TESTERS WANTED! ×

Help, I am wedge challenged. Anything fantastic out there?

Sluggo42

I use 15 year old vokeys.

Are they still relevant? Or are there better wedges made nowadays?

Been outta the game for 10 years, so I missed out on any new stuff...

Also, with my jpx825 pro's, there is a large gap between my jpx gap, and my vokey 56* sand

Would it be reasonable to go to a 54* SW?

Thanks for the thoughts guys...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I like the Nike forged wedges but the new Mack daddy's are interesting me

What's the loft of the jpx gap wedge?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The gap wedge for a Mizuno MP825 Pros is 50*. More importantly your 9 iron is 40, PW is 45 and GW is 50. So a sand wedge of 55 and 60 seem like it would be symmetrical. However, Scor suggest no more than a 4* gap. And often a 60* wedge is a lot of angle for most people.

So you can try a 54* and 58* or 55* and 60*. As far as brands go that is a matter of choice. There are tons of good ones. I currently bag Mizuno wedges, but I tested out a 58* Taylormade ZTP yesterday with a KBS Hi Rev shaft. I was utterly amazed at how good it was and was not expecting that at all. I loved the shaft which I expected to, and the head which I was not.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Thanks Rick, 50* gap. I think that a 55 and a 60 would be good choices.

Actually, I want the KBS shafts so I have KBS throughout.

I have about a 20 yd diff between the jpx gap and the vokey 56* SW. They jpx has a KBS, I don't know if that contributes. The vokey have 300's

It's not a big problem as I can just grip down a hair on the gapper, but a 55* with like 10-12 bounce sounds good. I kinda need to keep a 60 for all the reasons you need one... B)

There's a lot to choose from but I personally use vokeys

I know! That's why it's so hard for me to imagine something else. But I know there are other good ones. I just don't know what they are.

I'm beginning to wonder if any of them would be good as long as it has a KBS attached to it.

The biggest difference you will find with a new wedge vs your 15 yr old Vokey's are the grooves. The newer grooves don't spin quite as much as the older ones. It's not a huge difference, but if you are a spin wedge player that likes the ball to check up quick it might take a little getting used to.

That being said there are so many great wedges out right now it's almost hard to go wrong. Just about every manufacturer has a pretty decent line of wedges and unless you are going with a smaller boutique company like Scor, Scratch or JP they are pretty close in price as well. As with most clubs you should look around and find something you like visually with the loft and bounce you like and then try it out and see how it feels.

FWIW I also go from 50° gap to a 56° and then 60°. I haven't really had too many issue with gapping though. You just need to figure out how to hit half and 3/4 swing shots and see how far they go. A great way to practice this on the range is to think of a clock where the address position is 6 o'clock. Start by taking your backswing to 9 o'clock and see how far the ball goes. Then work your way up to 12 o'clock. You'll get a really good idea of how far you can hit each wedge in your bag and should eliminate a lot of the distance gap between your 50 and 56.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I went with the Vokey Spin Mill 4's. I bought new irons this year and my P wedge that came with the set was 46*. I went with 50*, 54* and 58* wedges. I got some good advice from the better players on this forum. So far, they are serving me well.

What shafts on those spin mill's?

I love my KBS shafts now-a-days...

I vote to go look at and hit as many as you like and then once you get it narrowed down to a few, get fitted and go with what works best and fixes gaps the best.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

OK, I gave the company line in the above statement. And I used to subscribe to this thinking. Everything I read said to have even gaps in the wedges. This is a theory that I believed and practiced for many years. However, lately I have realized that I do not believe that is the best for me any longer. The may be a minor thread jack but not intended as such.

For years, I was not the best shot maker out there and did not hit a whole lot of GIR. Subsequently, I used a lot of partial shots and wedges. At one time I carried a 48, 52, 56, 60 and a 64 wedge. I used them all during the round and was quite good with them. I also, felt that any shot outside of 200 yards was as likely to yield trouble as a birdie opportunity so I sacrificed the longer clubs to carry more wedges.

