Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Help, I am wedge challenged. Anything fantastic out there?

Sluggo42

I'll weigh in here too if only to support Rookie's comments - try wedges, get fitted for the one you like (as in length, grip size - hugely under rated, and lie angle), frankly I wouldn't even worry so much about the yardage gaps at first - catch that one last because you can tweak the lofts to even it out.

SCOR actually says 4 or 5 degrees - If you're longer its 4 degrees and since all of us consider ourselves longer then we mainly go with 4 degrees - Personally I go with 5 so that I can carry a 60 but I'm wierd -

Regardless a 20 yard gap between your sandwedge and your gap wedge is too much and it is a big deal and it is costing you some strokes. Try this sometime - Use your 180 yard club for 160 yard shot and see how often you get it close - that's what you're doing and the margin for error is even less as your expectation from 85 yards should be much closer to the pin.

Good luck and letting us know how it works out.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey Sluggo here's a tip for you if you want to try a great wedge - I recently did a SCOR shortgame assessment because they were running a contest for a trip to do it.

After the assessment I receive a promo to get a demo 51 to try - I called because I didn't want to do that but wanted to tell them how great my 55 and 60 were - Barry's a great guy and told me to call him when I'm ready to fill out my set and he'll give me a discount.

Bottom line - go to the SCOR website, do their short game thing and they may make you that same demo offer - it would give you a chance to give SCOR a try.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Add me to SCOR fanboy list! I have a full set, 58, 54, 50, 46 & 42 and they are excellent clubs. If they are doing a free demo, you should definitely give them a try!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

The best wedges I ever used were the CG14's. The ones with the little plastic insert in them. I could get those way way up in the air on flop shots and look like a pro- and get great outs from the sand. I am going back to them this season I think.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

This is hardly an insurmountable gap, especially for most of the low single digits that I play with. I would think that as a 5 hdcp, you would have developed the shot selection, ie., partial swing shots(1/4, 1/2), opening of club face for trajectory/distance modification, ball placement, etc., to compensate for an additional 2* gap.

Not only this but choking down on the club. For years I carried a bunch of wedges and subscribed to the Pelz clock method. After more and more practice this sort of became automatic. I then went to two tempos and the clock method, This requires more practice, but what really does not is choking down to the steel of the shaft. I find that choking down on a 52 all the way to the steel is about the same as playing a 56. So of course you can choke down half that and with the same swing dial in even smaller increments.

I have played with a 51 and a 60 and found it to be no problem. The true issue is controlling the spin anyway. A 75 yard shot from 75 yards that runs 25 feet is not much better than an 85 yard shot from 75 yards.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Not only this but choking down on the club. For years I carried a bunch of wedges and subscribed to the Pelz clock method. After more and more practice this sort of became automatic. I then went to two tempos and the clock method, This requires more practice, but what really does not is choking down to the steel of the shaft. I find that choking down on a 52 all the way to the steel is about the same as playing a 56. So of course you can choke down half that and with the same swing dial in even smaller increments.

I have played with a 51 and a 60 and found it to be no problem. The true issue is controlling the spin anyway. A 75 yard shot from 75 yards that runs 25 feet is not much better than an 85 yard shot from 75 yards.

..... of you could just try the SCORS - why not? A SCOR 51 for a month for free? I'm thinking you'd be hooked. Their methode is the Pelz methode but they make it idiot proof - they have an over long grip with two dots on it - the first is gripped down and inch the second two inches.

Frankly I use the first dot as my normal grip and add or subtract rather than just subtract but that's a too each his own sort of thing -

I'm also crazy long for the loft with each - the gripped down 55 goes 85 and the full goes 92 - it actually has about made my gap wedge obsolete and so I'm looking to replace it with a SCOR 50.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I took my 56 in and found it was 56.5, so I had him bend it to 55. Hopefully that will get a full swing to 115 ish, maybe a little more if I really put a crisp pinch on it.

I pretty much use the 55* for all my reduced swing shots. And I only use the 60* for close up work, or a real tight pin behind a bunker. So, I hope this solves my mini dilemma.

The 55 is still in really good shape, so I think the 60 is all ill replace for now...

Great thoughts appreciated from all of you guys, thanks SO much

Doug

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Archived