Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Need some drills

Title says it all, Anyone have some drills that I can use to get rid of the "Quacker" duck hook to the "LEFT" with my driver. My El-Natural ball blight is from right to left but more "pro-nounced" with the Driver. Let's hear it.....

If it wasn't for my iron play and short game Hula would be in some serious trouble......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Title says it all, Anyone have some drills that I can use to get rid of the "Quacker" duck hook to the right with my driver. My El-Natural ball blight is from right to left but more "pro-nounced" with the Driver. Let's hear it.....

If it wasn't for my iron play and short game Hula would be in some serious trouble......

I've struggled with this forever. I put my bag just behind me, so I can't yank the club so far inside.

Do you also randomly hit a big push that never comes back?

My Brutha from another Mutha.......

"Do you also randomly hit a big push that never comes back? "

I hit 3 of those Sunday. Out of the 6 drivers that I hit, I only "piped" one.....

Funny thing is that I can hit a Controlled High Cut all day long with my mid to long irons.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I will be happy to help you, after the Texas Open.

Actually, I do not have any drills per se. But as I said in my response to the waggle thread, I have been working on a complete preshot routine to do before every swing. The hole purpose is to feel the club head moving on the correct path.

It starts with a trick to feel the club head. Hold the club by the head and swing it a couple of times making sure the swoosh is down where the ball would be.

Flip the club over now and do it again and you can really feel the head. Then I swing again and make sure the club is on the correct path, and then again to ensure the right tempo.

The step up to the ball and try to repeat the last swing and hit the ball.

I use a slight hip bump forward to trigger the swing.

This sounds like a lot but really it probably takes less than 20 seconds from start to finish. Certainly less time than looking for the ball in the woods.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I will be happy to help you, after the Texas Open.

Actually, I do not have any drills per se. But as I said in my response to the waggle thread, I have been working on a complete preshot routine to do before every swing. The hole purpose is to feel the club head moving on the correct path.

It starts with a trick to feel the club head. Hold the club by the head and swing it a couple of times making sure the swoosh is down where the ball would be.

Flip the club over now and do it again and you can really feel the head. Then I swing again and make sure the club is on the correct path, and then again to ensure the right tempo.

The step up to the ball and try to repeat the last swing and hit the ball.

I use a slight hip bump forward to trigger the swing.

This sounds like a lot but really it probably takes less than 20 seconds from start to finish. Certainly less time than looking for the ball in the woods.

Going to give it a shot during a range session tomorrow. Speaking of the Texas Open. Can I get 10 a Side ?? :)

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

About the big push and snap hooks.......I video'd myself on several driver swings and on the big pushes and snap hooks, I noticed something similar. I was starting my backswing by pushing my left shoulder out away from my body, before moving the club, which was effectively pointing my shoulders 50yds right of target, which resulted in me pushing it on that line or coming over the top to try to save it and hit the hard hook. I've been working the last few days to keep that shoulder back and I'm pounding it dead straight.

With my snap hooks with the driver I've noticed that I just don't finish the swing. I get too tense and end up flipping at it.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Got it figured out. Went to the club today and had a session with our PGA pro. Filmed my takeaway and saw that my shoulders were parallel to the ground and my right hand was a tad bit under my left hand. Made the adjustment, BOOM

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Got it figured out. Went to the club today and had a session with our PGA pro. Filmed my takeaway and saw that my shoulders were parallel to the ground and my right hand was a tad bit under my left hand. Made the adjustment, BOOM

Funny how we always think its something major when its usually the simplest things

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I am curious how you hit a duck "hook" to the right as a right handed golfer? Wouldn't that be a slice, a duck hook and a high fade right are totally different shots, and I think would be different issues.

I figured he was left handed until the comment about his right hand under his left. Then I wasn't sure what to think.

Hula...are you right or left handed?

I figured he was left handed until the comment about his right hand under his left. Then I wasn't sure what to think.

Hula...are you right or left handed?