As my ball striking has improved I have found that I hit more GIR and use the wedges less and less. Lately, I have been experimenting with what wedge I need and what wedges I do not.

I have found that the 52 (actually a 51 in my case) is a must. My pitching wedge is now a 46* and this and the 52 are the only ones that I make a full swing with. Also, I find that on the partial shots now, the distance is not as important to me as it used to be. I subscribed to the Pelz system of 3 or 4 shots for every wedge and changing wedges based on the shot length.

Now I find that I am more concerned with how I want the ball to travel. More roll than flight I may pitch with an 8 iron. My go to shot is a pitch with a little roll out, so this is the 51* wedge. Also I want another wedge to hit when I want no roll. I am pretty happy with my 51 and my KBS Wedge shaft.

I am searching for the perfect wedge now for the other slot. Earlier today, I mounted a 58* Scratch wedge on a DG Spinner shaft. I am having to use a 64 and hitting it really hard to impart enough spin to stop it on our really fast and hard greens and continue to swap this out for the 3 wood. I like the idea of having a 3 wood for off the tee but it is really unneeded and I can use the 2 iron (18* FLI HI).

The reason I was so surprised with the TMag ZTP and the KBS Hi Rev shaft was because it really seemed to spin more on the three shots I made with it. I have not noticed that much spin before on my 56* that had the DG Spinner. I have a Scratch 58* and put it on the Spinner today and if it does not make the ball dance tomorrow I will be getting the KBS Hi Rev.

So what I want is a club to pitch with that gives it lots of run, one with a little and one with none. I do not attempt the flop shot much because a mistake with it is very costly. Too short and you are right where you were, too long and you are not any better than some other pitch. Also a thin hit often leaves you just as far on the other side of the green as you were the first time. My philosophy on this is that you can make a putt from anywhere on the green so use a safer shot and simply get it on the green.

So there are my thoughts. As far as brands of wedges, I am very interested in the Mack Daddy 2 wedges but the Mizuno, Scratch, Scor, Callaway and even the Vokeys look good. I would be happy with any of these. I am a big fan of forged clubs but have a lot of Titleist wedges and they are really good. I have do not like Cleveland but I can not say why.

I vote to go look at and hit as many as you like and then once you get it narrowed down to a few, get fitted and go with what works best and fixes gaps the best.

Get fitted for a wedge? Seriously?

This ain't a driver.... :blink:

Get fitted for a wedge? Seriously?

This ain't a driver.... :blink:

I would get fitted for every club in the bag. That way you could tune your specs to suite your game. It's one less variable you have to worry about when on the course at least.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Basically, I think a 54 instead of the 56 will do the trick. I want new ish clubs with a KBS shaft.

My green side wedge use is :

8 iron -bump and long run

Pw- bump and medium run

60*- tight pins and trouble

I want a little longer SW for the 120 and in., instead of 110 and in.

I pretty much use any of them for all the shorter stuff, depending on lie and obstacles.

What does a good fitting for a wedge cost?

I would get fitted for every club in the bag. That way you could tune your specs to suite your game. It's at least one less variable you have to worry about when on the course at least.

Do all you guys work at golf fitting shops?

What does a good fitting for a wedge cost?

Should be included with the price of a new wedge IMHO. At the PGA Superstore they have one of every wedge on a rack and some balls and artificial greens and bunkers. You might carry your own ball to see how it reacts because they will probably have cheap balls. I would mark it well first and even show someone. You do not want any misunderstandings about a stupid golf ball.

Do all you guys work at golf fitting shops?

No, I just find it funny that people neglect the most important clubs in the bag in fittings: wedges and putters. You hit more shots with these clubs in a round than any other clubs in the bag, yet they're fitted less often than any clubs in the bag. There is a high probability that the average amateur will definitively use 2 types of clubs on every single hole of golf they play, wedges and putters. Yet they get fitted for one of the least used at the least 90% of the time more often (driver, which one may use 14 or so times a round max, but likely 7-10 times per round more often). Doesn't make one bit of sense, IMO.

