TESTERS WANTED! ×

2014 Callaway Big Bertha Alpha

GolfSpy_X

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big bertha sounds like a very interesting driver. It's a real shame they price it at $500 because that much adjustability would be perfect for the masses. I understand the concept of not following the leader, but I think that is going to be a mistake for Callaway.

Disagree on all points. The masses do NOT need adjustability. In fact, nobody really needs it. I wonder how many people adjust their drivers on a constant basis. When you get it, set it up to how you like it, and it'll stay that way forever. Sure the adjustability stuff is cool and will sell but

The $500 price tag is great considering they said they will NEVER drop the price. They're confident that this is the best driver they've made and the best driver out. That's good enough for me.

Here's another one out there.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUUEAyyxPk

Can you say Big Bertha Slider?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Disagree on all points. The masses do NOT need adjustability. In fact, nobody really needs it. I wonder how many people adjust their drivers on a constant basis. When you get it, set it up to how you like it, and it'll stay that way forever. Sure the adjustability stuff is cool and will sell but

The $500 price tag is great considering they said they will NEVER drop the price. They're confident that this is the best driver they've made and the best driver out. That's good enough for me.

If adjustability has nothing to do with it, how is this the best driver they've ever made? The face is the same they've used before. I guess the paint scheme is different.

My point is the top tier of golfers don't need adjustability because they get custom fit and rarely change, at least not unintentionally. One point of adjustability is to have a driver that grows with you, thus it is good for the masses that try to break 90 or 100. The other purpose of adjustability is fine tuning. However, they are pricing it such that the center weight costs an additional $100. They don't have the hosel that Nike has, so why pay that much more for something unless it blows away the competition? There are plenty of ways to add/reduce rpm once you get into custom shafts, which you do at this price range.

The fact is the masses can be fit into a cheaper option that'll more than likely produce results that are just as good. I'd love to be corrected on this, but if lowering CG is the only real claim to fame then they have the SLDR to contend with. If their claim is adjustability the Covert 2.0 beats it. If it's having a higher CG, then there are plenty of other drivers to match that.

My intuition is they've priced it nicely for rich folk who don't care. Most new golfers get last years models if they're smart, and there's a $200-300 price gap between those and this one. There will certainly be people who are willing to pay for it, but there is a sweet spot between profit margin and quantity of sales and I'm curious if they are really hitting it. Now, if they lowered the price $100 to start with and said they'd never move that, then these would fly off the shelves.

However, that said if they offer a large variety of premium shafts and no surcharge or free color customization, then Callaway very well could have a winner.

The fact is the masses can be fit into a cheaper option that'll more than likely produce results that are just as good. I'd love to be corrected on this.

Have you ever tried to fit someone for a driver who shoots in the 90-100 range? My guess is no way. You can take someone who shoots 90-100 and fit them for 50 different driver combinations on 50 consecutive days.

Have you ever tried to fit someone for a driver who shoots in the 90-100 range? My guess is no way. You can take someone who shoots 90-100 and fit them for 50 different driver combinations on 50 consecutive days.

That's exactly my point though. Something that adjustable is more likely to fit them in 3 months or a year than something static.

Looks like I'll be hitting these suckers with Harry Arnette in early Feb. ought to be fun, he and I have had this bantering going on since the pics of the prototype came out and him being an Atlanta guy this led to that and the gauntlet was thrown down and, well, it's on. Lol

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Looks like I'll be hitting these suckers with Harry Arnette in early Feb. ought to be fun, he and I have had this bantering going on since the pics of the prototype came out and him being an Atlanta guy this led to that and the gauntlet was thrown down and, well, it's on. Lol

Well this is awesome and you sir are very lucky... (so so lucky...) 

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to these coming to market. I will definitely hit both. Leaning towards the Alpha with the great shaft options I keep hearing will be available. This could be their best offering yet...

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.0*/Accra Tour Zx475 75 x stiff
Fairway: Titleist TSi2 13.5*/Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 85 x stiff
Hybrid/ Driving Iron: Titleist U505 3 iron 20*/ Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke 90 x stiff
Irons: Cobra Forged Tec 4-PW/ KBS C Taper stiff hard stepped once
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50*F/ KBS C Taper x stiff
Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*D/ TT DG s200
Wedges: Vokey Hand Ground 58*T/ TT DG Tour s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"
Ball: Titleist Pro Pro V1

• 1 month later...

For those that have gotten to hit these already (as I spoke with Harry and it appears he's backed off our little wager), which of the two are the higher launching?  Which is lower spinning?  I know the flipper allows one to adjust spin from anywhere between 300 and 800 RPM's (high and low numbers I've seen). But I need to know which does which aspect the best/worst before placing an order.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

FYI, you can buy these right now, at least at the Woodlands, Texas Golfsmith. Apparently a competitor in the area sold one and now its free reign on current inventory.

My impression. Sounds better than the sldr but doesn't have near the distance as the 430.

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

FYI, you can buy these right now, at least at the Woodlands, Texas Golfsmith. Apparently a competitor in the area sold one and now its free reign on current inventory.

My impression. Sounds better than the sldr but doesn't have near the distance as the 430.

Oh, I can get my hands on them ordering, no doubt.  But none of the stores here have them out (or didn't last I checked) not even a demo.  So I'd be buying sight unseen and unhit, that's why I asked.

In The Bag

• SPY VIP

In our tests, despite having more loft to play with in the samples, on average Bertha actually launched a bit lower than Alpha (realistically the difference is margin of error type stuff) , however; it spun more. Alpha is the better of the two...$499 is ludicrous, but it makes sense given the plan Callaway is trying to execute.

FYI...additional "Pro" models have made an appearance on the USGA conforming list. I'd wager anything that Callaway will bring them to retail due to their impending popularity on tour. So if you think you might want a 440cc model with a tour-inspired CG placement, sit on your hands and wait. I'll be anything but shocked when the story sounds like it did when 3Deep came out.

You're going to see Callaway release new products at a rate some will find alarming. Production runs will be smaller; effectively making some of the product Limited Edition (even though they won't call it that). Some product will sell out and will not get a 2nd production run.The goal is to maintain high margins, and generate interest (and sales) by always having something new to talk about.

I expect TaylorMade will counter with something (White SLDR the likely near term surprise). And then counter again...and again, and the wheels keep turning.

Right now Callaway's primary focus should be (and I believe it is) on the balance sheet, which means if TMaG starts the whole discount thing again, Callaway will get beat up a little (market share, units sold), but what we've seen for '14 suggests they're more focused on the big picture (balance sheet again, and to a large extent consumer perception). Marketshare is an artificial construct, profits are what matter and that's Callaway will chase this season.

Ok...wandered off topic there. Back to you.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I sure loved the sound of the alpha at contact. The numbers didn't make want to buy anything but the sounds was beautiful. The sales guy tried to really entice me into buying which I thought was odd seeing that it hasn't even launched yet.

The three wood was really sweet. Love the look at setup.

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

The original Big Bertha was my first "nice" club, I loved that thing. They need to make sure they replicate the sound though, I loved that metallic 'tink' on a well struck ball.

Me too - it was my first "real" golf club. Man I loved that thing. I snapped the shaft three times and had it replaced each time under warranty. I was told it was a design flaw in the way it mounted in the hosel or something. I still loved it.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

In our tests, despite having more loft to play with in the samples, on average Bertha actually launched a bit lower than Alpha (realistically the difference is margin of error type stuff) , however; it spun more. Alpha is the better of the two...$499 is ludicrous, but it makes sense given the plan Callaway is trying to execute.

FYI...additional "Pro" models have made an appearance on the USGA conforming list. I'd wager anything that Callaway will bring them to retail due to their impending popularity on tour. So if you think you might want a 440cc model with a tour-inspired CG placement, sit on your hands and wait. I'll be anything but shocked when the story sounds like it did when 3Deep came out.

You're going to see Callaway release new products at a rate some will find alarming. Production runs will be smaller; effectively making some of the product Limited Edition (even though they won't call it that). Some product will sell out and will not get a 2nd production run.The goal is to maintain high margins, and generate interest (and sales) by always having something new to talk about.

I expect TaylorMade will counter with something (White SLDR the likely near term surprise). And then counter again...and again, and the wheels keep turning.

Right now Callaway's primary focus should be (and I believe it is) on the balance sheet, which means if TMaG starts the whole discount thing again, Callaway will get beat up a little (market share, units sold), but what we've seen for '14 suggests they're more focused on the big picture (balance sheet again, and to a large extent consumer perception). Marketshare is an artificial construct, profits are what matter and that's Callaway will chase this season.

Ok...wandered off topic there. Back to you.

Reason I asked is I have a good chance at getting an Alpha head only, long story, but it's possible.  And I have a prototype shaft on the way that I can't really discuss until the OEM tells me I can.  T, PM me and I can explain, as I know you've spent some range time with both on a monitor and I'd love to pick your brain a bit about these two models.

In The Bag

That's exactly my point though. Something that adjustable is more likely to fit them in 3 months or a year than something static.

Yea that's exactly why the masses have more use for adjustability than a top player. They may need something different every day.

Reason I asked is I have a good chance at getting an Alpha head only, long story, but it's possible.  And I have a prototype shaft on the way that I can't really discuss until the OEM tells me I can.  T, PM me and I can explain, as I know you've spent some range time with both on a monitor and I'd love to pick your brain a bit about these two models.

I wouldn't even waste time on it rookie. I doubt it will displace the reigning gamer.

I wouldn't even waste time on it rookie. I doubt it will displace the reigning gamer.

Well, I've got a SLDR that just got here yesterday and I want to compare it to the Bertha.

In The Bag

Bertha is in the local store for demo now. Hit the Alpha first. Lasted 3 swings and the ball they had in the sim split in half (not exaggerating, call the Kennesaw PGATSS if you'd like and ask the dude at the club work desk). So the session was cut short. I believe it was already cracked because numbers didn't add up. Those 3 swings felt good with it though. Just wished I'd have had time to adjust on it

In The Bag

Hit the BB alpha yesterday at golfsmith, that thing was crap. First 10 hit the spin was at 3600+

Some around 4500, flipped the weight over and still up at 2800+, farthest ball I hit was 260,

And that was a pull hook, 60 yard s offline. Horrible club, for me, anyway.

Then we compared it to the x2hot, the numbers were much different, spin was down around 21-2200, launch angle was around 13.5, hit about 10 balls with it, average was 292, (long 317) and was average of 4 yards of off center. It was by far the best driver I've hit this year. Again for me.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived