TESTERS WANTED! ×

Which tee box?

Sluggo42

I personally don't mind which box I hit from. I'm just long enough to be able to hit from the tips, and don't mind playing from the whites, I can use irons or 3-woods.

I wonder if there are any rules or guidelines for which box one SHOULD hit from..

I was watching the weekend warriors teeing off yesterday while I worked on chipping and was amazed at the ariety of players on the tees. Unfortunately, if I were in charge, I would have had the most of them hit from the reds. I imagine those games were lasting six hours... Yikes...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Very simple. Play from where you can reasonably get par. If you're going driver 3wood on par 4s, then that isn't reasonable, but if you're going driver, wedge on par 4s, then you probably need to move back.

Then again, if a person messes up half their shots, even if they're long, it's probably better to tee forward.

I usually play from the blues which is either the second farthest or second farthest tees depending on the course. I don't really play the tips on most courses because they are usually a bit too far for me. I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to play well enough from the blues to move to tips. But that won't be until I can shoot in the 70's a fair amount of the time I play.

Just my opinion...

If you need to hit long irons into par four greens and aren't a low single digit handicapper you're playing from too far back. Most par fours should easily be reachable with a 6/7 iron or less. Same goes for par threes. If your third shot on a par five (after two good shots) is more than 100 yards you're playing the wrong tees as well.

I usually look at the scorecard to see how long the course is when deciding which box to play from.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'll typically play wherever the group I've joined up with tees off from. If I go by myself, I'll typically go blue or black. I like the black as it gives me some longer shots at the green on a few holes. My local track is only 6400 from the blues and 6900 from the tips.

How are those lengths compared to your track?

My local course has blue, white and red tee boxes.Blue being the farthest and red the closest. I play from the white tees most of the time because that's where most of the guys I play with are comfortable and my league plays from those, also.

I would rather play the blues and I usually do when I play alone. Ironically, I score better from the farther tees. I find myself between clubs from the closer tees a lot of times.

Driver distance

150 or less = red

150-190 = gold

190-240 = white

240-276 = blue

276- up = a longer course.

I am not sure these numbers are exact but the "Ladies' Tees" the "Seniors' Tees" and the "Men's Tees" etc are misnomers. The original concept was that by using a handicap system and a system of different tees changing the length of a hole but having each player hit similar clubs into the green. For example, if a hole plays 410 yards and there are two golfers. One golfer hits his 8 iron 157 and his driver 253. The other hits his 8 iron 135 and driver 210. He should be playing from tees that are 345 for this to be a fair test of golfing skills.

This game is not so much about how far you can hit the ball. It is about controlling the ball and making it roll into the hole. Somewhere along the way it has been turned into a how far you hit the ball, and the names like Seniors' and Ladies' and other names and some pride thing that players are embarrassed to move up to the tee where they can play better.

My course has come up with a solution for people playing from the wrong tees. Numbers 11 and 18 now have forced carries over water. Number 11 if you can not hit the ball in the air more than 150 you better play from the red. Shorter than 190 you will not carry the water from the white so move up to the gold. Shorter than 240 from the blue and you will be dropping from the dz so move to the whites.

Pretty much the same story on 2 but that is to the dogleg. We have had this set up for a number of years and guys have not quite gotten the understanding of moving up. If you do not make the turn you simply do not get to go for the green. 11 however, once it is fully open, teeboxes are new and we are all playing from temp tees off to the left. But once this is fully open and there is water in this lake instead of a big hole in the ground, it will have people moving up. Or taking a drop.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

150 or less = red

150-190 = gold

190-240 = white

240-276 = blue

276- up = a longer course.

I am not sure these numbers are exact but the "Ladies' Tees" the "Seniors' Tees" and the "Men's Tees" etc are misnomers. The original concept was that by using a handicap system and a system of different tees changing the length of a hole but having each player hit similar clubs into the green. For example, if a hole plays 410 yards and there are two golfers. One golfer hits his 8 iron 157 and his driver 253. The other hits his 8 iron 135 and driver 210. He should be playing from tees that are 345 for this to be a fair test of golfing skills.

This game is not so much about how far you can hit the ball. It is about controlling the ball and making it roll into the hole. Somewhere along the way it has been turned into a how far you hit the ball, and the names like Seniors' and Ladies' and other names and some pride thing that players are embarrassed to move up to the tee where they can play better.

My course has come up with a solution for people playing from the wrong tees. Numbers 11 and 18 now have forced carries over water. Number 11 if you can not hit the ball in the air more than 150 you better play from the red. Shorter than 190 you will not carry the water from the white so move up to the gold. Shorter than 240 from the blue and you will be dropping from the dz so move to the whites.

Pretty much the same story on 2 but that is to the dogleg. We have had this set up for a number of years and guys have not quite gotten the understanding of moving up. If you do not make the turn you simply do not get to go for the green. 11 however, once it is fully open, teeboxes are new and we are all playing from temp tees off to the left. But once this is fully open and there is water in this lake instead of a big hole in the ground, it will have people moving up. Or taking a drop.