As for fitting wedges, to me, it's vital. My wedges are very specific for me. I bought raw blanks and ground them myself exactly how I like them to perform. Turf interaction both on full shots an partial shots is a vital component. I like my wedges to be versatile for every potential manner in which I'd use them. I then have them bent specific to fit my needs (I play them flatter than my irons as it gives me versatility). I then have the lofts adjusted so that my gaps are precise on full shots so I have consistent gaps for them so that they fit my set to give me the most versatility. They're the scoring clubs, and I want them to perform every time and do it consistently. Getting the right grind, loft, length, lie, shaft, etc all are important parts of the usage of wedges. And I build all of my clubs from the ground up. Once they're built like I like them in every other manner, I have them adjusted further to fit the other considerations on top of having an assembled club. Lots of places have quality wedge fittings, depending on where one is located. I'll tell you the most in depth fitting I've ever seen was done through Scratch at their HQ in Tennessee.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

No, I just find it funny that people neglect the most important clubs in the bag in fittings: wedges and putters. You hit more shots with these clubs in a round than any other clubs in the bag, yet they're fitted less often than any clubs in the bag. There is a high probability that the average amateur will definitively use 2 types of clubs on every single hole of golf they play, wedges and putters. Yet they get fitted for one of the least used at the least 90% of the time more often (driver, which one may use 14 or so times a round max, but likely 7-10 times per round more often). Doesn't make one bit of sense, IMO.

As for fitting wedges, to me, it's vital. My wedges are very specific for me. I bought raw blanks and ground them myself exactly how I like them to perform. Turf interaction both on full shots an partial shots is a vital component. I like my wedges to be versatile for every potential manner in which I'd use them. I then have them bent specific to fit my needs (I play them flatter than my irons as it gives me versatility). I then have the lofts adjusted so that my gaps are precise on full shots so I have consistent gaps for them so that they fit my set to give me the most versatility. They're the scoring clubs, and I want them to perform every time and do it consistently. Getting the right grind, loft, length, lie, shaft, etc all are important parts of the usage of wedges. And I build all of my clubs from the ground up. Once they're built like I like them in every other manner, I have them adjusted further to fit the other considerations on top of having an assembled club. Lots of places have quality wedge fittings, depending on where one is located. I'll tell you the most in depth fitting I've ever seen was done through Scratch at their HQ in Tennessee.

Wow...

I'm the opposite I guess. I just buy. Something that is a known quality like a vokey or such. Then I just just hit it a few times and get used to it.

I know a lot of y'all just shuddered, but while I like golfing, I guess I'll just be in the corner of guys that don't think it matters that much....

I'm probably wrong, but I think the body and brain will adapt to the club. Obviously one stays inside the norms, like I wouldn't hit a 12* driver on a senior shaft, but I don't swing the same everyday, so isn't it possible that even a fitted club would would be different on those off days as well?

Unless you swing everyday and are close to being a pro, I don't know that nano fitting makes as big a difference as some think. But, that's just one old farts opinion...

There's many good wedges out there, you need to try as many as you can.

I've hear good things and personally like the Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedge. They are really good wedges and you can get them at half the prices of the vokeys! Also they look great!

You can have your 56* Vokey bent to 55* to close the gap with your JPX825 and if you like the vokeys, just buy another one with 59* or 60* so you have a matching set. If you want to save some $$$ i would go with the wilson's. IMHO there's no wedge out there that beats it in quality/price

at the end its up to you! Go to the store and hit some!

Driver: Cobra Fly Z Pro w/ Diamana S+ 60g X-Stiff

3 Wood: Fly Z Pro w/Diamana D+ 70g X-Stiff

Irons: Cobra Fly Z Pro w/ KBS Tour X Shaft

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52*- 56* -60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #7

There's many good wedges out there, you need to try as many as you can.

I've hear good things and personally like the Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedge. They are really good wedges and you can get them at half the prices of the vokeys! Also they look great!

