Sign in to follow this  
BIG STU

Greatest Blade Irons of All Time

Our Sponsors

I am not going to do a poll because I realize there are a bunch of different age groups on here and guys like RP ,Kimbrell,Rev and myself have been playing longer than a lot of you and some of the clubs we have hit some of you have never seen much less hit. This is for pure forged blades Heres My top 5

1-- Mizuno MP-33

2 Power Bilt Citation 66-67 models

3- Spalding Top Flite Bird on Ball 66 67 models

4- Macgregor VIP 70 model

5- Macgregor Colorchrome custom circa 75-77

I know I am a Macgregor man but this is really my honest opinion for me

I like this thread a lot. I'm going Ram Tour Grind gold simply because they were the one and only set of blades that I ever owned but that being said I played them from 78 to 84 - after that it was Ping Eye 2's for 15 plus years.

I'm glad RP mentioned Wilsons because some form of Wilson Staff was the dominant club when I was young.

Oh and both sets had a 2 iron. :)

And I could hit the you know what out of the Ram one. :) :) :)

Sorry your all wrong :). If this was the best blade today in the mainstream market then yep probably mizuno but of all time? Nope sorry.

The greatest blades of all time are either the Maruman 41cx Conductor or the Hogan Apex; I'd put the Macgregor VIP's in there as well.

I've played mizuno and Wilson blades in the past, cleveland and bridgestone more recently - none of them come close to the Marumans or Hogans. Mizuno in my very humble opinion are good but frankly a bit over priced and over rated.

Miura 1957 baby blades

Miura Tournament blades

Mizuno MP68

And hopefully Mizuno MP4

Mizuno MP-14, Mizuno MP-33. I love my Mizuno MS-801s too. Theyre thin like butter knives (not even really musclebacks, their just razor thin) but they feel amazing when you hit it solid.

Those Wilson Staff Fg-59s were something else.

And, speaking of Staff Dynapower Fluid Feels Richard... I was at 2ndSwing yesterday and saw THIS in nearly mint condition. I need to resist trading something in for them, but I might have to give in.

A friend of mine in our swat plays these and he can make em dance(+2). He was Mizzy in the past however he hit the MB1s, bagged em, then got a set of these offa the van and they've been in his bag ever since.

Great Call!

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I hope adams makes a mb3. I also would love to see the cobra amp cell pros in a full MB set

I'll come out of lurking to post in this topic. I've owned three sets of Walter Hagen Haig Ultra's, the last set being the Crenshaw Grind version from 1989. All are great blades.

But for me, the best set of blades were the 1977 Hogan Apex. I still have the full set, one iron through Equalizer. And I have a set of Hogan blades in the bag now.... The 1999 Hogans. If I ever buy a modern set it will probably be Mizunos.

Dude, those Dynapowers are Beautiful!!

The one thing that sucks is that they have True Temper Tour Concept shafts, and after hitting a bunch of shots against a set of FG Tour V2s like mine, I would really want to reshaft them with regular Dynamic Golds or KBS Tours.

I like this thread a lot. I'm going Ram Tour Grind gold simply because they were the one and only set of blades that I ever owned but that being said I played them from 78 to 84 - after that it was Ping Eye 2's for 15 plus years.

I'm glad RP mentioned Wilsons because some form of Wilson Staff was the dominant club when I was young.

Oh and both sets had a 2 iron. :)

And I could hit the you know what out of the Ram one. :) :) :)

My friend that I grew up with and have played golf with for 40 years or so has played Ram Tour grinds for years I scrounged him up 2 sets a few years ago finally he has worn all of them out and about 6 months ago switched to Bridgestone J-33 combos. When he first started playing his dad bought him a set of Bristols which were made by Ram from my Dad and since the 70s he had always played the Ram Tour Blades. Not knocking them but I never could hit them but he hated Spaldings and MacGregors also so different strokes for different folks. Wilson had a strong dominance in the Charlotte NC area when I was growing up and had a distribution warehouse there for all their athletic equipment. My old man was a Macgregor man and then went with Wilson when his buddy the sales rep switched to Wilson. He also liked Spalding because at the time they had the best custom and forging dept in the golf industry

I'll come out of lurking to post in this topic. I've owned three sets of Walter Hagen Haig Ultra's, the last set being the Crenshaw Grind version from 1989. All are great blades.

But for me, the best set of blades were the 1977 Hogan Apex. I still have the full set, one iron through Equalizer. And I have a set of Hogan blades in the bag now.... The 1999 Hogans. If I ever buy a modern set it will probably be Mizunos.

I always liked the Hogan equalizer wedges in fact I still have a couple I preferred them over anything but the spalding elite 10 iron at one time I was carrying Top Flite Irons and Hogan wedges Even though I liked the Hogan wedges I never cared for the rest of the irons

Mine are hands down TN87's followed by MP33's (had 3 sets of 33's and 2 sets of 87's). Then there's a set of 681T's I loved (only had 1 set of those). Miura Tourney Blades are 4th for me.

But yeah, the TN87's? Nothing touches them. Oh, and Richard, you forgot one other detail that never made it to the 29's... The copper underlay. I can get my hands on a set of pretty mint 87's now... But I'm more GI now lol and scared to try

The greatest set if irons I've ever bought for $50. 1983 H&B Powerbilt Momentum

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

Ok I have been thinking about This for a while. I'm only going to go with blades I have owned and bagged

1. Hogan Apex PC's

2. KZG ZO's

3. Mizuno MP32: if you can call it a blade because of the cut muscle. Maybe this can start a huge argument like Rover's 2 iron. :lol:

For me the #1 all time was my Cleveland Tour Action 588 blades- they were gunmetal black that i let rust to bits. Still have the 8 iron frm the set- I guess the rest went for tomato takes. #2 would be the hogan apex- I had a set in 98 or 99 maybe and freaking loved them- #3 were my set of don white custom blades- I played awesome with them but were worth way more to someone else. I still have a set of brand new hogan heads that were hand ground and tungsten weighted for hank kuehne. One of these days I'll shaft them up, grip em, and hang em on the wall!

Mine are hands down TN87's followed by MP33's (had 3 sets of 33's and 2 sets of 87's). Then there's a set of 681T's I loved (only had 1 set of those). Miura Tourney Blades are 4th for me.

But yeah, the TN87's? Nothing touches them. Oh, and Richard, you forgot one other detail that never made it to the 29's... The copper underlay. I can get my hands on a set of pretty mint 87's now... But I'm more GI now lol and scared to try

The MacGregor Colorkromes also had a copper inlay and some of the custom "Tour Blades" had that also. I have a set of Colorkromes and a set of custom Tour Blades. The Tour Blades came straight out of the custom grind department and except for the markings look like the Colorkromes. Do not know the history on that particular set of Tour Blades I picked them up at a yard sale some years ago and the lady running the sale said that they were some her late husband had laying around with about 100 other clubs so I have no idea who they were built for

1. Tie: Fourteen FH-1000 and Epon AF Tour Premiums

2. Mizuno MP-33's

3. First set of NIKE Blades made for Tiger.