Right. It's not to put you in the same place off the tee, it's so you're hitting a similar club to the green. Which means, the shorter hitter should actually still be farther up the fairway off the tee than the longer hitter from the back tees.

Depends on the individual player. I played today with a young woman that is a college freshman and she played back at the back tees with me and had the game to do so. The four men in front of us were playing the back tees as well and had no point back there which caused me to play 11 holes and walk off after 4.5 hours.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I personally find that I shoot similar scores whether I play from the blues (tips) or the whites (equivalent of most blues) at my course (granted, the tips are still only about 6800~6900 yards) because I'm not bothered by longer iron shots, irons are the strongest part of my game. I'll usually be on the green whether I have a wedge or a 6 iron in. Short game is where I get hurt most of the time.

In the bag as of now...

Driver: Titleist 909 D3 9.5* w/ Diamana Kai'li 60 X
3-wood: Callaway RAZR Fit 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S
5-wood: Callaway RAZR Fit 18* w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S
Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-64 w/ Project X 5.5
Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11 52*, 56*, 60* w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Byron Design 007 w/ Superstroke Ultra Slim 1.0
Balls: Taylormade Penta TP5 or Tour Preferred X

I'm exactly like Sluggo. I play wherever the group plays which is usually the whites. If I'm by myself, I play from the blacks because I hit my driver 285-305. My scores are actually better from the blacks. When I play from the whites, I find myself with a lot of half shots and 3/4 shots that I just haven't perfected yet. I know I can course manage around that, but for my weekly rounds, it's very relaxed and everybody just hits driver for the fun of it. On the other hand, when I go to Myrtle this week, ill be playing hybrids and long irons off the tee because I'm trying to kick my uncles ass haha

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Since we are on the topic of tee boxes, is it bad etiquette to play from farther tees when the majority of your group plays from whites or something?

I don't think it would be bad etiquette if you were playing with people who you were relatively close with, or who you at least knew by name, and it didn't slow down your group's pace of play. If you're joining another group of strangers and you're the minority though... tough call. I'd say play from the tee boxes that the most number of people play from.

In the bag as of now...

Driver: Titleist 909 D3 9.5* w/ Diamana Kai'li 60 X
3-wood: Callaway RAZR Fit 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S
5-wood: Callaway RAZR Fit 18* w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S
Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-64 w/ Project X 5.5
Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11 52*, 56*, 60* w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
Putter: Byron Design 007 w/ Superstroke Ultra Slim 1.0
Balls: Taylormade Penta TP5 or Tour Preferred X

Since we are on the topic of tee boxes, is it bad etiquette to play from farther tees when the majority of your group plays from whites or something?

Yes- unless you're playing with women. If you go out and shoot three or four under from the forward tees then you can play the tees back. But if you're not exactly lighting the course up- tee it forward with them.

If ya can't put the ball in the hole, your game ain't worth a sh*t and until they start deducting strokes for 280-300 yard drives, play the whites, learn how to play the game, then move back if you'd like.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Thats the apporach I have taken. Thanks to my lessons I am able to hit the ball much more solid which of course means much more distance but because I can not do it 10/10 times with every club through my bag. So until then I will play from the white, or blues depending on the length of the course because i want to give myself the best chance to score well and also learn to hit different shots i might not encounter if i were to just play further back

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

If I choose, I usually play the blues, (6500 ish), I get paired with many different people, and they play where they are comfortable. I have the length to play the back tees, but have found that my score isn't much more different from the blues. The difference is that from the back tees I will hit driver more often, whereas from the blues I hit 3 and 5 wood, the course I playregular is very difficult, so fairway is very important, at our club the way I can tell whether guys are playing from the correct tees or not is the club they choose on the first tee. Gold-295, white-341, blue-352, black-386. Basically if you play driver on this hole you are playing the incorrect tees, I say that because there is too much trouble on this opening hole, and it's not long enough of a hole to play driver, unless you are too far back.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I usually look at the scorecard to see how long the course is when deciding which box to play from.

Same with me. I have had several "discussions" with people who contend they have paid their money and they have the right to play from whereever they want to play from saying they can play from the tips and can keep up. I find that is not really true always.

I play well enough that I can play a 7000 yard course, even at my age. However, I don't enjoy it because my score is going to be ugly. I will be chipping 3rd shots on a lot of long par 4s.

About 6500 yards these days is the most I want to play.

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

Same with me. I have had several "discussions" with people who contend they have paid their money and they have the right to play from whereever they want to play from saying they can play from the tips and can keep up. I find that is not really true always.

I play well enough that I can play a 7000 yard course, even at my age. However, I don't enjoy it because my score is going to be ugly. I will be chipping 3rd shots on a lot of long par 4s.

About 6500 yards these days is the most I want to play.

While it doesbt seem that way 6500 yards is still a lot of distance. Just a shade over 3.5 miles long.

