husband had laying around with about 100 other clubs so I have no idea who they were built for

G

1. Tie: Fourteen FH-1000 and Epon AF Tour Premiums

2. Mizuno MP-33's

3. First set of NIKE Blades made for Tiger.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Have a great time at the Texas Open! :)

This sucks but I can't go. We had to change the date and it is a weekend that my wife is already out of town at a conference. My boys just stayed with their grandparents for a week so I'm not gonna pawn them off on somebody. I'll get in next time.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

• 6 years later...

Folks, this is my first post. In 1980 at the age of 16, I purchased Staff Tour Blades with True Temper Dynamic R Shafts with the 2 iron and SW. The irons felt like you were hitting a soft rubber "super ball" when you hit them pure.  I played these clubs until 2000, when I caved to PingEye 2. The Pings gave better consistency on off center hits, but never felt as good as the Wilsons.

I just got a used set of Mizuno MP30 with R300. They too have a great feel when you hit them pure, but I think the Staff Tour Blads were softer. I love the feel of blades, and the Mizuno gives me the forgiveness, but lack the workability that the Staff Blades provided. Have you all seen the new Wilson Blades? Nice!!!

This thread definitely deserves a re-start.

Ram Tour Grinds for sure@revkev
Original Nike Blades
Mizuno MP29

Of course there are more but these three are

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1954-57 Ben Hogan Precision’s and the follow-up 1958-59 Saber. The design is still copied today by blade manufacturers.

P1100079.jpg

P1090946.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

The first set I brought myself was a set of Ben Hogans and I remember them being great,  until they were stolen 😥 I've also really enjoyed the Mp-4s, although currently playing a cavity back. Whenever my game gets in the slumps I switch back to a blade because I know when I'm striking it well with a blade again a cb will be money. 

a. Iron specs (Kbs Tour C-Taper 125 S+ Standard L/L) 

b. Driver specs (Titleost 913 D2 Oban Kiyoshi Black 05 Flex 45" )

c. Dexterity (Right)

d. Where You Live (El Paso, Tx)

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score (1.8 GHIN) 

Looks and feel are probably the two most over used and useless words used to describe a Golf Club. So I’ll say without a doubt my current Mizuno 919 Forged Tour irons are the best clubs I’ve ever owned. For just looks my Mizuno MP5s take home the trophy. Strictly feel goes to the set stolen from the trunk of my car; Mizuno MP37s.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

On 7/27/2013 at 10:22 AM, Sluggo42 said:

Mp33

Titleist tour model

Patti berg

Which Patti Bergs? The Goodwill by my house has a full set (looks like new condition) of Patti Berg Cup Defenders. Wooden woods and all.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

• 3 years later...

Wilson staff blades are sneaky good. Probably a misinformed opinion but I feel that if you find a set of blades, regardless of age (within reason), you like it’s hard to find another. The Mizuno MP-32’s are gold for me.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test