You can have your 56* Vokey bent to 55* to close the gap with your JPX825 and if you like the vokeys, just buy another one with 59* or 60* so you have a matching set. If you want to save some $$$ i would go with the wilson's. IMHO there's no wedge out there that beats it in quality/price

at the end its up to you! Go to the store and hit some!

Duh, why didn't I think of that

I'll just go get it bent to 55*

"Thank you".

Sluggo,

I know the best advice you got from Rookie and Richard, but, have a look at the Scor4161 line. The shafts are designed in conjunction with KBS and I honestly don't think you'll find a better wedge.

I use the original Eidolons (1st gen Scor) and love them. My best work is from about 120-110 in and I attribute that to 90%+ the wedges.

Matt

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Cleveland still makes good wedges, volleys are still good, Mizzy is getting better with their wedges, scor, and there are also some custom places to look, find onemthatmlooks good to your eye, and see what you can do with it. I currently use Cleveland CG16, 52* and 56*, I can hit the 52 comfortably at 125, 130 if I really swing hard, but usually I will take pw for that distance and just choke a little, my 56 is anything from 110 and in, I can't see any reason to carry a 60 wedge. Even though I have room in the bag for it.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Seriously???????

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Seriously mate!

Look at your sig, you have a custom shaft in almost every stick you play. I've never even heard of the stuff you use. But your wedges are looking pretty stock. Ou have so many pairs of golf shoes you match Em up with your slacks!

Look at mine. Every club I have is stock. I have one pair of shoes. One driver. My putter is a $10 garage sale.

Of course the optimal situation is to be professionally fitted for ever club, but some people also get every item of clothing tailor fitted. I'm more of a sleeveless teeshirt guy.

15 years ago I went to a club day at the local track and one of the guys put a strip of tape on the bottom of a 6 iron and had me hit a few balls. He looked at the tape and told me I'm a standard loft and lie guy. So that's what I go with. I'm not 6'-4", nor 5-4.

If I ever start playing for money I'll rethink the whole affair, but a 5 capper is just lunch for a real good player.

My point is, not everyone is bound for the fitting room, and shouldn't be deemed the town fool for not doing so...

Nail on the head here RB! Wedges and putters!!! The MOST important clubs! This is something you can't argue.

It's just something that's not even considered practically by anyone. We spend hundreds on fitting a driver and ordering it and getting it just right when it's one of the least used clubs on the bag. But a club we use every hole we run to the store, look on the rack and say hey that looks good and like it'll work. Never mind the fitting part for the moment, lets just look at the manufacturing process. Look at the tolerances they have. "Standard" off the rack clubs when checked over 60% of the time aren't even at standard spec. My uncle bought new wedges, couldn't figure out for the life of him why his new sand wedge was so much shorter than his previous one and he had a huge gap issue. After berating him to do so for 3 months, he finally had it checked. It was 2* flat and the loft was 3.5 degrees weak compared to the stated loft. Yes, that 56 degree wedge had 59.5 degrees of loft. He's an upright player (he's generally 4 up and 1/2" long in his irons, with a little variance depending on manufacturer standard). Yet his wedges he buys off the rack. We play for money and his wedges killed him for those 3 months. After he finally listened and had them checked and bent back to where they were supposed to be off the rack, his wedge play has improved dramatically. Granted he still needs them adjusted to fit him IMO, but the improvement from just putting them where they were supposed to be is significant.

I said all that to say, even if you aren't going to be fitted because you don't think it makes a difference, make sure to at least have the clubs checked to see that they're really at standard.

I will say though, I'd be willing to bet anyone that plays standard that if they'd go get fitted for wedges and a putter their play with those clubs would improve and save them strokes.

In The Bag

I am going to take my SW in to be checked and bent to 55*. It is actually a good club, but my 60* is flat old and beat.

I was going to get a new driver but with my last two rounds even par and almost every drive money, I would be a fool to get rid of it. The i20 stays.

But a new 60* is now the target... Probably get a lightly used one, I'm cheap :rolleyes:

Archived