TESTERS WANTED! ×

Which tee box?

Sluggo42

I believe in KISS and it don't get much simpler than the above equation

Or more appropriate

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

I don't quite agree with your 7 iron to reach theory.Many of today's par 4's are designed to be played with a long or mid iron second shot. With many 470 yd + par 4's even from the second set of tees, only monsters will be hitting 7's into the green. Assume a decent player drives 240 yds that still leaves 230 to the green center.I don't know any players including the Tour guys that hit 7's that far. 500 yard long par 4's are becoming rather common place and "normal humans" need to hit fairway woods and hybrids to most of them. I am 78 y/o GHIN index 5.3 and find that from the second set of tees---6700 yds, that I require a whole lot more than 7 to reach several of the par 4's.As an old fart, I may have gotten shorter off the tee but I can still hold my own with 99% of the guys I see playing at any age.

These days with my length, or should I say the lack of length, I find myself hitting from the whites on 90% of the courses I play. I just do not enjoy having a 200+ yard 2nd shot on par 4's or 275 yard par 3's that I have no hope of getting to even with a driver unless a gale force wind is blowing that direction. Golf, to me, is all about having fun. If I'm out there getting more and more frustrated on a long difficult course, that is not fun.

Last season, I got to play the Dove Mountain Ritz Carlton course where the pros play the Accenture Match play in Tucson. While it was a beautiful setting and course, that was the hardest, most frustrating day I've had playing golf in years!! I got out of there with a 100 playing the blues because the other members of the group were "Rambos". A good day for me is lower 80's from the whites and a great day is upper 70's.

Joe

i usually play from the whites with the group that i play with. we play a round between 3.5 and 4 hours if we arent held up.im not a long hitter at all. as stated above im almost always hitting driver ,3 wood into par 4s but im almost always on green or around green. i have an 18 handicap which by no means puts me in an elite group but that is where ive played from for years.actually thinking about moving up to gold tees since im now 55 but thats another story

cobra bio-cell driver,3 and 5 wood

adams v3 hybrid iron set

4-5-6 hybrids

7 thru gap wedge

left handed adams idea 9 iron just in case

odessey white ice 2 ball belly putter

I just realized I have a friend if mine who is a going to be a sophomore this coming year who hits long irons and woods on approach shots on par 4's. I believe he's around a 5 or 6 handicap and he's a short hitter but man he is so accurate with his 4 iron, 3 woods, and other long clubs. He uses those for shots over 170 and he can play good. So the whole thing about mostly hitting 7 iron on approach shots isn't am accurate statment. I believe he was fourth in scoring average as a freshman with a 39 scoring average which is good for our team, we had one other guy who had a scoring average like that freshman year but he never played that well again. You would've expected him to play for a Division I or a really good Divison II team about 3 years ago but he went to community college. Just shows you how some short hitters can really outplay a lot of people.

If you are playing for fun, then play wherever the group is playing from.

In competition, whether it be for $1000 or for bragging rights, everyone should play tees based on handicap..........single digits from the tips and go up from there. If you are a 3 handicap, then you should have just as much chance of making birdie as me, even when you're hitting 7i or 8i to my SW.

Are you going to make a 20 handicap play the tips, just because they hit it 300+ off the tee? They obviously struggle with getting the ball in the hole, so they should get any help they can. And yes, I know a couple guys that can hit it close to 300, yet they are 20+ handicaps.........they CAN hit it 300, but probably only average 240, due to poor ball striking.

Perfect response! Just because you can spank it on say 5/10 drives doesn't mean your ready to play from the tips.

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: Wilson Staff D-100 hybrid 3 16°, Matrix OZIK Altus 5.6: 60 gram

Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°

Irons: Wilson Staff D-100 4-Pw. Gw, Sw, Matrix Studio 6.1 Graphite: 65 gram

Wedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW with set of D-100’s

Putter: Current Hippo Attacker 1 Switching to: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)

Ball: Wilson Staff DUO/Z-Star/FG Tour

Bag: Bag Boy - Revolver

Backup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shafts

Whatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!What’s in the bag:Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaftFairway: Cobra AMP Cell 3-4 HYB: 4 plus = 21°, 4 plus Draw = 21° Draw, 4 = 22° *Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Irons 5- Sw, MRC Graphite ShaftWedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW in AMP Cell setPutter: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)Ball: Titlest VelocityBag: Bag Boy - RevolverBackup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shaftsWhatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!

Coudn't agree more. As we discussed, my Bro has a SS similar to yours, and would routinely outdrive me by 25-40 yards, and I averaged 263-264 for the season, which is middle of the pack for the guys that I play with. He was a 4 hdcp(3.8), and played in some of the scratch swats, which simply means, no hdcp. Everyone plays their raw score.

He never beat me head up, and if I had given him the 2 strokes, he woulda won only a handful of times. This year, if I were playing, it very well could be a different story, cuz he's finally learned that 120yds in and his putting will take him to plus. He's at 2 now, and will drop to just over 1 in the next period.

Then, take someone like SMRT, who has a SS similar to Bonesy & my Brother, and he dents driver heads, snaps shafts & if he could keep the ball in the grid, would probably kick ass in the LD contests that he enters. And that's the thing. He could just as easily be 320 yds in his fairway, or 320 yds in yours, a faiway over. So just because he hits the ball a ton, he's still a 24 hdcp. I have no doubt that he will someday tee it up from the blacks, cuz ya can't teach speed, and he seems to have a good head for the game and the drive to improve.

So, someone like that, I would never tell em where to play. Most guys have the sense, decency and etiquette to play the appropriate tees.

And it's not fair for me to comment regarding my response to playing behind someone playing the "wrong" tees, because, #1, when I usually tee off, our group(s) usually have the course in front of us on the week-end mornings, and during the week, no tee times are given to groups 48 minutes before we tee off, unless it's a onesy or twosome in a cart, and ya can play.

I do know that the starters always make it clear up front, on the first tee, what tees that group's going to play. We do not have on-course marshalls, hell, we don't have marshalls, though except for club events, which is always a quagmire, we have no problems with peeps playing the wrong tees and holding others up.

When the day comes that I lose more than I win, and/or I'm not competitive in the tourneys that I'm playing in, then I move up and enter other swats and tournaments. I've got a pretty healthy ego & I'm not into getting my ass kicked, lol, so noone's gonna have to tell me when it's time to move, haha.

I'm used to winning more than I lose, and if I gotta move up to do it, so be it. The dollars gained from the blues and whites spend just as easily as those from the blacks/golds, and crystal's crystal, and the silver tarishes just the same, regardles of what tees that ya win it on, lol B)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Very well said sir. I am going to steal that bit to use on some of my egomaniac colleagues. The dollars gained from the blues and whites spend just as easily as those from the blacks/golds

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Wedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW with set of D-100’s

Putter: Current Hippo Attacker 1 Switching to: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)

Backup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shafts

Whatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!What’s in the bag:Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 10° with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaftFairway: Cobra AMP Cell 3-4 HYB: 4 plus = 21°, 4 plus Draw = 21° Draw, 4 = 22° *Utility: 7 Wood Custom Stainless – Knight Golf 24°Irons: Cobra AMP Cell Irons 5- Sw, MRC Graphite ShaftWedges: Pinemeadow 64° and 68°, Alien 2 Pro Series 1 – 60°, PW, GW, & SW in AMP Cell setPutter: Gel Golf CNC milled insert putter (Sapphire model, Mallet style)Ball: Titlest VelocityBag: Bag Boy - RevolverBackup Irons: King Cobra irons from the late 80’s 3-sw graphite regular flex shaftsWhatever doesn’t kill me, had better start running!

here's my thoughts: play what you can play. period. if you hit your drives 220 yards, then play up. if you are like me and are long, but not good, play back, but consider hitting an iron or 3 wood off the tee. and if you have some extra distance off the tee, consider playing the same tees as your shorter friends to get some practice with your other clubs...you may be surprised- the game may take longer this way. and seriously, fellas- be courteous. nothing slows a game down like a guy whos nervous because everyone's hustling him up. really, unless youre trying to shoot a score, relax and let the fun of the group be your fun, also.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Take your honest 5 iron distance and times it by 36 then pick the ones closest.

HA! That actually works on the 3 courses I play most regularly :D

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Playing in Australia this whole concept seems quite strange.

Because all of our rounds have to be in competition to count for handicapping everyone plays off the same tees in the comp of the day. My course is about 7030 yards from the tips and that is the yardage we play on Saturdays and for club champs and other board events. During the week the shorter course is in play which is probably around 6500 - 6700.

There are plenty of older memebrs who only hit their drives 180 - 200 max and don't hit any GIR. That's what their handicap is for!

Playing in Australia this whole concept seems quite strange.

Because all of our rounds have to be in competition to count for handicapping everyone plays off the same tees in the comp of the day. My course is about 7030 yards from the tips and that is the yardage we play on Saturdays and for club champs and other board events. During the week the shorter course is in play which is probably around 6500 - 6700.

There are plenty of older memebrs who only hit their drives 180 - 200 max and don't hit any GIR. That's what their handicap is for!

Oh, that's what the handicap is for? I was thinking it was because I play military golf. Left, Right, Left. ROFL

Sláinte

What’s in the bag:

Archived