Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why Do We Play Golf?

Flv02

Why Do We Play Golf?

​A wise man once told me that “golf isn't easy.” When I was told this, I laughed. Then, I took my first swing. You could only imagine what I thought after that. I had no idea what I was getting into. This sport, which I started playing 4.5 years ago because my uncle opened up a golf store, has become a huge part of my life. It's on my mind constantly, whether I am thinking about the Tour, my past rounds, my next round, or scavenging eBay looking to waste more money on a great deal on equipment I do not need. When I wake up in the morning before work, I don't watch the news. Morning Drive goes straight on. Want to go for a lunch break? No thanks, I'll spend 45 minutes at GolfSmith , whacking balls on the launch monitor with every club imaginable. And you better believe that I have a live stream of the Tour on my computer at work during Thursdays and Fridays. This passion for a sport, whose concept is pretty stupid if you think about it (watch Robin Williams comedy act on golf if you don't believe me), has started to control my life. So it made me think, why do we play golf?

​These thoughts started driving me crazy just two days ago, when a co-worker of mine, Mike, found out that I have this passion for the game. Mike has a similar passion. He loves the game, and enjoys every second that he is on the course. These thoughts really struck me when he said that he played Bethpage Black a couple of days before, and that he shot a 110. He was very happy about it, and he should be. As a high 90 golfer, to shoot a 110 from the back tees at Bethpage Black is quite an accomplishment. Like most of you reading this, you understand his passion and his love about talking about the condition of the course, his good shots, and the bad shots that just make you laugh. What I want to know is this: is there any other sport where you can play terribly (which most of us do) and love it this much?

98% of golfers never break 100, and almost all of those golfers love the game. They look forward to that tee time, whether it is several times a week, or once a year. They don't mind that they are not good in the grand scheme of things, yet they still love the aspects of the game that keep them coming back. So what are these aspects?

1. Camaraderie – For me, this is the reason why I fell in love with the game in the first place. The laughs, the arguments, the traditions; nothing makes me feel better. I play every Friday at 5:30 with the same guys. Two of them are in their 60s, another is in his 30s and I am in my early 20s. Anyone can play this game, whether they are old or young, skinny or fat, man or woman, and you can play it for as long as you can swing a club. The technology today has also added to that. Just think about the clubs that we are lucky enough to purchase. With hybrids, senior flex shafts, and super game improvement irons, golfers can enjoy the game for the rest of their lives. Golf is very unique in that aspect. Whether you are young or old, just think about your annual golf trips and weekly tee times. You can't help but smile when you think about the good conversations, the great moments, and the great people you have met because of this wonderful game.

2. Relaxation- The sweet outdoors. Isn't it great? A lot of sports are not like that. Whether you are alone or with others, nothing is more relaxing than being out on the course. You all know the saying, right? “A bad day of golf is better than a good day of work.” Boy, does that hold true. To be out in nature, with your drinks and smokes of choice, what can be better? Yes, we all get frustrated sometimes, but you all have to admit, when you get out on that course, you try to forget all that stress in your life and relax.

3. Competition- Whether it be with yourself or with others, the competitive aspect also reminds us all that it is a sport. Whether you are playing a skins match with your buddies, or you are trying to beat your best round, there is always something to compete for. Tournaments are great as well. You all play them, both individual stroke play and team scrambles keep us all competitive while having a great time.

4. Challenge- Personally, this is another huge aspect to my passion for the game. I, like a lot of people I talk to, have been great at every sport growing up. As for me, I played hockey, basketball, baseball, and started on both sides of the ball on my varsity football team in high school. Sports always seemed to come naturally to me… well that was until I picked up my first golf club. This game is extremely challenging, and everyone always has something to improve on, including the pros. I mean isn't that why we all love watching the Open Championship? It makes the pros look like the rest of us. Yet, we still strive to be perfect. No one is perfect in this game, yet we are passionate about the journey to achieve the unachievable. That's why we say, at least in my foursome, “That's the one that'll make you come back,” after that one good shot per round. It's hard not to be a passionate about a game that is so difficult and a game where every milestone, whether it be breaking 100, 90, or 80, is well-celebrated.

Look, this article isn't meant to teach you anything and help you reduce your score. I wrote this to remind you all about why we love this game we call golf. Hopefully while you were reading, some great memories came into your head, and it is those memories that will keep your love for golf strong for the rest of your life. Share those stories with everyone, and make sure you remind them about your passion for the game.

Hit ‘em Straight.

(Thanks R.P. for correcting the never breaking 100 stat)

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

SOOOOOOO TRUE!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I got hooked on golf years ago. When I was in highschool, no one I knew played golf. After college, a buddy of mine talked me into taking up the game. I had been playing semi-pro baseball and was about to give it up. Golf seemed like it would be fun. It became an obsession. I thought about golf all the time. I played every chance I got.

From the Legend of Bagger Vance...

Rannulph Junuh: You really love this game, don't you?

Hardy Greaves: It's the greatest game there is.

Rannulph Junuh: You really think so?

Hardy Greaves: Ask anybody. It's fun. It's hard and you stand out there on that green, green grass, and it's just you and the ball and there ain't nobody to beat up on but yourself; just like Mister Newnan keeps hittin' himself with the golf club every time he gets angry. He's broken his toe three times on account of it. It's the only game I know that you can call a penalty on yourself, if you're honest, which most people are. There just ain't no other game like it.

You know...that really sums it up pretty well...It really is the greatest game there is.

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

Archived