My bad, should have read "Left". I am right handed. :)

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 1 month later...

Have you ever considered getting an impact bag? You don't need to make big swings with it. even little quarter swings to help you feel the position that you're looking for.

I worked on it over the winter and found that it actually helped me a bit...more with short game stuff but the principles in golf are all the same.

I'd even consider looking at Bobby Clampett's book the impact zone. A different approach to the game and working on what the real concern should be...the moment of truth. Worked for me with my irons as well. The link is for a youtube video that I could watch over and over. You can get the book or order it at any book store.

Title says it all, Anyone have some drills that I can use to get rid of the "Quacker" duck hook to the "LEFT" with my driver. My El-Natural ball blight is from right to left but more "pro-nounced" with the Driver. Let's hear it.....

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

It has been a long time since I have last posted anything on here, I normally just read and keep my mouth shut now a days.

It would not be possible for me to provide effective drills without knowing what swing-plane you have. Each swing plane method requires a different sequence and can not be mixed:

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/01/guide-to-understanding-your-golf-swing.html

With that said, I think JBones was on the right track here. There is some conflict in sequence in your downswing / backswing resulting in improper positions. It ends up resulting in some kind of "save" move. I'll be honest here and i have said it before around this website what you FEEL and what is REAL are completely different things.

I would say a high percentage of time when you get the snap hook / push combo:

It is because the player will get "stuck" on the downswing. That would resulting in a "flip" of the head with the arms and hands trying to "save it"... you are late you hit a push, early you hit a big snap hook, it is hard to time.

Anyways, that is just my 2cents on the situation. Do you work with an instructor at all? It is a lot better to work with an individual and not confilct the ideas with other instructors, friends or opinions from people on a golf forum.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

JMiller I don't know why you don't comment more frequently but I've missed you.  Please don't hesitate to put in your two cents whenever!!!!! 

Mine is very simple and should apply regardless of swing plane or anything else really - go to the practice range and hit cuts - keeping hitting cuts until you can cut the ball at will and then hit your normal shot - that often times will reset the old computer in the brain.

I've battled a duck hook my entire golfing life.

Good luck.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

JMiller I don't know why you don't comment more frequently but I've missed you.  Please don't hesitate to put in your two cents whenever!!!!!

RK, I apprecate your kind words of encouragement here.

However, I have some good reasons as to why I haven't posted a ton of content around the site. Those reasons are not something I want to share in this topic or publicly on this forum.

Back to the topic at hand sorry for the thread hi-jack

Good luck Hula, I hope you figure out what the issue is.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

JMiller:

Thanks for the reply, I had to put the golf swing on the shelf for a little bit due to some left shoulder pain.  I hope to be back in the swing of things in another 2-3 weeks.  

PS.

X2 on your hiatus,  you have some great input on the golf swing, one of few that I take seriousely.  Hope to see you post more in the future.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

It has been a long time since I have last posted anything on here, I normally just read and keep my mouth shut now a days.

It would not be possible for me to provide effective drills without knowing what swing-plane you have. Each swing plane method requires a different sequence and can not be mixed:

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/01/guide-to-understanding-your-golf-swing.html

With that said, I think JBones was on the right track here. There is some conflict in sequence in your downswing / backswing resulting in improper positions. It ends up resulting in some kind of "save" move. I'll be honest here and i have said it before around this website what you FEEL and what is REAL are completely different things.

I would say a high percentage of time when you get the snap hook / push combo:

It is because the player will get "stuck" on the downswing. That would resulting in a "flip" of the head with the arms and hands trying to "save it"... you are late you hit a push, early you hit a big snap hook, it is hard to time.

Anyways, that is just my 2cents on the situation. Do you work with an instructor at all? It is a lot better to work with an individual and not confilct the ideas with other instructors, friends or opinions from people on a golf forum.

I agree with Rev.  I always appreciate when you respond.  Helpful respones and very detailed...

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Archived