While it doesbt seem that way 6500 yards is still a lot of distance. Just a shade over 3.5 miles long.

I checked a few of the courses around and 6500 is not a short track, and 7000 is as long or longer than most.

For me, that means the par fives are all out of reach in two, and the par threes are now scary, in the 200 range or more. Some days I can get the 4 iron or the hybrid there, some days I need a good chip up on those holes.

I think my short chipping game lessons were perhaps the best thing that happened to my scorecard....

Plus, playing from the long tees helps in that when you do play with people on the white tees, the same holes are now less imposing...

Just my opinion...

If you need to hit long irons into par four greens and aren't a low single digit handicapper you're playing from too far back. Most par fours should easily be reachable with a 6/7 iron or less. Same goes for par threes. If your third shot on a par five (after two good shots) is more than 100 yards you're playing the wrong tees as well.

Spot on +1 or whatever accolade could be given. I will add that since most people significanlty over estimate the distance that they hit the ball consider this equation, figure out which tee you think you should be on and move up a set. :)

It's meant to be fun. Fun is not being pressured to hit the best drive of your life hole after hole and then having to follow that up with a 5 iron (that should be a 4 hybrid) into a heavily bunkered green.

I'm a huge advocate for the old days on this one where courses have two sets of tees for the day - the forward and the back tees.

That very select less than 1 percent that is off the charts good could always receive a clubhouse excemption to play from the tips.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If you are playing for fun, then play wherever the group is playing from.

In competition, whether it be for $1000 or for bragging rights, everyone should play tees based on handicap..........single digits from the tips and go up from there. If you are a 3 handicap, then you should have just as much chance of making birdie as me, even when you're hitting 7i or 8i to my SW.

Are you going to make a 20 handicap play the tips, just because they hit it 300+ off the tee? They obviously struggle with getting the ball in the hole, so they should get any help they can. And yes, I know a couple guys that can hit it close to 300, yet they are 20+ handicaps.........they CAN hit it 300, but probably only average 240, due to poor ball striking.

RP: Hah! No, more like my love of math.

I look at it like this. If you don't know how far you hit your 5 iron, you play the tee's furthest forward. If it'll crush your ego to play the front tee's, then step back one.

If you do, then apply the math. Heck, nearly everyone has a phone with a calculator on it so they don't even have to do such basic math themselves.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I personally don't mind which box I hit from. I'm just long enough to be able to hit from the tips, and don't mind playing from the whites, I can use irons or 3-woods.

I wonder if there are any rules or guidelines for which box one SHOULD hit from..

I was watching the weekend warriors teeing off yesterday while I worked on chipping and was amazed at the ariety of players on the tees. Unfortunately, if I were in charge, I would have had the most of them hit from the reds. I imagine those games were lasting six hours... Yikes...

It's not the tee box, though that does take a few minuits more if too long, it's the player who cannot come to a quick assessment, decision and execution. Much more time is consumed by players hemming and hawing before and after every shot as if they were on stage rather than doing a quick read, making a decision and executing.

Shambles

I'm a huge advocate for the old days on this one where courses have two sets of tees for the day - the forward and the back tees.

There are still a couple courses around me that do that. I LOVE the two sets of tees. I hate that most courses now have 4 or more sets of tee markers out there. All ya need are two sets!

Damn around where I live I never see 7000+ yard courses even from the farthest tees. The only course that I can think of that is like this is Los Serranos Country Club, South Course. It's a nice place to play for a good price. I haven't played blacks but I do play blues when I play there and I'm able to play well and shoot my handicap. Blacks are 7521 yards and blues are 7117 yards. One of the reasons the blacks differ so much from the blues is because of 18, a long par 5. From the blues it's 592 but from the blacks it's 677. That's not completely why but that hole does add a nice chunk of yardage to overall course length.

Yes it is. And on some days it seems like 10 miles when I play it left, right, left, left, right, right...well you get the point.

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

I appreciate the props on the two sets of tees - think of the fun you can create - you get a group with a bomber and three average guys and the back set of tees is set at 6,400 yards - Remember Merion used to play at around 6,500 for the US Open and when you look at the course set up for the tour in the 80's there would be courses in the 6,400 - 6,500 range - sure the big boys shot lights out - their average drive at that point was 260 - ours today is 210 - 240 for better players - I'd think 6,400 would be more than long enough - at that yardage you could have a nice compliment of long and short holes with plenty of risk/rewards mixed in - you could have a par 5 that is around 440 giving lots of people a crack at reaching it in 2, maybe a couple of par 4's around the same length, a par 4 at 250 - you see the possibilities.

Make the game fun - give us a chance to putt for eagle and be the one who hits iron off the tee to lay up while the others drive into the trouble around the green.

I get tired of playing the third set of tees, having hole after hole where I hit driver, mid iron or hybrid, am constantly playing for the middle of the green - I'd like some strategy back on these better courses.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived