Sluggo42

Help, I am wedge challenged. Anything fantastic out there?

Do all you guys work at golf fitting shops?

No, I just find it funny that people neglect the most important clubs in the bag in fittings: wedges and putters. You hit more shots with these clubs in a round than any other clubs in the bag, yet they're fitted less often than any clubs in the bag. There is a high probability that the average amateur will definitively use 2 types of clubs on every single hole of golf they play, wedges and putters. Yet they get fitted for one of the least used at the least 90% of the time more often (driver, which one may use 14 or so times a round max, but likely 7-10 times per round more often). Doesn't make one bit of sense, IMO.

As for fitting wedges, to me, it's vital. My wedges are very specific for me. I bought raw blanks and ground them myself exactly how I like them to perform. Turf interaction both on full shots an partial shots is a vital component. I like my wedges to be versatile for every potential manner in which I'd use them. I then have them bent specific to fit my needs (I play them flatter than my irons as it gives me versatility). I then have the lofts adjusted so that my gaps are precise on full shots so I have consistent gaps for them so that they fit my set to give me the most versatility. They're the scoring clubs, and I want them to perform every time and do it consistently. Getting the right grind, loft, length, lie, shaft, etc all are important parts of the usage of wedges. And I build all of my clubs from the ground up. Once they're built like I like them in every other manner, I have them adjusted further to fit the other considerations on top of having an assembled club. Lots of places have quality wedge fittings, depending on where one is located. I'll tell you the most in depth fitting I've ever seen was done through Scratch at their HQ in Tennessee.

No, I just find it funny that people neglect the most important clubs in the bag in fittings: wedges and putters. You hit more shots with these clubs in a round than any other clubs in the bag, yet they're fitted less often than any clubs in the bag. There is a high probability that the average amateur will definitively use 2 types of clubs on every single hole of golf they play, wedges and putters. Yet they get fitted for one of the least used at the least 90% of the time more often (driver, which one may use 14 or so times a round max, but likely 7-10 times per round more often). Doesn't make one bit of sense, IMO.

As for fitting wedges, to me, it's vital. My wedges are very specific for me. I bought raw blanks and ground them myself exactly how I like them to perform. Turf interaction both on full shots an partial shots is a vital component. I like my wedges to be versatile for every potential manner in which I'd use them. I then have them bent specific to fit my needs (I play them flatter than my irons as it gives me versatility). I then have the lofts adjusted so that my gaps are precise on full shots so I have consistent gaps for them so that they fit my set to give me the most versatility. They're the scoring clubs, and I want them to perform every time and do it consistently. Getting the right grind, loft, length, lie, shaft, etc all are important parts of the usage of wedges. And I build all of my clubs from the ground up. Once they're built like I like them in every other manner, I have them adjusted further to fit the other considerations on top of having an assembled club. Lots of places have quality wedge fittings, depending on where one is located. I'll tell you the most in depth fitting I've ever seen was done through Scratch at their HQ in Tennessee.

Wow...

I'm the opposite I guess. I just buy. Something that is a known quality like a vokey or such. Then I just just hit it a few times and get used to it.

I know a lot of y'all just shuddered, but while I like golfing, I guess I'll just be in the corner of guys that don't think it matters that much....

I'm probably wrong, but I think the body and brain will adapt to the club. Obviously one stays inside the norms, like I wouldn't hit a 12* driver on a senior shaft, but I don't swing the same everyday, so isn't it possible that even a fitted club would would be different on those off days as well?

Unless you swing everyday and are close to being a pro, I don't know that nano fitting makes as big a difference as some think. But, that's just one old farts opinion...

There's many good wedges out there, you need to try as many as you can.

I've hear good things and personally like the Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedge. They are really good wedges and you can get them at half the prices of the vokeys! Also they look great!

You can have your 56* Vokey bent to 55* to close the gap with your JPX825 and if you like the vokeys, just buy another one with 59* or 60* so you have a matching set. If you want to save some $$$ i would go with the wilson's. IMHO there's no wedge out there that beats it in quality/price

at the end its up to you! Go to the store and hit some!

There's many good wedges out there, you need to try as many as you can.

