Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Jason Dufner's Guidlines to Fitting Numbers

whiskey golf

I remember reading this Golf Digest article when it came out and it was talking about Jason Dufner testing out the 2013 Pro V1's. Although the whole thing was interesting, there was one small part that caught my eye. It talked about what guidelines Dufner uses when he looks at launch and spin numbers, for irons. It said that for spin it is 1000 times the number on the club. For launch, it is half of what the loft is. I don't know anything about launch and spin numbers but for those that do, is this considered a good guideline for the average player? The other thing is though that he has a tour swing speed but I don't know how much that changes the ideal numbers for a player. Here's how it would look if let's say that he was using stock Titleist AP2's.

3 iron- 3000 RPM, 10.5 launch

4 iron- 4000 RPM, 12 launch

5 iron- 5000 RPM, 13.5 launch

6 iron- 6000 RPM, 15.5 launch

7 iron- 7000 RPM, 17.5 launch

8 iron- 8000 RPM, 19.5 launch

9 iron- 9000 RPM, 21.5 launch

PW- 10,000 RPM, 24.5 launch

If you want to read the whole article yourself then here's the link

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2013-05/get-fit-jason-dufner

That'd be an insane amount of spin by the time you got to your wedges. But the way he was making balls back up during the PGA championship it makes sense for his game

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

That'd be an insane amount of spin by the time you got to your wedges. But the way he was making balls back up during the PGA championship it makes sense for his game

I'm not sure what he would do when it comes to driver or wedges, I wish it talked about that though.

You aren't going to see the same spin jumps when you move to the wedges. As the loft gets higher, the strike becomes more glancing and spin increases start to get minimal.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

You aren't going to see the same spin jumps when you move to the wedges. As the loft gets higher, the strike becomes more glancing and spin increases start to get minimal.

Is 10000 rpm out of the realm of possibility?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

A lot of the variance in numbers can come from which ball you play. Those numbers might make sense for a Pro-V, but not for a Pinnacle.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Is 10000 rpm out of the realm of possibility?

Nope. Most with a trapping style swing will get that out of a mid loft wedge or pretty close to. Those who sweep/pick, will have a harder time.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived