Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hopkins Golf

SPY ZINGER

looking forward to the interview! heard about hopkins wedges before, but don't know too much about them. love all the different grind options they offer through their website!

Here was the interview Snoopy: http://www.mygolfspy.com/hopkins-golf-custom-wedges/

I just added the new black head to this thread rather than start a new one.

HCKY: Very true but still reasonable comparatively. By the way, thinking of organizing a MN outing at a local loud and rowdy over Christmas break. You in?

Posted Image

It is an interesting marketing concept. For me I cant tell much from the pictures I am one guy that has to have the actual product in hand to feel to evaluate it. I know he is getting started but I wonder in the future if he will have franchised fitting and building centers trained in his methods and procedures. I do applaud his efforts though and I am impressed with his customer service on returning wedges if they are not compatable for you. The prices do not seem out of line for the product to me. I wish them all the success in the world

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I remember when the article was originally written they said they had plans to sell higher lofts such as 62 and 64 degree wedges. I've been looking for a new 64 and was waiting to see if Hopkins would release one. The have a black finish now but I want the higher lofts. I guess I'm the only one.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Here was the interview Snoopy: http://www.mygolfspy.com/hopkins-golf-custom-wedges/

I just added the new black head to this thread rather than start a new one.

HCKY: Very true but still reasonable comparatively. By the way, thinking of organizing a MN outing at a local loud and rowdy over Christmas break. You in?

I'm listed as "day to day" for any outings.  Got a newborn and an almost 3 year old now so getting out is going to be harder for a while.  It all depends on time and location.

Any interest in trying to get the MN guys together for a simulator round up at Bunker over the winter? 

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm listed as "day to day" for any outings.  Got a newborn and an almost 3 year old now so getting out is going to be harder for a while.  It all depends on time and location.

Any interest in trying to get the MN guys together for a simulator round up at Bunker over the winter? 

Yes, but we need to do it at Inside Edge...they are fans of everything MGS.  It's in Eden Prairie though.

Posted Image

Yes, but we need to do it at Inside Edge...they are fans of everything MGS.  It's in Eden Prairie though.

Eden Prairie's not too bad, I'm thinking that could work.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• 4 months later...

Not a big fan of this arrangement. UPS is a large beheamoth of a company. Things that make them bigger, and make Greg's pockets swell more, just aren't all that exciting to me. Centralized profit in the economy is a problem.

Working for UPS now zinger? Job change?

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Not a big fan of this arrangement. UPS is a large beheamoth of a company. Things that make them bigger, and make Greg's pockets swell more, just aren't all that exciting to me. Centralized profit in the economy is a problem.

Easy there.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

What?  What's a decentralized profit?

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Big or small I'm for the innovator when his innovation has merit. It's a great concept and using ups as his primary work force is a part of it.

I'd give it a like and wish him well.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Big or small I'm for the innovator when his innovation has merit. It's a great concept and using ups as his primary work force is a part of it.

I'd give it a like and wish him well.

Same here. Thinking out of the box is a good thing.

I little unclear on the concept. Is Hopkins using UPS as a distribution/fulfillment house? If so that seems pretty smart - the big companies have reps and pay good money for their retail space. If the ups partnership helps the little guy compete, then good for both of them!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I little unclear on the concept. Is Hopkins using UPS as a distribution/fulfillment house? If so that seems pretty smart - the big companies have reps and pay good money for their retail space. If the ups partnership helps the little guy compete, then good for both of them!

UPS actually assembles the clubs. I wouldn't have thought of that scenario.

Assembly too if I'm not mistaken...

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Personally, I'm not a fan of the concept. Hopkins takes pride in the fact they have nothing to do with the manufacturing of their product. I am completely the opposite.

Besides after using UPS for shipping for 4-5 years I wouldn't use them for anything. Someone in Memphis took home a lot of product from us.

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

"3.4 trillion variations". And only 99.99999% of those are different colour paint :)

True on both yours and his account. Hey he's a marketer.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have no problem with this being made in a UPS facility.  Most of the clubs we buy get tweaked in factories much more suspect than a UPS hub in Memphis.

My bigger question would be why not supply local shops with demo versions of a handful of your wedges and then the shop orders from you and they get a %.  That does put a middleman back in the picture which is against their model I suppose.  But they would have no inventory, so you can still drop ship everything.

I'm not opposed to playing a club from a manufacturer that is off the beaten path, but I don't really want to order one sight unseen.  Sure you can return it and play that game over and over again.  But who wants to do that with a wedge?  I'd like to demo a few at a store, choose the one like and then order it.  It'll be bad enough that once you find the wedge you want you can't walk just out of the store with it.  But at least you'd know what you are getting.  Then you can add your favorite colors, stamps of snowflakes and your initials 45 times.

I haven't been in there in a while, but an indoor facility near me was offering to get me fit into Hopkins wedges; they had quite a few demos to hit.

I haven't been in there in a while, but an indoor facility near me was offering to get me fit into Hopkins wedges; they had quite a few demos to hit.

That must be a rogue retailer offering the service because on their site, under "Help" they indicate that they are a web based business that skips the middle man and retail.

Are you guys serious? UPS workers assemble the clubs before shipping? Am I the only one that finds that totally bizarre? This kind of flies in the face of being professionally fit, and having clubs expertly made by trained craftsmen. Maybe UPS knows a hell of a lot more about club building than I give them credit for. I don't even trust them to ship a box without something going wrong.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

Are you guys serious? UPS workers assemble the clubs before shipping? Am I the only one that finds that totally bizarre? This kind of flies in the face of being professionally fit, and having clubs expertly made by trained craftsmen. Maybe UPS knows a hell of a lot more about club building than I give them credit for. I don't even trust them to ship a box without something going wrong.

I remember seeing a video about it when I first heard about them. They set up a club building section in the building and trained certain employees to do it specifically. Very unconventional for sure. Seems to be working I guess.

I was considering a set of these before I decided to go the PING route. I thought it seemed like an easy way to get the club built the way you wanted it for a decent price.

Obviously I can't comment on the quality of the club, but it seems to me that the vast majority of clubs today are probably assembled by people that are trained to slap them together in the most efficient way possible. Unless you are going to a local shop where the guy who fit you is actually putting the club together I'm not sure where the "trained craftsmen" comes into play.

Since the components are made somewhere else and I'm sure even the grinds are pre fabricated I don't see what the difference is between someone in an assembly line somewhere and UPS putting them together is?

Even if the grinds are done to order you could have a few people trained to do that quick enough or even hire someone who isn't a UPS employee to do it.

Either way, while you don't get the benefit of someone fitting you for them, you can always send them back in 30 days if you don't like them and try a different configuration. If you already know what fits you then even better.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Archived