I've hear good things and personally like the Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedge. They are really good wedges and you can get them at half the prices of the vokeys! Also they look great!

You can have your 56* Vokey bent to 55* to close the gap with your JPX825 and if you like the vokeys, just buy another one with 59* or 60* so you have a matching set. If you want to save some $$$ i would go with the wilson's. IMHO there's no wedge out there that beats it in quality/price

at the end its up to you! Go to the store and hit some!

Duh, why didn't I think of that

I'll just go get it bent to 55*

"Thank you".

Sluggo,

I know the best advice you got from Rookie and Richard, but, have a look at the Scor4161 line. The shafts are designed in conjunction with KBS and I honestly don't think you'll find a better wedge.

I use the original Eidolons (1st gen Scor) and love them. My best work is from about 120-110 in and I attribute that to 90%+ the wedges.

Matt

Cleveland still makes good wedges, volleys are still good, Mizzy is getting better with their wedges, scor, and there are also some custom places to look, find onemthatmlooks good to your eye, and see what you can do with it. I currently use Cleveland CG16, 52* and 56*, I can hit the 52 comfortably at 125, 130 if I really swing hard, but usually I will take pw for that distance and just choke a little, my 56 is anything from 110 and in, I can't see any reason to carry a 60 wedge. Even though I have room in the bag for it.

No, I just find it funny that people neglect the most important clubs in the bag in fittings: wedges and putters.

Nail on the head here RB! Wedges and putters!!! The MOST important clubs! This is something you can't argue.

Seriously???????

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Seriously mate!

Look at your sig, you have a custom shaft in almost every stick you play. I've never even heard of the stuff you use. But your wedges are looking pretty stock. Ou have so many pairs of golf shoes you match Em up with your slacks!

Look at mine. Every club I have is stock. I have one pair of shoes. One driver. My putter is a $10 garage sale.

Of course the optimal situation is to be professionally fitted for ever club, but some people also get every item of clothing tailor fitted. I'm more of a sleeveless teeshirt guy.

15 years ago I went to a club day at the local track and one of the guys put a strip of tape on the bottom of a 6 iron and had me hit a few balls. He looked at the tape and told me I'm a standard loft and lie guy. So that's what I go with. I'm not 6'-4", nor 5-4.

If I ever start playing for money I'll rethink the whole affair, but a 5 capper is just lunch for a real good player.

My point is, not everyone is bound for the fitting room, and shouldn't be deemed the town fool for not doing so...

Nail on the head here RB! Wedges and putters!!! The MOST important clubs! This is something you can't argue.

It's just something that's not even considered practically by anyone. We spend hundreds on fitting a driver and ordering it and getting it just right when it's one of the least used clubs on the bag. But a club we use every hole we run to the store, look on the rack and say hey that looks good and like it'll work. Never mind the fitting part for the moment, lets just look at the manufacturing process. Look at the tolerances they have. "Standard" off the rack clubs when checked over 60% of the time aren't even at standard spec. My uncle bought new wedges, couldn't figure out for the life of him why his new sand wedge was so much shorter than his previous one and he had a huge gap issue. After berating him to do so for 3 months, he finally had it checked. It was 2* flat and the loft was 3.5 degrees weak compared to the stated loft. Yes, that 56 degree wedge had 59.5 degrees of loft. He's an upright player (he's generally 4 up and 1/2" long in his irons, with a little variance depending on manufacturer standard). Yet his wedges he buys off the rack. We play for money and his wedges killed him for those 3 months. After he finally listened and had them checked and bent back to where they were supposed to be off the rack, his wedge play has improved dramatically. Granted he still needs them adjusted to fit him IMO, but the improvement from just putting them where they were supposed to be is significant.

I said all that to say, even if you aren't going to be fitted because you don't think it makes a difference, make sure to at least have the clubs checked to see that they're really at standard.

I will say though, I'd be willing to bet anyone that plays standard that if they'd go get fitted for wedges and a putter their play with those clubs would improve and save them strokes.

I am going to take my SW in to be checked and bent to 55*. It is actually a good club, but my 60* is flat old and beat.

I was going to get a new driver but with my last two rounds even par and almost every drive money, I would be a fool to get rid of it. The i20 stays.

But a new 60* is now the target... Probably get a lightly used one, I'm cheap :rolleyes:

I'll weigh in here too if only to support Rookie's comments - try wedges, get fitted for the one you like (as in length, grip size - hugely under rated, and lie angle), frankly I wouldn't even worry so much about the yardage gaps at first - catch that one last because you can tweak the lofts to even it out.

SCOR actually says 4 or 5 degrees - If you're longer its 4 degrees and since all of us consider ourselves longer then we mainly go with 4 degrees - Personally I go with 5 so that I can carry a 60 but I'm wierd -

Regardless a 20 yard gap between your sandwedge and your gap wedge is too much and it is a big deal and it is costing you some strokes. Try this sometime - Use your 180 yard club for 160 yard shot and see how often you get it close - that's what you're doing and the margin for error is even less as your expectation from 85 yards should be much closer to the pin.

Good luck and letting us know how it works out.

Hey Sluggo here's a tip for you if you want to try a great wedge - I recently did a SCOR shortgame assessment because they were running a contest for a trip to do it.

After the assessment I receive a promo to get a demo 51 to try - I called because I didn't want to do that but wanted to tell them how great my 55 and 60 were - Barry's a great guy and told me to call him when I'm ready to fill out my set and he'll give me a discount.

Bottom line - go to the SCOR website, do their short game thing and they may make you that same demo offer - it would give you a chance to give SCOR a try.

Add me to SCOR fanboy list! I have a full set, 58, 54, 50, 46 & 42 and they are excellent clubs. If they are doing a free demo, you should definitely give them a try!

The best wedges I ever used were the CG14's. The ones with the little plastic insert in them. I could get those way way up in the air on flop shots and look like a pro- and get great outs from the sand. I am going back to them this season I think.

This is hardly an insurmountable gap, especially for most of the low single digits that I play with. I would think that as a 5 hdcp, you would have developed the shot selection, ie., partial swing shots(1/4, 1/2), opening of club face for trajectory/distance modification, ball placement, etc., to compensate for an additional 2* gap.

Not only this but choking down on the club. For years I carried a bunch of wedges and subscribed to the Pelz clock method. After more and more practice this sort of became automatic. I then went to two tempos and the clock method, This requires more practice, but what really does not is choking down to the steel of the shaft. I find that choking down on a 52 all the way to the steel is about the same as playing a 56. So of course you can choke down half that and with the same swing dial in even smaller increments.

I have played with a 51 and a 60 and found it to be no problem. The true issue is controlling the spin anyway. A 75 yard shot from 75 yards that runs 25 feet is not much better than an 85 yard shot from 75 yards.

Not only this but choking down on the club. For years I carried a bunch of wedges and subscribed to the Pelz clock method. After more and more practice this sort of became automatic. I then went to two tempos and the clock method, This requires more practice, but what really does not is choking down to the steel of the shaft. I find that choking down on a 52 all the way to the steel is about the same as playing a 56. So of course you can choke down half that and with the same swing dial in even smaller increments.

I have played with a 51 and a 60 and found it to be no problem. The true issue is controlling the spin anyway. A 75 yard shot from 75 yards that runs 25 feet is not much better than an 85 yard shot from 75 yards.

..... of you could just try the SCORS - why not? A SCOR 51 for a month for free? I'm thinking you'd be hooked. Their methode is the Pelz methode but they make it idiot proof - they have an over long grip with two dots on it - the first is gripped down and inch the second two inches.

Frankly I use the first dot as my normal grip and add or subtract rather than just subtract but that's a too each his own sort of thing -

I'm also crazy long for the loft with each - the gripped down 55 goes 85 and the full goes 92 - it actually has about made my gap wedge obsolete and so I'm looking to replace it with a SCOR 50.

I took my 56 in and found it was 56.5, so I had him bend it to 55. Hopefully that will get a full swing to 115 ish, maybe a little more if I really put a crisp pinch on it.

I pretty much use the 55* for all my reduced swing shots. And I only use the 60* for close up work, or a real tight pin behind a bunker. So, I hope this solves my mini dilemma.

The 55 is still in really good shape, so I think the 60 is all ill replace for now...

Great thoughts appreciated from all of you guys, thanks SO much

Doug